Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

This'll be wild considering I posted my Steam screenshot where I have almost 200 hours played - I've never used mods.

My two problems were ignoring those factions (Kings being the best) and not mentioning the best vault - the Lottery one.

You’re insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Farm Frenzy posted:

I really like the dlcs because its all messy little personal stories that never quite resolve while the main campaign is all big decisive geopolitics. lonesome road in particular is basically just a guy trying to make you stop and think about how youve been forest gumping through world history without a care for the last 100 hours

I mean thats what Ulysses wants you to think but he's also a brokebrained weirdo who is more obsessed with the application of symbols rather than the meaning behind them projecting his insane biases on you because he thinks you're responsible for his own misfortunes. He's eloquent but he's not playing with a full deck and you can reject his nonsense or play it against him if you want to. The game never forces you to believe a word he says, which I appreciate. Its pretty clearly Avellone trying to project his worldview onto the player but Obsidian was nice enough to let you kill everyone in New Vegas if you dont agree with them or their word salad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O_kWL-YhZE

Dear god; Josh played more Planet Zoo :stonklol:.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I enjoyed the NV video, although I'm not sure it brought any insights that were completely novel to me about the game. That's probably in-part due to my own obsession with it.

It is nice to see Hbomb give 3 some credit; the game gets a lot of stick nowadays, and rightly so, but it feels like forget the context of it being one of the first open world rpg fps's before that genre would go on to very popular in the next decade. It being so novel in 2008 really helped give it extra draw.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Honest Hearts is the best DLC because it inspired me to actually go to Zion, which is an incredible beautiful place that I love.

Also Dead Money is great, I loved the sense of desperately scrounging around and using the police pistol to execute Ghost People while they were on the ground to make sure they stayed down.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sydin posted:

The thing too is it was as simple to fix as giving the player a consistent option of saying "I have no loving clue what you're talking about and you have the wrong guy", which IIRC you can kinda say at first but gets dropped after the Divide reveal. Letting you roleplay as somebody with a completely different backstory who is clueless at the one Ulysses is trying to thrust on you both preserves player role playing and still feeds into Ulysses' issues of needing someone to pin the blame of what he sees as the failure of the wasteland on.

That’s true. It would be easy to handwave it away as Ulysses being nuts if the game gave you the option.

Sydin posted:

Outer Worlds was a perfectly competent loot and shooter, nothing really stood out to me about it though. It doesn't really have anything interesting to say, the party members are pretty flat and what depth they do have gets explored and dropped incredibly quickly, and the combat works and is fun but also lacking in depth or meaningful challenge. From what I understand though the game was more of a proof of concept to investors that Obsidian still had it after all their financial troubles a few years ago, and through that lens it makes me excited about what's to come from them in the future.

What tripped up a lot of people, including me, about The Outer Worlds is that it’s way, way more of a comedy game than any of the Fallouts, like it’s trying to be an episode of Futurama or Rick and Morty. That apparently worked for some players and they did manage to find it funny, but to me it felt like a shallow knockoff of those shows. Jokes that would’ve been snappy and clever as a five-second cutaway gag are stretched over an entire quest in some cases, ruining what comedic potential they had, and it tends to lack the sincere moments that serve to ground the comedy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SimonChris posted:

More than the color palette, my main problem with the Fallout aesthetic is that everything has to be so grimy and run-down all the time, even though it's supposed to be generations after the apocalypse. Even in supposedly wealthy areas, people still live in filthy rooms with cracked walls, paint peeling off, etc. Why don't people clean their homes and give the walls a fresh coat of paint? It makes no sense.

This has actually bothered me more than I'd like to admit, and about more games than just fallout. Like at least the original fallouts had that whole "people trying to rebuild" vibe which, as Hbomb points out in his video, shows that even if the world looks like poo poo now: people are making efforts to do better. They're inventing new tech from the poo poo they find laying around, they're rediscovering agriculture and reforming entire cities. Eventually they're going to run out of scrap and have to start making their own stuff.

But then you get fallout 3 which is like, hundreds of years after the first fallout IIRC? And things have somehow gone backwards. Everyone just threw down their farming tools and went home to their crap shacks to stagnate. Get in bed with your skeletons, timmy, things can't get better than this.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Dead Money is a lot better when you play it with an Unarmed/Melee build, loot one of the Bear Trap Fists from the Ghosts, and clamp everything to death.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ApeHawk posted:

Dead Money is a lot better when you play it with an Unarmed/Melee build, loot one of the Bear Trap Fists from the Ghosts, and clamp everything to death.

