Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Strange Solution is not Dunwich-specific and can be used in any deck that can take it, and in any campaign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

In some ways it reminds me of DnD with how the storytelling is variable and there's a continuous campaign narrative + character deck improvements. After opening up the Dunwich box I noticed a "Strange Solution" card that apparently would have some kind bearing on a campaign near the end, but doesn't say how or why? I kind of think it's extremely cool to have something like that since it seems like a risk to sacrifice a card in a deck for an asset that you aren't told the purpose of. I do NOT wanna spoil what it does but I do wish to know: is it a card solely for the Dunwich cycle? Does it have any purpose outside of Dunwich Legacy?

Strange Solution is first of a series of cards with a similar gimmick. None of those cards are cycle specific, they can be taken from and used in any campaign to great effect.

Speaking of campaigns, did you get the whole Dunwich cycle?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So we did the first three parts of TIC with Silas, Amanda, and sister Mary. We survived every scenario, with Amanda being defeated in scenario three although we finish it probably 10 turns earlier than we needed to.

Completing it again with Tommy/Daisy/Sefina And we nearly gone perfect on each part. A little for knowledge can be a drat good thing, but I never imagined that Tommy was such a good character because I only played him in duo. In three players he can take a whole parties worth of damage, and with the Black cat cure it. Amazing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Strange Solution is first of a series of cards with a similar gimmick. None of those cards are cycle specific, they can be taken from and used in any campaign to great effect.

Speaking of campaigns, did you get the whole Dunwich cycle?

I did! I'm pretty stoked to have an entire cycle to play with, too. I'm waiting for a big card box I ordered to arrive tomorrow before I open up the six Mythos packs---I opened up the Dunwich box though to get the player cards (fire axe!) and look at the Investigators. Seems odd that they all have just 1 aspect + 5 other cards while the first box had investigators that were able to use 2 aspects of 0-5 and 0-2 levels. Was this a one-off thing for the first 5 and after that, FF Games decided to approach future investigators differently? Or do other sets have characters that can use the same split?

I've been keeping track of the other cycles that are in stock in various places---so far I see all of Forgotten Age is on Amazon, the core set+first 3 mythos packs for Dream Eaters are available in a few smaller places, and Circle Undone is a bit harder to find stuff for but I've seen a lot of it on 401games.
I wanted to try Carcosa, but besides the initial box and Unspeakable Oath, it is completely out of stock everywhere for the other Mythos packs.

I did, however, preorder the new stand alone scenario that involves 3 warring factions trying to summon their own eldritch gods, because the description sounded loving amazing and I definitely want that on day 1.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Because there are more cards of each color, the second box in the expansion characters that you buy individually are monochromatic. Doing that with the first five characters would require them to put a lot more cards out then was probably feasible.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DLC Inc posted:

I did! I'm pretty stoked to have an entire cycle to play with, too. I'm waiting for a big card box I ordered to arrive tomorrow before I open up the six Mythos packs---I opened up the Dunwich box though to get the player cards (fire axe!) and look at the Investigators. Seems odd that they all have just 1 aspect + 5 other cards while the first box had investigators that were able to use 2 aspects of 0-5 and 0-2 levels. Was this a one-off thing for the first 5 and after that, FF Games decided to approach future investigators differently? Or do other sets have characters that can use the same split?

0-5 primary and 0-2 secondary is the most common set-up for characters (three of the five characters in the most recent box have that setup), but there are a decent number of alternatives. For instance there's one character who has access to cards with the trait "Blessed" 0-3, and there's one particular Seeker who basically upgrades into a Mystic (Seeker cards level 0 and Mystic cards 1-5). To date the Dunwich style of five other level 0 cards hasn't been done again, though they are actually quite strong.

Once you crack open the mythos packs report back, see if you can figure out why I asked.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
New Agnes Baker parallel investigator article. They swapped her health and sanity from 6/8 to 8/6 to better accommodate her parallel ability, and while Heirloom of Hyperborea is still competing for a highly contested slot for Mystics given the other options, it certainly makes it worth playing with the parallel ability. Dark Memory didn't get changed too much (just a cost increase I think?) but makes for a really interested interaction and decision space with Agnes's parallel ability.

I dig it. It sort of changes Agnes from being asset-focused spell slinger to event-focused spell slinger.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Looks like if you're playing parallel Agnes her ability can be used to help pay for Dark Memory, so if you go Advanced immediately you can pay the cost increase with blood.

