Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Man I really love when people who agree with each other 99.99999% of the time decide to go scorched earth on each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

Man I really love when people who agree with each other 99.99999% of the time decide to go scorched earth on each other

Right? Absolutely zero margin for error, all day every day. poo poo is exhausting

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm certainly not going to stop reading Burneko, much less Defector as a whole. But even really good folks say/do dumb poo poo.

For the example of me doing/saying dumb poo poo, see the entirety of my posting corpus in TRP.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Yeah this was a very Bad Take but even the best are prone to it. He is otherwise a great writer and I really hope people don't go after him too much for what he posted. That being said I hope he walks it back and apologizes, sure video game journalism is a bit of a mess rn with the amount of power publishers have over what reviewers see, but it's not the writers fault.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The other thing the article's being criticised for is quoting someone who got booted from Kotaku for abusing co-workers and publishing details of sexual abuse victims' experiences after promising not to and immediately fell up to a job at Wired.
https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1333918476948303872

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
Its one thing to write a poorly researched opinion piece, but you better not quote some big time journalist without looking to see if some nobody has written a blog post about her first

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

Its one thing to write a poorly researched opinion piece, but you better not quote some big time journalist without looking to see if some nobody has written a blog post about her first

its about ethics in game journalism journalism

anyways i googled cecilia danastasio just as like a case study and zero results of her being abusive pop up until the third page; ideally that would get caught by fact checkers and researchers for defector. its a bad look for them but its not like it was a huge widely known story, and i think people are mostly making GBS threads on burneko for his dumb tweet but also for having the gall to reproach games journalism from the outside

e: for the record i dont like burneko or his writing very much, i just feel like this sort of thing gets amplified tenfold when its about the internets sacred third rail of Gaming

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah Im pretty sure its the game gate reference, no one gives a gently caress if you make fun of ign or whatever

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

Yeah this was a very Bad Take but even the best are prone to it. He is otherwise a great writer and I really hope people don't go after him too much for what he posted. That being said I hope he walks it back and apologizes, sure video game journalism is a bit of a mess rn with the amount of power publishers have over what reviewers see, but it's not the writers fault.

I mean big picture it seems pretty weird that no one who writes about video games for a living ever broke the story that an incredibly popular game that was under development for close a decade was pretty much unplayable for a majority of the people who were going to buy it. Did no one talk to like their contacts at the developer off the record or something?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Adun posted:

I mean big picture it seems pretty weird that no one who writes about video games for a living ever broke the story that an incredibly popular game that was under development for close a decade was pretty much unplayable for a majority of the people who were going to buy it. Did no one talk to like their contacts at the developer off the record or something?

Cyberpunk's disaster of a production was heavily reported, but even setting that aside many modern-day games are in horrible shape until the day they come out

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah I’m pretty sure it’s the game gate reference, no one gives a gently caress if you make fun of ign or whatever

From the outside looking in that tweet was really annoying.

In personal amusing things about this that no one other than people who used to post in deadspin comments remember I've been trying to figure out what NBA player it was Burneko defended in some post and got relentlessly dunked on and kept banning people who brought it up. Or maybe NBA player he attacked who was actually good. I just know it came up for months.

Like he just wrote a bad take and absolutely could not let it go.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 22, 2020

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Adun posted:

I don't read IGN but every review I read was upfront about the fact that they were playing on PC, and that there were bugs. That doesn't mean those reviewers or outlets are immune from criticism but it's not like every outlet that gave the game a positive review hid the bugs. Also I could be wrong about this but I can't remember ever seeing a game in which bugs are so directly tied to hardware performance – you might ordinarily expect a game to be poorly optimized, but the outright bugginess of the game on all older hardware, including PCs, seems very odd to me, to the point where I can understand why reviewers might not think to add "the console versions might be absolutely unplayable!" to the "we only played this on PC" that most do seem to have included.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

morestuff posted:

Cyberpunk's disaster of a production was heavily reported, but even setting that aside many modern-day games are in horrible shape until the day they come out

Yeah if you followed the development you knew it was going to be a disaster. The reports of unofficial crunch time, official crunchtime, the delays even after going gold and reports that a day one patch was neccessary.

Gamers pretty much deluded themselves for this. Hell they still are

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I don't read IGN but every review I read was upfront about the fact that they were playing on PC, and that there were bugs. That doesn't mean those reviewers or outlets are immune from criticism but it's not like every outlet that gave the game a positive review hid the bugs. Also I could be wrong about this but I can't remember ever seeing a game in which bugs are so directly tied to hardware performance – you might ordinarily expect a game to be poorly optimized, but the outright bugginess of the game on all older hardware, including PCs, seems very odd to me, to the point where I can understand why reviewers might not think to add "the console versions might be absolutely unplayable!" to the "we only played this on PC" that most do seem to have included.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm surprised that no one who writes about games for a living did the regular journalism thing and had sources within the developer who told them off the record that "hey our PS4 and Xbox One versions are hosed". I mean after all you get leaks and sources in everything else. I mean considering they said all this shot on an investor call after release it seems like it was widely known within the company?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah Im pretty sure its the game gate reference, no one gives a gently caress if you make fun of ign or whatever
Gamergate is basically the Chernobyl of a not-small portion of discourse on the Internet.

