Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So, I did like a 20 second test of the setup, recording acoustic guitar and vocals. Everything is working great, but I'm a little concerned about low volume levels. I'm using Pro Tools First on a MacBook Air, recording with a Sennheiser e835 mic through a FocusRite Scarlett 2i2. This is my first time using Pro Tools; my needs are simple and may well never outgrow First, and it came for free with the interface, so I thought I might as well try it out, and it seems to be going well enough so far.

Since I'm only using a single mic, I'm recording acoustic guitar first on track 1, and then vocals on track 2. I am aware that the e835 is a dynamic mic and that that's not preferred, but I owned it already and I'm trying to take this thread's advice to heart and not spend extra money until I feel that what I already own isn't getting the job done. The mic is on a boom stand and is connected to the Scarlett with an XLR cable.

Everything sounds good, no audio quality problems, but the volume levels on the track seem kind of low, especially on the acoustic guitar. I can hear it and all, but the waveform doesn't fill much of the track. The mic is a couple inches from the soundhole -- as close as is practical while not risking my arm hitting the mic while strumming -- and I'm playing the guitar at normal volume with a pick. I have the gain cranked pretty high on the Scarlett, and if I go much higher the clip light ring starts to go yellow or even red.

I"m not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is the expected result. Maybe it's because the e835 is a dynamic mic, vs. a condenser? Maybe I'm meant to be setting gain or something in Pro Tools as well? Maybe this is what's supposed to happen, maybe volume will be normalized during mixing? Something could always be broken, I suppose, but given the otherwise good results, I'm leaning away from that explanation.

Unrelated question: I was reading around ehomerecordingstudio.com -- that site seems legit? -- and they are big boosters of this "Train Your Ears" system for learning how to mix. I definitely do not have audio engineering experience and would love to develop some skills. I have no idea if that's a respected program, or if it's a scam or something shoddy that that site is involved with or gets kickbacks for. Is that, or something similar, at all worth pursuing?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I got my Scarlett working too although it was a PITA. I swear I had to register for like 5 different things and then when I first hooked it up the USB donk donk sound went crazy. It's going pretty good now though. Haven't tried recording anything yet though, just noodling around on my guitar for now.

Yeah, if you are going the Pro Tools route it's a bunch to set up, which they do warn you about. You have to register with FocusRite, and then for Pro Tools you have to register with both Avid and iLok. But it's all pretty straightforward, and Avid will auto-create the iLok account for you too if you want. That aspect of it is Avid's doing, not FocusRite's.

guppy fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Curious if anybody has any feedback for me: https://soundcloud.com/user-525062473/tool-bass-tone-sampler-oct-7-2020

I've been working on recording bass for Tool songs, and feel like I've finally gotten it dialed in. The file linked above has some partial covers, plus some improvisations of my own mixed in.

My goals are something like the following:
1. Sounds like bass
2. All the notes are audible and distinct
3. The tone is warm and dynamic without getting muddy

For anybody wondering, there are 4 tracks. DI, SM57 (dirty), Beta52 (wet), and a 1/4" clean line in. The wet signal is panned slightly left, and the dirty signal is panned slightly right.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I played a few Tool covers in the 90s (on six-string) so I can't comment on the authenticity to that tone, but I think you achieved goals 1, 2, and 3. There's a good deal of midrange in there which helps and I really enjoyed the somewhat dirty parts.

I suppose I'd need to hear it in a mix to say much more. Sounds very good to me.

Since you're sharing, I've got something quick and (very) dirty I can also share that I threw together for a friend: A quick demo of the Tech21 dUg Pinnick Sansamp bass pedal. Now, obviously it's got more uses than just sounding like this over-the-top distorted sound, but that was what he wanted to hear so I recorded this with no EQ and no post processing except enough ambience to make it sound like it existed somewhere. I used a lovely pair of Audio-Technica ATH-MX30H headphones for this so I have no idea what it sounds like outside of them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr. Faustus posted:

I played a few Tool covers in the 90s (on six-string) so I can't comment on the authenticity to that tone, but I think you achieved goals 1, 2, and 3. There's a good deal of midrange in there which helps and I really enjoyed the somewhat dirty parts.

I suppose I'd need to hear it in a mix to say much more. Sounds very good to me.

