Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That sounds right. It's like a little triangle of land between a highway and a beach and there was like decades of bodies in there. They also think it might have been the same dumping ground for two different serial killers.

Gilgo beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:aaa: that's almost 1.5 litres per day. Not the worst thing about the man but damnnnnn

I went through a period of hard drinking where I could put down 1/2 to 2/3 of that on a bad day but I don't know how these people stay functional.

Yeah, it's not exactly the biggest takeaway from it but daaaamn. How did he even stay alive for that long to have so many victims?
That's also what makes it extra creepy for me. Like, he wanted/forced these women to indulge in what he did regurlarly.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Heh, nice to see my birthplace turn up here.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeah, it's not exactly the biggest takeaway from it but daaaamn. How did he even stay alive for that long to have so many victims?
That's also what makes it extra creepy for me. Like, he wanted/forced these women to indulge in what he did regurlarly.

I mean... I can put away 1.5L of liquor over a day without getting blackout drunk provided its over an entire 16 hour period. That's without any sort of tolerance, too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
um. . . .

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

As an American my primitive brain doesn't fully understand what a "liter" is, but a 1.5L engine is tiny therefore I can safely conclude it is also a tiny amount of alcohol.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I mean... I can put away 1.5L of liquor over a day without getting blackout drunk provided its over an entire 16 hour period. That's without any sort of tolerance, too.

A handle of Watermelon Daiquiri is not the same as a handle of vodka.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You are drastically underestimating how much vodka 1.5L is.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Solice Kirsk posted:

As an American my primitive brain doesn't fully understand what a "liter" is, but a 1.5L engine is tiny therefore I can safely conclude it is also a tiny amount of alcohol.

Doesn't soda pop come in 2L bottles there?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Facebook Aunt posted:

We just call that a small

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, and somehow those are even smaller than a 1.5L engine. This is illustrating exactly why the metric system doesn't work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A handle is 1.75 litres. A standard sized vodka bottle is .75L.

So in other words dude was drinking 85% of a handle per day, every day?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Joking aside, one of my buddy's had a real bad drinking problem and he would go through a bottle of whiskey and a case of beer a day. But on the weekends, well that's when he'd really cut loose.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Joking aside, one of my buddy's had a real bad drinking problem and he would go through a bottle of whiskey and a case of beer a day. But on the weekends, well that's when he'd really cut loose.

Was your buddy Andre the Giant?

But seriously, you used past tense so I hope that means he eventually got better. I don’t know how a person would even have TIME to drink that much. Or the energy - two glasses of whisky and it’s pretty much sleepy-town for me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

letthereberock posted:

But seriously, you used past tense so I hope that means he eventually got better. I don’t know how a person would even have TIME to drink that much. Or the energy - two glasses of whisky and it’s pretty much sleepy-town for me.

I don't think I have seen someone drink a bottle of whiskey and a case but I definitely frequently watch people kill a bottle and a six pack.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

What the gently caress are we even still doing in Afghanistan, I don't loving understand it.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i too encourage poor and marginalized people to get into physical altercations with government agents

in adjacent news, the relationship between the qanon estranged parent network and their legal assistance is going as you'd think

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/qanon-mom-accused-murder-man-child-custody

quote:

Petrie-Blanchard was indicted Tuesday on separate charges of kidnapping, relating to an incident in March when she allegedly abducted her twin daughters from their grandmother's home in Bowling Green, Kentucky

Holy poo poo the same place as the bowling green massacre?! This can’t be a coincidence :tinfoil:

Edit: okay this isn’t the Trump lol thread but oh well

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Dec 23, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That Bakersfield 3 story was nuts. I feel bad for Baylee. How on earth did she get sucked so deep into such an awful situation so quickly?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Bussamove posted:

You are drastically underestimating how much vodka 1.5L is.

I'm measuring this from drinking most of a 1.75L bottle over a day

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sucrose posted:

What the gently caress are we even still doing in Afghanistan, I don't loving understand it.

Article raising questions already adequately answered by article.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I'm measuring this from drinking most of a 1.75L bottle over a day

Either you have a large tolerance or a very large body

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

xtal posted:

Either you have a large tolerance or a very large body

You can fit a lot of vodka in a watermelon.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I remember reading about Tinning on Crime Library, which was tremendous back in the day as the articles were researched and professionally written. A bit of it is still available on Internet Archive and it has cases that aren't mentioned as often, such as Belle Gunness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

letthereberock posted:

Nope, he died years and years ago. From heroin, not drinking. He...had some problems.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Most of HBO's old Autopsy series is available because it's like an ancient series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odxA7J4mr8

The one thing about it that's sort of handy is it really just covers stuff in as little as 1 minute to like 7 minutes per case, it's not trying to fluff out each case into a full episode. Each episode is really just the "here's what the body" told us parts.

