Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Magu chan was bloody sweet. :unsmith:

Agravity boys: The word penis has lost all meaning to me. This is basically the author taking a script of a generic shounen en replacing all mentions of the plotspecific power with the word penis. And it's stupid that I still find it amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
First PV for the upcoming Shaman King anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGVohrzDabI
Only thing I have to comment on is that Yoh's eyes look a bit off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Brought To You By posted:

First PV for the upcoming Shaman King anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGVohrzDabI
Only thing I have to comment on is that Yoh's eyes look a bit off.

It's much more of Takei's current art style

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It looks like a slightly upscaled version of the old anime to me (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing)

From what I’ve heard, most of the actors from the previous series have returned for this (including Megumi Hayashibara as Anna) except Yoh himself who is now played by Yōko Hikasa

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I feel Medaka Box is not sufficiently appreciated.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chumbler posted:

I feel Medaka Box is not sufficiently appreciated.

It owns.

It was such a fun read every week.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
those scanlators were true heroes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

those scanlators were true heroes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I remember those 6 pages and actually reading through all the legible skills. RIP those typesetters, translators, and quality controllers because Ajimu is like the most unfun character to have to deal with

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

God her entire villain arc was so dumb and fun.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ent-act/.167765

quote:

The Tokyo District Court handed a guilty verdict and sentence to act-age manga writer Tatsuya Matsuki on the charge of committing an coerced indecent act on a female middle school student on Wednesday. Matsuki is sentenced to one year and six months in prison, but the sentence is suspended for three years. (If Matsuki remains in good behavior for three years, he will not serve time in prison.)

Matsuki was indicted for the second of two coerced indecent acts that he allegedly committed on June 18. The prosecutor's office did not indict Matsuki for the first incident, which reportedly occurred on June 18 at around 8:00 p.m. (an hour before the second incident.) Matsuki admitted to the charge in November. The prosecution had sought a 18-month prison sentence without suspension, while defense had sought a suspended sentence, arguing that the defendant had received punishment in society such as the cancellation of his manga series.

look just don't touch a pre-teen on camera and we'll call it even. I mean you did lose your manga.

lol legal systems.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anshin-in still alive. I believe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The anime stopped right before the manga got really good too.

I might re-read it one of these days.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexo posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ent-act/.167765

look just don't touch a pre-teen on camera and we'll call it even. I mean you did lose your manga.

lol legal systems.

The only message this sends is "don't get caught next time"

and in the version of reality where he had some weed on him he'd be sent straight to maximum security

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Kumagawa might still be my favourite shounen jump character ever.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Medaka Box was nuts in the best way. Was it meant to be that crazy from day one or did it just steadily transition as the author/editor realised it wasn't going to grab that Haruhi fanbase?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will always respect that her love interest had to pick one super power to counter her, and the super power he picked was "Stupid manga bullshit doesn't happen".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Agravity Boys rumor is that it's going to be ending in the next issue. Seems like it's just a rumor at this point but wouldn't be super surprising. The penis arc is funny but still sour after Agravity Girls.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Agravity Boys rumor is that it's going to be ending in the next issue. Seems like it's just a rumor at this point but wouldn't be super surprising. The penis arc is funny but still sour after Agravity Girls.

I keep expecting it to end every week. Yet they got a color page a few weeks ago? It’s like one of the main editors at Jump has a soft spot for it or something. However they did seem to shift into gear with the recent Agravity Mining Corp and time machine purchase.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Chapter 36 of Ragna Crimson
Interesting the mind controlling effect of Artemesia's blood can be this shaken. I don't think every member of the bloodline of wings could be swayed to this degree, Ortho seems an incredibly fringe case of persnality and having a remnant of his own history confronting him, but I wonder just how far this change of mind can be stretched before either he breaks or the control over him does.

Also, Starlia looked quite a bit like Tatsumaki from Onepunch man in this chapter with her feats of psychokinesis

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I have no idea what's going on with the giant tree...dragon? that chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

I have no idea what's going on with the giant tree...dragon? that chapter.

The arm dragon's previous title of "Forest Sea" is starting to make sense. Given we never got word of his unique magic I'd assume he's the one responsible for the Crawling trees in the first place.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Jujutsu Kaisen manga really needs its own thread.

