Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bungie has been oddly obsessed with the term Salvation for the past couple years, too.

its all hermetic alchemy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

To give credit the good points of the Shadowkeep Experience were

The last 2 minutes of the story
The first time clearing Garden
Good sounding guns

Xenos Phagus

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Judging an expansion by its campaign is no Bueno IMHO since the campaigns are all quite bad

Forsaken was the random rolls expansion
Shadowkeep was the armor 2.0 expansion
Beyond Light is the gear sunset expansion
Witch Queen is the customizable darkness subclass expansion

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

OzFactor posted:

I tried to run a Nightfall strike last night (at Adept) and feel like I really weighed my teammates down--I think we ended at 50K, which, if I'm doing my math correctly, is not very close to 100K at all. Is 100K easy for people who are good? I didn't die constantly or anything but I was the only one who had to be revived. Should I stay out of the way? Is there a list of what gives you more/less points?

Oh man, now that I asked that I tried to google it and I am reading that it's literally impossible to get 100K unless you're at Legend or Master...? Does the actual game, like, tell you these kinds of things somewhere and I'm just not seeing it?

Yeah you'll never get 100k on 1180,depending on the week might be doable on 1220, always on 1250. 1280 is for extra chances at bonus rewards.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Kith posted:

sounds like they gave u.......

the business

How dare you.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Please don't go into PVP with some garbage slideways/ auto loading holster gun roll. These guides aren't randoms picking. PVP players do way more testing than goons do, they know what they're talking about and being willfully ignorant/stupid about what's good or not isn't conductive to having a good time playing the game.

A good roll does make the difference, I don't care what people say. My snapshot sights/rangefinder nation of beasts feels much better than my ambitious assassin/multikill clip seventh seraph officer revolver in PVP. I followed guides for awhile until I got a handle on what was good/what I liked.

For PVE usually rampage, feeding frenzy, multikill clip, Demolitionist, wellspring, swashbuckler, one for all, outlaw, rapid hit, trench barrel, one two punch, field prep, cluster bomb, whirlwind blade, relentless strikes, vorpal weapon.

For PVP rangefinder, opening shot, kill clip, rampage, surplus, quickdraw, Demolitionist, wellspring, dynamic sway reduction, moving target, outlaw, zen moment, killing wind, snapshot sights, tap the trigger, explosive payload, swashbuckler.

Those are just a few examples. You'll see sometimes the perks a gun can roll with show its more suited for PVE or PVP. Ricochet rounds and high caliber rounds are always good for PVP. Assault Mag is a God roll for shotguns in PVE. I personally hate drop mag because it wastes ammo.

For exotics they're mostly all useable in PVE, though somes gimmick isn't really as good once you start doing hard content like Thorn or Monte Carlo.

In PVP Ace of Spades, Thorn, the last word, autos regime, jade rabbit, whitherhoard, bastion, and sunshot are good.

Join the discord and ask for help, they're very nice and helpful if people are on.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Kith posted:

I'm not real big on tiresome nerds jumping at the chance to "WELL ACTUALLY" me because I don't march in lockstep with them.
If somebody asks what weapons are good in the game, and you respond, "maybe EVERYTHING is good in this game, you should try them," just type that poo poo in a .txt document and save it to your desktop. It doesn't help anybody.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Kith posted:

There is no objectively good or bad gunfeel.

Oh, here we go again.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
To bring the good gun perks conversation full circle, I did get a Cold Front with Dragonfly. It's fun to use, but very soon after I got a Gnawing Hunger with field prep and rampage that is amazing! So now I'm using that with Sweet Business for PvE. Also, as a new player, I really appreciated the back and forth about sword perks, because it helped me understand that relentless strikes and whirlwind blade are highly sought after; and I had a roll like that in my vault. Thanks!

Also I beat my first dungeon (Prophecy) today with two other goons! :toot: DaemonQueller, thanks for helping Waroduce and I with that! :hfive:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

McLarenF1 posted:

To bring the good gun perks conversation full circle, I did get a Cold Front with Dragonfly. It's fun to use, but very soon after I got a Gnawing Hunger with field prep and rampage that is amazing! So now I'm using that with Sweet Business for PvE. Also, as a new player, I really appreciated the back and forth about sword perks, because it helped me understand that relentless strikes and whirlwind blade are highly sought after; and I had a roll like that in my vault. Thanks!