Unarmed and Survival just break the poo poo out of dead money. Black sausage and whatever that other item is just destroys any semblance of difficulty unless you mod out food healing.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New vegas is a game I love dearly but can never finish since no matter the hardware I run into game stalling bugs and preformance issues even with stability mods

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honest Hearts is the best DLC because it inspired me to actually go to Zion, which is an incredible beautiful place that I love.

Also Dead Money is great, I loved the sense of desperately scrounging around and using the police pistol to execute Ghost People while they were on the ground to make sure they stayed down.
When I went it was mid Nov so while it was fairly empty, it was also pretty chilly so we just took the road to see what could be seen from there; granted Zion apparently gets really hot in Summer so in retrospect I was glad I was up in Bryce for my tenure (Bryce is like 70 degrees in the Summer, though it wasn't fun sleeping in a tent in -14 degree weather)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUoo6vv0k2U
A musical number from Jim loving Sterling! It's a Christmas miracle!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why do they key doing that poo poo in games with player created characters?

Probably because giving the player an engaging and believable role in the story is pretty hard when they don’t have a set personality or backstory, and is much much easier when they are the world’s most generic video game protagonist with the world’s most generic motiviation like in Fallout 4.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sydin posted:

Outer Worlds was a perfectly competent loot and shooter, nothing really stood out to me about it though. It doesn't really have anything interesting to say, the party members are pretty flat and what depth they do have gets explored and dropped incredibly quickly, and the combat works and is fun but also lacking in depth or meaningful challenge. From what I understand though the game was more of a proof of concept to investors that Obsidian still had it after all their financial troubles a few years ago, and through that lens it makes me excited about what's to come from them in the future.

it was also never a AAA game. it was always an AA game. basically what you said plus it came out right after DE did.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the thing about Outer Worlds is that people were expecting another game from the people who made Fallout: New Vegas, not another game from the people who made Fallout 1.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alaois posted:

the thing about Outer Worlds is that people were expecting another game from the people who made Fallout: New Vegas, not another game from the people who made Fallout 1.

yeah. i think its has some cool ideas and i like the base concept of the univese and i hope we get a deeper sequel someday. if we don't, thats fine too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

I hated this at first, but then fuckin fallout 4 forces you to be straight with a spouse and kid. Now, just saying "hey once you delivered a package here a long time ago" doesn't seem like a big deal to me as far as forcing stuff on your character goes.

Technically FO4 forces you to be bisexual with a side of polyamorous if you want to go that route, not that this is really brought up ever amongst anybody because Bethesda.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bakeneko posted:

What tripped up a lot of people, including me, about The Outer Worlds is that it’s way, way more of a comedy game than any of the Fallouts, like it’s trying to be an episode of Futurama or Rick and Morty. That apparently worked for some players and they did manage to find it funny, but to me it felt like a shallow knockoff of those shows. Jokes that would’ve been snappy and clever as a five-second cutaway gag are stretched over an entire quest in some cases, ruining what comedic potential they had, and it tends to lack the sincere moments that serve to ground the comedy.

My problem was that it was only wacky and zany in a couple very specific instances, and then would tonally whiplash back to something else. The whole prologue and tutorial of the game is - as you said - obviously trying to be wacky funny with Phineas, and sets the tone that this is going to be a comedy game. You romp through some dipshit raiders, get the clueless police trying to ticket your ship to leave, and then talk to your deadpan comedic ship AI. Okay, off to Edgewater to find a new power core, I wonder what kind of laughs will be had there?!

There are no laughs. Edgewater is depressingly bleak. A population worn down to the nub by their corporate overlords, with their only hope of salvation coming from a rebel faction that has found the secret to growing things, and that secret is grinding up dead humans to fertilize the soil. The two companions you can find here are a disillusioned priest who doesn't think a lick of a soul in the town and jumps at the first chance to abandon them to their fate and go adventuring while complaining about his tossball team, and the other is an abandoned child who spends the whole arc having an honest to god moral crisis over potentially destroying a community that she both hates and is yet the only home she's ever known. No matter who you side with you ruin a ton of lives and leave a ton of people unhappy.

