Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I want to romance Lernie

e: looking back at my other posts on this topic I am worried I am whatever the skeleton version of a furry is

We call them "bonies" and frankly we find them rather unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I took back the ambrosia because Dusa says that Zag giving her so drat much of it made her uncomfortable and imo forcing a gift on someone who doesn't want it is rude. She was right, I was in fact doing it to unlock stuff and not out of a desire to actually be friends with Dusa and it was cool that the game successfully made me feel guilty about it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 21, 2020

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I took back the ambrosia because Dusa says that Zag giving her so drat much of it made her uncomfortable and imo forcing a gift on someone who doesn't want it is rude. She was right, I was in fact doing it to unlock stuff and not out of a desire to actually be friends with Dusa and it was cool that the game successfully made me feel guilty about it.

great fuckin avatar, lol

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've owned the game for 6 days and finally beat Hades on my 30th run, using the shield. I just sniped at him from afar with the special and cast, and then rammed into him with Poseidon's call to do chunks of 800+ damage.

I played most of my runs with the shield or bow, so I'll definitely try other weapons next.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Wiki is saying that Hermes is unlocked by wearing the maxxed plume and talking to him but I’ve done that numerous times and he hasn’t yet. Anything I’m missing?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hermes was annoying, and possibly bugged for awhile. Took a couple of tries with him, and also maybe not skipping his dialogue? Not exactly sure.

Also the poster above who mentioned not using Poseidon's keepsake until after the first stage is correct and also annoying.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Nybble posted:

Hermes was annoying,

No.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

How do people rank the various room options? I just got a room with the following exits: Erebus portal for a pom, chaos gate, daedalus hammer, and ares/poseidon trial. Made me realize I don't have a method of valuing these beyond instinct and what I think I need at the moment

edit: i took the hammer and immediately regretted not going 2x boon

thalweg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 21, 2020

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Probably 2x boon > hammer > chaos gate > regular boon > other stuff

The chaos gate depends on where you're at in a run and how close you are to the level boss but it's usually a good choice. The hammer will show up again so I'd take the double boon before it. The erebus is probably low priority as it's high risk, ok reward. Depends on your confidence/level/heat options.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1341096366848798721?s=20

Not that game award shows/lists truly determine a game's worth, but it's nice to see greatness acknowledged in context. TLOU2 is a great game (imo) but it's also a multi million dollar thousand developer multi studio game. The Hades team is like 30 people. That changes so much contextually about the game's achievements in creativity, writing quality, tone, atmosphere and just general completeness that it's tough to even compare them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

thalweg posted:

How do people rank the various room options? I just got a room with the following exits: Erebus portal for a pom, chaos gate, daedalus hammer, and ares/poseidon trial. Made me realize I don't have a method of valuing these beyond instinct and what I think I need at the moment

edit: i took the hammer and immediately regretted not going 2x boon

Easiest way for me is to just let Charon do it. The prices he charges for differing rewards are pretty much in line with their relative values imho

Two boons would cost 300 to buy, so obviously that's worth more than one hammer, which only costs 200

And between a pom or 100 obol, go for the money. They're worth the same, but liquid cash is more useful

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CJacobs posted:

Look I blame Aphrodite, if I wanted to unlock her heart I had to go talk to Dusa.

Meanwhile, Hypnos still really doesn't want me to unlock him huh.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I always prioritize hammers because some of them have massive effects on your build, and they are much more random since you only see them twice and can't reroll.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So are you SOL entirely against Extreme Measures Asterius charges if you don't have a slowing effect? He's fast enough that you can't dodge through or around it until he tires, and he's smart enough to go around obstacles. He hits me with it 100% of the time and it's the primary reason I don't play forced overtime.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So are you SOL entirely against Extreme Measures Asterius charges if you don't have a slowing effect? He's fast enough that you can't dodge through or around it until he tires, and he's smart enough to go around obstacles. He hits me with it 100% of the time and it's the primary reason I don't play forced overtime.

Pretty sure you can dodge directly through the pillars in the arena, and dodging through them (rather than around them) will cause him to smash into them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Run him into Theseus if you're in the real boss fight, it does a little damage to both of em.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Found a strange interaction

I had hyper sprint (the Hermes boon that gives you speed boost + sturdy after dashing) and I was trying to dash + special with my sword to clear out the Styx rooms with the small rats. But they kept biting me and interrupting the special, which shouldn't happen with sturdiness... But I also had the broken spearpoint equipped, so I'm thinking maybe the impervious status cancels the sturdy status, and so the action interruption goes through after that? I don't know, it doesn't make sense, and seems like a kind of obscure mechanic, but I was wondering if anyone else had discovered this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

You gotta Loony Tunes him. Stand near a wall, and dodge through him once as he closes on you. He crashes into the wall and you get to beat on him for a while.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nybble posted:

Hermes was annoying, and possibly bugged for awhile. Took a couple of tries with him, and also maybe not skipping his dialogue? Not exactly sure.

Also the poster above who mentioned not using Poseidon's keepsake until after the first stage is correct and also annoying.
Bad News is the only thing I haven’t unlocked from the prof’s

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Run him into Theseus if you're in the real boss fight, it does a little damage to both of em.

gently caress I never tried that, that's brilliant

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Had a pretty legendary Guan Yu run today, where I got Charged Skewer, epic Athena and THREE (3) Chaos boons on the special, resulting in me doing like 750+ damage per spear chuck.

