Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

well why not posted:

was the fortnite thing at least cool?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LionArcher posted:

I think it's a movie that's underrated because I think the behind the scenes was total hell and it's a miracle it came out as coherent as it did. JJ is a seriously underrated film maker by the nerds online (reddit and these forums especially) (and not by the professionals in the industry which is why he's so successful and also well liked).

I'm not a fan of JJ, but the people he works with seem to like him (John Boyega trashed Disney in that interview a little while back but made sure to call JJ a good bloke or similar) and he makes friends and casts them in the next thing he does, which is cool. If trashy pop culture movies must exist then the people making them might as well be nice and have a good time. It's one reason I like Zack Snyder as well tbh

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rise of Skywalker is a bad movie, but it's not bad in the way Zeitgeist: The Movie or The Starving Games are terrible

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's still some amazing hubris or something about how Disney bought Star Wars and then just couldn't stop shooting themselves in the butt.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know why everyone's so hard on Episode 9. I was laughing through the whole movie, it was singlehandedly the best comedy of 2019!

Cats exists though

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

well why not posted:

was the fortnite thing at least cool?

Judge for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vHrQCKaJiQ

(But no, of course not, events in Fortnite are completely inane).

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's still some amazing hubris or something about how Disney bought Star Wars and then just couldn't stop shooting themselves in the butt.

I've said it before here, but - it really is amazing how adeptly they're handling Marvel while completely loving up Star Wars. I get that the CD consensus is that the MCU is the worst thing to happen to movies ever (and there's probably a compelling argument to be made there, on an artistic level), but they're broadly crowd pleasing films that are generally, at worst, slightly below replacement level action. And when they break away from the baseline origin story/generic action romps, they're capable of at least approaching some sort of objective quality. And they've shown a willingness to try things that are a little weirder, like action-comedy Thor and whatever the hell is about to happen with Wandavision.

It's like the initial failures to capitalize on Star Wars have stunted their ability to actually be creative with the IP.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Isn't that mostly Feige though? Disney was smart enough to leave him alone for the most part since his MCU management vision was obviously working. They either didn't have anyone as competent for Star Wars or didn't think they needed someone in that role since the IP was a surefire money printer.

Although you look at the mess Johns is making of WB/DC and wonder if they were right to not even bother. The sequels were a mess but Mandalorian proves that people will come right back if the most recent offering looks just different enough.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So the New Republic is officially ok with slavery huh?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not rehabilitating it. It's dreadful, but it's dreadful in a way that feels so deliberately centre of the road. It's so calculatedly unmbitious, so wilfully lackadasical, so methodically aimed at some hypothetical, focus group designated audience that it's terrible, but in a really boring, by the numbers kind of way.

You’re talking about, like, “does popular Star Wars brand character Rey Palpatine fall in love with popular character Kylo Ren, and are her parents actually poor?” The answer to all those questions is a shrug and a “sort-of?”, but that’s not what makes a movie.

As an experiment, approach Rise Of The Skywalker as an Italian Star Wars ripoff that is establishing its own ‘entirely-new’ setting and characters. You’ll find that everything makes vastly more sense without the baggage, as when Heroic Girl just randomly meets a ghost on an island who gives her a spaceship. The ghost is played by semi-famous actor Mark Hamill from Slipstream and Guyver 1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OctoberCountry posted:

Why wouldn't they be able to?

Rights issues can be weird I wasn't sure if maybe Lucas had kept the rights to the OT storylines or something like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Rights issues can be weird I wasn't sure if maybe Lucas had kept the rights to the OT storylines or something like that.

Disney bought it all.

That being said, they would be very dumb to remake the OT.

So I'd give them another 10 years or so before they try it. (Kidding, I'd be shocked if they ever try it. It'd be nuts.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

That being said, they would be very dumb to remake the OT.

They already have, albeit not in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD_nnP8nL6U

I think we will eventually get an OT remake in some medium, but it definitely won't be a trilogy of live action movies again because that would be seen as "disrespectful." I could see them wanting to stretch it out into an animated or live-action TV show to differentiate it, maybe focus in on and expand out Luke's journey.

At this point I've long dropped the original trilogy as some sacrosanct thing so I'd be intrigued by that sort of thing. Seeing Luke and Biggs chillin' and swapping war stories, spending a whole season on training with Yoda, etc. It's certainly unnecessary but at this point why not?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea honestly I'd be fine with like an anthology animated series where each episode explores a little side adventure that happened to the OT characters.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Eventually there will be remakes of everything that has been proven to be lucrative and the license is available.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

punishedkissinger posted:

So the New Republic is officially ok with slavery huh?

