Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

doctorfrog posted:

Cool, free Briga--

welp, this is complicated. Is there a thread where goons debate the ethical consumption of games? I'm a bit curious about supporting large studios. Aside from the more obvious "supporting an evil corporation," the larger the business, the greater the chance that you're indirectly supporting all kinds of jerks.

MeToo thread is where you wanna go to hear that people are lovely and you should feel bad for playing anything made by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

No one was judging you or the other person for downloading the video game. poo poo I grabbed it. No one said it made you a better or worse of a person for grabbing a free game. But if people are having a perfectly reasonable conversation about the developers responsible for a game, yeah you're being a dick if you just run in and post how you don't care and why do people care I don't care so why do they care. It's also very obvious that the people who jump to post stuff like that actually do care quite a bit.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 22, 2020

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Brigador drama turned into such an insane clusterfuck here that the Brigador thread was permanently closed lmao.

it got brigaded by creeps from the same offsite where the dev guy was posting bigoted poo poo iirc

The General
Mar 4, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Cool, free Briga--

welp, this is complicated. Is there a thread where goons debate the ethical consumption of games? I'm a bit curious about supporting large studios. Aside from the more obvious "supporting an evil corporation," the larger the business, the greater the chance that you're indirectly supporting all kinds of jerks.

It's okay, AAA can work people 100 hours a week and lie about how awesome and amazing their game runs. They can also buy a studio and lay off everybody who works there when they have record breaking profits. Still perfectly fine to shell out $60 for their game.

But if the dev of a small indie game happens to be a bigot, well you're just a loving terrible person for even considering that maybe you might want to pick up a free game made by them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Brigador is an excellent game, shame one of the devs was a lovely person. If you care about that here's your chance to get the excellent game without giving money to the bigot.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

First off, if you're replying this way simply to get a rise, you can gently caress right off. For this specific case, other than this discussion in this thread, I don't know or care who this guy is. Since it has been brought to attention, I now know(still mostly a generic video game guy, but whatever) and don't jump to "happily support" them, if I even remember this when when I click on the gimme free game button. More generally though, whats the line for what media creators I need to vet before I can enjoy them properly and responsibly? Hearing a new song on the radio do I need to quick look up who it is and get their loving life story before the song ends or else I'm complicit? How far back is the statute of limitations on media? is there a line to burn my CDs and books that have problematic associations over the years?

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or anti-snowflake or whatever label y'all seem to be applying. Obviously when things like this come up people sometimes pay attention or learn things. If it's priveledge that I don't feel the need to dig deep into every piece of media before it, then I don't even know. This is what I meant by a discussion for another place, not the free game thread

Back to not reading and just looking for links to click on, gently caress it

can u explain why when someone said "hey the guy who made this is a piece of poo poo" you went "i don't care" and when someone said "maybe you should" you immediately went with "well how am I supposed to know he's a piece of poo poo" when your stupid outburst was about how someone told you he was a piece of poo poo with 0 effort on your part.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Metro is the first of the Epic repeats for this year, right? Just trying to keep track. I don't hate repeats, because other people getting games is a net good.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

El Fideo posted:

Metro is the first of the Epic repeats for this year, right? Just trying to keep track. I don't hate repeats, because other people getting games is a net good.

It's the first one I already had, and I've been pretty on top of claiming the free Epic games.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
How do I select throwing knife.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Was Inside the free game yet and I missed it?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

El Fideo posted:

There's been few other, but not many: Overcooked, Into the Breach, Kingdoms: New Lands, Abzu, Enter the Gungeon. Torchlight 2 and Inside will be repeats as well!

But yeah, it's good that they're circling back to some games that people might have missed (Inside especially)!

Google sheet of freebies to date

E: Inside is probably the day after tomorrow, going by the list that's been correct so far:

quote:

The Long Dark
Defense Grid
Alien Isolation
Metro 2033
Tropico 5
Inside
Darkest Dungeon
My Time At Portia
Night in the Woods
Stranded Deep
Solitairica
Torchlight 2
Jurassic World Evolution

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 22, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

No, not yet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Inside should be this Thursday

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The General posted:

It's okay, AAA can work people 100 hours a week and lie about how awesome and amazing their game runs. They can also buy a studio and lay off everybody who works there when they have record breaking profits. Still perfectly fine to shell out $60 for their game.