Also I beat my first dungeon (Prophecy) today with two other goons! :toot: DaemonQueller, thanks for helping Waroduce and I with that! :hfive:

Please don't use double primaries for pve. Pick a gun that uses green ammo for one of those slots and use it to kill enemies with yellow bars over their heads. Most green ammo guns will be way more efficient at killing these guys.

Doc Mave
Jan 7, 2007
Not a real doc.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please don't use double primaries for pve. Pick a gun that uses green ammo for one of those slots and use it to kill enemies with yellow bars over their heads. Most green ammo guns will be way more efficient at killing these guys.

Seconding the green ammo gun advice. Slug shotguns are regarded as a very powerful option right now and farming Bonechiller rolls from Varik’s repeatable defending Europa quests is really easy and will give you a very solid gun without too much effort.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Thanks for the guidance, I'll work on the Chaperone quest next so I can replace the Sweet Business with that.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
As a Titan who quite likes Stasis, is there an exotic that really stands out as worth buying from the archive for PvP? I'm currently bad at it so have no problems starting from scratch and learning to use the weapon properly - I'm getting much better at punching people when close and I use the Heart of Inmost Light as it's pretty amazing for keeping abilities flowing.

I already have Mida Multi-Tool and Rat King as drops. I've got Duality with the catalyst and it's pretty fun but my main problems remains - I can shoot people from far away and I can punch fine/shotgun up close, but I get utterly ruined consistently in the mid distance (tho I'm learning to slide away rapidly). Is this just learning to be more situationally aware and avoiding it or is there a weapon that excels in this situation? When you are bad at the PvP it's hard to know if it's a "keep going with this weapon, practice and it will be fine" or "this is never going to work because you're an idiot".

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
After some while i finally manned up and got the Hunter up to date.
I didnt wanna spend too much time on gearing so i just took the weapons she had, 1250´d them and got to it.

Trip report:
Witherhoard - Gnawing Hunger - Guilliotine is still a holy trinity and a half.
All those new guns and sword and whatnots are nice, but jesus christ nothing beats the joy of magdumping some sucker, throwing a grenade at their face and dumping another mag without reloading.
FG still rapes bosses, and WH still... well, shits orbs and kills bosses and trash and basically everything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The only exotic gun that really synergizes with behemoth is Monte Carlo and its not in the archive kiosk, its just a world drop.

Tbh if you have inmost you already have the exotic that will help behemoth most if you’re still getting used to it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I finished unlocking all of stasis Titan and got Inmost recently. Playing it overall it mostly makes me think "i could be playing bottom solar Titan, or bubble Titan, or another character right now", tbh

I like the movement tech with shiver strike; and cleaning up lots of mooks by sliding into glacier grenades is fun; but in difficult combat where I can't just wade in, they go unused almost entirely - or worse, spuriously (walls aside, anyway). and the super feels by far like the weakest of the three, as amusing a spectacle as it is

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 22, 2020

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I finished unlocking all of stasis Titan and got Inmost recently. Playing it overall it mostly makes me think "i could be playing bottom solar Titan, or bubble Titan, or another character right now", tbh

I like the movement tech with shiver strike; and cleaning up lots of mooks by sliding into glacier grenades is fun; but in difficult combat where I can't just wade in, they go unused almost entirely - or worse, spuriously (walls aside, anyway). and the super feels by far like the weakest of the three, as amusing a spectacle as it is

A big thing with the Titan super is, youre completely gimping yourself if you use it during or with forward momentum.
The animation is considerably more clunky if forward momentum is applied, stationary or even backward input while activating cuts the animation and delivers much more immediate results.

Its still basically a melee in a world of ranged supers, and can be countered by moving somewhere else.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The other problem with top-tier meta guns is whether you have to alter your playstyle to use them effectively.

Undoubtedly, you can wreck poo poo with a slideways shotgun, but in the whole time I've played Destiny I've never gotten the hang of shotgun sliding, and certainly not to the extend where I can land a headshot. So a slug shotgun that drops with slideways is going to be functionally useless to me, a player who relies on mid/long range engagements and swords /punches at short range.

Guns like Ace of Spades and Last Word just have very good stats, and you can use them the same as any other handcannon, just with better stats.