...And then you get back into space and meet up with Phineas and it's ~wacky~ again! Rinse repeat for basically the whole game.

Obviously a story can have funny moments and serious moments, but imo Outer Worlds spends a pretty long time setting itself up as a comedy, then spends an even longer time wallowing in drama, and never really finds an equilibrium and you just feel awkwardly shunted between the funny bits and the serious bits without much cohesion.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really liked the stuff with Ashley Burch's character and the girl she crushes on. I eventually got bored of the overall game but that little bit was very cute so there is that at least.

The combat was just so boring. And I say that as someone who chooses very easy in most gaming circumstances. But none of the weapons or attacks had any weight to them. Landing attacks on enemies had zero oomph to it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cosmonaut Variet Hour ranks and reviews all those boy wizard movies from the TERF lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmABso6rgqM

Enjoy it before the copyright strikes hit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of copyright strikes
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1340960158130683904

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sydin posted:

My problem was that it was only wacky and zany in a couple very specific instances, and then would tonally whiplash back to something else. The whole prologue and tutorial of the game is - as you said - obviously trying to be wacky funny with Phineas, and sets the tone that this is going to be a comedy game. You romp through some dipshit raiders, get the clueless police trying to ticket your ship to leave, and then talk to your deadpan comedic ship AI. Okay, off to Edgewater to find a new power core, I wonder what kind of laughs will be had there?!

There are no laughs. Edgewater is depressingly bleak. A population worn down to the nub by their corporate overlords, with their only hope of salvation coming from a rebel faction that has found the secret to growing things, and that secret is grinding up dead humans to fertilize the soil. The two companions you can find here are a disillusioned priest who doesn't think a lick of a soul in the town and jumps at the first chance to abandon them to their fate and go adventuring while complaining about his tossball team, and the other is an abandoned child who spends the whole arc having an honest to god moral crisis over potentially destroying a community that she both hates and is yet the only home she's ever known. No matter who you side with you ruin a ton of lives and leave a ton of people unhappy.

...And then you get back into space and meet up with Phineas and it's ~wacky~ again! Rinse repeat for basically the whole game.

Obviously a story can have funny moments and serious moments, but imo Outer Worlds spends a pretty long time setting itself up as a comedy, then spends an even longer time wallowing in drama, and never really finds an equilibrium and you just feel awkwardly shunted between the funny bits and the serious bits without much cohesion.

I was so relieved when they finally cut out the comedy from the initial stuff - like the whole "corporate dystopia makes for craaaaazy stuff waka waka waka" got old after about five minutes, and it only reared its head in bursts from there. Comedy is really hard to write, and even harder to script/time in a video game, and that definitely needed work.

And there was the cannibal house; I'd put a spoiler tag but you seriously walk in the door, hear one line from the person inside and go "oh, we're doing *that* plot", because it's so painfully telegraphed. Like it needed a "sarcastic feigned surprise" dialogue tree option it was so blatant.

Alaois posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed it once I realized there was no exploring to be had, just go to your quest points and see the stories where they show up. They had a bunch of worlds with lots of space and then filled them with nothing. I just wish they had trimmed down the worlds a bit more or otherwise not made it seem like there was something to be found, or maybe that stuff had to be cut late. Combat was okay, the abilities were definitely pretty underwhelming, but it was an okay story and first run at a videogame world, and I hope they get a lot more character into their sequel.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

nooo I want to see this video so bad. youtube is cruel.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My wishlist for an Outer Worlds sequel, as one of the three goons who liked the game:

An imposing enemy faction who wears cool armour to put on the box-art, maybe rip-off Jin Roh. The Board is very much a Banal Evil, and not a Cool Evil.

Less quests where the C option is the obvious choice.

Downplay the effect of levels and make character-progression more horizontal like in New Vegas. You could never beat a Deathclaw or Cazadore swarm with a high level alone, you had to prepare.

Companions with more grave and less whiny personal issues.

Downplay generic loot and scavenging in general, unless you there's a neat and purposeful crafting system.

Character-building less weighted towards jack-of-all-trades. Maybe tie attributes, skill, and perks together.

More open-world fluff to encourage exploring off the beaten path. Roseway was a very pretty zone with no incentive to smell the flowers.

Has the flavour of Pillars 2: Deadfire.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Companions with more grave and less whiny personal issues.

