Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Goes Wrong Show is a goddamn masterpiece, and I love the gradual escalation from "lets pretend we're putting our actors through awful bulshit" into "lets actually put our actors through awful bullshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I love PJDN too, in my mind it was a bit older than the other stuff I listed because it went on for quite a while before ending. I like to think the movie can live outside of the series itself, was genuinely sad it got delayed due to Covid. Detectorists I need to watch more of, I keep forgetting to. I always need a good few episodes for something to get its hooks in me.

Has a fantastically beautiful and sad theme music to it.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

tsob posted:

The latest episode with Richard on as the winner, had them saying that as far as they're aware, Catherine had never seen the show.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit disrespectful? Like I'm being paid to be in this massive show that has been going for 10 series, won't bother watching an episode though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Throwing some love for Year of the Rabbit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Every so often you see a celeb autobiography where they talk about accepting a major place, part or role without having any real idea about the show.

People blatantly do it with spots on panel shows all the time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The_Doctor posted:

Throwing some love for Year of the Rabbit.

It was alright, but I feel somehow What We Do In The Shadows upstaged without even intending to do so.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fatty posted:

Am I the only one who finds this a bit disrespectful? Like I'm being paid to be in this massive show that has been going for 10 series, won't bother watching an episode though.

I doubt you are alone, but I don't share the sentiment personally, at least partially because I'm sure some people would prefer to go in to a competition blind and with no preset expectations to color their actions. In the same podcast episode, the guest said they thought that it'd probably have served better to not have seen it before, because they were constantly on the look out for certain little tricks the show had pulled before and never found any, so it ended up wasting time and that they tended to over-think tasks because they were aware of what the show was like. Catherine's assumptions ended up biting her in the rear end, but another person unfamiliar with the show might have made helpful assumptions by the same measure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fatty posted:

A job's a job, and she doesn't owe anything outside what's in the contract. I don't find it disrespectful when someone doesn't research a company they're applying to work for - it's probably a good idea though in most situations.

And her not knowing much about the show led to some of the funnier moments so I doubt anyone on the production side minded.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

This is as good a place as any to ask since it's come up, but what does the title People Just Do Nothing mean? Like, is it garage MC slang?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find a lot of people in the industry don’t watch a lot of TV, it’s understandable as you likely want a break after spending hours writing, producing etc. Its also a reason that reality tv was so heavily spoofed, because comedy people would watch those shows rather than the current sitcoms airing.

As for PJDN, I’m not sure where the name came from but I have a vague memory of it being in a line in an early episode? I do like how legit they are with regards to references etc though.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

stev posted:

A job's a job, and she doesn't owe anything outside what's in the contract. I don't find it disrespectful when someone doesn't research a company they're applying to work for - it's probably a good idea though in most situations.

I think it's more that every jobbing comedian in the country would give their eyeteeth to be on Taskmaster, and she's done it because her agents told her to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they need at least one fresh-from-the-fringe relative unknown type and one non-stand-up per series. Just for variety and novelty.

Also might keep Alex and Greg from being able to predict their reactions and behaviour. The utterly baffled looks are a big part of it.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

This is as good a place as any to ask since it's come up, but what does the title People Just Do Nothing mean? Like, is it garage MC slang?

I don't think it really means anything. It's just a statement

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watching the upstart crow lockdown special. I'm not sure there's been an actual joke yet, just restatement of the events we all lived through.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 21, 2020

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
David Mitchell gave up on jokes years ago, preferring to just state the obvious in That loving Voice.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Can anyone give me a quick list of the current not-well-known outside of the UK TV worth watching, other than loving Taskmaster, GBBO and the Crown?

Us expats loose this connection kind of quickly

Watch this, it's ace. Probably my favourite of the last year, and it has flown under the radar of many...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m0009qm4/guilt

Also, pretty much any Storyville. The recent one about the Russian ice hockey team was rad as gently caress.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mfx6/storyville

Boatface Undestroys the World is also fantastic...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p06qgq7t/blindboy-undestroys-the-world

Someone else mentioned Out of Her Mind, This Way Up and Ghosts which are all top drawer as gently caress.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 22, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was so on the nose it wasn't even making the jump towards satire. It was just a review of the year's events, delivered in a cod Shakespeare voice, to a laugh track that made my scalp itch.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It took me a few episodes to get into Ghosts because it definitely has that 'childrens tv' feel to it (for obvious reasons) but it really grew on me and I'd definitely second that suggestion.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I was surprised by how many people write it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, i think i've twigged for how to make Christmas TV more bearable.

At first i thought it was about christmas films, but i burned through those pretty quickly and there's only about 20 really good ones. Then i thought i'd try christmas TV specials of shows, like the typical christmas episodes you get on all american TV shows.

There's more of them but in the end they get kinda stale.

The answer? It's not an overabundance of christma themed shows, no, it's nostalgia!

So now i've got a backlog of films like The Goonies, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Groundhog Day, Toy Story, Uncle Buck and more.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kin posted:

So, i think i've twigged for how to make Christmas TV more bearable.

