Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Karloff posted:

Is that in regards to the boob gag? I don't know what's to get. What were people "missing" in AOU that it needed to be revisited in Justice League.

You'd have to ask ol' bobblehead himself that. But there were more than a few similarities between Josstice league and AoU. Quippy speedster, eastern european country in crisis with a focus on saving civilians, boob pratfall, and a few other stuff. But it would seem he had a severe chip on his shoulder coming in to the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Having a quippy speedster predates Whedon, at least based on things like 2016 comicon trailer.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I got to see parts of Age of Ultron again recently and...man I forgot so much of that movie with good reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I rewatched Justice League the other night and I definitely got vague Avengers/Age of Ultron vibes to it a bunch of times. The one that stood out to me was the Superman resurrection scene feeling a bit like the Vision birth scene. But just generally the quippy stuff between them and just general feel.

But a lot of that is so common and I didn't know what was Whedon's and what was Snyder's so I couldn't draw any clear conclusions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I got to see parts of Age of Ultron again recently and...man I forgot so much of that movie with good reason.

Lots of good parts, so many bad decisions though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Vision stuff is probably the highlight of AoU for me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paul Bettany is great yeah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The structure of the final act is similar too. Like Vision basically takes out Ultron by himself but the rest of the Avengers are occupied fighting all the Ultron bots and working out the macguffin of the device in the center. In the same way Superman just whips Steppenwolf when he shows up and the rest of the League have the parademons and splitting the motherbox apart to do. There's also the idea of evacuating the city on Age of Ultron vs Flash and Supes evacuating... one family.

It does feel very similar but also like... very half assed. Like the evacuation thing is one quick scene with Supes and Flash trading quips, the parademons have to be threats on their own while the Ultron drones are threats to the civilians and macguffin, and Supes ends up stopping fighting with Steppenwolf so he can do the motherbox thing and then goes back and beats him. And instead of Vision giving a unifying speech and going off with the team Supes flies away and then shows up to end the fight. It all feels like the same outline but worse execution.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thankfully getting more Paul Bettany in the Wandavision series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And hopefully beyond.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

McCloud posted:

But it would seem he had a severe chip on his shoulder coming in to the project.

This isn't anything new with the man, he complained for years about how his scripts for Alien Resurrection and Xmen were adapted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like Age of Ultron was a flop or critically reviled. Most people thought it was kind of a step down from Avengers but still liked it. What's the problem here, that's how people view most sequels.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Whedon's a massive egotistical loser and even the slightest knock against his magnum opus was way too much for him to bear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lurdiak posted:

What's the problem here, that's how people view most sequels.
I dunno, it seemed like a massive step down from Avengers and more like a .5 step between Avengers and what should have been Avengers 2.

poo poo like the random love plot with Nat and Hulk (I'm a monster, I can't have kids!) drags it down as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Infinity War is the only Avengers movie that is good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

I dunno, it seemed like a massive step down from Avengers and more like a .5 step between Avengers and what should have been Avengers 2.

poo poo like the random love plot with Nat and Hulk (I'm a monster, I can't have kids!) drags it down as well.

Oh I think the movie's mostly garbage but I'm talking about general reception. It didn't flop or get savaged by critics or anything. Like who cares what a handful of internet grumpos like us think about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Whedon hated the production of AoU and fought with the studio a lot so without knowing the actual quote he might have been talking about that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Infinity War is the only Avengers movie that is good.

Yeah, bet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Whedon hated the production of AoU and fought with the studio a lot so without knowing the actual quote he might have been talking about that.

You run into an rear end in a top hat once, you ran into an rear end in a top hat, you run into an rear end in a top hat everyday...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just rewatched Aquaman and I think I may have lost my mind half way through it and now I'm just laughing maniacally. What a bizarre, shameless, mess of a film that somehow is just too crazy not to be kind of fun.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It was the Toto cover, wasn't it :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

I just rewatched Aquaman and I think I may have lost my mind half way through it and now I'm just laughing maniacally. What a bizarre, shameless, mess of a film that somehow is just too crazy not to be kind of fun.

What's not to love about a movie where in the final battle the hero comes riding in on a kaiju?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mary Poppins kaiju no less.

I'm not entirely convinced this isn't some kind of fever dream.