Just having any personality at all beyond a few shallow quips would be an upgrade for some of them. Like the cleaning robot who constantly talks about cleaning… and nothing else. T3-M4 from KOTOR only spoke in beeps but he still managed to be far more of a character than SAM.

The rest may not be that bad, but most of them still felt flat. It's like they finished writing Parvati and then gave up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bakeneko posted:

Just having any personality at all beyond a few shallow quips would be an upgrade for some of them. Like the cleaning robot who constantly talks about cleaning… and nothing else. T3-M4 from KOTOR only spoke in beeps but he still managed to be far more of a character than SAM.

The rest may not be that bad, but most of them still felt flat. It's like they finished writing Parvati and then gave up.
Really just get Sawyer to direct and get the actual crew from New Vegas to write the game

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ariong posted:

Probably because giving the player an engaging and believable role in the story is pretty hard when they don’t have a set personality or backstory, and is much much easier when they are the world’s most generic video game protagonist with the world’s most generic motiviation like in Fallout 4.
It seems like the best games with player created characters have a job or early life event they hang stuff off of that's presented up front. Just hey you are a ______ everything beyond that and how you interpret that is up to you. This profession or background is why people are interacting with you. Please fill in the how.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ariong posted:

It's interesting that they've tried twice now to give their Fallout protagonists a really explicit backstory and motivation, meanwhile all the Elder Scrolls games still follow the "random mysterious prisoner with a fill in the blank backstory" which works just fine? Yeah in Morrowind you are always the Nerevarine (or maybe you're not, it's complicated) and in Skyrim you're always Dragonborn, but everything else is entirely up to you. When the Imperials kick you off a boat into a swampy backwater town in a backwater province with 30 gold, the clothes on your back, and orders to go talk to some guy somewhere, you don't also need the knowledge that you're chasing down a relative or whatever to compel you as a player to go out and explore this strange new world and get stronger.

If you cut out all the prologue poo poo from Fallout 4 and it just opened with you being mysteriously de-thawed from cryo, had a little tutorial area in the vault where you find some audiologs or books that set up some mystery around why you were unfrozen, and then kicked you out into the wasteland to explore, I doubt the average player is any less compelled to do so than they otherwise would be with the stolen baby plot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fallout 1 was a game about saving your home, Vault 13, from doom by finding a water chip.

Fallout 2 was a game about saving your home, Arroyo, from doom by finding a GECK.

what Bethesda took from this is that one of the key aspects of a Fallout game is the main plot having personal stakes to the player character, as opposed to their own Elder Scrolls series where it's Tradition for the player character to be a blank slate prisoner.

unfortunately since it's Bethesda, their interpretation of what makes a main plot have personal stakes is to give your player character a rigidly defined backstory and character motivation. in Fallout 1, you were just A Vault Dweller, picked to do a job by the Overseer. in Fallout 2, you were The Chosen One, but only because you are a direct blood relative of the Vault Dweller from Fallout 1. your character's life experiences up to that point are completely open to interpretation, other than your point of origin being set in stone.

in Fallout 3 you explicitly play a 19 year old looking for their runaway daddy and in Fallout 4 you're explicitly playing either a US Army veteran or a lawyer who was married, had a kid and got frozen in a vault where your spouse was killed and your baby was stolen so now it's time to find your lost baby.

you can see the germ of why Bethesda did what they did with their Fallout games, and the more familiar you get with the studio and how they write games the more you can see why it mutated into what they became.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Whatever my personal thoughts on the Bethesda games, I do wonder where the series would be now if they hadn't picked it up. It's a little nuts to think of now, but FO was loving dead before 3 came out. The original publisher ran it into an early grave, desecrated its still-warm corpse and flipped their own fandom the bird so they could unsuccessfully try to poo poo out a sequel to a game most people loving hated. At the very least I don't think any hypothetical scenario where Bethesda didn't get involved would have allowed it to grow into the AAA juggernaut it is now, for better or worse.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sydin posted:

If you cut out all the prologue poo poo from Fallout 4 and it just opened with you being mysteriously de-thawed from cryo, had a little tutorial area in the vault where you find some audiologs or books that set up some mystery around why you were unfrozen, and then kicked you out into the wasteland to explore, I doubt the average player is any less compelled to do so than they otherwise would be with the stolen baby plot.

