Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think the only EA Star Wars games that weren't well received are the Battlefront games. The first one was super barebones and clearly put out as fast as they could and the second one was so disastrous with it's microtransactions that it seems like Disney has put a "no DLC" policy in place since neither Fallen Order or Squadrons have any.
Also it got governments talking about stepping in with regards to lootboxes.

Not that there are any other EA Star Wars games, I think. EA seems to have had trouble putting out Star Wars games, they signed a 10 year exclusivity deal in 2013 and they've barely put anything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Much like the movie industry the game industry has kinda suffered from a shrinking of the "middle" range- games that aren't AAA but can't be done on an indie budget either. Though a supers RPG could probably find an audience, it'd have to be on the smaller scale.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I mean it's no paid dlc. Free stuff is fine, as evidenced bt Squadrons getting a bwing tie defender dlc

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The biggest complaint with EA’s Star Wars games is all of the non-EA games that got canceled when Disney bought the rights, dissolved LucasArts, and gave EA exclusivity.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Disney should hire all the former factor 5 guys and give me rogue squadron 3

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Edge & Christian posted:

TakeTwo still has the trademark for "Freedom Force" and as long as they don't use "superhero" in the advertising and the characters look like rip-offs/homages instead of confusingly similar characters, Marvel/DC wouldn't have any grounds for a lawsuit.

I do think the possible reason for not doing a revival is that there are a bunch (of varying quality, but nonetheless) of actual superhero games with actual characters people already know; I'm kind of out of the loop of a lot of AAA video games but you also don't see nearly as many "basketball/baseball/football/wrestling/Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off" games as you did in the 8/16 Bit era, probably because everyone just buys Madden or the new Star Wars game instead.

It's because the production costs on AAA games have skyrocketed since the '90s. The problem with the "HD era" is that games take longer to produce, require more man-hours of effort, and involve much bigger teams. The average AAA game has a budget roughly equivalent to a Hollywood summer blockbuster, which means companies go well out of their way to remove any financial risk whatsoever from the final product. It's why most of them are either parts of a franchise, an attempt to start a franchise, a revival of an old franchise, or star some of history's most marketable known quantities. Nobody wants to be the rear end in a top hat responsible for a project that failed by not succeeding hard enough.

With Freedom Force in particular, it's a bunch of brand-X superheroes in a niche genre (real-time strategy is kinda dead unless you're the guys who make Total War), but more importantly, it was an Irrational Games joint. The guy who used to run Irrational, Ken Levine, is a notorious perfectionist and games with his name on them tend to have very long development cycles. He and Irrational were also kinda stuck in the BioShock mines from around 2005 to 2013 (and they didn't even make BioShock 2), and making BioShock Infinite reportedly almost killed him.

Irrational rebranded to Ghost Story in 2017, which is a much smaller studio. I don't doubt that if Levine had his way he'd have made at least one more Freedom Force by now, but there's no way Take-Two would sign off on that and it'd have taken Levine six years and three entirely separate reworks of the game's systems, art style, and character design.

Edge & Christian posted:

The other thing I'm only thinking about right now -- and this is not founded in any facts and may be a borderline conspiracy theory -- but I wonder if this is part of why both Marvel and DC have gone so multiverse-crazy over the past decade or two: when Freedom Force came out there were probably maybe a dozen different distinct and enforceable "Spider-Man" looks that you could say look too much like Marvel's Spider-Man so as to cause marketplace confusion.

In 2020, Marvel and DC have created (and marketed in one-shots, mini-series, alternate covers, action figures, etc) hundreds of different versions of all of their marketable characters, so that you'd have to be incredibly careful not to accidentally market your video game with something that looks too similar to Punk Rock Spider-Man or Steampunk Wonder Woman or Soviet Superman or Cyberpunk Vampire Batman or Latinx Female Paramilitary Captain America that this might be more of a concern for would-be developers.

I always figured that was a natural consequence of modern writers not wanting to get Jack Kirby'd. It's gotta suck if the character or idea you threw out on a whim a few years ago for rent money ends up being the basis of a billion-dollar blockbuster, where your share amounts to your name in the credits under Special Thanks if you're lucky.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The French translator for DC Comics is putting their own anti-feminist ideals in translations.

https://twitter.com/adragoninspace/status/1335476253218967552?s=20
https://twitter.com/Guillaume_HPS/status/1335520582444658688?s=20

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A quick and dirty translation if you'd like one:

quote:

Hello Urban Comics, I was reading Batman Rebirth vol. 7 when I was suddenly taken out of the story by this horrible translation, which is totally contrary to Batgirl's character and the original text. What happened?