Also Parallel Agnes rocks.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Omnicrom posted:

Looks like if you're playing parallel Agnes her ability can be used to help pay for Dark Memory, so if you go Advanced immediately you can pay the cost increase with blood.

Also Parallel Agnes rocks.

Which then shuffles Dark Memory back into your deck instead of going to your discard. :v: It's a fun interaction and decision to make.

edit: Apparently the shuffling on Agnes's parallel ability is a may ability so a slightly less hard decision to sacrifice health for Dark Memory. A little disappointing since that would have been an interesting and difficult decision each time, but still neat.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 3, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Would be nice to play Agnes without having to take Carolyn.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have extra sets of the base game encounter cards they're looking to get rid of? Would prefer to pick someone's extras up rather than buying full new core sets and wasting the player cards.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have extra sets of the base game encounter cards they're looking to get rid of? Would prefer to pick someone's extras up rather than buying full new core sets and wasting the player cards.

My play group bought at least two full core sets and I'm pretty sure we've never touched the second set of encounter/mythos cards.

Let me verify that and I'll get back to you.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Two Litas are more likely to be found than one!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

My play group bought at least two full core sets and I'm pretty sure we've never touched the second set of encounter/mythos cards.

Let me verify that and I'll get back to you.

Much appreciated!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

So we did the first three parts of TIC with Silas, Amanda, and sister Mary. We survived every scenario, with Amanda being defeated in scenario three although we finish it probably 10 turns earlier than we needed to.

Completing it again with Tommy/Daisy/Sefina And we nearly gone perfect on each part. A little for knowledge can be a drat good thing, but I never imagined that Tommy was such a good character because I only played him in duo. In three players he can take a whole parties worth of damage, and with the Black cat cure it. Amazing.

We completed scenario four with 7 damage among us. That’s out of a possible 32, and we started with trauma. The combination of the Black cat, Wish Bringer, and solemn vow may not do a lot of damage, but it can take wallops and keep on ticking.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

BRB making an incredibly stupid deck based on Paradoxical covenant.

It’s almost 2 months later but blessing of night and Day make this viable.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
How do folks feel about the bless and curse tokens and the cards that interact with them? I've been on an Arkham break so haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They just previewed two cards that make them extremely viable. Before, they were hit or miss unless you were playing blessed survivor, which was extremely effective for very little xp.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Just finished up a four player Return to the Path of Carcosa on hard difficulty where I liberally played Deep Knowledge.

10/10, would add curses to the chaos bag for free card draw again.

Edit:

We started up Return to Forgotten Age on hard and lost the first scenario twice. Each attempt we drew 5 or more Ancient Evils, severely reducing the amount of time we had. I hate that card so much.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 21, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You should probably replace those with the card that lets you take ancient evil or draw two cards.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm just glad Return didn't have "Ancient Evils or you're Poisoned". Though that would be fully in character for that campaign. You can also try the houserule of playing them as Victory 0 cards, or maybe even play it as "Ancient Evils or Vengeance 1" which might actually be an interesting choice.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Omnicrom posted:

I'm just glad Return didn't have "Ancient Evils or you're Poisoned". Though that would be fully in character for that campaign. You can also try the houserule of playing them as Victory 0 cards, or maybe even play it as "Ancient Evils or Vengeance 1" which might actually be an interesting choice.

Yeah, I was baffled that they didn't include a new alternative to Ancient Evils, especially considering how poorly balanced the card is in the first scenario with a large group.

Since you reshuffle the encounter deck fairly early it feels like you could lose the first scenario in 4 player even if every token drawn was an elder sign. We lost our first attempt before advancing the first act and we've played FA before and had an idea of what to expect.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 21, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Maybe they expect people to play it from the core box? The improved evils are dunn specific.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

The new exploration rules do wonders to make the experience better, it's no longer "welcome to the Forgotten Age, now get kicked in the teeth for a while before we let you play Arkham Horror". It also makes more sense that the exploration gets harder and more dangerous as you progress.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

LupusAter posted:

The new exploration rules do wonders to make the experience better, it's no longer "welcome to the Forgotten Age, now get kicked in the teeth for a while before we let you play Arkham Horror". It also makes more sense that the exploration gets harder and more dangerous as you progress.

