Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you want an interesting pizza topping try banana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
who let Doug online

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bowmore posted:

Angel is great, better than Buffy imo

all the Buffy games have been terrible unfortunately

How many tv shows, regardless of genre or quality, have good video game adaptations anyway? There was a brief period where Activision was making surprisingly above average movie tie-ins, but I can't think of a single good tv show video game off the top of my head. Even Walking Dead doesn't count because it's explicitly based on the comics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

who let Doug online

Mr. Dink was showing off his new OC48 hookup

Lurdiak posted:

How many tv shows, regardless of genre or quality, have good video game adaptations anyway? There was a brief period where Activision was making surprisingly above average movie tie-ins, but I can't think of a single good tv show video game off the top of my head. Even Walking Dead doesn't count because it's explicitly based on the comics.

Jeopardy!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Check out my new Fortnite skin, Douglas. Very expensive.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

No idea but being based on a TV show shouldn’t be an excuse to make a poo poo game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5GulSb8zA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bowmore posted:

if you want an interesting pizza topping try banana

sorry!

I zoned out while listening to the Kentucky Route Zero OST so it was in the oven about a minute longer than I'd have preferred, but it's still good.

Red sauce and mozzarella (some grated pecorino too), onion, green onion whites, jalapeno, genoa salami, smoked sausage slices. Finished with a blend of green onion, spinach, fresh oregano, chopped rosemary, and crushed red pepper

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bowmore posted:

No idea but being based on a TV show shouldn’t be an excuse to make a poo poo game

It's not like any developer is getting a decent budget to make a tie-in video game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lurdiak posted:

People like Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bowmore posted:

It's not an excuse, I'm just wondering.

Anyway I'm remembering the Disney Afternoon nes games and I guess those count.

Waffleman_ posted:

People like Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

I should play that.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i wish photos of me looked half as good as these fuckin pizzas

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's a version of that game they played in The Queen's Gambit, heard it was pretty good

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Relax Or DIE posted:

i wish photos of me looked half as good as these fuckin pizzas

same

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Just wanna vent for a moment. Resetera manages to continuously gently caress up when it comes to making threads without actually reading the info.

See this information was released alongside a new Info Dump of Nintendo Gigaleak stuff:

https://twitter.com/orcastraw/status/1341178144708059136

https://twitter.com/orcastraw/status/1341178349616558081

Resetera makes a thread including all the information pertaining to this, links to all the leaked files including the guy's actual name. Congrats you just ended up doxxing the guy.

Good job man. It was really worth it to make that thread and include everything huh?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Gouto is a loving knowitall nerd with no friends.

Yeah, a good kid

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think I just had a peak 13 sentinels moment when I came into a scene thinking I was starting to get it all and then a couple minutes later I swear I can hear the game laugh at me about just how little I really know.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

got owned by a spammer today trying to blackmail me by threatening to send a compromising video to my "eight friends"

please... i'll pay you the bitcoin if you don't go around saying i only have eight friends...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I think I just had a peak 13 sentinels moment when I came into a scene thinking I was starting to get it all and then a couple minutes later I swear I can hear the game laugh at me about just how little I really know.

i thought i'd immunized myself to the game's constant "forget everything you know about [x]" routine by the 3/4's mark and then it slapped me across the loving chops again in the last thirty minutes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it “sci fi twist: the game” or is there a broader point to it

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ariong posted:

It’s time for one final challenge.

https://youtu.be/KIFtMpMYNsg

So does that make this eligible for 2020 GOTY?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is it “sci fi twist: the game” or is there a broader point to it

most visual novels like to throw in Big Revelations that totally re-contextualize the story, 13S just does a better job of it than most

in the end the story's an overcomplicated page-turner more than anything really profound but it does its thing with a lot of flair and skill, nearly all of the numerous threads it introduces are satisfyingly tied up by the end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Airborne Kingdom is a very pretty game

It's a very lightweight city builder (in all senses of the word, I beat it in two evenings and I wouldn't say there's much replay value) and if you don't want to ever get an Epic Store exclusive then oh well, but at $10 it's the right price for such a pleasant experience, really polished work from a small team. The music was really good too

https://twitter.com/AWanderingBand/status/1340014323842871297

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I remember a bunch of people being really skeptical of Disco Elysium because all anyone seemed to talk about for a while were the twitter-friendly lefty politics jokes and so a lot of people assumed it was just some leftist meme game. But it's also such an imaginative RPG with a ton of emotional resonance and catharsis. I hope some of those people gave it a chance eventually.