Well yeah that's what allows Sheev to return

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boxman posted:

It's like the initial failures to capitalize on Star Wars have stunted their ability to actually be creative with the IP.

I feel like it that might be a big part of it; overreaction to the reception of TFA, in both directions, put them into a cycle of wild, panicking overreaction with every subsequent movie. (and even TFA arguably was an overreaction to the prequels) The Mandalorian was such a breath of fresh air because it sat down and decided what it wanted to be on its own terms.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Disney bought it all.

I don't think that's entirely true. I remember some talk at the time that, due to some existing contracts or something, the deal did NOT include the home video rights to the non-SE version of the original Star Wars, or something like that. I don't remember what the exact details were, but those rights were still owned by 20th Century Fox.

Of course, fast forward a couple years and Disney outright buys 20th Century Fox, so the point is moot now.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mando S1 is all right, but y'all are nuts thinking this show is prioritizing telling it's own story over Skywalker/jedi tie in stuff. It's "Boba Fett was Yoda's dad" fan fiction.

It's almost surprising there are any good parts at all!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah so what. It’s fun as hell

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mando is about as good as the ewok movies (up until the second half of the last season), which is really all I want out of Star Wars.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know why everyone's so hard on Episode 9. I was laughing through the whole movie, it was singlehandedly the best comedy of 2019!

I did that my first time seeing RoS, but Episode 9 is just too transparently corporate decision making while being completely incoherent at any form of storytelling.

Movies that are so bad they're funny come from a Tommy Wiseau or a Coleman Francis where a director is pouring his soul out on screen and what you see is a window to a person that is unrecognizable as a human being to the point of fascination. Not from corporate marketing just ruining a product.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't think that's entirely true. I remember some talk at the time that, due to some existing contracts or something, the deal did NOT include the home video rights to the non-SE version of the original Star Wars, or something like that. I don't remember what the exact details were, but those rights were still owned by 20th Century Fox.

Of course, fast forward a couple years and Disney outright buys 20th Century Fox, so the point is moot now.

That is a good point. I meant they bought everything Lucasfilm had, so George owned nothing Star Wars, which is what the conversation being had was about. 20th Century Fox maintained some weird rights to some things about the OT (I think just ANH non-SE or something like that? I'm not sure).

But, like you said, now Disney owns Fox, too, so none of that matters either.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

I did that my first time seeing RoS, but Episode 9 is just too transparently corporate decision making while being completely incoherent at any form of storytelling.

Movies that are so bad they're funny come from a Tommy Wiseau or a Coleman Francis where a director is pouring his soul out on screen and what you see is a window to a person that is unrecognizable as a human being to the point of fascination. Not from corporate marketing just ruining a product.

I mean, you can have hilarious insights into people even with corporate meddling. I'm thinking of the guy who would absolutely insist on putting giant mechanical spiders into projects until he finally saw his vision realized in Wild Wild West. There is nothing as funny happening or apparently happening with Star Wars right now. It's not about weird or misguided vision, it's about lovely interpretation of marketing statistics.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ROS is like when the Bluths built the shell of a house for the ribbon cutting. It resembles a star wars movie long enough to convince you youve seen a star wars movie but but it wasnt built to last for more than a couple hours. Similarly, even Gob knows the investors are stupid enough to buy it until it collapses in front of everyone

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, you can have hilarious insights into people even with corporate meddling. I'm thinking of the guy who would absolutely insist on putting giant mechanical spiders into projects until he finally saw his vision realized in Wild Wild West. There is nothing as funny happening or apparently happening with Star Wars right now. It's not about weird or misguided vision, it's about lovely interpretation of marketing statistics.