Since you're sharing, I've got something quick and (very) dirty I can also share that I threw together for a friend: A quick demo of the Tech21 dUg Pinnick Sansamp bass pedal. Now, obviously it's got more uses than just sounding like this over-the-top distorted sound, but that was what he wanted to hear so I recorded this with no EQ and no post processing except enough ambience to make it sound like it existed somewhere. I used a lovely pair of Audio-Technica ATH-MX30H headphones for this so I have no idea what it sounds like outside of them.

Sounds really good. How'd you record it? DI?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sounds really good. How'd you record it? DI?
Really glad to hear it sounds right. Signal chain was bass > Tech12 > Line In 1 on the Lambda. Into Reaper 6.14 with a master limiter on the master bus at -3dB, and a little ambience. No EQ.

I have the Scarlett 4i4 here, and a pair of Beyer DT770s (80 Ohm) on the way tomorrow. (Yeah, I have read all the reviews and watched a ton of YouTube.) I'm trying to figure out how to come up with the $400 for Superior Drummer 3. I'm not getting any younger but I do want to make some more original music.

I don't expect to write with Doug's sound, I'm just glad I have the pedal because it's fun.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

guppy posted:

So, I did like a 20 second test of the setup, recording acoustic guitar and vocals. Everything is working great, but I'm a little concerned about low volume levels. I'm using Pro Tools First on a MacBook Air, recording with a Sennheiser e835 mic through a FocusRite Scarlett 2i2. This is my first time using Pro Tools; my needs are simple and may well never outgrow First, and it came for free with the interface, so I thought I might as well try it out, and it seems to be going well enough so far.

Since I'm only using a single mic, I'm recording acoustic guitar first on track 1, and then vocals on track 2. I am aware that the e835 is a dynamic mic and that that's not preferred, but I owned it already and I'm trying to take this thread's advice to heart and not spend extra money until I feel that what I already own isn't getting the job done. The mic is on a boom stand and is connected to the Scarlett with an XLR cable.

Everything sounds good, no audio quality problems, but the volume levels on the track seem kind of low, especially on the acoustic guitar. I can hear it and all, but the waveform doesn't fill much of the track. The mic is a couple inches from the soundhole -- as close as is practical while not risking my arm hitting the mic while strumming -- and I'm playing the guitar at normal volume with a pick. I have the gain cranked pretty high on the Scarlett, and if I go much higher the clip light ring starts to go yellow or even red.

I"m not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this is the expected result. Maybe it's because the e835 is a dynamic mic, vs. a condenser? Maybe I'm meant to be setting gain or something in Pro Tools as well? Maybe this is what's supposed to happen, maybe volume will be normalized during mixing? Something could always be broken, I suppose, but given the otherwise good results, I'm leaning away from that explanation.

I never got an answer on this, but I did some research and concluded that matched pairs were more of a thing before modern manufacturing processes brought manufacturing tolerance much tighter and that I probably don't need one. For now, I bought an AKG Perception 170 (small-diaphragm pencil condenser) and a Neat Microphones Worker Bee (medium-diaphragm, side-address). AKG does not offer a matched pair with the 170, and I figure if I want two I can just buy another and it will probably be fine.

I've now made brief mono test tracks with each of them -- 170 for acoustic guitar, Worker Bee for vocals -- and they both seem to be in good working order and have addressed the insufficient gain issue, so I'm quite pleased! I could theoretically add another 170 for stereo recording of acoustic guitar, or maybe just use the 170 and the Worker Bee together.

I bought the Worker Bee on a whim and I'm pretty pleased I did. The company was founded by Blue Microphones people, and apparently the company shut down in 2018 after it was bought by Gibson and then Gibson ran into financial trouble. From what I read, this used to be a much more expensive (~$350) mic, but I picked mine up for $90. If you're interested, I imagine there's limited stock available -- you can't really find the King Bee anymore, but you can still find these for sale.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I ordered a king bee from Latvia relatively cheap after swing rave YouTube reviews and it’s really nice. Comes with a manual full of bee facts too 🐝

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

massive spider posted:

I ordered a king bee from Latvia relatively cheap after swing rave YouTube reviews and it’s really nice. Comes with a manual full of bee facts too 🐝

Finally a piece of studio gear to match the Rokit colour scheme!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is it just me or does the Presonus 1824c lack a bit of headroom.

I've retired out my old Focusrite liquid56 , which always sounded great to my ears, I'd probably stick with except they just dont make firewire anymore, and replaced it with the presonus box on the reasoning it has decent integration with Studio one. I've just noticed though that when you push it a bit, it clips really really nasty.