Getting slightly thawed long enough to see a murder/baby-napping of some neighbor of yours in a cryo pod without any further context, then coming to a vague amount of time later knowing you witnessed some crime, and maybe being tempted to find out what the heck that was all about sounds like a way more intriguing hook than "THEY TOOK MY BABEYYY" too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The SPECIAL system in FO4 might be the shottiest level up mechanics I've seen in a video game in a long time. It never ever felt good to get a level outside the 1 to two times you finally got the skills gating you out of the next tier of weapon upgrades for your weapon type of choice. Even going for a full sniper specialized build with max perception felt completely boring and flaccid.

Combine this with not being able to see how your stats actually affected conversations (or even what you were actually going to say in convos) outside of an incredibly vague color gradient saying 'Maybe you'll pass this I dunno
...." made all of your choices feel pointless

It's like Bethesda'a only design goal was to double down on how lovely and pointless all their perks were by just making them all bad and having you spend levels to unlock the ability to spend levels to unlock options later.

FO4 might be the shittiest big budget big studio game I've ever played between the game being empty outside of their lovely city builder and randomly generated quests tied to them, the skill system, and the story being blade runner for idiots but with Deathclaws

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 22, 2020

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My big takeaway from FO 4 and 76 is that Hammerfell is gonna suck

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

grittyreboot posted:

My big takeaway from FO 4 and 76 is that Hammerfell is gonna suck

They're gonna gently caress up "The Most Precise Cuts" so loving bad I just want sick sword magic to be in a real video game let me cut an atom like in lore you loving cowards.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
wavywebsurf chats with Super Saiyan Jalen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vngYhxqnCvg

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

While I do think this would be a lot better, it also makes me think of RAGE's absurd opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLfVz4zbSsk

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The SPECIAL system in FO4 might be the shottiest level up mechanics I've seen in a video game in a long time. It never ever felt good to get a level outside the 1 to two times you finally got the skills gating you out of the next tier of weapon upgrades for your weapon type of choice. Even going for a full sniper specialized build with max perception felt completely boring and flaccid.

Combine this with not being able to see how your stats actually affected conversations (or even what you were actually going to say in convos) outside of an incredibly vague color gradient saying 'Maybe you'll pass this I dunno
...." made all of your choices feel pointless

It's like Bethesda'a only design goal was to double down on how lovely and pointless all their perks were by just making them all bad and having you spend levels to unlock the ability to spend levels to unlock options later.

FO4 might be the shittiest big budget big studio game I've ever played between the game being empty outside of their lovely city builder and randomly generated quests tied to them, the skill system, and the story being blade runner for idiots but with Deathclaws

This is entirely supposition but from my time playing Skyrim and Fallout 4, I believe that many of these game design decisions stem from a complete unwillingness by Bethesda to lock players out of content. The reason why is simple—they know the statistics more than anyone, that the vast majority of players only play through the game once, and most won't even finish the main quest. So because of this, they likely began designing their games with the idea that any character build can go to any location, interact with any NPC, and complete every quest—and in doing so, they also drastically reduced the number of options that would make characters or choices feel unique.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pigbuster posted:

While I do think this would be a lot better, it also makes me think of RAGE's absurd opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLfVz4zbSsk

I forgot John Goodman was in that game

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is entirely supposition but from my time playing Skyrim and Fallout 4, I believe that many of these game design decisions stem from a complete unwillingness by Bethesda to lock players out of content. The reason why is simple—they know the statistics more than anyone, that the vast majority of players only play through the game once, and most won't even finish the main quest. So because of this, they likely began designing their games with the idea that any character build can go to any location, interact with any NPC, and complete every quest—and in doing so, they also drastically reduced the number of options that would make characters or choices feel unique.

Honestly, bethesdas tends to have enough content that players missing something is fine. It means players who do only play once will have a different experience. Skyrim civil war was dumb, but at least you had people arguing over what side was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Skyrim main quest was so poo poo that it took me 7 years to beat.

Worse than Bethesda's writing is now their attempts to replace crafted content with pre-generated stuff. Fallout 4 felt very slight with only two real settlements and a quest-log consisting of "Talk to X" and "Fetch Y". All the content beyond that was radiant-fluff designed to artificially extend the playtime with very little effort.

The Witcher 3 and even the botched Cyberpunk have their share of fluff between the meaty sidequests but at least none of it is randomly-generated.