Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mdxi posted:

There's probably no need for any hackery or workarounds, because can't you do things like write a script to start 80 processes at once, or flip from Chrome with 350 tabs to Photoshop with a 85GB PSD to Cyberpunk 2077 multiple times per second.

What I'm saying is that I think the use case and UI design make it unlikely that a human would ever notice any possible suboptimal memory behavior.

I'm sure that running games on PC isn't too memory latency sensitive either if you're target is ~*cinematic 30 fps*~ :v:

Quoting for the next page:

Cygni posted:

For you mobile/APU-heads out there:

https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1340294195433660422

https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1340294511218585601

One thing of note, there is some rumors that VanGogh may actually be cancelled with MS instead going ARM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

None of that APU stuff matters to me when I can only buy overpriced versions via Ebay or random tray sellers :colbert:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I guess this is kinda a Ryzen-specific question but do NVME SSD cards need to specify they are built for PCIe 4.0 to get a performance boost out of it, or does any non-4.0 specif like the Samsung 970 Evo Plus get a boost from going in a 4.0 SSD slot, or do even the 4.0 SSD's not achieve high enough speeds to take advantage of the bandwidth? This is the first mobo I've had with 4.0 NVME

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

I guess this is kinda a Ryzen-specific question but do NVME SSD cards need to specify they are built for PCIe 4.0 to get a performance boost out of it, or does any non-4.0 specif like the Samsung 970 Evo Plus get a boost from going in a 4.0 SSD slot, or do even the 4.0 SSD's not achieve high enough speeds to take advantage of the bandwidth? This is the first mobo I've had with 4.0 NVME

The former. You can shove a PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive into a PCIe 4.0 slot and it will work just fine, but it'll still be limited to PCIe 3.0 speeds just the same as if it were in a PCIe 3.0 slot.

If you spend a lot and get a 980 Pro, you can get a NVMe drive that benchmarks about twice as fast as any PCIe 3.0 drive. But it won't matter in practice: nothing will load appreciably faster because of it. There is basically no reason for home users to be spending extra money to get a high-end PCIe 4.0 drive other than ePeen. If the PCIe 3 vs 4 options are within like $10 or something, sure, go for it. But don't drop an extra $100 on a super-fast drive expecting it to speed up game loads or anything, because it simply won't; a decent PCIe 3.0 NVMe drive is already fast enough that the bottleneck is almost always something else already for home users, so making it even faster doesn't help much.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
"Maybe some future GPU assisted SSD streaming in some future graphics engine could have a performance benefit with a PCIe 4.0 SSD" seems like the best argument, which is a) pretty speculative, and b) by the time it's real, there will be better/cheaper PCIe 4.0 SSds you can buy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Is Pollock aimed at cheap Chromebooks or embedded use? Seems odd to design a low power Zen APU on 14nm in 2021. I guess it's more GloFo fodder?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Inept posted:

Is Pollock aimed at cheap Chromebooks or embedded use?

Yes. Comically, AMD doesn't even bother branding it as "Embedded Epyc" or "Athlon" or... anything. Lenovo is making a chromebook with it, apparently.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-3015e

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Inept posted:

Is Pollock aimed at cheap Chromebooks or embedded use? Seems odd to design a low power Zen APU on 14nm in 2021. I guess it's more GloFo fodder?

Probably? It's also not pinched by supply on the high-end nodes so it can serve whatever it's purpose is without cutting into the supply of a newer arch.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sincx posted:

Anyone have a guess as to whether AM3+ will be DDR4, DDR5, or both?

How about AM4?

AM3+ was like 10 years ago. The current socket is AM4, which uses DDR4.

AM5 should be the next socket, and use DDR5.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

How about AM4?

EDO RAM

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sincx posted:

How about AM4?

Zen 3+ is on AM4, which means DDR4. It is probably coming next year.

Zen 4 is on AM5, which is DDR5. It is probably coming in 2022.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is there anywhere where I can read about the Asus bios and why there's duplicated sections with slightly different options?

On my Asus Tuf Pro x570 with 5900x cpu I have a PBO section under AI Tweaker and another PBO section under the "AMD Overclocking" section.

The AMD Overclocking PBO has the new curve optimizer and I can set EDC/etc to "motherboard limits". For EDC this is 190A apparently. I easily hit this with my cpu.

The other PBO allows me to set the value to whatever I want and I do see the usage in Ryzen Master go higher than 190 (about 210). The performance isn't any better though, in fact I think it's worse which leads me to believe it isn't the same thing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cygni posted:

So Zen3+ ought to work on existing X570/B550 boards, at least? With a uefi update of course.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

So Zen3+ ought to work on existing X570/B550 boards, at least? With a uefi update of course.

