Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

bessantj posted:

There were a few people in this thread that worked hard for Labour, can't see that happening again.

I was out from 9am to 10pm on election Day and ruined a pair of shoes in the pissing rain trying to get a Labour victory.

All for my colleagues to talk about how the Labour left isn't interested in winning when their entire political activity is just crossing a box every 5 years.

Boils my piss.

EDIT: 131 is no where near the number of times I've been told "the left are professional protesters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1341673886748991488?s=20

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of stats and choices and stuff, Hbomb has a new video out on New Vegas, which is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzF7aHxk4Y4

I never really played it back in the day as I was burned out by Fallout 3, so I might have to give it a go one of these days.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Thanks for the advice, I’ve decided to try and play myself and put all my points into lies, drugs, and physical ineptitude. Loving it so far!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sanford posted:

Our local country park has taken 25 years to turn from a former opencast site to a massively diverse habitat used by hundreds of people every day. Now it's getting a "northern spur" rammed through the middle of it. This year has led to lots of people discovering the great countryside around us just in time to see it destroyed.

Just about to start Disco Elysium after hearing you guys talk about it; is there anything I should know before I begin? I'm just thinking of Planescape: Torment and the whole "put your points in Wisdom/Intelligence or you'll miss half the game" thing. Thanks to whoever pointed out you could get it for a tenner from Epic Games!

On Day 2, if you don't pay for your motel room you can soft lock the game. You have the entire day to come up with the money so it shouldn't be a big deal, just don't go buying expensive stuff while that bill's still outstanding.

There's a few other minor bits and bobs:
Your health is split into two parts, actual health and morale, which are equivalent to your Endurance and Volition stats. I'd recommend not starting with either of those stats at 1.
Any check that's highlighted in white you can retry either by raising a stat or by lots of other means. There are several white checks where failure unlocks new stuff, so even if a check says you've got a 3% chance of success, it might be worth trying anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Thanks for the advice, I’ve decided to try and play myself and put all my points into lies, drugs, and physical ineptitude. Loving it so far!

I tried playing an idealised version of myself and it just mutated into my actual failure self. It was beautiful.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

Is there a way to create a new high-speed rail service in the UK that doesn't destroy irreplaceable ancient forests?
Elon Musk just got inexplicably erect

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can you actually play disco elysium as a fascist?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Points in conceptulisation, electrochemistry, shivers.

TACD posted:

Elon Musk just got inexplicably erect
https://www.mining.com/cornish-lithium-finds-globally-significant-grades-in-uk-project/

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jose posted:

I’m still on the character creation screen but it looks like it. You can put points into authority, and how much you love cops.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Considering Wales part of England? Should be fine in the Lords. Also here is his magnum opus

quote:

It’s 24 June, 2025, and Britain is marking its annual Independence Day celebration. As the fireworks stream through the summer sky, still not quite dark, we wonder why it took us so long to leave. The years that followed the 2016 referendum didn’t just reinvigorate our economy, our democracy and our liberty. They improved relations with our neighbours.

The United Kingdom is now the region’s foremost knowledge-based economy. We lead the world in biotech, law, education, the audio-visual sector, financial services and software. New industries, from 3D printing to driverless cars, have sprung up around the country. Older industries, too, have revived as energy prices have fallen back to global levels: steel, cement, paper, plastics and ceramics producers have become competitive again.

The EU, meanwhile, continues to turn inwards, clinging to its dream of political amalgamation as the euro and migration crises worsen. Its population is ageing, its share of world GDP shrinking and its peoples protesting. “We have the most comprehensive workers’ rights in the world”, complains Jean-Claude Juncker, who has recently begun in his second term as President of the European Federation, “but we have fewer and fewer workers”.

The last thing most EU leaders wanted, once the shock had worn off, was a protracted argument with the United Kingdom which, on the day it left, became their single biggest market. Terms were agreed easily enough. Britain withdrew from the EU’s political structures and institutions, but kept its tariff-free arrangements in place. The rights of EU nationals living in the UK were confirmed, and various reciprocal deals on healthcare and the like remained. For the sake of administrative convenience, Brexit took effect formally on 1 July 2019, to coincide with the mandates of a new European Parliament and Commission.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of stats and choices and stuff, Hbomb has a new video out on New Vegas, which is also great.

