Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

What does anyone use for package managers on Windows? Coming from mostly Linux and MacOS at home to wanting to use this gaming PC for some service stuff, I just do not want to install node.js and such with an installer and deal with its updates and poo poo that way.

Windows has a new integrated package manager called "winget" currently available as an Insider release. Also, yes, WSL is probably the better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s not when someone is playing, it’s that there’s no reason to do backups when the game isn’t open. Every 5 minutes is 288 backups a day, which is almost 2 gigabytes, and isn’t helpful during the 20 hours the game isn’t open.

You only backup data that has been changed, so all those backups are 0 bytes. Space is only used when someone saves the game. You could also build a system that checks that the game .exe is running before running the backup. At work we have one service that does backups once a minute. Most of those backups don't transfer any files and usually at most half a dozen.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

does anyone know why vlc's videos look like this when playing larger files, but windows media player has no issues with those same videos?

the video looks like that, eventually creates a crisp image for about a second, then reverts to looking like that.

I tried increasing the buffer in increments to eventually 10000ms; turning hardware acceleration on or off and tested the various video codecs but got no positive results.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't know if this is the same problem, but it sounds like it and according to this thread here, disabling "hurry up" in the ffmpeg settings helps with that:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=140405

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have some old SWF videos that I'd like to make into standard supported video files - anyone have a recommendation for conversion? Googling finds lots of results, buttttt I don't trust random software.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

I have some old SWF videos that I'd like to make into standard supported video files - anyone have a recommendation for conversion? Googling finds lots of results, buttttt I don't trust random software.

I usually trust Handbrake for this kind of thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I usually trust Handbrake for this kind of thing.

Oh nice I didn't know it did Shockwave. I'll give it a shot tomorrow

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Oh nice I didn't know it did Shockwave. I'll give it a shot tomorrow

Oh sorry it might not.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Medullah posted:

I believe After effects can import SWF. I imagine it depends on how they're made though.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking for a (free) full system backup solution. Take a full image backup, then do incremental to a USB drive and delete oldest backup if running out of space. Does such a solution exist?

The windows 7 backup and restore works great but it doesn't delete the oldest backup files when out of space.

Any idea?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Looking for a (free) full system backup solution. Take a full image backup, then do incremental to a USB drive and delete oldest backup if running out of space. Does such a solution exist?

The windows 7 backup and restore works great but it doesn't delete the oldest backup files when out of space.

Any idea?

Macrium Reflect.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Medullah posted:

Macrium Reflect.

This is the best answer, but the free version's incremental backup does not allow simply deleting the oldest increment in the series. The entire chain must be preserved. So your process looks more like:
1. full image
2. do incremental backups until you get low on space
3. either delete everything and start over with a fresh full image, or delete some number of the most recent increments until you have enough space to add more

(The full version of macrium has differential backups that are better at this exact purpose.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

This is the best answer, but the free version's incremental backup does not allow simply deleting the oldest increment in the series. The entire chain must be preserved. So your process looks more like:
1. full image
3. either delete everything and start over with a fresh full image, or delete some number of the most recent increments until you have enough space to add more

(The full version of macrium has differential backups that are better at this exact purpose.)

Actually, you've got it backwards. The free version only does differentials, which are differentials from the full backup - the other differentials aren't required to restore.
An incremental chain requires all incrementals from the full to restore. The full version of Macrium reflect has incremental functionality, and also will merge the oldest incremental in to the full backup to keep the chain at a defined length

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VeeamZIP seems to be free still

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

It depends a lot on what was inside, some of them just embed a video that you can unpack with JPEXS and just export, but if it's an animation done in Flash and you want a video out of it you're basically just going to be screen recording.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Biowarfare posted:

It depends a lot on what was inside, some of them just embed a video that you can unpack with JPEXS and just export, but if it's an animation done in Flash and you want a video out of it you're basically just going to be screen recording.

Is there no way to render this properly? I mean you'd just have to put the vector graphics into a frame by frame state, I would assume the editor you created it with should be able to do that, no?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Klyith posted:

1. full image

Klyith posted:

1. full image

Looks like Veeam free edition should work for me. It's not the full blown server/client version where you need to install SQL. Doesn't give you the option to delete backups but there's an option to keep X amount of days which should work for me for one or two weeks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm trying to create a Windows 10 virtual machine in Hyper-V using the Windows 10 product key from an old laptop. The laptop is now wiped and offline, but when I input it into the Windows installation prompt, it says the product key is not recognized.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Was the Windows 10 a digital upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, since you said the laptop was old? I'm not sure the key would work for doing a straight Windows 10 installation in a case like that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Was the Windows 10 a digital upgrade from an earlier version of Windows, since you said the laptop was old? I'm not sure the key would work for doing a straight Windows 10 installation in a case like that.

Honestly, I don't remember. The laptop was about 5 years old, so right around when Windows 10 came out. If it started as Win 10, it probably started as Home and we later upgraded it to Pro. But I got the product key directly out of it before shutting it down, if that helps.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Honestly, I don't remember. The laptop was about 5 years old, so right around when Windows 10 came out. If it started as Win 10, it probably started as Home and we later upgraded it to Pro. But I got the product key directly out of it before shutting it down, if that helps.
Well, you could try downloading the installation disks for Windows 8.1 or 8 or whatever is likely to have lived on that laptop when you bought it and try to install those with your product key. If it works, you should be able to use the free upgrade to Windows 10 again, at which point you're basically back where you started, just with a little detour.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ynglaur posted:

What tool did you use to get the key? If you google the first block or two of letters, do you get a lot of web hits with people asking why the key doesn't work?