At first i thought it was about christmas films, but i burned through those pretty quickly and there's only about 20 really good ones. Then i thought i'd try christmas TV specials of shows, like the typical christmas episodes you get on all american TV shows.

There's more of them but in the end they get kinda stale.

The answer? It's not an overabundance of christma themed shows, no, it's nostalgia!

So now i've got a backlog of films like The Goonies, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Groundhog Day, Toy Story, Uncle Buck and more.

Things with John Candy / Bill Murray / Rick Moranis then. Maybe add in Steve Martin & Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor & pre-fatsuit Eddie Murphy.

I’m amazed you can think of 20 good Christmas movies, I’d struggle with 3. If you include Die Hard.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there good Christmas horror films other than Krampus?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

goatface posted:

Not British, but Dead End (2003).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wooger posted:

I’m amazed you can think of 20 good Christmas movies, I’d struggle with 3. If you include Die Hard.

Gremlins, Elf, Scrooged, Bad Santa, A Christmas Story, Edward Scissorhands, Christmas Vacation, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Muppets Christmas Carol, Polar Express, Dial Code Santa Claus, Trading Places, Christmas Evil, Rare Exports, Miracle on 34th St, Die Hard 2... I think the others I enjoy would be hard to classify as 'good', though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

goatface posted:

Black Christmas
Dial Code Santa Claus
Gremlins

These aren't really horror, but also:

The Silent Partner
Cash on Demand

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Browsing through Prime Video the other day, they have an insane number of Christmas films that I think never even made it across from the US before. Real trashy stuff, starring people you've never heard of (a lot of whom for no particular reason I'm assuming are pop country singers). There's obviously a real production line over there, almost like hammer horrors back in the day.

So if you want poo poo Christmas films then Bezos has you covered.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Had an argument on the Christmas work quiz last week because the "Christmas Films" round included Groundhog Day.

Which is bullshit.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

wooger posted:

Things with John Candy / Bill Murray / Rick Moranis then. Maybe add in Steve Martin & Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor & pre-fatsuit Eddie Murphy.

Yeah, i basically went for the feel good family classics. Home alone kinda fits in that space and i just branched out from there.

There are actually a bunch of good christmas films. Even things like The Santa Clause are quite enjoyable. The problem is that i found out we were getting too hung up on the films/TV all needing a Christmas theme.

Thinking back to when christmas TV was "good", there were some christmas themed things but a lot of it felt good because there were just good films and stuff on TV in general.

Now it's mainly cookery shows, or christmas/celebrity versions of poo poo like the chase. Filmwise it's a bit tricky to say as i don't really come across many on Freeview, but i think they slant towards the animated pixar variety these days.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Gone Wrong Show's Nativity Play is on iPlayer if anyone enjoys that kind of daft humour (I loving loved it)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

Browsing through Prime Video the other day, they have an insane number of Christmas films that I think never even made it across from the US before. Real trashy stuff, starring people you've never heard of (a lot of whom for no particular reason I'm assuming are pop country singers). There's obviously a real production line over there, almost like hammer horrors back in the day.

So if you want poo poo Christmas films then Bezos has you covered.

Bizarrely enough Hallmark (the greetings card company) has really cornered the market for lovely American cheesefest Christmas movies. According to IMDB there are 174 of them and each and every one of them is fully awful.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

Bizarrely enough Hallmark (the greetings card company) has really cornered the market for lovely American cheesefest Christmas movies. According to IMDB there are 174 of them and each and every one of them is fully awful.

And my god do they have a formula for the posters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stev posted:

I started watching this years batch with the aim of doing formulaic reviews for each one, but fell well behind. I have 37 left to go and dammit I'm going to complete my task before Xmas. 2021.

Lifetime also joined in the fray, so there's even more than usual.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Whitehouse and Mortimer Gone Fishing is pretty nice. Very big The Trip vibe but less staged. It’s like getting a big hug from an overweight grandma.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bogmonster posted:

Had an argument on the Christmas work quiz last week because the "Christmas Films" round included Groundhog Day.

Which is bullshit.

That’s explicitly a Feb 2nd film, why would they think that? I can only assume someone mixed it up with Scrooged.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm guessing the fact there's romance involved in a place that is snowed in basically ticked someone's box for "Christmas story" and they left it at that.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tsob posted:

I'm guessing the fact there's romance involved in a place that is snowed in basically ticked someone's box for "Christmas story" and they left it at that.

The quiz probably didn't have a separate section for groundhog day themed films, the idiots

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
The quiz probably didn't have a separate section for groundhog day themed films, the idiots

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Doesn't look like there's a Year in the Life of a Year this year. Only seen last year's one, which took me by surprise when it was on. The Paddington mash-up won me over.

Let's remember Channel 5's Radiator Bleeding with Christopher Ecclestone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLjk_ztWVg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I miss the Jack Docherty Show. I went to a few of the recordings and it was all delightfully ramshackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

stev posted:

Channel 5 seems to show a lot of these starting around mid-November. The acting can be so bad that they have comedy value for about 3 or 4 minutes