But if the dev of a small indie game happens to be a bigot, well you're just a loving terrible person for even considering that maybe you might want to pick up a free game made by them.

why exactly do you think the same people who go 'yeah I'm not comfortable playing a game by a professed bigot who spent decades of his life openly hating people like me and is just sad he got called out on it' are jumping at the chance to buy and play every AAA game? when was the last time anyone even brought up buying a full price AAA game in this thread about free games?

personally I sure don't pick up AAA games in general for several reasons, especially not at full price and especially not ones i know have labor issues (which, as you point out, is unfortunately most of them)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

why exactly do you think the same people who go 'yeah I'm not comfortable playing a game by a professed bigot who spent decades of his life openly hating people like me and is just sad he got called out on it' are jumping at the chance to buy and play every AAA game? when was the last time anyone even brought up buying a full price AAA game in this thread about free games?

personally I sure don't pick up AAA games in general for several reasons, especially not at full price and especially not ones i know have labor issues (which, as you point out, is unfortunately most of them)

Well you see you can only care about one thing at a time.

Also "happens to be a bigot" is one hell of a downplaying of someone being a loving nazi.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oopsie woopsie itty bitty indie dev is just a tiny winy nazi fuckface. Pobody's nerfect. uwu

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
oh boy, it's trash posting time in the free games thread again, let me get in on some of this smelly butthole garbage posting

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
i wanna see that posts since last view count swell with just the nastiest posts lets do it

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't want to engage with this too heavily because it's personal, but the Brigador poo poo has been blown drastically out of proportion. Gauss, the dev in question and a goon, said some lovely things- I don't think this comes as much of a surprise. People in this thread calling him a literal nazi are just looking for someone to smear, though. The Brigador server that he helped found and run has always been a place of kindness, inclusiveness, and tolerance. This is not how a nazi manages a community, and I think that should speak for itself.

Anyway, Brigador is a good game. I don't blame anyone for passing up a game for moral reasons, feel free to miss it if you don't feel comfortable with it, there are a lot of good games out there. I know gauss well enough that it's painful to watch him get smeared by people who don't care for any of the nuance of the situation and just like to bring drama around. Not gonna talk about it more from here, I always hate it when people poo poo up the free games thread, but I don't want to let this slide.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

First off, if you're replying this way simply to get a rise, you can gently caress right off. For this specific case, other than this discussion in this thread, I don't know or care who this guy is. Since it has been brought to attention, I now know(still mostly a generic video game guy, but whatever) and don't jump to "happily support" them, if I even remember this when when I click on the gimme free game button. More generally though, whats the line for what media creators I need to vet before I can enjoy them properly and responsibly? Hearing a new song on the radio do I need to quick look up who it is and get their loving life story before the song ends or else I'm complicit? How far back is the statute of limitations on media? is there a line to burn my CDs and books that have problematic associations over the years?

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick or anti-snowflake or whatever label y'all seem to be applying. Obviously when things like this come up people sometimes pay attention or learn things. If it's priveledge that I don't feel the need to dig deep into every piece of media before it, then I don't even know. This is what I meant by a discussion for another place, not the free game thread

Back to not reading and just looking for links to click on, gently caress it

Please continue to gently caress off from the thread, you're unwanted.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh, and: there's a free game on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/729660/Blackout_Z_Slaughterhouse_Edition/

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

aniviron posted:

I don't want to engage with this too heavily because it's personal, but the Brigador poo poo has been blown drastically out of proportion. Gauss, the dev in question and a goon, said some lovely things- I don't think this comes as much of a surprise. People in this thread calling him a literal nazi are just looking for someone to smear, though. The Brigador server that he helped found and run has always been a place of kindness, inclusiveness, and tolerance. This is not how a nazi manages a community, and I think that should speak for itself.