Because with OEM PCs that have the key blown into the BIOS, you have to use a utility that can directly extract it from the BIOS. For whatever reason, windows activates using that OEM key but then stores a fake key in the registry / places normal key-finder software looks. This article has some utilities that can do it.

(In a similar way, when you upgrade to 10 or install it using a Win7 key, it doesn't store that either. Everyone gets VK7JG-etc that isn't a real key.)

Aside from that, I don't think it's any more picky about keys when installed in a VM than otherwise.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ynglaur posted:

I'm trying to create a Windows 10 virtual machine in Hyper-V using the Windows 10 product key from an old laptop. The laptop is now wiped and offline, but when I input it into the Windows installation prompt, it says the product key is not recognized.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

I'd consider just buying a key for $5 if I needed one. So far I've been good reading windows 7 keys off old desktops I have around.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Windows 10 keys are $5? :stare:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ynglaur posted:

You can find them for $5 (or cheaper) on ebay. Ebay doesent like it and will ban sellers quick, but I've bought a ton of them through the years and never really had an issue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Windows 7 keys are and you can still freely upgrade a Win7 installation to Win10.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ynglaur posted:

Should be in the OP or something

Lodge North sells all kinds of keys at wholesale prices or whatever.

quote:

Windows 10 Pro: $15
Windows 10 Home : $15
Windows 7 (can be used for you to activate Windows 10 Pro or be used to go from Home to Pro fully activated): $5

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just buy a win 10 key for $2 off of eBay. It's not going to be any more or less legit than a key sold by a goon.

(If it's for a company don't buy either.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

thanks goons!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm setting up to record a podcast and I need to run two sets of headphones listening to the same video call. I have a USB mixer which acts as an audio card, and I have the audio card inside my system. How can I send the same audio output (we're running one mic, so input isn't a problem) to both devices at the same time? This is Windows 10

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm setting up to record a podcast and I need to run two sets of headphones listening to the same video call. I have a USB mixer which acts as an audio card, and I have the audio card inside my system. How can I send the same audio output (we're running one mic, so input isn't a problem) to both devices at the same time? This is Windows 10
You should be able to use the (normally disabled) Stereo Mixer virtual device to do this. Here's a short how-to that might help you set it up: https://windowsreport.com/play-sound-2-devices-windows-10/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

You should be able to use the (normally disabled) Stereo Mixer virtual device to do this. Here's a short how-to that might help you set it up: https://windowsreport.com/play-sound-2-devices-windows-10/

That did the trick, thank you!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

That did the trick, thank you!
Glad to hear it. Good luck with your podcast.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

Windows 7 keys are and you can still freely upgrade a Win7 installation to Win10.

You don't need to upgrade, the Windows 10 setup will accept 7, 8 and 8.1 keys.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Since the last Windows update my monitor (ACER Nitro VG280K), connected via DisplayPort, no longer actually turns off when Windows should be turning it off. There's a light that stays blue and the backlight is clearly on, but when physically turned off the amber "standby" light comes on.

After much Googling, troubleshooting and loving bullshit, I've found that if I disconnect the wireless receiver for the Xbox One controller I use then the monitor will sleep. The controller itself is not on when sleep is being prevented, it's just having that plugged in prevents Windows from deep sleeping the monitor or whatever the term is.

I don't expect any solution to this, I just wanna bitch about how loving dumb it is that this behaviour happens with all official Microsoft products. Goddamn.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's fantastic that Microsoft Word, as of 2019 or some earlier recent version, lets you collapse content under headers. I'm making "cheat sheets" for things like programming, web development, and database management syntax, with links to the documentation. This addresses that there are occasionally things that are only borderline important that I want to hide until they're needed so that I don't have to scroll past them. I'd asked about it once a few years ago and I just got told that Microsoft Word doesn't support HTML.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

galenanorth posted:

It's fantastic that Microsoft Word, as of 2019 or some earlier recent version, lets you collapse content under headers. I'm making "cheat sheets" for things like programming, web development, and database management syntax, with links to the documentation. This addresses that there are occasionally things that are only borderline important that I want to hide until they're needed so that I don't have to scroll past them. I'd asked about it once a few years ago and I just got told that Microsoft Word doesn't support HTML.

This seems like a use case for OneNote?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you. I've never used OneNote before. I'll try moving a cheat sheet to a OneNote and see if it makes its content easier to use

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 22, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Less Fat Luke posted:

Since the last Windows update my monitor (ACER Nitro VG280K), connected via DisplayPort, no longer actually turns off when Windows should be turning it off. There's a light that stays blue and the backlight is clearly on, but when physically turned off the amber "standby" light comes on.

After much Googling, troubleshooting and loving bullshit, I've found that if I disconnect the wireless receiver for the Xbox One controller I use then the monitor will sleep. The controller itself is not on when sleep is being prevented, it's just having that plugged in prevents Windows from deep sleeping the monitor or whatever the term is.

I don't expect any solution to this, I just wanna bitch about how loving dumb it is that this behaviour happens with all official Microsoft products. Goddamn.

Does the receiver have a Power Management tab in Device Manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

galenanorth posted:

Thank you. I've never used OneNote before. I'll try moving a cheat sheet to a OneNote and see if it makes its content easier to use

The trick with that app is to treat it like a notebook. I tried putting everything into one note, but it's better to make a notebook and split the information into individual pages within it.

I don't remember the exact button presses, but you can also create links to other pages, so you can can make a table of contents or to hyperlink between sections.