Kinda thinking its not the end of the earth, might even be a good thing even as its giving me a bit more notice that hey, stop pushing poo poo into the red (Bad habit from my old tape days).

But still, I'd have assumed newer interfaces would have even more dynamic range

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oh heres something SUPER WIERD. I accidently formatted the thumbdrive where I keep all my licenses for Waves (platinum, studio classic, and a bunch of dumb poo poo brought in those specials they keep pumping out), aaaaand ...... it still works. Was able to transfer them off the USB key and back on again.

God knows how.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

duck monster posted:

Oh heres something SUPER WIERD. I accidently formatted the thumbdrive where I keep all my licenses for Waves (platinum, studio classic, and a bunch of dumb poo poo brought in those specials they keep pumping out), aaaaand ...... it still works. Was able to transfer them off the USB key and back on again.

God knows how.

Maybe something is saved in the Keyreg of your computer? Either way, glad they didn't start whining about licenses :D

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Greggster posted:

Maybe something is saved in the Keyreg of your computer? Either way, glad they didn't start whining about licenses :D

This was on a different machine to where it was last used!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The software might just check online against product id and or serial number of the usb stick or something like that. Not sure what other magic is available.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Question. I recently grabbed a pair those Eris 3.5" monitors to replace my bulky aging KRK Rokkits.

The mixes Im getting out seem distintly worse when I do the laptop speaker test after mixdown.

Are te Eris just crappy or would this be more my ears not having to learn how to judge them right

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

duck monster posted:

Question. I recently grabbed a pair those Eris 3.5" monitors to replace my bulky aging KRK Rokkits.

The mixes Im getting out seem distintly worse when I do the laptop speaker test after mixdown.

Are te Eris just crappy or would this be more my ears not having to learn how to judge them right

I have the same pair, I'd say give it time. They sound more neutral than they are, if that makes sense. I've found that they don't always translate, but if I mix back and forth with decent headphones, they give an accurate enough idea of what you're doing. None of that sounds glowing, I know, but I've grown to understand and like them. I also imagine switching to them from KRKs is a big shift for the ears.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The bass just sounds a little bit hyped in them (which is a bit weird for smaller speakers) compared to the KRKs and theres not as much detail

But that might just be a subjective thing. I've been listening to mixes on my KRKs for 15 years now, so I've gotten pretty good at judging how the audio is from those.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got a pair of the JBL 104 monitors a while back. Do any of y'all have thoughts about them? They seem fine to me and great for their size, but they're the first set of monitors I've owned, and I tend to still judge size:performance ratio according to the market circa 2005. I'm basically _always_ amazed at how good small speakers sound.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I was listening to a (wobbly electronic) bassline I was working on and I noticed a vibrating kind of noise coming from behind my monitors (Yamaha HS5). I thought something was vibrating on my desk, but when I looked I realised the noise was actually coming from the bass ports on the back. I was pushing them quite hard to hear the bass properly as the low end is not huge on these (I was in a pretty small room when I bought them, considering adding a sub or upgrading now I'm in a bigger one).

I'm guessing it was just a bit too much for them, or is this a normal thing to happen? The distortion wasn't coming from the cones themselves, the sound from them sounded ok. Just the bass reflex ports. Could I have done any damage to them?

e: Could this have been "chuffing"? https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/chuffing-what-is-it-and-what-causes-it.20935/

chippy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 16, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Two questions:

1) If I plug my guitar straight into a Scarlett 2i2 and then use effect and amp sim software is there any meaningful difference in sound between that and say, plugging into a Line 6 Helix and then plugging into my 2i2 and using the Helix's effects and amp sims? Like, for example, does the Helix (or a similar product) have any kind of preamp or other hardware feature that improves the tone beyond just simulation?

2) Is there such thing as "do-everything" mic? For example if I wanted to record vocals, but also use it for gaming/calls, and maybe even record some percussion or foley or acoustic guitar is there one mic that can do all that? Or should I just buy something like an AT2020 for the vocal stuff and an SM57 for the musical stuff?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you plug in your Helix you are definitely committing to your tone more when you record. This can be really helpful for getting past option paralysis with ampsims if that's an issue for you- obviously you can eq/compress/add reverb or whatever but when the basic tone is already part of the recording it can help mixing go a lot faster.
On a technical level, I'm not so sure but as long as you aren't clipping your input it should sound good if you're happy with your helix patches

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You can just use the helix as an audio interface and avoid the 2i2 entirely. Also you can set up the helix for reamping a dry guitar signal later so you're not committed to a tone when you record. Also this way you'll get stereo effects without messing around sending two cables to the 2i2.

