Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Elviscat posted:

Punk is inherently anti fascist (although there are a lot of fascist punks that just don't get it) so saying fashpunk would be like saying slowfast, an inherent contradiction.

There is punk music about fashion though, brought to you by a certified Nazi puncher.q

That said, a lot of sci-fi from the 40s-60s that's been back termed as 'atompunk' is pretty loving fash. As someone said, -punk as a literary suffix has become entirely about window dressing and lost all connection to punk as a concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wait did someone say that ghost in the shell is neoliberal

because a big part of the storylines that pervade all of the movies and tv shows is aramaki and kusanagi lobbying very hard to act unilaterally, without any oversight and unlimited funding

i guess they're not that incompatible but i always saw gits as being as fashy as any MCU movie

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weatherman posted:

has anyone made "fashpunk" yet

e: that's fascist, not fashion

It’s called RAC (Rock Against Communism), and it’s all complete poo poo.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Weatherman posted:

has anyone made "fashpunk" yet

e: that's fascist, not fashion

Going OG but have you heard of "The Ramones"?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

boar guy posted:

wait did someone say that ghost in the shell is neoliberal

because a big part of the storylines that pervade all of the movies and tv shows is aramaki and kusanagi lobbying very hard to act unilaterally, without any oversight and unlimited funding

i guess they're not that incompatible but i always saw gits as being as fashy as any MCU movie

I mean neoliberals are fash/fash-adjacent, as 2020 has vividly demonstrated.

I used the term neonliberal though

https://twitter.com/HyveMynd/status/1138346974652973056?s=20

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

That said, a lot of sci-fi from the 40s-60s that's been back termed as 'atompunk' is pretty loving fash. As someone said, -punk as a literary suffix has become entirely about window dressing and lost all connection to punk as a concept.

I really think -punk as a literary suffix has always been about the aesthetic and not the underlying politics, look at Steampunk, pure 100% aesthetics.

E: Neonliberal is funny though.

E2: Johnny Rotten, one of the founders of punk music is a fascist piece of poo poo Trump/BJ supporter, so even the people that started it can get confused on what it's all about.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/11/johnny-rotten-sex-pistols-trump-good-morning-britian/

Some still get it right though.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Dec 22, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

orange juche posted:

The movie "Hackers" is cyberpunk, whereas the movie "Ghost in the Shell" is neonliberal.

I’ve never given it any thought until now but holy poo poo you’re right.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Elviscat posted:

E2: Johnny Rotten, one of the founders of punk music is a fascist piece of poo poo Trump/BJ supporter, so even the people that started it can get confused on what it's all about.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/11/johnny-rotten-sex-pistols-trump-good-morning-britian/

The Sex Pistols were all about aesthetics. So actually, it's a perfect example of -punk.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

The Sex Pistols were all about aesthetics. So actually, it's a perfect example of -punk.

Conflating the Sex Pistols with the idea of punk is very not punk. I mean if we are defining terms.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Sex Pistols aren't punk, the Sex Pistols are punkpunk.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Conflating the Sex Pistols with the idea of punk is very not punk. I mean if we are defining terms.

Cleretic posted:

The Sex Pistols aren't punk, the Sex Pistols are punkpunk.

In conclusion, attributive nouns are a land of contrasts.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mds2 posted:

My friend Wes had a “Make 7/gently caress you” shirt. I still think it’s funny.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

Punk is inherently anti fascist (although there are a lot of fascist punks that just don't get it) so saying fashpunk would be like saying slowfast, an inherent contradiction.

There is punk music about fashion though, brought to you by a certified Nazi puncher.q

I feel like this is wishful thinking, or maybe the point of contention we're all debating. I've always seen punk as inherent anti-establishment, and that does not translate to inherently anti-fascist. See nazipunks, ancaps, and libertarians. I guess that's where "they just don't get it" comes in, but that's creeping into no-true-scottsman territory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

She's kinda sorta responsible for our first black president.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

there wolf posted:

I feel like this is wishful thinking, or maybe the point of contention we're all debating. I've always seen punk as inherent anti-establishment, and that does not translate to inherently anti-fascist. See nazipunks, ancaps, and libertarians. I guess that's where "they just don't get it" comes in, but that's creeping into no-true-scottsman territory.

Yeah, I guess I'd parse it as anti-authoritarian, and say that fascists are by definition authoritarian, but ascribing sentiment to other people's art is basically impossible, look at "Born in the USA"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

She's kinda sorta responsible for our first black president.

And our first orange one, supposedly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Elviscat posted:

And our first orange one, supposedly.