Voice: You speak of him [as if he's in the past.] There's always something wrong with your guys. They say the wrong things, they tell bad jokes, they make mistakes, or...

Batgirl: His e-mails were full of PC language. It's feminism in slippers. I don't support that.

The second one is a little more context dependent.

quote:

Sort of in the same genre, I was very surprised by this translation choice in the excellent Prez, also published by Urban.

Sun Guy: [Mademoiselle] President, it's your lucky day.

Prez: Say [madam]. It's only in France that that word offends feminists.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That sucks!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/ComicsJacks/status/1341516353832939520

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
wanted to see Meyer get annihilated but oh well, cgate more or less completely shat itself and died last year and are totally irrelevant now anyways

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Never had a chance against the forces of Waid and Zaid

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

Never had a chance against the forces of Waid and Zaid

It's so weird that his lawyer was the guy who mostly represents government whistle blowers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's so weird that his lawyer was the guy who mostly represents government whistle blowers.

What isn't Waid telling us?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Lol

https://twitter.com/mephistofish/status/1341549087385137152?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
🤔

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ahaha he's serious

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not. Even. An. Apology.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

So Waid's lawyer is saying the case was dismissed "with prejudice."

https://twitter.com/MarkSZaidEsq/status/1341547408724013056?s=20

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
comicsgate's been going on for 3 years and all they have to show for it are a bunch of crowdfunding campaigns that were supposed to fuel a cottage industry but I don't know if they actually are?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

comicsgate's been going on for 3 years and all they have to show for it are a bunch of crowdfunding campaigns that were supposed to fuel a cottage industry but I don't know if they actually are?

Depends on if you consider "maybe two guys' mortgages" a cottage industry.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Kurui Reiten posted:

Depends on if you consider "maybe two guys' mortgages" a cottage industry.

It's at least a two cottages industry then

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

It's at least a two cottages industry then

:golfclap:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Have any of the crowd funded books aside from Cyberfrog actually been released? I guess Richard Meyer's book came out, giving him cover to drop the lawsuit without admitting it was because he was almost certainly gonna lose, but was that a kick starter or did he just find a different publisher?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That one really racist pencil scratch comic book got kickstarted for two issues. I believe it was called Iron Sights, but I have no interest in looking it up to check.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

That one really racist pencil scratch comic book got kickstarted for two issues. I believe it was called Iron Sights, but I have no interest in looking it up to check.

Did people get their books?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I have no idea!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

ComicsGate - like Gamergate - was a spiteful grift from the get-go, but the difference is these comics guys couldn’t get beyond a couple gofundmes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Have any of the crowd funded books aside from Cyberfrog actually been released? I guess Richard Meyer's book came out, giving him cover to drop the lawsuit without admitting it was because he was almost certainly gonna lose, but was that a kick starter or did he just find a different publisher?

I believe a few have. Amusingly since EVS and Dickie hogged most of the attention for themselves and certainly didn't promote their fellow 'creators' a lot of them only barely funded and one can't imagine these people are on the whole good at managing their funds.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah there’s been some CG comics that have come out (I think there’s even a publisher that’s pro-CG? Alterna Comics or Arctic PressI think?). They don’t make waves because surprise, people who’s ideal comic is “90’s xtreme but with racism/sexism” isn’t popular

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 23, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alterna isn't explicitly a comicsgate label, they just publish anything, so a lot of CG people were drawn there. Not much of a distinction, and it boils down to it being bad because of greed and apathy over actually holding lovely views themselves.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
funniest comicsgate story was the breitweisers getting $200k for red rooster then turning around and reselling copies at Walmart for $5 before backers got their books

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1341866035964686336?s=20

It's the ultimate grift for Ethan, Dicky, that Cecil Guy and that's pretty much it.

It nuked that guy Andrew Huerta's career and Van Nazi always has to find a new enemy, so he nukes his friends on the regular.

The latest target is that guy Donal, who whined when DC wouldn't buy his terrible Lobo pitch so he made it into a two year late book that still has yet to ship, who Ethan is throwing under the bus now.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
did tennapel's book ship

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think someone did High School Art Class grade work for a Vampirella cover. Is that a success??

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I think someone did High School Art Class grade work for a Vampirella cover. Is that a success??

Yeah, Fandom Menace mouthpiece That Star Wars Girl raised 50K for it so... sort of. ('One of the internet's most adored pop-culture advocates.' Good lord, Dynamite.)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I've heard one of the Vtubers pulled like 50K in a stream, so that's wrong.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/seankmckeever/status/1344155480982171649

The reviewer is currently sitting in the replies grifting like a mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
For all the good it will do I went through and reported any of the shill tweet I saw as spam.