The common sense bet is yes, but AMD has not actually stated so. It'd be weird for them to not support them, assuming it still uses DDR4, though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It will be funny if AMD doesn't allow Zen3+ on B450/X470 boards and never releases more affordable chips on Zen 3, and I can totally see it happening.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Inept posted:

It will be funny if AMD doesn't allow Zen3+ on B450/X470 boards and never releases more affordable chips on Zen 3, and I can totally see it happening.

They're on top of the world now--they don't have to be a "good deal" anymore. If there's one thing they should take from Intel (from a business perspective) it's that when you're on top, you can really turn the screws on your customers by being total dicks about stuff like that and people will still flock to buy your products.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah strap in for AM5 to last all of two generations before you need to buy a new board

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah strap in for AM5 to last all of two generations before you need to buy a new board

ya cause ARM will have killed x86 by then :getin:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Inept posted:

There may be a point where they do 5600 non-x version for like $250 compared to $299, but yeah they have no need to do a more affordable one and especially not now when they cant' even keep them in stock. If stocks/warehouses start overflowing sometime in a year, maybe. And by that time Zen 3+ will be out and probably won't have anything cheaper than $299. I doubt we'll see a $199 equivalent of the 3600 though.

DrDork posted:

They're on top of the world now--they don't have to be a "good deal" anymore. If there's one thing they should take from Intel (from a business perspective) it's that when you're on top, you can really turn the screws on your customers by being total dicks about stuff like that and people will still flock to buy your products.
yeah although Intel will probably try to swing back in and could undercut big time next cycle... but probably wont because Intel is stupid. the one thing AMD should take away is not being complacent just re-releasing crabby lake/fart lake/sky farts/coffee cake/poppy seed renamed after some dumb vacation resort for $600 each time and loving up sockets every generation constantly. Intel chips are still insanely good for gaming in particular (much less good for other video-editting/rendering/simulation purposes compared to Zen3 but I wager most people are doing gaming on them) and would still be a really strong go-to for gamers, just, absolutely not worth the price they ask for them at all.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

EngineerJoe posted:

Is there anywhere where I can read about the Asus bios and why there's duplicated sections with slightly different options?

On my Asus Tuf Pro x570 with 5900x cpu I have a PBO section under AI Tweaker and another PBO section under the "AMD Overclocking" section.

The AMD Overclocking PBO has the new curve optimizer and I can set EDC/etc to "motherboard limits". For EDC this is 190A apparently. I easily hit this with my cpu.

The other PBO allows me to set the value to whatever I want and I do see the usage in Ryzen Master go higher than 190 (about 210). The performance isn't any better though, in fact I think it's worse which leads me to believe it isn't the same thing.
I would also like to know this, I suspect it's why my ram overclocking has always failed.

You can set timings in 2 sections and even setting both the same doesn't boot with manually entered mild safe docp/xmp settings.

Setting docp on the main ram page for what the ram is rated for does work though.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

My guess is that one is Asus' version and the other is AMD's. But I don't know which I should use and they appear to interact with eachother.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

yeah although Intel will probably try to swing back in and could undercut big time next cycle... but probably wont because Intel is stupid.

Intel will likely reclaim the performance crown for CPUs with 8 cores or less in a couple of months, and that's where most of the market is. I doubt they even feel that much pressure to drop prices as things stand considering how hard it is to get a Ryzen 5000 chip currently. If AMD do start taking the piss with their prices, it will stoke bad will and a lot of people who might have bought their stuff could just go for an Intel alternative that's nearly as good.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Xaris posted:

the one thing AMD should take away is not being complacent just re-releasing crabby lake/fart lake/sky farts/coffee cake/poppy seed renamed after some dumb vacation resort for $600 each time

lmao this made my day THANK YOU!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Intel will likely reclaim the performance crown for CPUs with 8 cores or less in a couple of months, and that's where most of the market is.

If you don't care about power yeah they can eke out a win on single thread apps but all core at 5.3-ish Ghz those chips are also rumored to use around 230-250W. Its not a bad chip, and getting to those clocks at all is still real difficult for anyone (AMD still can't do it on air with Zen3), but it kinda feels like a pyrrhic victory for Intel.

People already are kinda disappointed with the 5800X with the heat it produces and that thing uses 'only' around 150-170W at 4.7-4.8Ghz if you can get the voltage around 1.37v.

I think if they price it right it won't matter for too many and they'll still sell a bunch. Kinda how it went with the P4 really.

AMD's biggest problem is still supply. Was expecting things to turn out very different this time but I guess they got too much money from Sony/MS not to shift production to consoles for Christmas?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Consoles are going to be on 7nm at least for five years while CPUs and GPUs will continue with their node advancements, so it's temporary but still lovely.