Jade Rabbit however I find fiddly to get the best out of the body shot / head shot rhythm. Same with snipers like Izanagi's Burden - great in PvE where I can take my time and get massive bonus damage, less so in PvP where I whiff the shot more than half the time and then have no special ammo.

So I guess when you read about meta guns, also take into account your own abilities, how those guns are used to best effect, and if that's a playstyle you have the reflexes and dexterity to pull off.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 22, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Slideshot/slideways is literally just for reloading while being on the move and not having to use the animation. Its quicker and easier than pressing reload. The rest is just a bonus but not something to try to take advantage of.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Im in the same boat with shotguns - i just cant get the hang of them.
I consider myself a pulse rifle main now, since they hit hard enough with very little aim, still do good damage without and they work well on all ranges above melee.
Should something close in beyond shotgun range, i will 100% die while trying to whip out my shotgun or shoot right through their hitbox or fail to ohk them or mousewheel decides to pass the shotgun and whip out my empty sword or whatever.

So basically i pulse until dead, everything else just doesnt click with me.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The other problem with top-tier meta guns is whether you have to alter your playstyle to use them effectively.

Undoubtedly, you can wreck poo poo with a slideways shotgun, but in the whole time I've played Destiny I've never gotten the hang of shotgun sliding, and certainly not to the extend where I can land a headshot. So a slug shotgun that drops with slideways is going to be functionally useless to me, a player who relies on mid/long range engagements and swords /punches at short range.

Guns like Ace of Spades and Last Word just have very good stats, and you can use them the same as any other handcannon, just with better stats.

Jade Rabbit however I find fiddly to get the best out of the body shot / head shot rhythm. Same with snipers like Izanagi's Burden - great in PvE where I can take my time and get massive bonus damage, less so in PvP where I whiff the shot more than half the time and then have no special ammo.

So I guess when you read about meta guns, also take into account your own abilities, how those guns are used to best effect, and if that's a playstyle you have the reflexes and dexterity to pull off.
As RBX said, Slideshot/Slideways is for the reload. The extended range from slideshot doesn't usually factor in, because it doesn't extend a great deal past the slide. Especially in the case of slug shotguns, which have a capped range at 12.5 meters, IIRC.

Ace has the whole kitchen sink of perks at its disposal. It has always-active radar, infinite kill clip as long as you don't switch the weapon itself and dragonfly for collateral kills. Last Word is unique in that it has an incredibly low magazine count, fires full auto, and does escalating damage per hip-fire impact. It used to be paired with snipers quite frequently up until it received a huge stability nerf (it's mostly a controller gun now, though the range changes impacted this HC favorably as well)

Jade Rabbit is not about the body shot vs head shot perk, it simply exists as the highest aim assist 150 RPM Scout in the game. The exotic perk really exists to let you 2b+1c people sometimes, instead of requiring the 1b+2c to kill someone. As far as scout rifles go, it's incredibly forgiving for a high impact scout archetype.

I often find it easier to just look at whatever the people topping the leaderboards are using in my crucible matches, and then attempt to copy what they're doing.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im in the same boat with shotguns - i just cant get the hang of them.
I consider myself a pulse rifle main now, since they hit hard enough with very little aim, still do good damage without and they work well on all ranges above melee.
Should something close in beyond shotgun range, i will 100% die while trying to whip out my shotgun or shoot right through their hitbox or fail to ohk them or mousewheel decides to pass the shotgun and whip out my empty sword or whatever.

So basically i pulse until dead, everything else just doesnt click with me.
Suggestion: Grenade launchers and staying the heck away from corners. Depending on subclass, you can throw down smoke, stasis grenades, or slide out of engagement range if you see someone pushing with a shotgun. Simply floating backwards and tagging someone with with a proximity or concussion grenade from Truthteller can give you an easy clean up with either an ability kill or your primary.

A lot of my early crucible days in D2 were a combination of Warden's Law (this was not a good handcannon, i just used it) and Fighting Lion on a hunter with Stompeez.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 22, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sestze posted:

I often find it easier to just look at whatever the people topping the leaderboards are using in my crucible matches, and then attempt to copy what they're doing.
Last night I was getting mauled by a hunter who was either shotgun sliding, or jumping over my head and whipping round 360° and shotgunning me in the head before I could even turn halfway.