What are the new exploration rules? I'm going through Forgotten Age now and we're on like the 4th? scenario.

It's the one where you're in modern day Mexico but then need to explore to go into the past to flip locations and get clues. Exploration seemed super RNG, especially because of that one treachery that gets harder and get shuffled back in.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The new exploration rules are that you start with the exploration deck clean of any treacheries, and then after each successful exploration shuffle the top card of the encounter deck into the exploration one.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

OGS-Remix posted:

What are the new exploration rules? I'm going through Forgotten Age now and we're on like the 4th? scenario.

It's the one where you're in modern day Mexico but then need to explore to go into the past to flip locations and get clues. Exploration seemed super RNG, especially because of that one treachery that gets harder and get shuffled back in.

This and the follow scenario are like 2 in the top 5 worst scenarios in the entire game. (Up there with Devourer Below or pre-fix 'climb a hill good luck if you can't investigate')

If you skip both you'll probably be better off tbh

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I haven't had the chance to play for months but I'll be doing a 3-player campaign over Xmas, either Return to TFA or Dream-Eaters, and I'll be playing Guardian. I really want to try Nathaniel Cho but I don't know if there's enough non-weapon damage support in the game yet for multiplayer. My fallback will probably be a Flamethrowing Nun build but I'm curious about any up-to-date Cho/Mary decks anyone has tried.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Our in person group is coming up on a year of no gaming soon. We have had no time away from work (same esteemed employer) and that's slowly shifting now. What's a good way to play on line?

I've had to GM the whole group as it's my collection and blingy stuff. On line might be a chance to get us into Carcosa by Groundhog Day. Or even add a 4th player since we're now virtual.
They've gone through two campaigns Rougarou, Carnevale, and Guardians of the Abyss. We're ready to ride bikes now and get investigators Final Destinationed.

IP shouldn't be an issue. I have everything released to date except for Labyrinths of Lunacy, the novels, and the parallel investigators.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Online is where it’s at.

TFA doesn’t do swarms of foes, so if you have a way to deal with keeping monsters from the Victory pile, like mind blank, Nathan is perfectly good. Otherwise Leo is good at throwing bodies at problems. I bring handcuffs for stubborn cultists, should save you a lot of doom.

Online is so much more convenient than playing in person. No clean up, no limited list of cards, and the ability to import decks, draw all over the board, super fun.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've had good luck with Table Top Simulator for other board games and I've heard the arkham horror module works well.

It has a bit of a learning curve as you figure out how to control the board but it's not too bad.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Nathanial is definitely capable of doing absurd amounts of damage. One-two punch (5) by itself is five damage. He can also pull of some fun out-of turn tricks with Counterpunch and the upgraded Get over Here.
The fact that he has two agility would make things a bit dicey in TFA but he was great at in TDE..

Mark Harrigan with a flamethrower is still probably still better but that weapon is pretty busted.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah, the current meta gave it plus 2XP in cost.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
In TFA the sooner you can do 3 damage in 1 action the happier you will be. So many 3HP enemies.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

How do folks feel about the bless and curse tokens and the cards that interact with them? I've been on an Arkham break so haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet.

Some of the lvl 0 stuff is really strong (Faustian Bargain, Promise of Power, Deep Knowledge) but I'm not sure if anything else is really worth the effort. Bless tokens are kinda underwhelming, or they have been for our group at least.

KPC_Mammon posted:

We started up Return to Forgotten Age on hard and lost the first scenario twice. Each attempt we drew 5 or more Ancient Evils, severely reducing the amount of time we had. I hate that card so much.

It's funny that same thing happened to us on our last playthrough of Return to Forgotten Age. No idea why they didn't replace that in the Return box. It's such a terribly designed card.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Kalko posted:

I haven't had the chance to play for months but I'll be doing a 3-player campaign over Xmas, either Return to TFA or Dream-Eaters, and I'll be playing Guardian. I really want to try Nathaniel Cho but I don't know if there's enough non-weapon damage support in the game yet for multiplayer. My fallback will probably be a Flamethrowing Nun build but I'm curious about any up-to-date Cho/Mary decks anyone has tried.