Hard-wired brains will still be trying to argue about it on space colonies in 2793.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah if you followed the development you knew it was going to be a disaster. The reports of unofficial crunch time, official crunchtime, the delays even after going gold and reports that a day one patch was neccessary.

Gamers pretty much deluded themselves for this. Hell they still are
The fact that the launch was even worse than imagined comes down in no small part to the fact that Projekt Red didn't let anybody have review copies of the game for any consoles, so the disastrous (compared to PC) console launches were basically a surprise sprung on the entire non-PC userbase.

It's obvious looking back on it now that they were hiding something in doing that, but reviews I saw only brought it up in the context of "FYI we were only able to review the PC version" so I can't necessarily blame people for thinking that the game wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as it's turned out to be if they weren't playing on PC.

Disclaimer: I have not bought Cyberpunk - I have nowhere remotely close to the free time or money for a AAA game right now because 2020 is bullshit

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Adun posted:

What I'm trying to say is that I'm surprised that no one who writes about games for a living did the regular journalism thing and had sources within the developer who told them off the record that "hey our PS4 and Xbox One versions are hosed". I mean after all you get leaks and sources in everything else. I mean considering they said all this shot on an investor call after release it seems like it was widely known within the company?

Despite the name, there are almost no games journalists who are actual journalists in the sense that they research and break stories. It's mostly reviews/cultural analysis.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Patrick Spens posted:

Despite the name, there are almost no games journalists who are actual journalists in the sense that they research and break stories. It's mostly reviews/cultural analysis.

There are actually a decent amount

Kotaku, Vice, and Schreier at Bloomberg all do a decent amount of actual reporting on video game companies.

Kotaku is literally blackballed from two of the major publishers because of their reporting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Adun posted:

CDPR is in Poland, so access or language barriers might be a problem.

And the reviewer may not be the same person on a staff as the one who has that connection to the developer, and they may not even want to know about that going in.

On Giant Bombs more recent Hot Spot episodes theyve talked about the process of reviews and it seems like somebody (back in the early 2000s) who worked on reviews usually focused on that, while people doing previews had more connections to the developers.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Video games

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I review the sausage, not how it gets made. It could skew my perception of the final product.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Good news!

https://twitter.com/barry/status/1341823988000014338

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
just hand the whole site over to ashley, honestly

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ashley has done these before I think.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
She definitely did the mailbag while Drew was maybe dying, but probably, she was technically working for Deadspin for a few months after Gawker got nuked.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1341824904040165379

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1342171807634305024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That poop story is... wow.

Also, Defector has its freelance policy up. I'm not in the industry, but it seems refreshingly straightforward.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just as Constantinople had shrunk to a shadow of its former glory by the time it was finally conquered by the Ottoman Empire in 1453, the New England Patriots were a mere shell of a once mighty dynasty when they were eliminated from the 2020 N.F.L. playoffs on Sunday.

Constantinoples nigh-impenetrable walls were guarded by a meager militia before the city fell, just as players named Damiere Byrd and Devin Asiasi now occupy positions once manned by Patriots legends like Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski. The Ottoman conquerors were stunned to see fallow fields encroaching upon the Hagia Sophia; the Miami Dolphins were probably also shocked when the Patriots kept running off tackle and meekly settling for field goals in Sundays 22-12 loss. When the end came to the city, the Byzantine capitals most precious treasures and icons had already been looted by Venice, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the late medieval period.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://defector.com/what-did-we-get-stuck-in-our-rectums-last-year/

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Worth the $99

I'm the Small American Flag stuck in the Throat

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just as Constantinople had shrunk to a shadow of its former glory by the time it was finally conquered by the Ottoman Empire in 1453, the New England Patriots were a mere shell of a once mighty dynasty when they were eliminated from the 2020 N.F.L. playoffs on Sunday.

Constantinoples nigh-impenetrable walls were guarded by a meager militia before the city fell, just as players named Damiere Byrd and Devin Asiasi now occupy positions once manned by Patriots legends like Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski. The Ottoman conquerors were stunned to see fallow fields encroaching upon the Hagia Sophia; the Miami Dolphins were probably also shocked when the Patriots kept running off tackle and meekly settling for field goals in Sundays 22-12 loss. When the end came to the city, the Byzantine capitals most precious treasures and icons had already been looted by Venice, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the late medieval period.

I don't know if this is a copy paste you are making fun of but I like it.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hell of a list when 3 bags of meth in a vagina is unsurprising.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The one now-former-Deadspin column I look forward to more than any other every year.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rick posted:

I don't know if this is a copy paste you are making fun of but I like it.

It is from the Nytimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/sports/football/patriots-belichick.html?searchResultPosition=1

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was listening to the last episode of the Distraction podcast, and Drew Magary just blurts out that he was in treatment for some mental issues and Roth was just like '....well, I wasn't going to reveal that, but alright'.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was listening to the last episode of the Distraction podcast, and Drew Magary just blurts out that he was in treatment for some mental issues and Roth was just like '....well, I wasn't going to reveal that, but alright'.

I don't remember that. Magary was in treatment or Roth was?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I thought it was a reference to Drew having lingering side effects from his brain nearly exploding a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was something that Roth didn't expect Magary to just blurt out on the podcast, clearly.

I think we did know that he had some kind of substance issue on top of the brain aneurysm thing