WARNING: there are some gruesome photos in there, the kind they used to show on true crime TV but tend not to any more.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I assume most - if not all - people in here have heard about the woman who had her baby taken by a dingo in Australia. Lindy Chamberlain was her name. While this isn't much of an update on the incident it provides a pretty good snapshot of just how police and doctors treated the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1341585111565791232

Fun fact: Azaria means 'helped / blessed by God'

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Inceltown posted:

I assume most - if not all - people in here have heard about the woman who had her baby taken by a dingo in Australia. Lindy Chamberlain was her name. While this isn't much of an update on the incident it provides a pretty good snapshot of just how police and doctors treated the whole thing.

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1341585111565791232

Fun fact: Azaria means 'helped / blessed by God'
Oh yeah they accused the family of sacrificing babies to Satan just because they were Seventh-Day Adventists. This is not in any way an exaggeration, it's the motive the police came up with since there wasn't an actual motive because they were actually a totally normal family with a somewhat unusual and insular religion who very much loved their daughter.

The dingos had been getting bolder and bolder leading up to that fatal attack, with park rangers noticing and trying to get permission to put the fear of humans back into the dingos by shooting at them if they got too close to high-population areas of the park. It wasn't taken seriously by the people who could have given permission, because everyone knows dingos don't attack humans! Visitors to the park were not informed of the increased aggression and boldness, because they didn't want to scare people away, and thus Lindy Chamberlain thought it was safe to leave Azaria in the tent with the zip open for less than 5 minutes while she heated up some beans for her hungry son. If she'd had any idea dingos could be a danger, I fully believe she would have zipped up the tent or not even camped there in the first place, but since the park hadn't warned of the previous attacks...

It just makes me mad on the level of like, poor wildlife management, because the dingos should never have been in a position to sneak in and grab a baby to begin with. Obviously wildlife parks are going to have wildlife. That's good, that's normal, that's fine. But you have to be sure the wildlife aren't getting too acclimatized to humans. On the same merit, visitors need to know what steps they should take to minimize danger. It'd be like if a park tried to cover up the fact that bears are dangerous and you need to hang your food in trees to avoid baiting bears to your campsite, or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Nvm

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Dec 23, 2020

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Pick posted:

WARNING: there are some gruesome photos in there, the kind they used to show on true crime TV but tend not to any more.

Dark Crimes is ones from South Africa and they did NOT shy away on showing bodies and blood. You don't need to see a dude's handiwork with a machete.

The worst I ever saw was a woman who was burnt in a dumpster :cry:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Jesus God Almighty she killed 8 of their children

What, I mean, what more, I mean oh god

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dingos are literally just wolves, keep that in mind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's super sad and weird is there was never even a reason to really doubt it. Feral dogs still kill people, and an infant would make that all the easier basically.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

Look at how many fatal dog attacks in the USA just this year, and how many are young people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lt_kennedy posted:

Dark Crimes is ones from South Africa and they did NOT shy away on showing bodies and blood. You don't need to see a dude's handiwork with a machete.

The worst I ever saw was a woman who was burnt in a dumpster :cry:

Gruesome, although as a note, Forensic Files episode "Charred Remains" is also about a body burned in a dumpster (with photos). For all that people talk about how extreme TV is now, I don't think you could produce some of those now.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I think coyote would be the closest US analogy to a dingo. They're known for avoiding humans and not being a threat to most full sized adults, but they've been getting more aggressive recently, and have been attacking kids.

I'd probably go camping in an area with coyotes. I would definitely not go camping in an area with wolves.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You kind of have to be okay with camping in coyote areas if you live in much of the US. I’ve seen them walking down the street in my parents’ neighborhood in Southern California and it’s by no means a rural area.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rural Australian cops exist pretty much solely to murder Aboriginal people, keep in mind. Not surprising they're aggressively useless at everything else.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rural Australian cops exist pretty much solely to murder Aboriginal people, keep in mind. Not surprising they're aggressively useless at everything else.

That's all Australian police forces, since about their inception

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also all US and canadian police. All these cops sure are something!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Did you miss that she ASTOUNDED the doctors by dressing the baby ALL IN BLACK?

BLACK! A BABY!

Astounding! Must've murdered it for weird gods, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I believe there's only one known case of a fatal coyote attack on an adult and it wasn't all that long ago. I think a toddler had been killed by one as well a ways back.