Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its weird because the Hiss get setup with a whole pile of stuff at the start and then it just treads water until around chapter 5 or 6 and then the game starts treating it as more of an annoyance than an existential threat like some rain while your objectives shift hard to another existential threat.

Its weird because I like the mold which is yet another competing existential threat slamming into the building at the same time, and how you just kind of handle it, optionally, in the background but the Hiss just isn't working totally for me. We'll see since Im only in chapter 8(?) right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the caspar darling music video owns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sally posted:

the caspar darling music video owns

I think what hurts me is how bad all the others are. They just aren't hitting the right tone or candor. For example. the one in his office which should stick out for how off he is in the video (no glasses) isn't very different from the others even as it tries to make you understand this is more serious. It also means the music video one (which does rule) feels less weird which is debatable how that makes you feel.

Darling has been kind of a miss for me so far

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hades continues to rock my socks off but I'm starting to notice it's very visually busy. The art itself is gorgeous but some of the visual effects apply on top of the characters, which obscures them completely. Not a big issue if you're far away but up close you need to see an enemy to watch for an attack and dodge and it's tough when they're covered by lightning and opaque fog and explosions. You could see this as part of the strategy involved in combat- don't attack too frequently and overcommit because it'll make it hard to see the enemy, or something like that. But I dunno, I don't think it adds to the fun factor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just did the Ashtray Maze in Control. The song sucks out loud, just miserable and detracting from the setpiece, and theres a way way better uptempo song in the game that 100% should have been used there instead. Waste.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Maybe someone here can help with Enter the Gungeon. I can live with the fact that no matter the control settings, starting coop always switches player 1 to the controller and player 2 to kbm.
What's really bad is the placement of the cursor from the mouse. If the person with the controller is walking around, the camera moves and the mouse aiming reticle is relative to the camera. That is....so, so dumb I can barely believe it. You aim at an enemy with the mouse. Controller player moves. Now the mouse user isn't aiming at the enemy any more.
If I try to google, I only find help about turning the camera movement off when you move the mouse. Is there a way to make the mouse relative to the level?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Assassins Creed Valhalla: I'm like 8 hours into this game and it's still introducing new systems with tutorials for me. I thought I'd be starting the game proper after the 6 hour prologue tutorial and title card, but now it's introducing the basebuilding/raiding/assassin/bureau/alliance stuff, which all are interesting and seem like the real meat of the game. But at this point I'm just already really tired of having another Thing to Track added to my agenda every time I take ten steps.

It does seem like most of this stuff just happens naturally, "go to icons on the map and the rest falls into place", but it just really could have been smoothed over with more care in the development process. Why are there so many menus and resources? It works, but it's really unwieldy and makes everything feel unrewarding because of how diluted the value of any single resource or event is. For example, why do weapons and armor have two kinds of upgrades, blacksmith-level upgrades and personal level upgrades, that use different resources? I understand what they do but it's just like.. Did this open world action rpg NEED that level of system density? Is anything gained by having (at least) two layers of gear upgrades, or hundreds of tiny skill nodes?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

I just did the Ashtray Maze in Control. The song sucks out loud, just miserable and detracting from the setpiece, and theres a way way better uptempo song in the game that 100% should have been used there instead. Waste.

yeah i wasnt a fan either though i did appreciate it slightly more when i realized it's the same fictional band that appears in Alan Wake

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got Days Gone recently and I dunno if I like it or not. It can be fun but the controls are kinda clunky and the aiming feels really off. Also all the button prompts are near invisible and I have to hold square several times and watch Deacon slowly meander around until he's in the right place to interact. Another weird thing is Deacons voice acting is terrible, probably the worst Ive heard since the early 2000s. He talks like he's full blown insane with weird mixture between yelling and whispering almost inexplicably. He also yells about things that seem inconsequential.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Noah Gervais described Days Gone as "being stuck in a linear tube with a Netflix Original Series", which is as damning as criticism can get.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tender Bender posted:

Assassins Creed Valhalla: I'm like 8 hours into this game and it's still introducing new systems with tutorials for me. I thought I'd be starting the game proper after the 6 hour prologue tutorial and title card, but now it's introducing the basebuilding/raiding/assassin/bureau/alliance stuff, which all are interesting and seem like the real meat of the game. But at this point I'm just already really tired of having another Thing to Track added to my agenda every time I take ten steps.