How's she to blame for Trump?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Elviscat posted:

yeah and jello was like scott browns not so bad when he rebecame govenor after arnold. nothing sadder then punks who got old and drifted to the right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

orange juche posted:

I mean neoliberals are fash/fash-adjacent, as 2020 has vividly demonstrated.

I used the term neonliberal though

https://twitter.com/HyveMynd/status/1138346974652973056?s=20

Neonliberal Evangelion is my favorite anime.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

How's she to blame for Trump?

I think literally Obama got elected and triggered all the racists to vote Trump.

I'm operating off a half-remembered tweet here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I think literally Obama got elected and triggered all the racists to vote Trump.

I'm operating off a half-remembered tweet here.

That's dumb, her hosed up divorce let Obama become a senator and thus nationally known and thus president, what Obama did with his presidency isn't any of her fault.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
nobody recognized the pkunk when it was posted, making all of you the idiots on social media. for shame.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Elviscat posted:

:thejoke:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If anyone wants to see real cyberpunk they need to check this guy out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Inceltown posted:

If anyone wants to see real cyberpunk they need to check this guy out

Not a real thing that happened, different picture than the other times I've seen it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In junior high we had these cards we would load our lunch money on to and would have to swipe them to pay for stuff. We found out if you unplugged the machine while you were swiping the card it would add the money you were spending to the card instead of subtracting it. We started grabbing other people's cards and doing it for them and would have people distracting the lunch workers so we could do it. The next year the whole system was gone because I don't think a single person was actually paying for food by the time summer came.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure that's a joke anyway

Edit: about the lefty commune job tweet

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NLJP posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a joke anyway

Edit: about the lefty commune job tweet

There are people on it who definitely don't think so and are unironically posting about how they'll be gardeners and beekeepers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I've only played about 20 hours or so of Cyberpunk 2077 so far but it matches up pretty well with Mike Pondsmiths ideas. It's a dystopia where corporations rule the world and capitalism is king. He also said that Bladerunner was a major influence on him writing it, and he never read Neuromancer so make that what you will when deciding what is and isn't Cyberpunk.

The society you are in in Cyberpunk 2020 is not punk, that's the idea. The fact the cops in 2077 will pay you to execute some dude in the street fit well with that. Where it deviates is that if you do a crime in 2020 then the police show up and absolutely loving obliterate you, not just yell at you till you drive away.

Setting off a nuke in a corporate headquarters seems pretty Cyberpunk, the fact that it changes nothing is even more Cyberpunk.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Dec 22, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

I've only played about 20 hours or so of Cyberpunk 2077 so far but it matches up pretty well with Mike Pondsmiths ideas. It's a dystopia where corporations rule the world and capitalism is king. He also said that Bladerunner was a major influence on him writing it, and he never read Neuromancer so make that what you will when deciding what is and isn't Cyberpunk.

The society you are in in Cyberpunk 2020 is not punk, that's the idea. The fact the cops in 2077 will pay you to execute some dude in the street fit well with that. Where it deviates is that if you do a crime in 2020 then the police show up and absolutely loving obliterate you, not just yell at you till you drive away.

Setting off a nuke in a corporate headquarters seems pretty Cyberpunk, the fact that it changes nothing is even more Cyberpunk.

Mike Pondsmith worked for CDPR full time for the time of the development, so yes, it should very much be a Cyberpunk game, if perhaps not a cyberpunk game. The name ever only referred to the RPG.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pookah posted:

We're like many families, having a weird socially distanced Chrimbas and one thing we're planning for is to watch a bunch of Christmas themed horror films before having our dinner. If it's got to be weird, it's loving going to be WEIRD, and that's fine. Gonna have so many canapes because I love them and we don't normally have them on Christmas Day.

This is from many many pages ago. So I apologise.

But you good sir/madam need to add Santa's Slay, starring professional wrestler Bill Goldberg as an evil Santa to your list of films.

Both Chris Kattan and Fran Drescher die horribly in the beginning, and the film climaxes in a game of curling. And if you want or need more than that in a movie, then I don't know what I can say.

