Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In the protagonist's defense he has virus in his brain when he asks that question. Also he has a vending machine in his house so I don't think he's ever seen real food before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

I get your point, but the earlier CP2077 example is weird in the sense that in the cyberpunky literature I've read, the situation has mostly been that Japanese corporations an culture are a huge player globally and you'd assume that Japanese food and knowledge of it would be commonplace. CDPR just suck.

The clip in question doesn't question the existence of Japanese food, or bewilderment at its existence, its the player character poking fun at the other person because they're surprised that they'd venture outside of what the PC considered their buddy's comfort zone re: food. FWIW said buddy responds with basically "what the gently caress you don't think I eat noodles? add some chili powder and you have (my mom's) sopa de fideos"

christmas boots posted:

In the protagonist's defense he has virus in his brain when he asks that question. Also he has a vending machine in his house so I don't think he's ever seen real food before.

I think the brain virus is later, and I think the vending machine is the dystopian replacement for kitchenettes in cyberpunk apartments, which is uniquely horrifying. Kill me first if we ever wind up in a future where they remove kitchens and replace them with vending machines dispensing nutrient goo.

E: I am the IOSM, why is Ducktales trending on Twitter?

orange juche has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Dec 22, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/lolacoaster/status/1341428773539856385

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

orange juche posted:

I assume it's this:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

I assume it's this:

JFC how old is that loving Larry King clip? Larry King still does interviews? poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

orange juche posted:

The clip in question doesn't question the existence of Japanese food, or bewilderment at its existence, its the player character poking fun at the other person because they're surprised that they'd venture outside of what the PC considered their buddy's comfort zone re: food. FWIW said buddy responds with basically "what the gently caress you don't think I eat noodles? add some chili powder and you have (my mom's) sopa de fideos"

So what you're saying is we should check the context of things ourselves instead of using single posts to decide everything for us?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean only if you assume that post is correct and the other isn’t. Either way your taking someone’s opinion as fact

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean only if you assume that post is correct and the other isn’t. Either way your taking someone’s opinion as fact

Says you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246SigM_S3s

I mean the clip in question (along with hilarious bug that still exists regarding vehicle pathing) is on youtube. I believe he also leaves his chopsticks magically hanging in midair as well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fishstick posted:

Do you have a link to that takedown?

Here you go. And it was yakisoba that was considered outre. https://twitter.com/wouldhaus/status/1338419857541328896

Here's the yakisoba bit.

https://twitter.com/wouldhaus/status/1338440125957619712

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ravenkult posted:

If we can poo poo on Americans for voting Trump, we can poo poo on the Polish too.

As the old saying goes it's best to poo poo where you eat live and let others do the same.

I think I got that right.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

Part of the nasty baggage of cyberpunk poo poo is exoticization of Japanese culture, so yeah, that's there in spades. I don't see how you can have cyberpunk that hews close to "real" cyberpunk without that baggage since it was central to the theme. You'd have to completely redo everything, or just not do cyberpunk. I'm trying to think of a cyberpunk movie or book that avoids orientalist tones, and I'm drawing a big loving blank. Its quite problematic.

I think the problem here is you're defining cyberpunk in a way that deliberately excludes Japanese and other East Asian contributions to the genre. So you're kicking out the obvious non-Orientalist stuff, but also the western stuff that was inspired by anime, and manga, and films, making homages and references to those specific products of Japanese culture rather than propagating Orientalist stereotypes. There is a huge difference between Stix's Kill Roy Was Here WWII propaganda poster robots, and Ready Player One just having a Gundam running around.

Look, cyberpunk is a subset of futuristic dystopia, and it's one with a very specific aesthetic thanks largely to the massive amount of visual media in it including a lot of anime and manga. That being said, the least cyberpunk of cyberpunk things aren't stuff with authoritarian or fascist politics. It's the stuff that's pure aesthetic with no politics. The stuff that has nothing to say about capital, corporatism, transhumanism, technology, or any of the many other themes common to cyberpunk and future dystopia in general. Demolition Man is a solidly cyberpunk movie, while that that Scarlet Johansson Ghost in the Shell movie barely qualifies.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

They are talking about the exact same scene here btw. That is how "arguing in a circle" this entire thing is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The clip was posted in the thread so imo watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions. I think orange juche's interpretation is correct but there's no additional context you need so the clip can speak for itself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not going to play any more Obsidian games until they apologize for and reverse the American occupation of Afghanistan.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is an online forum considered social media? Cause if it is, this thread got meta as gently caress over the last few pages.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Ready Player 1 is cyberpunk then cancel cyberpunk

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is an online forum considered social media? Cause if it is, this thread got meta as gently caress over the last few pages.