You know what I actually decided to look up his comments because of this post, and nah the dude that said "the chinese virus is unravelling western civilization" (edit: content warning loving boy this poo poo sucks) is probably exactly as alt-right as everyone's pegging them as. Brigador's got more than one dev, but the dude's a lovely transphobic alt-right gently caress. Running a community discord for your video game that you sell for money doesn't erase that. And for some people this poo poo is 100% a deal breaker. Even for a free game.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 23, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

aniviron posted:

People in this thread calling him a literal nazi are just looking for someone to smear, though.

I'm not looking for someone to smear, I was describing someone who admitted to "many transphobic, racist, and anti-Semitic remarks"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TGLT posted:

You know what I actually decided to look up his comments because of this post, and nah the dude that said "the chinese virus is unravelling western civilization" is probably exactly as alt-right as everyone's pegging them as. Brigador's got more than one dev, but the dude's a lovely transphobic alt-right gently caress. Running a community discord for your video game that you sell for money doesn't erase that. And for some people this poo poo is 100% a deal breaker. Even for a free game.

-- something that is said completely normally by people who aren't nazis

sorry your friend sucks so much aniviron!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

End result....

making GBS threads up the thread

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Quick someone post a free game that's always been free

Uh

https://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/917680/one_night_hot_springs/

Doki Doki's actually a pretty alright horror game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TGLT posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917680/one_night_hot_springs/

Doki Doki's actually a pretty alright horror game.

I should play it sometime,I keep meaning to

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Len posted:

I should play it sometime,I keep meaning to

Doki Doki's a slow start but once it gets going it doesn't stop going. Make sure to keep an eye on the actual game data folder when it gets moving or some extra (but totally missable) poo poo.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Discussion for another place, but some people don't care about creators and artists etc personal lives

huh, guess i didn't expect to see unironic gamergate rhetoric on SA in 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

TGLT posted:

You know what I actually decided to look up his comments because of this post, and nah the dude that said "the chinese virus is unravelling western civilization" (edit: content warning loving boy this poo poo sucks) is probably exactly as alt-right as everyone's pegging them as. Brigador's got more than one dev, but the dude's a lovely transphobic alt-right gently caress. Running a community discord for your video game that you sell for money doesn't erase that. And for some people this poo poo is 100% a deal breaker. Even for a free game.

Yikes e: you know what others have covered it.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 23, 2020

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

CYBEReris posted:

not saying some nazi bullshit is a pretty loving low bar and if someone doesn't clear it i appreciate being made aware of that, hth

I appreciate it too and it does help, thanks.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I closed the brigador thread many months ago and it was part of what lead me to burning out and getting some co-mods immediately. It was a horrid situation and please can we not turn this thread into a similar one.

People are well within their rights not to play this game, even if free. I always appreciate people giving information out about game creators (or all media creators) if it helps you make decisions about whom and what to support.

Yes, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but so what? People are allowed to make more choices from that part on (like buying games only from Itch.io if you feel steam and epic and gog have too much of a stronghold and wish to support creators more).

I think we have covered what the brigador guy did enough in this thread (or view the absolute minefield of awfulness that the actual Brigador thread became during the Lowtax incident) and we do not need to leap to their defense for anything else.

Please enjoy the free games you wish to enjoy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

TGLT posted:

Doki Doki's a slow start but once it gets going it doesn't stop going. Make sure to keep an eye on the actual game data folder when it gets moving or some extra (but totally missable) poo poo.
Yeah, DDLC is absolutely worth one playthrough. Especially at its price.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Tropico 5 free today on EGS.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is DDLC worth just watching a let’s play of? Looks like the type of experience that would be more fun watching on the couch than sitting at the desk.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Social Animal posted:

Is DDLC worth just watching a let’s play of? Looks like the type of experience that would be more fun watching on the couch than sitting at the desk.
If that's your thing, sure!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I can't imagine watching DDLC rather than playing it. It's impossible to talk about the game without spoilers, but there are several points where you'll ask yourself "What happens if I try doing [x] or [y]?" and it's extremely satisfying to try out these different things for yourself.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I have never bought or played a Tropico game and I have 3 of them now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I will say I never had played any of those Japanese visual novel or whatever the genre is properly called before, but it came highly recommended and was assured it'd be worth it. So as an outsider I found the first 90 minutes super boring but the second 90 minutes completely made it worth it. A wild ride for sure.