We just did 4 player Hard mode Circle Undone with Cho as the main fighter. In our discussion after, the guy playing him said he thought the damage was fine for the most part but he does basically nothing else but fight. Which may not be a particular problem for you but the dude in our group playing him said he didn't really like it. Most of your xp ends up going to doing damage better and keeping your consistency up. That said I often end up being our groups primary fighter since most the other players don't seem to favor just killing/handling monsters so if you're fine with that role it's not really a downside imo.

As for builds, IMO (and from our groups discussion) basically you're gonna need boxing gloves, so your other decision is gonna be if you want to run any backup weapons. Backup weapons obviously make you more reliable when you're lacking attack cards (or if you go Survival Knives, you get a bit of action economy) but you also have to dilute your actions and need bandolier. Not sure which is more effective but I think either can work.

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah, the current meta gave it plus 2XP in cost.

I believe Flamethrower only got 1xp more in the taboo list. But that said for large groups I still think timeworn brand is as good. Ammo is just really clunky and resource intensive (in terms of xp, cards, and in-game resources). Honestly I think the top 3 monster handling dudes are all non-guardians at this point (Yorrick, Silas, and Tony).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Silas’s options for handling monster begins and ends with chainsaw. He can’t afford waylay reliably, and his harpoon requires a continual skill card injection.

His ability to use skill cards more effectively means he is a great generalist. And he’s up there with Wendy in terms of people who can do a great agility tanking, and supplemental fighting. But:

Zoey’s ability to defeat small enemies is better. With taunt, the signature allies from the Egyptian stand alone module, or the new level two guard dog, as well as righteous hunt, she can zoom around the map and grab every single enemy that’s going spawn.

Roland can kill just as well as Silas, with access to big ticket guns, Reliable, Magic swords for horror healing, and fun movement tech. (Shortcut 2 can be put on sick to the plan. So can dynamite blast in all its variations, which survivor doesn’t have an answer for.)

He can also grab clues innately. That’s important with two players but with three+ you can let him sit on a location and go on the hunt.

Leo is the master of big guns, being able to play contraband and swift reload on himself along with venturers. Nobody’s better with a flamethrower.

Mark has a few fun combos, I might put his utility below Silas... but practice makes perfect is a tactic, which means he can play his signature card twice beard is the only one who is useful to take relentless, because every time he uses it, he gets to draw a card from his ability. If you’re with Harvey, and he’s using the forbidden tome that moves damage from a player card to an enemy, Mark can be a secondary whatever the hell you need.

I’ve probably said this up thread, but Tommy is the best guardian at keeping the party alive. Solemn vow, wish eater, and the black cat. Your allies can do whatever, come to your square every so often and heal themselves for two (once before upkeep, once after) while you get more bullets and money.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 24, 2020

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I should've added the caveat that I was discussing 3+ players. That's what my group tends to be so that's mainly my focus, and I know at lower player counts other options become more/less viable (basically all the ammo/charge weapons are much better at lower player counts). Also I don't think that the fighter guardians are necessarily bad (besides Tommy), but I think it's more an issue with the guardian cardpool not offering much.

I still don't understand the fascination with chainsaw. Silas gets timeworn brand and goes to town. He's also got an ally now that adds to his fight. Track shoes give him huge mobility as well as the option to fight or evade depending on the situation. I also think he's able to get up and running quicker than other fighters, both in resource and xp costs. I just think his stats, combined with all the cool survivor tricks are better than what guardian can offer. Honestly I'm starting to think Leo may be the best of the gaurdians just because his rogue cardpool access..

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

“Low XP to get started…” Also, a five cost, 5 XP weapon, that presumably you want two of, because you can’t get it back with the resourceful. And with a will save of two, if the encounter deck wants you get rid of it, you probably will.

(I found that he couldn’t be the main fighter in an Amanda/Mary/Silas party).

If I were to build Silas, I would wait until TIC comes out, because all the cards are designed around him with Calvin getting some side benefits. I would probably go with nautical prowess, because it’s better and more reliable than the harpoon, although the net is pretty nifty.

In multiplayer, he can have some fun with stunning blow. Baseball bat would also be a good fit. But I’d rather have Stella in a similar role, with oops and pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Once they grab Eucatastrophe, Silas and Yorick will never ever miss an important test. That kind of reliability is huge and is a pretty good argument for them being among the best monster handlers. Survivor recursion tricks also mean that Silas can squeeze a lot of mileage out of Brute Force.