Born on the wrong side of the ocean...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aquaman is somehow both better and worse than the sum of it's parts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Aquaman is the Monster Energy drink of superhero movies and I have equal amounts of respect and contempt for it being so intensely dumb and obnoxious.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shirkelton posted:

You run into an rear end in a top hat once, you ran into an rear end in a top hat, you run into an rear end in a top hat everyday...

...you’re in Hollywood.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My favorite part of the Aquaman movie was when he and Mera had that big dramatic kiss near the end, and meanwhile in the background thousands of Atlanteans are dying. Like, they do some nice lighting with it but that is literally explosions from the big battleground that they are right in the middle of. It's stupid and I love it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I think the movie's mostly garbage but I'm talking about general reception. It didn't flop or get savaged by critics or anything. Like who cares what a handful of internet grumpos like us think about it.

AoU I think suffers largely from a hindsight problem. I definitely enjoyed it when I saw it in the theaters, but over time the sheen absolutely wore off as you came to realize just how non great it was. A really good test is to ask yourself the question: do you even get the urge to rewatch it? Like I've seen Ant Man multiple times because that's just a fun/chill rewatch and it's a good plane movie too. But thinking about sitting down for 2+ hours and rewatching Ultron makes me utterly disinterested.

That said I have rewatched the Vision intro scene many times because that part absolutely does rule.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AoU is a mediocre movie that's peppered with good scenes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure I saw Ultron in theaters but literally remember nothing about the experience. I can recall buying concessions at Deadpool. I remember talking to my mom after the first X-Men movie. I remember walking out of the theater baffled by the new fantastic four. I couldn't tell you a single thing I remember from the first time I saw Ultron. I remember the second time I saw it, at home, my thought was "this isn't as bad as I remember it being." It's just a two hour movie of nothing though. Even Spader isn't allowed to do anything that fun.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My only vague recollection is the whole 'Scarlet Witch decides to help out' bit in the final battle did get the cheap pop it was going for.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aquaman is the Monster Energy drink of superhero movies and I have equal amounts of respect and contempt for it being so intensely dumb and obnoxious.

Yeah this sums up my feelings. I like a lot of it, but so much of the movie is loving stupid and bad.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Aquaman is stupid as hell and I love it. It fully embraces it's comic book roots and is all the better for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I liked Aquaman more when I thought it was building up to Aqua realizing that yeah, he's not fit to be king, and making Mera queen instead when she's demonstrably vastly more competent and knowledgeable.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Having a quippy speedster predates Whedon, at least based on things like 2016 comicon trailer.

You forget how bad the CG was in that film and they seemed to have no idea what to do with the Flash.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've said it before but Aquaman is a solid 2003-2006 movie. If a Saliva song appeared in the end credits it wouldn't feel put of place.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cythereal posted:

I liked Aquaman more when I thought it was building up to Aqua realizing that yeah, he's not fit to be king, and making Mera queen instead when she's demonstrably vastly more competent and knowledgeable.

She's really not, though. She's more knowledgeable about politics than Arthur, but the movie, for all that it is often supremely, awesomely dumb, actually does a pretty good job of making the case for Arthur being a good king; he's charismatic, fearless, trained for war, has an intuitive connection with the ocean and its dwellers, and knows when to show mercy and restraint to his enemies.

It's a lot better than, say, Ant-Man, where the Wasp is clearly better than Ant-Man at every single thing including planning a heist for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

She's really not, though. She's more knowledgeable about politics than Arthur, but the movie, for all that it is often supremely, awesomely dumb, actually does a pretty good job of making the case for Arthur being a good king; he's charismatic, fearless, trained for war, has an intuitive connection with the ocean and its dwellers, and knows when to show mercy and restraint to his enemies.

It's a lot better than, say, Ant-Man, where the Wasp is clearly better than Ant-Man at every single thing including planning a heist for some reason.

I mean Ant Man is a loving idiot even IC

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I don't know why but the fight scene in Scilly in Aquaman just makes me go "gently caress that's cool." Especially when there's the shot that starts on Mera and zooms out to get to what Aquaman is dealing with.

Like, objectively I know that there's really nothing about that shot and scene that is groundbreaking or anything, but it weirdly hits me in that little kid thinking something is awesome vibe and I really can't explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OCTOPUS DRUMMER