I never really played it back in the day as I was burned out by Fallout 3, so I might have to give it a go one of these days.

NV is a fantastic game. If you haven't played it I'd recommend not watching the video until you've given it a try since it goes into a lot of detail about the more interesting parts of the game.

I'm not sure if I could ever go back and play it again though, after Fallout 4 I'm incredibly burned out on the whole aesthetic. Looking back I really wish Bethesda didn't get the rights to the series - the only worthwhile thing they've done with it in 15 years is letting Obsidian make New Vegas.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
^^ yet another game i haven't played yet and really must get around to

Sanford posted:

Thanks to whoever pointed out you could get it for a tenner from Epic Games!
ooh, good catch! bought

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Play whatever, embrace failure.
a good philosophy for life, i feel

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

daniel hannan has said he hates the nhs because its marxist and needs destroying

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Yeah you can lean into fascism and racism. There will be hints at how much of a bellend you are and how your thinking is full of contradictions but you can totally play it.

Before anyone worries it's a very focused story so you don't get to actually do anything really vile. It's more the dumb thoughts that you'll come up with. You might get some specific dialogue when talking to one of the more racist/fascist characters.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK immigration policy 2021: You can put points into fascism and racism.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why the gently caress does anyone care what he thinks most of the time but especially about this

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1341693719439953921?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I saw that and my take away was he's really mad that vulnerable people are going to get it first and wants to gently caress everything up by wasting all our reserves by giving everyone one dose. Also first paragraph states how we 'now know nothing can stop the spread' as if we really tried. Motherfucker we're here because of capitalism. Goddamnn getting mad at tonty blare in 2020.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jose posted:

You can, but if you fully subscribe to fascist ideology you start taking morale damage every time you say something racist, and the majority of people in the union-run commune the game is set in react with either veiled or open disgust.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Note that the game's view of fascism is utterly withering, especially when you choose to play as one.

ed: ^^^ Yeah that, and the racist characters you meet are shown to be utterly pathetic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

You can, but if you fully subscribe to fascist ideology you start taking morale damage every time you say something racist

In my experience this is quite unrealistic.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Tequila Sunset is a very emotionally complex individual. Even when racist.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

bessantj posted:

Considering Wales part of England? Should be fine in the Lords. Also here is his magnum opus

Absolutely amazing that the "optimum" outcome he could come up with was a soft brexit that left us exactly the same except we no longer get a say in anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Follow my twitter about how it's not realistic that I can't play as a non-pathetic fascist as my car soars over an apartment block.

Jose posted:

why the gently caress does anyone care what he thinks most of the time but especially about this

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1341693719439953921?s=20
Eminent virologist A. C. Lynton Blair. Has he said anything about how the higher deaths in BAME communities are down to 'black culture' yet?

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
e:f;b, spent too long getting mad about libel law

Don't worry guys, in between solving the Middle Easts problems and rewriting the Kama Sutra, Tony's here with his biochemistry lesson:

Coronavirus: Vaccinate more people with one dose, urges Tony Blair

quote:

Ex-PM Tony Blair is urging the government to give as many people as possible an initial dose of a Covid vaccine - rather than preserving stocks so there is enough for second jabs.
...Mr Blair says his idea would speed up the vaccine programme so the country could come out of lockdown sooner....The two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine are administered around 21 days apart.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Blair said that although "you really need the two doses… the first dose gives you substantial immunity"..."You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose," he said.

What happens when you multiply percentages might not be Tony's strong point, but luckily he's got ID CARDS to solve it!

quote:

Mr Blair's suggestion was part of a seven-point plan he has drawn up, which also includes a plea to the government to start preparing "health passports". He also said it was important to "have the best data systems in the world available to us". "Collecting this data in one place, with one patient record, is going to be absolutely vital - testing, vaccinations, every single thing to do with the development of this disease," he added. "You need to record every single piece of data you can lay your hands on because we will be adjusting our vaccination programme as we go - we may even have to adjust the vaccine itself."

