Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
a while back i started only being able to access websites on a certain server via http. like, just happened out of the loving blue. it's not a super crucial service, so no one higher up has really put any resources into figuring out what the hell is going on, but I keep coming back to the issue to try and sort it out.

valid CA cert with a private key is bound to 443, and doing a port check shows that its status is "established" but still no secure connection to applications hosted there.

e: to confirm, i can hit the IIS splash screen over http, but not https.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

check your server event logs for schannel errors that would indicate tls negotiation fuckups

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

President Beep posted:

e: to confirm, i can hit the IIS splash screen over http, but not https.

if its public facing does sslshopper tell you anything?
https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

WilWheaton posted:

is there a real reason this is using IIS?

there’s an esri web adapter on the server that uses IIS. is that uncommon? thought you had to use that tool for certificate binding as well.

this isn’t really my area of practice but I’m trying to understand it nonetheless.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

check your server event logs for schannel errors that would indicate tls negotiation fuckups

I’ll peek at this, thanks. had vendor support on the line friday and he noted that for some reason the identity server on the machine in question can’t be reached because the certificate/private key isn’t accessible during log in requests.

luckily he gave me a write up to just pass onto my boss, as I’m sure I can’t convey everything adequately. sounds like there’s something fundamentally hosed up on the server.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey how can you tell in windows if programs are running out of memory, or more correctly, losing performance due to lack of memory?

page faults delta?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

hey how can you tell in windows if programs are running out of memory, or more correctly, losing performance due to lack of memory?

page faults delta?

I've wondered about that too. In the old days I could tell because my old rear end hard drive would start grinding like hell when i ran out of ram and it had to start using virtual memory, but now that I have an SSD I have no idea when this happens aside from (presumably) framerate drops

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i was remembering that not even that long ago I would leave my computer rendering all night for a single frame and now i get pissed off if they’re not done in 2 minutes and along with that has been unabashed use of resources and what used to feel like a lot of ram 32gb i’m now wondering if it’s not

usage gets up around 29gb and stays there. i can’t help but feel that it’s use more if I had it

suppose there’s only one thing to do - buy more ramb

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

i was remembering that not even that long ago I would leave my computer rendering all night for a single frame and now i get pissed off if they’re not done in 2 minutes and along with that has been unabashed use of resources and what used to feel like a lot of ram 32gb i’m now wondering if it’s not

usage gets up around 29gb and stays there. i can’t help but feel that it’s use more if I had it

suppose there’s only one thing to do - buy more ramb

you can use task manager to view processes and memory usage

right click the task bar, click task manager, then more details, then look at the processes tab

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh yes, but that doesn’t really tell me if a program “wants” to use more memory

i used to think a page fault was when i program forced the operating system to use the page file and that’s a sign of running out of memory, but idk anymore

suppose i could always turn off the pagefile

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
programs might get mad when they m’alloc and the operating system comes back with “um we’re just friends”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

programs might get mad when they m’alloc and the operating system comes back with “um we’re just friends”

incel inside

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

President Beep posted:

there’s an esri web adapter on the server that uses IIS. is that uncommon? thought you had to use that tool for certificate binding as well.

this isn’t really my area of practice but I’m trying to understand it nonetheless.

nah, just iis can be microsoft jank that can be avoided sometimes

I was being a smartass

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

echinopsis posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

WilWheaton posted:

nah, just iis can be microsoft jank that can be avoided sometimes

I was being a smartass

lol. please understand that i am as a childe in this situation.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s the single biggest improvement in computers in my lifetime op (except maybe high speed internets) (i’m almost 40) (one love)

man, i still remember going from 28.8k to cable. I don't even think SSDs were that much of a difference.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

oh yes, but that doesn’t really tell me if a program “wants” to use more memory

i used to think a page fault was when i program forced the operating system to use the page file and that’s a sign of running out of memory, but idk anymore

suppose i could always turn off the pagefile

page fault means that the data wasn’t in memory (or cache) when it was looked for, meaning that it’s gotta go be found

cache to memory is slow
memory to disk is really slow
better with ssd, but still really slow

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hard page fault is the bad one where it has to go to a page file, a normal page fault is just something that happens and is more an indicator that memory is actively being used in the process