It does seem like most of this stuff just happens naturally, "go to icons on the map and the rest falls into place", but it just really could have been smoothed over with more care in the development process. Why are there so many menus and resources? It works, but it's really unwieldy and makes everything feel unrewarding because of how diluted the value of any single resource or event is. For example, why do weapons and armor have two kinds of upgrades, blacksmith-level upgrades and personal level upgrades, that use different resources? I understand what they do but it's just like.. Did this open world action rpg NEED that level of system density? Is anything gained by having (at least) two layers of gear upgrades, or hundreds of tiny skill nodes?

It's trying to give the player a constant drip of Number Go Up gratification but I think it's also just padding to extend playtime masquerading as player choice and customization. Like just imagine how differently a fight would go if instead of a dagger with +2 to rear end-stabbing you used a stiletto with +3 to groin-shanking.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I tried getting into No Man's Sky recently because it was on sale and I've heard it's a lot better than it used to be, but that goddamned computer assistant voice that you can't turn off just ruined any enjoyment I may have gotten out of the game. It's like the developer tried to blindly mimic the whole GLaDOS/Portal aesthetic, but also set out made it more grating and dissonant for whatever reason.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

It's trying to give the player a constant drip of Number Go Up gratification but I think it's also just padding to extend playtime masquerading as player choice and customization. Like just imagine how differently a fight would go if instead of a dagger with +2 to rear end-stabbing you used a stiletto with +3 to groin-shanking.

Yeah, I can see how each individual part came to be but it feels like such a consequence of feature bloat and no one stepping back to look at the big picture. Like, there's already a lot of cool stuff to find in the world; little mini games, special abilities, new weapon types that change your movesets, etc. Flooding the zone with a million tiny resources each with their own set of funnels just makes everything less fun. The game would be so much better if they eased up and let the game breathe.

Tender Bender has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Dec 14, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quoting Cyberpunk posts from the little things thread cause I don't want to spoil their fun

TontoCorazon posted:

One of the missions in Cyberpunk is to find a bunch of AI taxis that have separated from the main taxi depot and they're basically the AI cores in Portal 2, GLaDOS being one of them with direct references to Portal
perfectly willing to entertain the thought that I may be jumping to conclusions from two singled out examples but Jesus W. Gibson I hope there's more to this game than lol references to that thing from an game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

quoting Cyberpunk posts from the little things thread cause I don't want to spoil their fun

perfectly willing to entertain the thought that I may be jumping to conclusions from two singled out examples but Jesus W. Gibson I hope there's more to this game than lol references to that thing from an game

There's also the gun called Skippy which is basically a gun that has Microsoft Clippy installed on it. It lets you get bonuses to shooting dudes in the dick

E: I know this sounds good on paper but it is a grating voice and a pointless reference, just put in a robocop gun that gives the bonus and move on

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah you're jumping to conclusions and I don't really get why from those two posts?

It's a pretty big game with solid gameplay judging from the couple of hours I've played so far. It's not like Ready Player One where it's just a long series of references strung together crappily.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Noah Gervais described Days Gone as "being stuck in a linear tube with a Netflix Original Series", which is as damning as criticism can get.

He certainly has a way with words :allears:

Never seen a reviewer who was so obviously the smartest guy in the room but would never in a million years acknowledge it.

As for content: Skyrim VR is a lazy as hell VR port, the most glaring issue being that you can completely break melee and ranged combat because you can swing/shoot arrows arbitrarily fast, and unlike 2D skyrim you can block and attack simultaneously. Ranged is offset a bit by being naturally much harder to aim at distant targets, but this is slapdash in most aspects. Mods to the rescue yet again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's a game all about references to Portal in the same way that New Vegas was all about references to Zybourne Clock

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just finished off Titanfall 2

Few things

The opening cinematic and tutorial seem to promise a sense of fluid motion and killing ability that the game never quite delivers on. I was expecting something between high mobility tribes skiing and bulletstorm gunplay.

The levels just seem to alternate between (admittedly fun) first person platforming , (competent) COD style shooting , and ( some of the best in a long time) mech combat.

All the elements are there but never quite coalesce into what it seems to promising. The momentum just seems to be lost the moment you touch the ground, the sprinting feels super slow, I was checking all throughout the campaign if I actually was sprinting or if the auto sprint was wigged out and the slide jump (which is seems to be how you maintain momentum on horizontal surfaces) just flat out doesn't work.

But I have this feeling that the level geometry wouldn't support the movement system as much as the game wants you to believe

What I want, and that the game implies will be possible,

is to wall run through a level , jump off , headshot some dudes , land on my titan, Minigun a massive bot and eject and slide jump back into a wall run, throw grenades.....etc etc etc all as this fluid motion

Which , ok fair enough maybe the skill ceiling is just a bit beyond me, but it's a COD style shooter with a 4 hour campaign and I had a few middling moments of fun, not the high octane , start to finish ride that was spruiked at me

But everything is just too fast and and imprecise. Obviously you have to balance things , and you can't expect MLG headshots at a million miles an hour , but this game was hyped up a whole bunch.