"leaders in the law" how on Earth could we lead in the rest of the worlds law? Two Russians disputing the ownership of a Siberian steel mine in a London high court isn't a demonstration of leadership or sensible jurisdiction, and if a High Court in a developing country had made an order against the entire world, about a TV personality's nude photos, it'd rightly be in the "and in other news" section.
It does make me wonder, has anyone hosted a site overseas that lists the actual details of each injunction? How realistically would they get caught/sued if they just paid their tenner to a privacy oriented webhosting service?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the absolute gently caress is totny blair's deal with loving databases, is his entire schtick that he just loving loves ms access?

Does he wank himself raw at night looking at pages of VBA? Does he make cherie recite SQL queries at him?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why is he even drawing up seven point plans about anything? Does he think Johnson is going to adopt his plans?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's the "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" bullshit, computers will run the world at maximum liberal efficiency if only we can get the data and the metrics in line. Tonty Blair apparently completely unaware that the decades-long IT fuckups initiated under his government are only just being even slightly patched over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I entirely believe that blair sits in an underground lair and draws up plans for fun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What the absolute gently caress is totny blair's deal with loving databases, is his entire schtick that he just loving loves ms access?

Does he wank himself raw at night looking at pages of VBA? Does he make cherie recite SQL queries at him?
Spoiler: the 'databases' are all in 16-bit MS Excel

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

josh04 posted:

It's the "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" bullshit, computers will run the world at maximum liberal efficiency if only we can get the data and the metrics in line. Tonty Blair apparently completely unaware that the decades-long IT fuckups initiated under his government are only just being even slightly patched over.

Communism with technocratic characteristics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just wait til you meet Sunday Friend

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't get it, they cancelled their TV license, probably due to BBC stuff with JKR.

Cancelled mine a few months ago, started getting their love notes.... which go straight into the recycle bin. :homebrew:

edit: Epic Games is giving Tropico 5 away for free in a few hours time, gonna give it a go as a nice change from the lack of sunlight we have atm.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 23, 2020

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

New Vegas is great, I didn't play it until years after release because I thought it would be Fallout 3 in the desert, but there's a lot more to it than 3.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sanford posted:

Our local country park has taken 25 years to turn from a former opencast site to a massively diverse habitat used by hundreds of people every day. Now it's getting a "northern spur" rammed through the middle of it. This year has led to lots of people discovering the great countryside around us just in time to see it destroyed.

Just about to start Disco Elysium after hearing you guys talk about it; is there anything I should know before I begin? I'm just thinking of Planescape: Torment and the whole "put your points in Wisdom/Intelligence or you'll miss half the game" thing. Thanks to whoever pointed out you could get it for a tenner from Epic Games!

As much as everyone says there's no wrong way and failure never matters... You will need some Shivers in order to get to the end of the game

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Communist Thoughts posted:

As much as everyone says there's no wrong way and failure never matters... You will need some Shivers in order to get to the end of the game

I went 4/4/2/2 on stats with rhetoric as my specialty. Them my wife went out and my daughter woke up so I’ve got no further, I can hear the music tantalisingly wafting down the stairs from the office.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Cancelled mine a few months ago, started getting their love notes.... which go straight into the recycle bin. :homebrew:

I've lived in the same place for 8 years and don't watch TV. They send me an empty threat every single month without fail.

I now see this as an early sign of the absense of a capable government, I wonder what else could I get away with

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

the only worthwhile thing they've done with it in 15 years is letting Obsidian make New Vegas.

In all honesty - that was enough for me. The game is a fantastic sequel to 1 and 2 and seems to be a decent toolkit for making custom Fallout games in future, so whatever other garbage Bethesda puts out doesn't really bother me as NV isn't going anywhere.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ehh, while having some shivers helps, I believe all the various bonuses you can get towards passing that check add up to a +21 total if you do everything, so to need shivers for it you'd need to either fail to get most of the things which give a bonus, or never bother to try the check until after you've done everything and then get seriously unlucky with the check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't understand why bethesda continue to use the hideous gamebryo engine for its games after buying ID with its actual good engine