Again, I apologize for the interruption.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aramoro posted:

The only thing truly punk is that punks will never believe anything is sufficiently punk. The arbitrary definition is always moving.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I'd ☝️ just like to clear 🧹 something up 🎈 regarding the accusations 🗣😔 being made about me 🙌 by some of the female members 💋💄 of this group 👯‍♀️. The accusations 🚨 regarding my so called "behavior" 🙄🍆 are untrue 😠 and extremely 😡 hurtful 🤬. To the accusers 👉 (you know 🧠💭 who you are kitten 🐱 ), a few points 🏀for your consideration: thinking 🤔
1) Yes ✅ I was asking for feet pics 🦶📸in DMs, I will admit 😳 to that 🤤. Apparently 🤷‍♂️ this can come off as inappropriate 🤡💩 for some. So I reluctantly 😤😢 apologize for that.
2) The feet pics 🦶📸 I was attempting to accumulate 💵💵 from this server 🤖 were strictly for artistic 🎨🎻 purposes and NON-SEXUAL 🙅‍♂️❌💦 in nature. Ever heard 🦻 of a non-sexual 🙅‍♂️🍆 foot fetishist 💦🦶? Well sorry to break it 🥺💔.
3) I have almost NEVER 🎉🤏 taken screenshots of the feet 🔎🦶🔍that have been sent to me 💌🤤 and/or sent these pics 📤 to other people 🎁
4) No ❌ I have not 🛑 been making threats 🤬😖 to those who choose to ignore 🙄😵 my messages & friend requests 😏. Telling someone 🗣🙄 who has clearly wronged me 😱 that there will be consequences 🤯 for their actions 🚫🦶📸 is not a "threat" 🙀🔫. I consider it 🤔 more a... life lesson 🤓🤲 per se. Learn 🧠🧲 the difference ➖ then report 📜 back to me. I'll be right here 👇 waiting 😴 for an apology 🥺😔.
5) And finally ☝️, as you can see 👀, I didn't tag 🔖 any of the people who wronged me 🤬🤕 in this message 📧, as doing so would not comply 😲🔫 with my ethics 🤓, but 💩 I will always respect 🤜🤛 one's decision to have their own so called "opinion" 🤪🗯 no matter how misguided ➡️☠️ it may be.
As you can tell 😎, my interests 💦 lay mainly in the high arts 🤹‍♀️🎨 and I can guarantee you 💯 that if and when 🎲 you do decide to step down ✌️ off your loving throne 👸 and accept my humble friend requests 😏💋 (feet pics 🦶📸 or not 🙅‍♂️) at the very least 🤏 you will end up having 🤲 a very compatible 🤩😍 and knowledgeable 🧠🧠 friend. Hopefully 😬 this clears a few things up 🌬💦 with the more disgruntled 😡 members of the group 🤫.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Softface posted:

I'd ☝️ just like to clear 🧹 something up 🎈 regarding the accusations 🗣😔 being made about me 🙌 by some of the female members 💋💄 of this group 👯‍♀️. The accusations 🚨 regarding my so called "behavior" 🙄🍆 are untrue 😠 and extremely 😡 hurtful 🤬. To the accusers 👉 (you know 🧠💭 who you are kitten 🐱 ), a few points 🏀for your consideration: thinking 🤔
1) Yes ✅ I was asking for feet pics 🦶📸in DMs, I will admit 😳 to that 🤤. Apparently 🤷‍♂️ this can come off as inappropriate 🤡💩 for some. So I reluctantly 😤😢 apologize for that.
2) The feet pics 🦶📸 I was attempting to accumulate 💵💵 from this server 🤖 were strictly for artistic 🎨🎻 purposes and NON-SEXUAL 🙅‍♂️❌💦 in nature. Ever heard 🦻 of a non-sexual 🙅‍♂️🍆 foot fetishist 💦🦶? Well sorry to break it 🥺💔.
3) I have almost NEVER 🎉🤏 taken screenshots of the feet 🔎🦶🔍that have been sent to me 💌🤤 and/or sent these pics 📤 to other people 🎁
4) No ❌ I have not 🛑 been making threats 🤬😖 to those who choose to ignore 🙄😵 my messages & friend requests 😏. Telling someone 🗣🙄 who has clearly wronged me 😱 that there will be consequences 🤯 for their actions 🚫🦶📸 is not a "threat" 🙀🔫. I consider it 🤔 more a... life lesson 🤓🤲 per se. Learn 🧠🧲 the difference ➖ then report 📜 back to me. I'll be right here 👇 waiting 😴 for an apology 🥺😔.
5) And finally ☝️, as you can see 👀, I didn't tag 🔖 any of the people who wronged me 🤬🤕 in this message 📧, as doing so would not comply 😲🔫 with my ethics 🤓, but 💩 I will always respect 🤜🤛 one's decision to have their own so called "opinion" 🤪🗯 no matter how misguided ➡️☠️ it may be.
As you can tell 😎, my interests 💦 lay mainly in the high arts 🤹‍♀️🎨 and I can guarantee you 💯 that if and when 🎲 you do decide to step down ✌️ off your loving throne 👸 and accept my humble friend requests 😏💋 (feet pics 🦶📸 or not 🙅‍♂️) at the very least 🤏 you will end up having 🤲 a very compatible 🤩😍 and knowledgeable 🧠🧠 friend. Hopefully 😬 this clears a few things up 🌬💦 with the more disgruntled 😡 members of the group 🤫.