But meaningfully, no difference.

When it comes to mics for the thing is that it's about finding a mic that sounds best for the sound source. A mic that flatters the vocalist is more important than an "objectively good" mic. Same with any sound source.

Sure have just come out with a mini SM7b inspired mic I'd try if I hadn't already just bought something else.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't actually own a Helix, I only own a 2i2. I'm just wondering if I should spend (a lot of) money on a Helix or something like it or if I can get sounds that are just as good by going straight into the 2i2 and then buying like Guitar Rig or something like that (or even playing with the stock Ableton Amp and Cab instruments.) I've never really been a tone quest kind of guy before but I've been recording my guitar a lot more lately and so I finally had the realization that hey my music is better when my guitar sounds good.

massive spider posted:

Sure have just come out with a mini SM7b inspired mic I'd try if I hadn't already just bought something else.

Is that the MV7?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

One small thing is that the earlier 2i2s had a round trip latency in the 20ms range, which might be enough to slightly throw off your timing as you play. They may have improved on that, or you could get around it by using direct (dry) monitoring when you record.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm trying to record vocals (mostly voice acting, some singing) and my small apartment office is pretty reflective. I have one of these things and a lot of cheap foam panels on the wall, but when I get above a certain volume my room still sounds fairly boxy. Obviously I have some work to do to treat the room, but in the interim I need a down-and-dirty isolation solution for my voice work.

Would any of these sort of products be worth a crap and actually improve my situation?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B4ZYM72?pf_rd_r=KANTFQ0KSQ45B0QKY4KQ&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

https://www.amazon.com/Primacoustic..._ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XLFV5M/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I know I can make things like this myself too, but... I'm just never going to do that.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

in my experience things like the last two tend to add a boxiness of their own (more of a weird comb filtering depending on the shape) so the first one is probably best.

sounds like you know, but it's way overpriced, though. i know you said you'd rather not build anything, but you could diy a kit that'd take probably about the same amount of effort as that one to assemble for closer to half the price if you wanted: two cheap c-stands with arms, a 6-pack of moving blankets, and half a dozen pony clamps. i use that as a vocal booth/mobile ADR setup that i can put together and tear down in 10 minutes or so. it works great and i can fit it all in the back seat of my car (or store it under the bed) if need be. i use a cheapo music stand or just have it set up to show a tv at one end depending on what i need it for.

maybe not your cup of tea, but i figure it's worth throwing out there!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

prom candy posted:

I don't actually own a Helix, I only own a 2i2. I'm just wondering if I should spend (a lot of) money on a Helix or something like it or if I can get sounds that are just as good by going straight into the 2i2 and then buying like Guitar Rig or something like that (or even playing with the stock Ableton Amp and Cab instruments.) I've never really been a tone quest kind of guy before but I've been recording my guitar a lot more lately and so I finally had the realization that hey my music is better when my guitar sounds good.

The helix is actually pretty decent as an interface because not a lot of budget interfaces have external send loops.

Personal opinion of the amp modellers I’ve tried my tier list is this

Amplitube with some specific models, the Mesa, fender and Marshall packs specifically. Not the stock ones. Effects are mediocre

Helix, with overall better effects

Guitar rig, albeit with a space echo sim I really like

Helix can be had in vst format with a deep discount on the vst if you own the hardware.

quote:

Is that the MV7?

Ya.

Although I’ve been looking at mics recently and the Aston stealth catches my eye. It has different voicings so it may well be the thing if you want an all rounder mic.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 18, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh that Aston stealth seems cool. I just do all my recording at my desk, which is also my work desk and my gaming desk so any opportunities to have gear running double duty are nice.

I might start saving for a Helix for down the road, I play bass in a cover band (more like a cover jam group but we gig like once or twice a year) so eventually it would be nice to have something that has portable tone. Plus after covid I bet we're all gonna want to gig more.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

OK 3 mic blind shootout. I had to do three takes becuase I dont have enough inputs to do them all at once. Thoughts?

https://clyp.it/mb0k5knt

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Total recording scrub here. I'm just looking for something to record upright bass practice sessions for myself, maybe instagram snippets. I would plug it in directly to an iPad and record in garage band. Is there anything wrong with either of these?