Then I got hazard bombs, Poseidon, and Chaos on the rail, which had me doing that much damage per bomb on the first floor. By the end, I was doing over a thousand. They weren't the biggest damage numbers I've ever seen, but they were definitely the biggest consistent numbers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It took me over 90 runs to even get Guan Yu to the end, and I didn't even beat that run. It is one of my least favourite aspects really.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Arthur seems pretty bonkers. I just did one where I had crits on attack, dash attack hits twice, and like +450% backstab damage all included.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it’s crazy but not even top 3 imo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

well why not posted:

it’s crazy but not even top 3 imo
Chiron bow and the "big group of shields" one both feel stronger but less fun I think.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Won again on run 33, this time with the fists, and I ended the Hades battle with literally 1 health and no death defiances left

I should probably beat Hades with every weapon before adding Pacts, right?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Chiron bow and the "big group of shields" one both feel stronger but less fun I think.

Chiron Bow, Demeter Fists and the hidden rail aspect are 3 I’d say are more potent. Maybe Zeus shied too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

curried lamb of God posted:

Won again on run 33, this time with the fists, and I ended the Hades battle with literally 1 health and no death defiances left

Meh. I took a while to beat the game with fists because I hate them, got up to heat 5 or something on bow and spear first. It doesn't really matter, do what you want until you decide to do something else.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't even tried Demeter fists yet. I just got real obsessed with Talos and Gilgamesh aspects so I never even considered using my limited blood on it yet

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

curried lamb of God posted:

So you get a base level of rewards with no pacts and then for each pact level, so if you want to go through with each one at the base then you'll get rewards for that, but don't sweat it if you're on like heat 4 with a bow and no heat with a sword or something, you won't miss out. I like to stick with whatever gives me the extra dankness for variety's sake and to mix it up but really whatever you find fun is the way to play. Except if you're some hidden aspect spear lover.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1341096366848798721?s=20

Not that game award shows/lists truly determine a game's worth, but it's nice to see greatness acknowledged in context. TLOU2 is a great game (imo) but it's also a multi million dollar thousand developer multi studio game. The Hades team is like 30 people. That changes so much contextually about the game's achievements in creativity, writing quality, tone, atmosphere and just general completeness that it's tough to even compare them.

Awesome! It also placed quite high on other lists from what I've seen.

I generally prefer it when games are recognized for just being really well made rather than just "look how much money we had". Like a bunch of lists had Ghost of Tsushima, and I have played and liked Ghost of Tsushima, but what stood out to me was how they managed to make a PS4 game look so good more than how it played or the story

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know it's against the aspect of the game but I really do wish that you damage didn't dramatically fall off in the later half. I got the Zeus shield unlocked and it has a special throw that I *love* in these types of games. I put doom on it and tried to buff it as much as possible but in the end I felt like I was doing scratch damage and just barely eeked out a win after a long and boring fight that took a lot of my death defies.

Kind of the same with Lucifer as I randomly was allowed to unlock it. I wound up just standing in lava to kill myself because I'd rather die then struggle with that abysmal piss damage a entire run. Just truly awful

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Well it was a tough run, but with:

-maxed Excalibur
-Zeus legendary
-Aphrodite legendary
-Athena legendary
-Aphrodite lvl 7 attack bonus
-Jolt + zeus cast + hermes quicker reload cast + 4 extra bounces zeus boon
-Extra dash from Hermes
-Aphrodite/Athena duo
-Athena dash + bonus backstab exposure
-280 HP

I made it :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I know it's against the aspect of the game but I really do wish that you damage didn't dramatically fall off in the later half. I got the Zeus shield unlocked and it has a special throw that I *love* in these types of games. I put doom on it and tried to buff it as much as possible but in the end I felt like I was doing scratch damage and just barely eeked out a win after a long and boring fight that took a lot of my death defies.

Kind of the same with Lucifer as I randomly was allowed to unlock it. I wound up just standing in lava to kill myself because I'd rather die then struggle with that abysmal piss damage a entire run. Just truly awful

I think Doom doesn't work really well with the Zeus shield unless you get its duo boon with Aphrodite so you can keep chaining it. It works better with boons like Demeter, Zeus, Dionysus or Athena.

Lucifer really wants hammers to be good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lucifer really wants procs to be good, but hammers help.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Basically the rule of thumb for multi hit weapons like the Zeus shield special or the Lucifer special or the bow specials is that they're better with boons whose effects stack or don't mind triggering multiple times in a row. That is: Dionysus, Demeter, Zeus, and Artemis. Attacks that single hit prefer ones like Ares, Aphrodite and Poseidon. Artemis and Zeus are fine on single hit, but not as effective Athena technically applies too, but her status effect is on deflection so it's unrelated.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ares is great with multihits if you get the right upgrades, so I always go for it regardless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I treat the Zeus shield special like a multitasking tool. It's really great for stacking Boons you don't want to have to babysit or upkeep, like debuffs or damage bonuses that trigger on special. Throw it out at a group of enemies to stop their advance or strip their armor before they reach you, toss it at a clump of lower HP dudes and let it do its thing while you rush at a different group, et cetera.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Wait, people aren't just setting it to recall and running circuits around the map with it in tow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Just cleared an incredibly satisfying run with Chrion bow, Zeus special, the +arrows hammer and the Artemis boon that makes you shoot more arrows. Incredibly satisfying to hit dad with 30 projectiles every time I press "y", and let me chunk him down so fast and so safely that I only got tagged twice in the whole bout! Nice to hear "Achilles might have trained you too well!" as opposed to the usual "Ugh, almost had you!"

The one thing I just cannot for the life of me figure out is the satyr miniboss in Styx. How the hell are you supposed to deal with his poison arrows? It feels way too long to dodge or reflect, and he does it often enough that getting out of sight in time doesn't seem doable. I saw folks saying they feared the tiny vermin, this guy is wayyyy worse for me.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 22, 2020