Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Did a Christmas shop earlier today (Sheffield), it’s all fine. Probably less busy than a normal year even because of the crowd management outside the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Things could be much worse:
https://twitter.com/GravelInstitute/status/1341162257661751299

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Even the Americans get stimulus, we get told we have to spend any money we may have saved.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the illegal streaming is if you're the one doing the stream broadcast rather than watching one but still lol at the rest

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In a lot of the torrent type stream clients everyone's technically doing a bit of the broadcast as well as watching, so I'm sure America's notoriously fair legal system will be accounting for that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

josh04 posted:

Even the Americans get stimulus, we get told we have to spend any money we may have saved.

Ahem eat out to help out mate

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

CGI Stardust posted:

game itself is very good imo, certainly worth trying for free to see if you click with it

There was a brilliant meltdown about brigador in games because one if the devs was involved in an alt-right discord and a load of ycs offsiters kramered in to defend the guy's harmless racism

E: might have been transphobia? And/or

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

please go into more details about the gentle ribbing

Oooo you’re Angela smith aren’t you? Not going very well this cuck thing is it?

Well er I think you’ll find waffle waffle waffle

Yeah but no ones actually going to vote for you are they?

Well as you can see our Brexit board is quite full and many people have spoke to us waffle waffle

Doesn’t mean they’ll throw their vote away on a less orange version of the Lib Dem’s though does it? What even are your policies?

We went on like this for some time until she laughed at the idea of me supporting Corbyn and called him a racist repeatedly. It was honestly such fun and I really think MPs should stand in town squares to be mocked and derided as a regular fixture.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

TACD posted:

Did a Christmas shop earlier today (Sheffield), it’s all fine. Probably less busy than a normal year even because of the crowd management outside the store.

Hello fellow Sheffield buddy! What bit? The ASDA in Handsworth was heaving at 7am with a full car park today.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Convex posted:

I've started (posting about PC game giveaways), so I'll finish: Brigador is free on GOG today. I don't know much about the game but the soundtrack is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzIuxldPhE

(you get the soundtrack as an extra with the game)

Today's giveaway on Epic Games is Metro: 2033 Redux

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Waitrose trip report:

No queue outside, quite busy but not as busy it has been on Saturdays throughout.

Shelves well stocked - except I noticed their shelves of 'pillowcases' actually had 1 towel each on them and no pillowcases.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Well as you can see our Brexit board is quite full and many people have spoke to us waffle waffle

Doesn’t mean they’ll throw their vote away on a less orange version of the Lib Dem’s though does it? What even are your policies?

We went on like this for some time until she laughed at the idea of me supporting Corbyn and called him a racist repeatedly. It was honestly such fun and I really think MPs should stand in town squares to be mocked and derided as a regular fixture.

How can they say this when they know it's bollox. :smdh:
I wish suing for libel weren't such a financially ruinous undertaking in this beknighted* land.
*Intentional. See Starmer, op.cit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Turns out "liberals will just call someone racist when they've got no argument" was true all along, but only for the left.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GibraltarGov/status/1341343204583587841

lol this is some new level of failure, they Tories have hosed up so bad that *Gibraltar" has banned flights from the UK.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol this is some new level of failure, they Tories have hosed up so bad that *Gibraltar" has banned flights from the UK.

Now would be a perfect time for Spain to invade

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I always take a sad bit of relief that no matter how bad it gets here, America always proves it could be worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then a newly emboldened Morocco could take back Ceuta and Melilla.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Then a newly emboldened Morocco could take back Ceuta and Melilla.

It's a very Merry Christmas for fans of pretty borders everywhere.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/government-buy-british-policy-covid-contracts-matt-hancock

The Guardian posted:

The government was operating an illegal “buy British” policy when it signed contracts with a small UK firm to supply Covid antibody tests, claim lawyers who have filed a case against the health secretary.

The Good Law Project said there were a number of other companies in a better position to supply antibody tests in June and August, when the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) agreed deals worth up to £80m with Abingdon Health without going out to tender.

The government had also agreed a deal to share in the profits the company made, the lawyers say.

[...]

The Good Law Project alleges the decisions to award the contracts to the British company were illegally influenced by nationalism. The government also stood to profit from the deal, thanks to a financial arrangement giving it a share in the profits of the antibody test if it was sold commercially, according to the claim.

The government cited the pandemic as the reason why it needed to issue a contract for an antibody test without tender.

“There’s a perfectly sensible debate to be had about whether or not government should be trying to pick winners – whether government should be wanting to buy British. There are plainly pros and cons. But we should be having that debate in public,” said Jolyon Maugham, the founder of the Good Law Project.

He says the government has changed its tune as to the reasons why it is buying the antibody test.