Aside from them likely using a Xim to turn so fast, I just don't have the dexterity to do that. So there are definitely some weapons that have amazing dps, but that you have to do weird stuff to really get the best out of it.

Half the problem is that when someone engages you as a warlock and your only solution is 'get out of the way,' we are not a particularly mobile class - hunter dodge is amazing in that respect.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only exotic gun that really synergizes with behemoth is Monte Carlo and its not in the archive kiosk, its just a world drop.

Tbh if you have inmost you already have the exotic that will help behemoth most if you’re still getting used to it.

Ooh this is a gun that I have!

/runs to vault

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hey don’t be a meta slave! He should use whatever he wants. gently caress the meta.

No one in the thread is allowed to tell people what guns are good, in case you didn’t get the memo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

triple gl or get the gently caress out of my goddamn fireteam

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Hey don’t be a meta slave! He should use whatever he wants. gently caress the meta.

No one in the thread is allowed to tell people what guns are good, in case you didn’t get the memo.

ok, so you're claiming that my suggestion of "don't handicap yourself, use all of the systems in the game" is suggesting to follow the meta. Cool cool cool. Good. Really good. Glad that we've gone full idiot horseshoe irony

I didn't say which green ammo gun to use, or which slot to use it in, just that they should use one.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

ok, so you're claiming that my suggestion of "don't handicap yourself, use all of the systems in the game" is suggesting to follow the meta. Cool cool cool. Good. Really good. Glad that we've gone full idiot horseshoe irony

I didn't say which green ammo gun to use, or which slot to use it in, just that they should use one.

I was being a dick to the idiot who was whining about people recommending specific stuff.

Your post was correct.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

wooosh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

1995 called to remind us that intent is hard to read on the internet

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I only use Crimson or Mida Multitool in every Crucible match. I never see anyone else using these guns though, why not?

Just to clarify I'm saying mida multi tool is the best gun in the game and anything you say otherwise is wrong and biased.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hand cannon + Surprise Attack sidearm for life

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

I beat the Prophecy Dungeon exclusively using Sweet Business and a Seventh Seraph Saw, but I also died a poo poo ton. I typically want to know what the meta / best practices are so I can try them out. If I don't like them, I'll definitely just switch back to what works for me.

Also, wouldn't the Monte Carlo pair well with Synthoceps, which "Increase melee lunge range. Improve melee and Super damage when you're surrounded".

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
just had a bug where Hawthorne was all jittery

louis' condition is spreading

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

McLarenF1 posted:

Also, wouldn't the Monte Carlo pair well with Synthoceps, which "Increase melee lunge range. Improve melee and Super damage when you're surrounded".

It does indeed, it also pairs well with Feedback Fence, Skullfort, Wormgod Caress, Doomfang, Peregrine Greaves, Stand Asides, Dunemarchers, and Severance Enclosure.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

McLarenF1 posted:

Synthoceps affects your melee irrespective of whether it's powered or not. It and MC don't really interact despite both ostensibly being melee exotics.

The only Titan exotic that really "synergizes" with Monte Carlo is Doomfangs because it creates a crazy feedback loop for getting your super near instantly, but outside that Monte Carlo is just a very good exotic that makes one of your abilities have much greater uptime. It's very class and subclass agnostic.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ciaphas posted:

triple gl or get the gently caress out of my goddamn fireteam

rip militia's birthright

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mazerunner posted:

just had a bug where Hawthorne was all jittery

louis' condition is spreading

Abuela Eva has it too on occasion

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

rip militia's birthright

:smith:

Don't remind me, it hurt too much.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

I only use Crimson or Mida Multitool in every Crucible match. I never see anyone else using these guns though, why not?

Just to clarify I'm saying mida multi tool is the best gun in the game and anything you say otherwise is wrong and biased.

Crimson is good just other stuff is slightly better. I used it a lot for iron Banner the other week and it did good.

Mida isn't used cuz scouts over all aren't in a good spot in PVP right now. It's still fine just again other stuff is better and can do more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how the lore tab for Crimson states that the gun doesn't work off of light or anything, it just is able to heal the person using it by shooting other people in the head, somehow, so shut up dinklebot I'm going to keep the drat gun

I wish there was some way or another to use the MIDA Multi and Minitools at the same time