It's media, and there are people being social on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ready Player One is cyberpunk and with a more competent writer, I think there’s some stuff in there that could be pretty interesting.

As it stands though it’s bottom of the barrel garbage.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vandar posted:

Ready Player One is cyberpunk

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

cancel cyberpunk

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The best posts are always the posts that say the thread is the real idiot. Those are always the most intellectual posts

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

His account has to have been hacked, but.

e:

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1341417854856536064

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Dec 23, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I think Rob is joking

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
SOS is Cyberpunk by a variety of different standards.

1) Orientalism: It was created by white Westerners and everything is seen through a white western lens for a Japanese audience.

2) Man becoming machine: Watching office drones behave not as human beings but as cogs in a larger machine, transhumanism through barcodes, mechanical modifications removing your soul, ect.

3) Machine becoming man: The large machine that people kowtow to is actually Satan, who has both autonomy to act on its own and control the men-become-machines.

4) Fascist police state: The man with the sunglasses and his jackbooted thugs who force transhuman barcodes onto people. In addition to a police force, they have subtler means of control such as controlling the media and the medical community.

5) Dystopia: On top of the fascist police state, people's material needs also seem to be lacking. Giving up your soul for "a special on rice and you can have beans at a giveaway price" is not an offer that a well provided-for population would consider. In "He's coming soon" is also appears that private ownership and personal worship are, if not de jure forbidden, are de facto reserved for certain classes within the broader society and that escape from society is impossible.

6) What does it mean to be human?: Are we merely monkeys turning into machines? Should we treat our own life as an end unto itself (hedonism) or is it a means for something greater? If our lives are to be a means for something greater, what is that greater purpose and how do we conceive ourselves within it? Their answer to the technodystopia is a kind of pastoral anarchism to prepare for the return of Jesus.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
as punishment for this derail, Firefly is now cyberpunk

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/AlKapDC/status/1341148510721335298

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think that Firefly's a spacehorse opera

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Rob Delaney was a Bernie Bro so want to believe he is joking

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

christmas boots posted:

It's generally best to assume the professional comedian who only gets political when talking about how awesome universal healthcare is, is joking when talking about being a landlord.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

christmas boots posted:

That one absolutely reads as a joke. He knows his audience and is doing a bit.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

china bot posted:

as punishment for this derail, Firefly is now cyberpunk

我不要一个评自己是中国牛仔戏,可是全都是白人干的,连 “王八蛋” 那么简单的字语都读不清。一个烂片!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

我不要一个评自己是中国牛仔戏,可是全都是白人干的,连 “王八蛋” 那么简单的字语都读不清。一个烂片!

Sorry I can't read this without the emojis in.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A great deal of the setting is lifted wholesale from Johnny Mnemonic so... It's probably the worst example of the genre, being that it gets there by stumbling assbackwards into it view regurgitation pop culture at a time when cyberpunk was big. But it still qualifies, particularly when you're defining cyberpunk in ways that are really beholden to that earliest period. We're 40 years into this genre; a lot of stuff is just going to be hacky retreads.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

This guy is a left-wing comedian and he is making a joke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is a hell of a read

Not sure what's the most :catstare:, the would-be "accomplishments" which even he can't make sound like anything positive (best dysfunctional family? What?), the tortured ED metaphor, the potshots at his investor, or the crucifixion imagery mixed with Christmas rather than Easter

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
Although Hannibal Buress is, in fact, a landlord.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OhAreThey posted:

Although Hannibal Buress is, in fact, a landlord.

I really hope he lost a lot of money because of either COVID making it impossible for him to evict his tenants or if they were already gone COVID destroying AirBnB.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Data Graham posted:

This is a hell of a read

Not sure what's the most :catstare:, the would-be "accomplishments" which even he can't make sound like anything positive (best dysfunctional family? What?), the tortured ED metaphor, the potshots at his investor, or the crucifixion imagery mixed with Christmas rather than Easter

I wasn't gonna click through until I read this and holy poo poo.