The government has refused to give an undertaking not to award any further public contracts to Abingdon Health pending the outcome of the case and will not explain its reasons, say the lawyers.

Abingdon Health said it had no comment.

The DHSC said it could not comment on ongoing legal proceedings.

I am just beyond being surprised by any of this :ughh:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/GibraltarGov/status/1341343204583587841

How the gently caress is Boris' father going to go on Holiday now?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1341372906119553024

lol Joris Bonson was lying.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Isn't she the one that described a group of people has having a 'funny tinge'?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

josh04 posted:

America didn't have furlough, friend of mine said that the American arm of his work basically just laid everyone off whereas the UK/EU part was furloughed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

8 months into a pandemic and the responses a still "the threat is exaggerated it's no big deal"

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

bessantj posted:

Isn't she the one that described a group of people has having a 'funny tinge'?

Ohhhh yes. That reminds me how I actually greeted her: ‘you’re in cuktig, or cuktinge or whatever it’s called these days aren’t you?’ It was a couple of days after that whole thing broke. It really pressed home to me how awful it must be being a by the books politician. There I was standing there mocking her and obviously having no intention of being swayed by her and she just had to... stand there and be polite. Unbelievably humiliating.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MonkeyLibFront posted:

America didn't have furlough, friend of mine said that the American arm of his work basically just laid everyone off whereas the UK/EU part was furloughed.

As absolutely awful as the UK pandemic response has been there was at least (lovely, too short, too many exemptions) lockdown and (lovely, too short, too many exemptions) furlough. I believe "it was just about possible that we could have handled it worse therefore we handled it great" is the current tory party line.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

gonadic io posted:

As absolutely awful as the UK pandemic response has been there was at least (lovely, too short, too many exemptions) lockdown and (lovely, too short, too many exemptions) furlough. I believe "it was just about possible that we could have handled it worse therefore we handled it great" is the current tory party line.

It's like claiming you followed the recipe for a meal when you end up with something inedible and then blaming the recipe that other people have demonstrably managed to follow just fine.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Tesco in Coventry was just a normal pre-Christmas level of busy

no empty shelves either, there were even still some frozen turkeys left

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

It's like claiming you followed the recipe for a meal when you end up with something inedible and then blaming the recipe that other people have demonstrably managed to follow just fine.
How did you find out my plan for Christmas dinner?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

Makes sure you stick some tin foil and candles on them to annoy Guavanaut.

But then the chocolate would melt.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

1980s, but yes. Zenith is basically superhero Robbie Williams and a complete twat, the villain of book 2 is Richard Branson, and book 3 contains practically every classic British hero from the Fleetway/IPC era. The books get increasingly weirder and weaker though, so stop when you've had enough.
I started buying 2000ad just as Zenith was finishing, so only caught the last two parts. 2nd last part was very sad and everyone seemed to be resigned to the end of the world, and the last part was... Well that was certainly something.

Bix Barton, now there's a character who needs to make a return.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jakabite posted:

Ohhhh yes. That reminds me how I actually greeted her: ‘you’re in cuktig, or cuktinge or whatever it’s called these days aren’t you?’ It was a couple of days after that whole thing broke. It really pressed home to me how awful it must be being a by the books politician. There I was standing there mocking her and obviously having no intention of being swayed by her and she just had to... stand there and be polite. Unbelievably humiliating.

I think this is why a lot of people still consider two-jabs to be a human underneath it all

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

kingturnip posted:

tried to substitute the 2lbs scientific advice with 5kg kickbacks to tory pals, my pandemic turned out wild and uncontrollable. 1/5

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Hello fellow Sheffield buddy! What bit? The ASDA in Handsworth was heaving at 7am with a full car park today.
The big Waitrose at the end of Eccy road around 2PM. It was fairly busy and the car park was pretty full but I've definitely seen it busier.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

This is a good thing? The state needs to establish that it can pick winners rather than pretend that cheaper is always better or that there's neutrality in tendering and then we argue that they should always prioritise environmentally sustainable, better employee paying companies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1341439363717226496?s=20

Replies are basically 'get stuffed'.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lmao the number of replies saying basically "I grafted hard for Labour in 2017 and 2019 and the Labour right sabotaged us, why on earth would I graft for them?"

good job to the Labour right :bravo:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Unity man, we stabbed your leader in the back, not ours.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, Boris just made Peter Cruddas - a Tory donor and ex-Treasurer accused of cash-for-access - a peer, despite the Lords Appointment Commission saying it was a bad idea. Oh, and of course he was a fan of Brexit.

Just saw that Keith recommended the person who chaired his own loving Leadership campaign. It's nice that the graft happens on both sides of the aisle, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dead Goon posted:

Unity man, we stabbed your leader in the back, not ours.
remember when they were insisting Labour was a broad church