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hard page fault is the bad one where it has to go to a page file, a normal page fault is just something that happens and is more an indicator that memory is actively being used in the process

yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok.. so.. is there a good measure that a program wants to use more memory but is running out?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

ok.. so.. is there a good measure that a program wants to use more memory but is running out?

if it slows down, op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

“memory pressure” is the term for when the system as a whole is running out of memory

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol “she’s about to blow captain”

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Some poo poo like chrome will just use as much ram as possible in the hope that it will make something faster. Really hard to tell how much a program "needs" unless it provides that function specifically

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well .. that barely helps.

well actually nah it completely helps because it tells me what I need to know. thanks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

Some poo poo like chrome will just use as much ram as possible in the hope that it will make something faster. Really hard to tell how much a program "needs" unless it provides that function specifically

yeah and some things like various sql servers will lock in the amount of memory they “use” to the system and then manage their own memory

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

echinopsis posted:

application performance is the overall indicator, so if you have some way of tracking that (like sql perf counters for avg query time etc) its best to get a baseline of what your expected performance is and if something is bogging down. hard page faults are the one that will really grind everything to a halt, so if you're seeing those you need more memory (either to the OS as a whole or possibly to a specific process if its capping its physical ram usage or something like that), but everything is more complicated with the massive layers of caching that have been introduced both by the OS and often in the application framework (.net, java, whatever) which will attempt to cache as much of the filesystem that is likely to be touched as possible. sometimes this amounts to jack-poo poo in increased performance, other times it makes a massive difference and even basic memory pressure causing those caches to evaporate will slow things down. Its 100% dependent on the specific application you are working with, there are few hard and fast rules here because the program could be doing almost anything under the hood

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks ...

suppose I just wont really know unless I get more ram and figure out that its faster

ya know tho whats pissing me off? i have 32gb ddr4 ram. a 24 thread 3-4ghz processoir and m2 ssd

and right clicking on a icon in explorer in windows still takes a second

its like windows dumps everything after each time. I think its related to some of the things have loaded like winrar etc, but drat, cant windows just hold a few things in memory?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the xbox controller I've been using as a PC controller for 100 years finally broke. is anything even comparable to how easy to use and good-shaped the xbox 360 controller is for pc gaming? i'd like to replace it with something newer but I don't know how to filter the wheat from the chaff of controller options because i've been out of the game for way too long

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

the xbox controller I've been using as a PC controller for 100 years finally broke. is anything even comparable to how easy to use and good-shaped the xbox 360 controller is for pc gaming? i'd like to replace it with something newer but I don't know how to filter the wheat from the chaff of controller options because i've been out of the game for way too long

buy something from 8bitdo. i tried a knockoff controller for $25 and it was garbage that didn't work with mac, pc or a pi, then i paid $40 for an 8bitdo snes style controller and it has worked perfectly with everything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just get an xbox one controller. windows understands it natively, the new ones do bluethooth so you don't even need a receiver, and they're better than 360 controllers because they have a real d-pad.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

Supposedly the steam controller is pretty good, but I haven't tried it because I also use a 360 controller.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xbone controller is the best current gamepad

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

and right clicking on a icon in explorer in windows still takes a second

you have too much / broken poo poo in your explorer. try something from here https://superuser.com/questions/286000/how-to-list-explorer-extensions-and-disable-them

also get rid of winrar it's 2020

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shaggar posted:

xbone controller is the best current gamepad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

also get rid of winrar it's 2020

I used 7zip for years and it SUCKS

what other tool can I install that works for all archives and actually works better than winrar?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

you have too much / broken poo poo in your explorer. try something from here https://superuser.com/questions/286000/how-to-list-explorer-extensions-and-disable-them

ive been using autoruns for a long time friend

it solves some problems but not very well and not very clearly. there are some things I still want in my context menu.

the problem is that even if it was bad its not a complex task. it still shouldnt require so much time. especially if I do it and then do it again. windows is clearly flushing caches or not keeping poo poo in cache that it could

simply put.. steve ballmer smells

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually that links show some programs that may be more helpful than autoruns.exe

ill give then a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I got a used ds4 off ebay cheap and it was a pretty good set up from the xbone360 one I was using