Rode NT USB
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NTUSB--rode-nt-usb-usb-condenser-microphone

AT2020USB+
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020USBP--audio-technica-at2020usb-cardioid-condenser-usb-microphone

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Total recording scrub here. I'm just looking for something to record upright bass practice sessions for myself, maybe instagram snippets. I would plug it in directly to an iPad and record in garage band. Is there anything wrong with either of these?

Rode NT USB
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NTUSB--rode-nt-usb-usb-condenser-microphone

AT2020USB+
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020USBP--audio-technica-at2020usb-cardioid-condenser-usb-microphone

As far as I'm familiar, there's nothing wrong with either of those, although I always recommend people get an interface and non-usb mic for the simple reason that you will have more inputs if you want to expand. Not everyone is looking to start a gear collecting addiction though, so I'm sure either would suit you fine.
Probably most important thing to understand with recording bass (acoustic or not) is the proximity effect. Basically the closer you are to a sound source, the more bass response you will get. This is something you want to think of with your overall placement, because too much will get muddy and you will miss out on other nuances of the sound. It sounds like you are mostly using it for self reference though, and it can also be cool to have the mic further away for more of a "listener's experience."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So I’m a total noob at all this but with COVID I have no band and I am sick of just noodling around not being able to make actual songs. Since I’m flying solo that means I need multitrack recording/editing/processing capabilities and the ability to program drums and apply/edit sampled drum loops since I don’t have drums or drumming ability. I’ll probably start out trying my hand at making some basic chill lofi instrumental hip hop stuff, so ability to sample other people’s music would be a big plus too.

So I think I’m looking for an affordable interface that I can use to receive 1/4” and/or XLR outs from my guitar and bass amps, and I’d really like it if it played nice with my iPhone. Is the main way to send audio from interface to iPhone a USB out plugged into a USB to Lightning adapter?

I imagine I’ll start with GarageBand on the software side unless I shouldn’t.

What would you guys recommend?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You'll probably have a much easier time doing this on a computer than on an iPhone, but you can get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and go pretty far. A cheap desktop midi controller like the AKAI MPK Mini is nice to have as well, or something bigger if you actually know how to play keys.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

iOS will recognise most audio interfaces these days however you’ll need the kind of adaptor that can connect a lightning power cable in at the same time or else your iPhone won’t be able to send enough juice to the interface.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Does anyone know of any good, aesthetically pleasing, wood rack cases that don't cost an arm? I want a couple 6U racks but I can only seem to find either server style steel cages or Etsy style boutique stuff. I don't care about wood quality, it can be chipboard and a veneer. I just would like something functional that isn't awful to have on my desk.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

syntaxfunction posted:

Does anyone know of any good, aesthetically pleasing, wood rack cases that don't cost an arm? I want a couple 6U racks but I can only seem to find either server style steel cages or Etsy style boutique stuff. I don't care about wood quality, it can be chipboard and a veneer. I just would like something functional that isn't awful to have on my desk.

Try eBay. I have one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2U-19-in...872.m2749.l2649 - it's basic but sturdy enough and does the job. And there are other sellers that offer different wood and finish options. These are UK so don't know if that's useful to you, but I'm sure there are more.

Only issue with the particular one I have, is that it was listed as being supplied assembled, but actually came in bits. It was easy enough to figure out though.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 3, 2020

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh that's really cool! Thanks! If I buy something or end up going DIY I'll definitely let the thread know!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am sharing a living/work/music space that I feel is absolutely beautiful. Someday I hope to have a house in which I can live just like this.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I'm getting an annoying hissing sound from my HS5 monitors. Should I be using the XLR input instead of the 1/4" input? Right now I'm going from a Scarlett 18i8 1/4" L and R monitor outputs, through regular instrument cables, into the 1/4" input of the monitors.

Hopefully it's as simple as ordering a couple 1/4" to XLR cables.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cheese Thief posted:

I am sharing a living/work/music space that I feel is absolutely beautiful. Someday I hope to have a house in which I can live just like this.

This is Jacob Collier's room isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

I'm getting an annoying hissing sound from my HS5 monitors. Should I be using the XLR input instead of the 1/4" input? Right now I'm going from a Scarlett 18i8 1/4" L and R monitor outputs, through regular instrument cables, into the 1/4" input of the monitors.

Hopefully it's as simple as ordering a couple 1/4" to XLR cables.

Usually 1/4" inputs to monitors are meant to be balanced to reduce hum. Instrument cables will be much noisier, and that's probably your issue.

So yeah, either get balanced 1/4" cables, or use XLR.