TSR, I think I found one of your posts, it got lost by the dumpster

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

boar guy posted:

eh, he acts with a cop's authority and in the sequel his partner pretty much confirms that he was A Cop

and then joe, in the sequel, is even more explictly A Cop

cyberpunk is about bucking the system. even gibson's stuff that includes ex cops or ex military as protagonists has them pretty explicitly become criminals as plots unfold but blade runner's are both working to maintain the status quo

Deckard is 100% a cop and so is K. But at the end of the first film Deckard runs off with replicant becoming a fugitive and in the 2nd K defies his orders an helps the replicant freedom movement who are a terrorist organisation. I wouldn't call that maintaining the status quo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bladerunner's script and Neuromancer were being written at the same time which is why cyberpunk doesn't make sense as a genre, really all that ties it together is taking transhumanism to 11, and dystopian society, either via climate disaster, corporate ogliarchy, or a combination of various elements that create that dystopian future.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is from many many pages ago. So I apologise.

But you good sir/madam need to add Santa's Slay, starring professional wrestler Bill Goldberg as an evil Santa to your list of films.

Both Chris Kattan and Fran Drescher die horribly in the beginning, and the film climaxes in a game of curling. And if you want or need more than that in a movie, then I don't know what I can say.

Again, I apologize for the interruption.

This sounds AMAZING! Thank you very much - we're probably going to alternate between comic and more serious Christmas horror/ghost films so this is a perfect addition :)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

orange juche posted:

TSR, I think I found one of your posts, it got lost by the dumpster

I 👥 hope 🙏 you 👈🏼 have at least 💯 a tiny 👌🏼, itsy 🙂 bit 😢 idea 💡 of how ignorant 💩😂, selfish 😆😇, uncaring, egocentric, cruel 👎, delusional 👨🏻‍💼, sociopath 😬, pathetic 😂 and apathetic you 👈☝🏻 sound 🔊🔈. If not, please 🙏 consider 🤔 some introspection and taking 👊 a hard 💪👍🍆 inventory 💰. Face 😀 your 👈 demons 🤰👹, because your 👈 demons 👻😈 are staring 🙊👀 right 👌 at you 👈, preying.

P.-S 🅾.: I 👁 know 💭. Your 👉 weak 👶 mind 🤯 can't 🚫😒 even 🌃 begin 🔘 to grasp ✊💪😫 what I 👁 am. It's because you 👈 don't 🚫 deserve 👌 this privilege 💰💘. Go 🏃 on 🔛, try 😈 to shut 😷 me up ☝. You 👉🏻 can't 🚫 and you 👈 won't ❌. Go 🏃 ahead 🙎🏻 now, resume wasting 🗑 your 👉 lives 👤👈💓. And yes ✅, I'm 💘 unhinged, crazy 🤪, I 👁 need 👉 to calm 😴 down ⬇ and shut 😷 my stupid 📖🚫 rear end 🍑 up ☝. But 🍑 I'm 😂👌🏼 free 🆓💲🙅🏾, and you're not. And you're jealous 😒❤ and envious 👲🏽. And yes 👍, I 👁 am triggered ‼🤣. But 🍑 do you 👅👄👉 honestly 😇 want 😋 to find 🔎 out what happens 💦🍆😍 when 👆🕙⏰ I'm 💘 on 🔛 the trigger 🔫😤👎, aiming 🔫 at the void 🕳 where your 👈 souls 👻 should be? Free 💜 your 👉 mind 🤯 and your 👉 spirit 👻, because right 👌 now you're a prisoner 👨 of the darkest 😈 pit 🕳, looking 👀 up ⬆ at the stars 🌟, not knowing 💭 the immensity 😱 of the tragedy 😭 your 👉 beliefs 🌈, opinions 😤 and lack 📉 of empathy 😌 inflict 😵 on 🔛 this world 🌍. Go 🏃 on 🔛, little 👌 bird 🐣🐦. Fly 🚫👼💸. You'll find 🔎 out soon 🔜 enough 👺 what this all 💯 means 😏.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chitoryu12 posted:

There are people on it who definitely don't think so and are unironically posting about how they'll be gardeners and beekeepers.

bees are important and there’s no irony about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm gonna be the guy with a tilapia hydroponics setup who won't shut up about tilapia hydroponics