Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:randvince:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

lol at trying to sell a custom that isn't even relic'd.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Staring straight into the void now, baby.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I just saw the monkey grip.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In theory, a monkey grip would be useful for getting picks out of an acoustic. Of course, the pick guard prevents them from falling in, so... What I'm saying is make me a Martin JEM.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Poof, you're a Martin JEM

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I think we just hit peak stupid poo poo.
Not for the first time, and God willing and tha creek don't rise, not the last time.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I just saw the monkey grip.
Wow I missed it. Glad they are keeping it traditional and ignoring the PIA Ying/Yang.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Staring straight into the void now, baby.

I don't mean to get all Iron Maiden but

Into the abyss I fall

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The stupid music poo poo is me.

I've been playing the first guitar I built from scratch again after awhile of it sitting in the case.
I was trying to get the intonation right but it kept coming up off no matter what I did.

I got a ruler out and measured the scale. I built it off by an 1/8" or so. I ended up installing a zero fret in front of the nut to correct it.

Other notable gently caress ups on this build. Neck is too thick, the finish has checked in places, one of the inserts for the neck stripped out, string through holes aren't straight, truss rod is hard to get to to adjust... the list goes on and on

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
For that Clapton strat that no one bid on, someone on another forum pointed out that there are many items on that auction site without any bids at all. Out of curiosity, I sorted by items with the most bids and this was near the top:

A Strat with a painting of Jimmy Page playing a Les Paul.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If you didn't tell me it was supposed to be Jimmy Page, I would have never guessed it based on that face.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i thought it was ace frehley

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

homewrecker posted:

For that Clapton strat that no one bid on, someone on another forum pointed out that there are many items on that auction site without any bids at all. Out of curiosity, I sorted by items with the most bids and this was near the top:

A Strat with a painting of Jimmy Page playing a Les Paul.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is that supposed to be Sean Connery?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ya

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

sigher posted:

If you didn't tell me it was supposed to be Jimmy Page, I would have never guessed it based on that face.

Looks like Elon Musk in a wig.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Superstrat? Yeah, I can do that (from Facebook marketplace):

Asking price is 10000dkk, or around 1600usd. It looks fun though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That’s wild. You can switch the order of the wah and phaser in the signal path. Neat.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
How does two volume controls and two tone controls work with three pickups?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Actuary X posted:

How does two volume controls and two tone controls work with three pickups?

Judging by the switches, there's two circuits somehow? Can you do that? Take one pickup and have it produce signals for two outputs?

Edit: might as well post the link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/615449295853232/

BonHair fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 21, 2020

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
this instagram appears to be prime this thread https://www.instagram.com/aguitaraday/

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Concatenation posted:

this instagram appears to be prime this thread https://www.instagram.com/aguitaraday/

oh man this thing rules

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Stupid music poo poo: friends who have been playing for more than a decade who don't know how to change strings or think it's magic they'll never understand. Every time they need a restring they go to a shop. I've tried showing them many times, they just throw their hands up and go "I don't get it!" even after doing one themselves.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hahah what hahaha is Glenn living in Groverhaus?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hell yeah.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Concatenation posted:

That's pretty cool, but good luck with barre chords anywhere near the headstock.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Stupid music poo poo: friends who have been playing for more than a decade who don't know how to change strings or think it's magic they'll never understand. Every time they need a restring they go to a shop. I've tried showing them many times, they just throw their hands up and go "I don't get it!" even after doing one themselves.

Wait, what? Seriously? Are they at least playing some kind of Floyd Rose monstrosity? Changing strings is so easy on most guitars, I don't see why you would pay for something like that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
They both have/had Floyd Rose guitars but no, were talking regular Strats or Les Pauls or whatever. They just think restringing is super hard and they don't want to learn because ???

Also they think I'm weird because I use restringing to zone out and have me time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they probably can change strings just fine if they wanted to but they have the money to pay someone else to do it for them and it makes them feel like a big shot

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I'll admit to having the shop do my old 12 string for me, but that was because I always seemed to break the high G and at least if they break it they have spares to hand.

Then again, I've been playing for over 25 years and to this day I still end up with one peg wrapped 10 times and another barely clinging on. Grovers were a game changer for me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they probably can change strings just fine if they wanted to but they have the money to pay someone else to do it for them and it makes them feel like a big shot

This, but I don't tune my guitars, I just buy new ones when they go out of tune.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean you'd think so but one of them likes to think he's an idiot as an excuse, the other is perpetually scared of loving things up. I link her a YouTube guide and she'll just freeze.

I shudder at how much they must've spent.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
How about suggesting they get some locking tuners for their guitars? I love those things and at this point I feel like any electric guitar I own will need to have them. I mean restringing a guitar without them isn't really that bad (as you've already mentioned) but I hate doing the string wrapping thing - I feel like I only ever did that perfectly once in my life, out of the many times I've attempted. Locking tuners heads just make everything so convenient for a lazy rear end like me. Plus if you get the Hipshot models with the mounting plate, you don't have to worry about drilling any extra holes in your headstock, so you can always take them back out if you want to bring the guitar back to stock (like if you're planning to sell or trade it).

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

syntaxfunction posted:

Shaking my head at them not having the good sense to be embarrassed about it. That's like having to have someone to tie your shoes for you..

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If I was rich enough to have someone tie my shoes for me every morning I totally would have someone tie my shoes for me every morning.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol the guy on local craigslist who has been trying, for the past 3 years that i know of, to sell a silverburst 1979 flying v that had a cracked neck repaired for $3000 finally did and has updated the ad to brag about it

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/msg/d/mount-union-sold-1979-silverburst/7240414265.html posted:

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1979 Silverburst Flying V - $3,000

I got to deal with some real jerks while posting this item. Well all you nay sayers it's SOLD! some one finely recognized it's value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

If I was rich enough to have someone tie my shoes for me every morning I totally would have someone tie my shoes for me every morning.

Plz hire I need moneys 🥺👉👈