Jon Peters. Say whatever you want about Kevin Smith, but his story about Peters and Superman Lives, ending with Wild Wild West, is loving amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was about to say Star Wars is missing a big mechanical spider but then I remembered the dude in Jabba’s palace.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
those war of the worlds-style walkers in attack of the clones are also kinda big mechanical spiders

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im doing another round of star wars blaster collage/photobash designs.

id love suggestions on real life guns that you think would make bases for cool blasters?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ungulateman posted:

those war of the worlds-style walkers in attack of the clones are also kinda big mechanical spiders

They're even called Spider Droids.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The idea that lucas selectively sold only the post-1997 version of Star Wars to disney is hilarious and part of a weird nerd conspiracy that Lucas is denying them, specifically, access to the hallowed Original Cut. The truth is that most of the master prints lucasfilm had access to were severely damaged due to overprinting and cannibalized for the special edition project, and Disney are a bunch of cheapskates with no interest in spending the capital to preserve and restore the “original” Star Wars, an idea that flies in the face of their own established ethos to constantly change and edit the past for maximum present marketability.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The idea that lucas selectively sold only the post-1997 version of Star Wars to disney is hilarious and part of a weird nerd conspiracy that Lucas is denying them, specifically, access to the hallowed Original Cut. The truth is that most of the master prints lucasfilm had access to were severely damaged due to overprinting and cannibalized for the special edition project, and Disney are a bunch of cheapskates with no interest in spending the capital to preserve and restore the “original” Star Wars, an idea that flies in the face of their own established ethos to constantly change and edit the past for maximum present marketability.

Oh the original cuts will definitely get released someday, but only when it’s strategically in their best interests to maximize profit and/or buzz.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

50-year anniversary of Star Wars is 2027, so fingers crossed

pft yeah no it'll be the Special Editions let's be real

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Kanine posted:

id love suggestions on real life guns that you think would make bases for cool blasters?

I have an hypothesis that SW weapons look best when they exist in the Uncanny Valley of IRL guns. Close enough to be looking gunny, but with just the right amount of extraneous details to be ever-so-slightly off.

Either that, or modify specialty weapons like flare guns, olympic shooting pistols, funky paratrooper stuff, weird Cold War prototypes.

Or, you know, whatever works.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’re talking about, like, “does popular Star Wars brand character Rey Palpatine fall in love with popular character Kylo Ren, and are her parents actually poor?” The answer to all those questions is a shrug and a “sort-of?”, but that’s not what makes a movie.

As an experiment, approach Rise Of The Skywalker as an Italian Star Wars ripoff that is establishing its own ‘entirely-new’ setting and characters. You’ll find that everything makes vastly more sense without the baggage, as when Heroic Girl just randomly meets a ghost on an island who gives her a spaceship. The ghost is played by semi-famous actor Mark Hamill from Slipstream and Guyver 1.

Once again, I find myself wishing I could see a movie through your eyes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

50-year anniversary of Star Wars is 2027, so fingers crossed

pft yeah no it'll be the Special Editions let's be real

Even those have been changed! The evil of Lucas knows no bounds!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ecureuilmatrix posted:

I have an hypothesis that SW weapons look best when they exist in the Uncanny Valley of IRL guns. Close enough to be looking gunny, but with just the right amount of extraneous details to be ever-so-slightly off.

Either that, or modify specialty weapons like flare guns, olympic shooting pistols, funky paratrooper stuff, weird Cold War prototypes.

Or, you know, whatever works.

completely agree. Star Wars is a kinda 'junky' world even at the high ends of technology, poo poo just has bits and bobs on it for no real reason and that's important to the aesthetic. It should still read 'gun' from a profile and all but don't be afraid to slap on a completely needless rail or panel or bulk up the muzzle or add some vents and holes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

completely agree. Star Wars is a kinda 'junky' world even at the high ends of technology, poo poo just has bits and bobs on it for no real reason and that's important to the aesthetic. It should still read 'gun' from a profile and all but don't be afraid to slap on a completely needless rail or panel or bulk up the muzzle or add some vents and holes.

Yeah, the visual language is meant to be 'familiar, but different', and I think that goes for a lot things. The fighters look kind of like planes, lightsabers seem like sword hilts but with bits and bobs, and so on.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

You should do a blaster that as an edge that matches the death star wreckage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Kanine posted:

I always thought the Passler Seidl looked Star-Warsy:
https://centerofthewest.org/2014/10/11/guns-of-the-week-ingenious_engineering/passler-seidl/

Also the Bergmann 1896 is already a blaster:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann_1896

If you want a neat long gun, look at the Chauchat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauchat

... or maybe the Magot pump action rifle:
https://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/175964181084/magot-pump-action-rifle-in-1880-mm-magot

The Krutzch Rifle has a really good shape and some awesome greebling too:
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...-high-res-pics/

Comedy handgun option: An English Duckfoot Pistol:
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-1780-brass-flintlock-duck-s-foot-pistol-by-bunney-of-london?variant=26172346565