It just seems like less than the sum of its parts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The titanfall multiplayer is exactly that and you will constantly get fragged by people running around on walls super stylishly and fluidly.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I tried that, and admittedly the grappling hook helps a lot with the mobility issue, but the slide jump still doesn't function how I feel it should intuitively function. And I can't work it out

I'm at the point of chalking it up to a bug tbh

The multiplayer from what little I've played has some mobility improvements , and an arena allows for more considered map design.

But it's just past a case of too little too late

These little stumbling blocks of transition between areas of mech-ing, jumping and shooting kept interrupting my sense of flow and just had me incredibly frustrated by the end.

And the worst part is that small sections of the game do manage this so it's always tantalisingly in reach

But then the game was over before I felt it had even started

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Mostly the trick to keeping momentum going is constant wall running and using the slide button midair before you touch the ground to keep your momentum going, and then bhopping from that slide to keep moving fast. Air has no resistance in Titanfall and wallruns speed you up a lot but in the end the campaign levels are not quite made for that kind of stuff.

Now if you really want to go fast in multiplayer, if you add what i mentioned above to a stim you can cross maps in a matter of moments and really skilled players can keep the speed going from it for quite a while.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Zoig posted:

Mostly the trick to keeping momentum going is constant wall running and using the slide button midair before you touch the ground to keep your momentum going, and then bhopping from that slide to keep moving fast. Air has no resistance in Titanfall and wallruns speed you up a lot but in the end the campaign levels are not quite made for that kind of stuff.

Now if you really want to go fast in multiplayer, if you add what i mentioned above to a stim you can cross maps in a matter of moments and really skilled players can keep the speed going from it for quite a while.

Yeah that's why I'm thinking it's a bug, I've tried hitting the slide button at all points in the jump (at touchdown, before touchdown, midair, etc) and it just seems to slow down and not have the momentum skid I'm looking for. Ergo bug?

That's sorta what I'm getting at with the campaign levels though, the movement system is not in harmony with the game that it is in.

I'm willing to forgive the movement system, and I still had fun in the campaign with the movement and inventive concepts.

Like it's short and sweet-ish but constantly trips over itself ,I genuinely don't get the hype

I'd be interested in a thirds Titanfall , because I think this is the closest a high movement shooter campaign to really pulling it off. But as it stands I'm just not impressed. Which is a shame

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I swear to loving Christ with motherfucking hardware and software updates every two to four weeks when I have the audacity to fire up my 5 year old console to play a 4 year old game that I would THINK would be fully updated by now. loving hate HATE this poo poo and that extends to my phone, my laptop, my Adobe software and every other god damned thing I try to do. Just leave it alone. It works FINE. I'll tell YOU when I need an update that will eventually brick my console or PC.

Sooner rather than later my motherfucking shoes will be connected to the internet and I will need to log in to tie my god damned digital smart laser shoe laces and remember my 150th password. None of this makes anything easier or more fun, let alone playing a stupid video game.

Yes I am getting old why do you ask?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's part of the reason people look back so fondly on the PS2. Apart from the vast library of good games that are still fun today, it was the last time a console let you just put a game in and play it without loving around with patches, system updates and all that poo poo.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

BiggerBoat posted:

Sooner rather than later my motherfucking shoes will be connected to the internet and I will need to log in to tie my god damned digital smart laser shoe laces and remember my 150th password.

Those already exist. Except for the laser part.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sunswipe posted:

That's part of the reason people look back so fondly on the PS2. Apart from the vast library of good games that are still fun today, it was the last time a console let you just put a game in and play it without loving around with patches, system updates and all that poo poo.

There was the Wii afterwards. That didn't have patches or much in the way of system updates, the only thing it really put in to slow you down was a menu screen before the game itself.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear to loving Christ with motherfucking hardware and software updates every two to four weeks when I have the audacity to fire up my 5 year old console to play a 4 year old game that I would THINK would be fully updated by now.

Honest question, can you remove your device from the internet? I’ve found they perform pretty consistently if I update stuff to a good place then remove it from WiFi/Ethernet though I also tend to still use physical copies of games when possible.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

BiggerBoat posted:

If agreeing with you makes me old, I'm loving ancient.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BiggerBoat posted:

I swear to loving Christ with motherfucking hardware and software updates every two to four weeks when I have the audacity to fire up my 5 year old console to play a 4 year old game that I would THINK would be fully updated by now. loving hate HATE this poo poo and that extends to my phone, my laptop, my Adobe software and every other god damned thing I try to do. Just leave it alone. It works FINE. I'll tell YOU when I need an update that will eventually brick my console or PC.