Yeah and especially frustrating because you can play the whole game without engaging directly with political themes, or going against the interaction itself... the game is a lot less coherent than some people make it out to be, something I mean entirely as a compliment

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mall Santa Metis posted:

eight friends...

nice humblebrag :negative:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think I'm the only one that didn't like the ending of 13 Sentinels, but it makes kinda sense that a game that has included like every other scifi trope would include that scifi trope too

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Exquisite tea was right, The Pathless is very very drat good. Big SOTC vibes along with the Journey aesthetics. Awesome

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

nice humblebrag :negative:

if you pay me in bitcoin i have someone who will spread the word of your eight friends

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
what I'm hearing from Metis is that your Myspace Top 8 got hacked

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

oh no, Tom is gonna see my deepest darkest secrets!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you don’t pay me $500 I’m going to post a video of me masturbating that I acquired after hacking my computer’s webcam

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah and especially frustrating because you can play the whole game without engaging directly with political themes, or going against the interaction itself... the game is a lot less coherent than some people make it out to be, something I mean entirely as a compliment

I'm really looking forward to playing through it again once the updated version comes out in March. I didn't want to do a replay right away because my first playthrough felt so right and I was having a hard time doing things differently, but I think enough time has passed, and I'm excited to see what's new.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you ever have a friendly fight with an old pal where you just stab them in the gut over and over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR7cpCgWgLY

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played through Call of the Sea over the last couple of days. Gorgeous graphics and setting - particularly loved the tropical rain as you clamber up to the top of the mountain. Pastiche Lovecraftian plot that is instantly recognisable in the first five minutes of the game to anyone with any sort of familiarity with his work (plot spoiler) oh no please help I have turning-into-a-fishman disease. I don't feel like there were any particular novelties or twists to the plot, and the ending choice that seems mandatory in certain sorts of adventure games feels forced and ultimately doesn't really change anything. There are a number of cute little nods to the Mythos scattered throughout the game, references to Charles Dexter Ward, Erich Zann and Innsmouth amongst others. These little easter eggs are well balanced and I think there's just enough of them to be interesting, but not so many as to be obnoxious. They're nice winks to the Mythos for those who have familiarity with it, without feeling too much like the devs are trying to beat you over the head with Lovecraft injokes every five seconds.

I'm fairly certain that English wasn't the devs first language and it unfortunately shows - there's some awkward phrasing in the dialogue, and typos in written journal entries. I do wonder if this has anything to do with Cissy Jones' remarkably flat voice acting for the protagonist, Norah. Norah as portrayed by Jones is unperturbed by literally anything and everything the island throws at her, showing about as much concern for her missing husband as you might for some misplaced keys. There are lines later in the game that go some way to explain, perhaps, some degree of Norah's lack of reaction to the chain of events on the island, but even this narrative contrivance isn't sold through the dialogue. The only emotion she appears to show is in the last five minutes or so of the game, and even then the dialogue is overwrought and clumsily delivered. I loved Cissy Jones in Firewatch so I wonder if this might have been a failure of direction combined with dialogue written in another language and then translated to English. Yuri Lowenthal's performance as your missing husband Harry lands much better, he sells the progression of his character throughout the expedition whose footsteps you are retracing fairly well, though again a lot of his dialogue feels roughly written, particularly in the final chapters of the game.

Puzzle design is quite good; they're logical, well clued and understandable within the game world. The game is broken into discrete chapters, with each chapter taking place in its own locale that will generally contain a few small puzzles that lead to a larger, central puzzle that you need to solve by finding clues in the area. I really love the game's journal system - any relevant clues that Norah finds are written/drawn in her journal, meaning when it comes time to solve the central puzzle of an area you will generally have all the information you require to hand. More games could stand to have features like this. There's some minor aggravations; interactable hotspots are easily missed, as they're only denoted by a white dot that resolves to a symbol of some kind (magnifying glass for examinable, cog for manipulable) as you approach. I got stuck on one chapter for far longer than necessary simply because I completely missed a core part of the puzzle as I hadn't realised you could do anything with it. Having a hotkey to highly interaction points on the screen like many modern adventure games do would have been a godsend. A few puzzles involved some schlepping around an area as well to adjust bits and pieces of machinery and the like, though most of these are quite respectful of the player's time save one or two missteps.

It's also worth mentioning that I found it to be quite a buggy game. Dialogue subtitles frequently don't match what's spoken. In letters you find from your husband, there are animated sequences that play while the dialogue is narrated to you, except that in my game not a single one of these worked and I just had an empty glowing white box flicker on screen while the letter was read. These are all ultimately minor annoyances, but I did find one extremely irritating showstopper. In one dream sequence, picking up any of the interactable items within an area resulted in me softlocking - as far as I can tell, Norah is supposed to say a voice line when you pick these up, but the voice line failed to trigger. Since the game won't let you interact with the examinable object in any way until after the voice line finishes, you're then just left softlocked until you reload from the checkpoint. This happened with multiple items in the area until I gave up and just picked up the one thing the game wanted me to interact with to progress out of the dream sequence.

I played it on Game Pass and don't regret spending the time to have done so - it's not a long game - but I'd be pretty hard pressed to recommend it to anyone. There are better adventure games out there, and there are better cosmic horror games out there. If you want some sun-soaked cosmic horror that forgoes any sort of direct scares, then maybe you'll get enough enjoyment out of it to warrant the time invested.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks for that effortpost! I feel comfortable pushing that one down my backlog I guess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

If you don’t pay me $500 I’m going to post a video of me masturbating that I acquired after hacking my computer’s webcam

Didn’t know Roger A Muirbe was into that sort of thing

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to “expose him immediately” though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/1341230631913541633/photo/1

lol a nintendo leak revealed nintendo's loving insane stalker notes on a 3ds hacker

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:eyepop:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That seems illegal but lol at the burn about lack of friends and eating at restaurants alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I tried this, as promised, and it seems to have double of all the parts of dark souls 1 I wasn't too attached to without having any of the parts I liked and also the control scheme is horrific