And with these consoles, AMD can't not fill those orders. It would be a dick move, sure, but Sony and Microsoft essentially funded RDNA development and kept food on the table for AMD for a solid half decade or so. Secondly, B2B is where the margins are at for AMD, and one of those companies has a lot of say so in mobile and server and you'd want to stay on their good side.

It definitely sucks that all these have to come out of TSMC on the same node, but at least it's not GloFo :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
GloFo getting out of 7nm still makes no sense to me. Imagine the kind of revenue they could be having right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GloFo getting out of 7nm still makes no sense to me. Imagine the kind of revenue they could be having right now.

is "7nm manufacturing" a technology that's available in a public/open sense? I can't imagine that it's something that GloFo (or Intel, for that matter) could just, like, copy from TSMC.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

is "7nm manufacturing" a technology that's available in a public/open sense? I can't imagine that it's something that GloFo (or Intel, for that matter) could just, like, copy from TSMC.

No, but GloFo claimed they had successfully developed a 7nm process before announcing they would not use it because they didn't think there was enough demand.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm just glad they're content being their own albatross.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Drakhoran posted:

No, but GloFo claimed they had successfully developed a 7nm process before announcing they would not use it because they didn't think there was enough demand.
"However, in August 2018, GlobalFoundries made the decision to suspend 7 nm development and planned production, citing the unaffordable costs to outfit Fab 8 for 7 nm production. GlobalFoundries held open the possibility of resuming 7 nm operations in the future if additional resources could be secured."

They straight up couldn't afford a 7nm foundry. At this point, even if they got the money to build one, the node would be outdated by the time they could start production runs of 7nm parts. They basically consigned themselves to being a second tier producer.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I think they had the money in the sense it could be done, but didn't have the money because that wouldn't make NUMBER go up. Of course hindsight is supremely 20/20 and a second competent source for 7nm would be rolling in loving cash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Global foundries is much smaller than TSMC/Samsun/Intel, no? I can absolutely believe they couldn’t get the funds together.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, but they're also funded by Saudi blood oil money, so they could probably still work it out...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The problem was that GF apparently didn't have the physical floor space at their fabs so installing 7nm would have meant ripping out the older stuff that had apparently just started to break even, and Mubadala balked at that.

Not really clear why if they were short of fab space they didn't just build a new building? Like I'm sure installing an ultra-clean building is not cheap but it seems like it can't be all that much when considering the revenue you would lose from tearing out your old node, and compared to the development cost of the new node?

I guess the subtext here is that GloFo is not making the profits that TSMC is and they just really didn't want to stay in the horse race when they're barely breaking even.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you don't care about power yeah they can eke out a win on single thread apps but all core at 5.3-ish Ghz those chips are also rumored to use around 230-250W. Its not a bad chip, and getting to those clocks at all is still real difficult for anyone (AMD still can't do it on air with Zen3), but it kinda feels like a pyrrhic victory for Intel.

People already are kinda disappointed with the 5800X with the heat it produces and that thing uses 'only' around 150-170W at 4.7-4.8Ghz if you can get the voltage around 1.37v.

I think if they price it right it won't matter for too many and they'll still sell a bunch. Kinda how it went with the P4 really.

AMD's biggest problem is still supply. Was expecting things to turn out very different this time but I guess they got too much money from Sony/MS not to shift production to consoles for Christmas?

They don't need to hit 5.3 all core to take back a gaming performance win, and realistically that's probably the audience that makes most sense for these chips.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Interestingly enough, the minimum supported CPUs both have AVX and wouldn’t have problems. They recompiled with a lower CPU support target to let people play on Core 2 and AMD Phenom CPUs, which will potentially make performance worse for everyone with CPUs less than 10 years old.

Speaking of which, anybody still on Bulldozer? How’s it holding up? Ye olde FX-8100 has AVX, and apparently Bulldozer actually does OK at Cyberpunk.

It’s me, I’m the person running an FX-8350 in TYOOL 2020. I’ve got it paired with a 970 and on mid-low setting it plays decent enough all things considered, just doesn’t look amazing.

I really can’t wait for 5 series supplies to stabilize so I can finally retire this worn out bulldozer.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cygni posted:

Zen 4 is on AM5, which is DDR5. It is probably coming in 2022.

Is the current thinking that Zen 3+ will still work on X570?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pyrotek posted:

Is the current thinking that Zen 3+ will still work on X570?

Yeah, both X570 and B550 should support whatever AMD has planned for this year. The rumor is that there aren't new boards coming at all, but we shall see.