Sooner rather than later my motherfucking shoes will be connected to the internet and I will need to log in to tie my god damned digital smart laser shoe laces and remember my 150th password. None of this makes anything easier or more fun, let alone playing a stupid video game.

I've noticed that I've definitely started becoming more of a luddite in the past few years. I'm only 30 so I don't really think it's THAT much of an age thing but as much as I love shiny new tech and gadgets it's really become apparent how much of a double-edged sword it is to have everything connected to the internet all the time even from just a cyber-security perspective.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One of the last remaining negatives in Ghost of Tsushima is that there's no way to replay duels. In a combat system that feels so good, doing well at a tricky duel makes you feel the most like King Badass of anything you can do in the game, but there are relatively few of them and there's no way to replay them without annoying savefile abuse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/MetallicGears96/status/1339562788692369410

I find it funny, but it's very obviously not a good thing that this can happen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How goddamn stupid would you have to be to create a futuristic game that is entirely centered around wholesale modification of your body and abilities, and not allow you to change your character's appearance after the opening creation menu? Just hypothetically, I'm not pointing fingers at any particular recent major releases.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe all the crunch, hype, controversy, and high performance requirements were just to make an inferior version of Saints Row IV.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can't believe all the crunch, hype, controversy, and high performance requirements were just to make an inferior version of Saints Row IV.

Somebody else finally said it, thank you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I started playing Fallout New Vegas again recently and I realize now just how long it's been since i've played a game based in the gamebryo engine and the controller button mapping is just baffling to me. Why is Y jump by default? Why are there so many menus and tiny little sub menus for everything? I know usually it's the PC crowd that complain about that kind of thing because you don't have as many keys on a regular controller but coming back to this thing after so many games are so uniform with their control schemes now and it's like....wow!

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
It would seem that Darkest Dungeon's "difficulty" stems from just not giving the player the information they need. For a particular fight, the enemy can create more enemies and I apparently needed a damage dealer that can hit any position at any time. How was I supposed to know that? I wasn't. I can heal health and stress so essentially this fight will never end. I have to retreat not just from the fight, but from the whole quest, which royally fucks up the entire game for me.

A better idea would be some sort of warning, or at least an explanation that this kind fight is even possible. Or, maybe, just don't gently caress the player over for not knowing things that were never explained in the first place.

I dig the presentation of this game. The music and art are top notch. The concept is pretty good too. But man, this gameplay is kinda garbage.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

Honest question, can you remove your device from the internet? I’ve found they perform pretty consistently if I update stuff to a good place then remove it from WiFi/Ethernet though I also tend to still use physical copies of games when possible.

I did this while I was living in China. Updates were so ungodly slow that I'd maybe update once a month, when I'd download a new game. Then just unplug and play.

Sadly, developers that don't understand UI design looooooove to put in dialog alerts being like ⚠️We couldn't connect to the server to upload your last score! Oh, mercy me! ⚠️ every two loving seconds.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

oh dope posted:

For a particular fight, the enemy can create more enemies *snip* I can heal health and stress so essentially this fight will never end.

Very few enemies can actually summon other enemies, but the second part of the quote makes me think you have run into a core gameplay mechanic. To prevent the player from leaving one weak enemy alive so they can heal and destress their entire party before finishing the combat, the game starts summoning reinforcements after a certain number of rounds.

Also, and this may or may not be of any help, but running into these things is exactly how the game tells you these things exist. It's the same reason that the interactables don't tell you the correct way to handle them. You have to discover the right solutions through failure. If you can't win this fight, and you need to leave the quest, then do so. Now you know for the next mission. The game does not have a fail state on the macro level, so there's nothing wrong with failing on the micro level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Shame Boy posted:

I started playing Fallout New Vegas again recently and I realize now just how long it's been since i've played a game based in the gamebryo engine and the controller button mapping is just baffling to me. Why is Y jump by default? Why are there so many menus and tiny little sub menus for everything? I know usually it's the PC crowd that complain about that kind of thing because you don't have as many keys on a regular controller but coming back to this thing after so many games are so uniform with their control schemes now and it's like....wow!

Controller layouts weren’t super standardized til like 2012ish, but jump being on y is just baffling. It’s been on A for most games for decades, it’s probably the first example of controls being standard from game to game and genre to genre.