Random thoughts about Jujutsu Kaisen:

Sukuna is different from a lot of "inner demon" characters (Kurama the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox, Hollow Ichigo/Zangetsu, Liebe from Black Clover, etc.) in actually being a villain with his own agenda; it's hard to imagine him getting any kind of redemption, and he actually causes problems beyond cheap "Oh no, I hurt (but didn't kill) my friends" angst. He straight up kills a bunch of innocent people in the Shibuya arc, and he seems to be setting up some kind of plan for either escaping from Itadori's body or permanently taking it over. Part of the reason that's possible, in a narrative sense, is because he's clearly a separate person from Itadori. Hollow Ichigo or Old Man Zangetsu killing an innocent person would mean, on some level, Ichigo killing an innocent person. Even with Naruto, there's some seeming blurring of personalities when he gets angry enough.

I'm not the first person to say this, but the manga suffers from overly abrupt transitions sometimes, where you have to double-check to be sure you didn't miss a chapter.

Watching the anime has made me realize that I misread some of the characters when reading the manga. Nobara in particular is surprisingly goofy, while I'd somehow gotten the impression of her as being more serious, and she gets over her self-absorbed attitude more quickly than I'd remembered.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Silver2195 posted:

Feel free to make one.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone still reading Phantom Seer? I haven't checked in on it since like ch 10, is it worth catching up on?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Anyone still reading Phantom Seer? I haven't checked in on it since like ch 10, is it worth catching up on?

I enjoy it. The Art is great. And it's starting to move a bit more.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I read it. Like Dexo said the art is good. Beyond that uh...it's pretty inoffensive.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

phantom seer is perfectly okay shonen. nothing special but I don't mind keeping up with it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah I read both Yozakura Family and Phantom Seer and they both fill the like same purpose that like Reborn! did when it was good(dear god Late Reborn went bad). Nothing spectacular but some Shonen with good art, and some fun characters, doing stuff every week.

Like if you are really time crunched you aren't going to like be missing out on anything. But it's also like a 5 minute read once a week.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've enjoyed the additions to the cast and they're giving the female lead some sensible participation in battles

it definitely hasn't hit the turnover point into super good like other recent-ish series have (Unluck, Kaiju 8 etc), but the art is great and i especially like the newest arc's character who i hope they aren't setting up to die lol :downs:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Random thoughts about Jujutsu Kaisen:

Sukuna is different from a lot of "inner demon" characters (Kurama the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox, Hollow Ichigo/Zangetsu, Liebe from Black Clover, etc.) in actually being a villain with his own agenda; it's hard to imagine him getting any kind of redemption, and he actually causes problems beyond cheap "Oh no, I hurt (but didn't kill) my friends" angst. He straight up kills a bunch of innocent people in the Shibuya arc, and he seems to be setting up some kind of plan for either escaping from Itadori's body or permanently taking it over. Part of the reason that's possible, in a narrative sense, is because he's clearly a separate person from Itadori. Hollow Ichigo or Old Man Zangetsu killing an innocent person would mean, on some level, Ichigo killing an innocent person. Even with Naruto, there's some seeming blurring of personalities when he gets angry enough.
Another big difference is simply how Sukuna never appears when it's convenient for Yuji. Whereas Kurama and Hollow Ichigo will take over to help pull their respective host out of a sticky situation; Yuji has outright been mocked for asking for help and Sukuna is very consistent in not caring what happens to Yuji at any point. I really do get the feeling he was just going to roll over and die in the aftermath of the Choze duel but then Yuji's power of friendship activated and spared him long enough to Jogo and the sisters to cram all those fingers into him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/D_Kumii/status/1345436628467200002?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yikes

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what a way to start the year

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Am I the only one dumb enough to have just assumed jujutsu kaisen was a martial arts manga

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nrook posted:

Am I the only one dumb enough to have just assumed jujutsu kaisen was a martial arts manga

Yeah it's because Japan's spelling system. For the martial art it's Yielding-Technique, for JJK it's Curse-Technique which can also be translated as Sorcery. So Jujutsu Kaisen's title is Sorcery War.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
The new chapter is pretty great. Whatever denjis innate ability rocks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

New Promised Neverland pilot was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

5 counts of possession and distribution yeah. At least it's not that big of a deal for the franchise to replace one translator with another, even if it might affect the style and tone of the translation .