Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Working through a hunk of white truffle isn’t easy for two, let alone once the old lady leaves for Xmas a few days early. Rice? Oil? How can I stretch this beyond eating every pasta dish ever (not mad at that thought but my dr might be)? Done salt for black truffles before but I know the white are much more delicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Why would your doctor be mad about you eating pasta?

White truffles are also good in risotto and on pizza...

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

Working through a hunk of white truffle isn’t easy for two, let alone once the old lady leaves for Xmas a few days early. Rice? Oil? How can I stretch this beyond eating every pasta dish ever (not mad at that thought but my dr might be)? Done salt for black truffles before but I know the white are much more delicate.

Just shove it in your bottom lip and work it for a few hours.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Just shove it in your bottom lip and work it for a few hours.

I had a quart container of Manhattan in the fridge on the same principle but I’m not wild about the results.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bartlebee posted:

Took pictures even though I'm an awful photographer; never remember how to upload pics to the awful app.

Drink and Fight posted:

This bugs out A LOT.

FYI, OP. Use imgur mobile app

Meta-commentary: the Awful App built-in image attachment ....did.... work in this case

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea it does bug out for me if I try posting more than a few pics at once, and then I do the Imgur mobile route which is great because if I’m posting more than a few pics it’s probably memes I got from Imgur in the first place

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I havent cooked anything for christmas. I am at my family's eating peanut butter sandwiches. Not even any jelly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I was wondering about you, actually! Go find some honey and bananas for them sammies

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

I was wondering about you, actually! Go find some honey and bananas for them sammies

Friend of family made this for me

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A cafe that recently closed near us made the most godly sandwich: toasted PB, smoked mozzarella, chilli jam. We’ve started recreating them at home. It’s phenomenal.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hot drat, that sounds delicious

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I have discovered (been pre-emptively warned?) that there is an Instant Pot en route for the holidays. I have never so much as blinked at one in my life before this.

Any suggestions for reliable recipe sources for said Instant Pot (online or otherwise) would be a godsend, and thankee muchly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

taichara posted:

I have discovered (been pre-emptively warned?) that there is an Instant Pot en route for the holidays. I have never so much as blinked at one in my life before this.

Any suggestions for reliable recipe sources for said Instant Pot (online or otherwise) would be a godsend, and thankee muchly.

Coconut 'tandoori' chicken

I like this one a lot, though I use actual onions (saute before adding the other stuff). The one thing I often find with instant pot recipes is that they need some thickening before serving since you don't lose as much of the water content to the air - I just use flour but you can use corn starch also.

People will also tell you to make rice in it. I'm sure it works well but I've never tried it because I have a small dedicated rice cooker.

I've been wanting to try this recipe for Cantonese Braised Beef with Radish.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 23, 2020

taichara
May 9, 2013

Oh I like the look of that chicken one especially. And thanks kindly about the heads-up about thickening things a bit.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Good instant pot recipes:

Chicken Pho (I've done a beef pho as well to good results, I don't have a recipe on hand but I'm sure you can find one. Pho is a great use of a pressure cooker since you really take advantage of the time savings - you can do chicken in 30 minutes and beef in an hour, vs. like 6 / 12 hours to do it on a stovetop.

Coq Au Vin - turned out way better than i expected, it seems like the sort of dish that an instant pot wouldn't be appropriate for but I was pleasantly surprised.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Every year we do a big NYE party, I make a bunch of appetizers, try to convert mixed drinks into jello shots, and often have a rare whole beef tenderloin to share.

I miss cooking for friends, and I am pondering doing a bunch of appetizers, sticking them in take out containers, and doorstepping them to locals. Obviously the hot buffalo chicken dip is out, but thinking some interesting deviled eggs, a charcuterie selection, vegies could be nice. Brandy old fashioned jello, tequila shooter jello, spiced egg nog jello.

What other hors d'oeuvres might travel well?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Instant pot is the only way I will do boiled eggs these days because they slide right out of the shell. It's such a small thing but I can't go back. Make stock. Make stock all the time and marvel at it's clarity. Also make pulled pork/cartinas Serious Eats has a great beef stew recipe that I mostly use for timing reasons for taking out the flavoring veg and adding in the veg you don't want to turn to mush. SE also has an amazing chili verde with either chicken or pork I highly recommend.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Instant pot is AMAZING at decarboxylating marijuana and also great at infusing it into stuff.

https://hightimes.com/edibles/cooking/instant-pot-your-instant-pot-no-mess-no-smell-method-making-quick-cannabutter/

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Instant pot is the only way I will do boiled eggs these days because they slide right out of the shell. It's such a small thing but I can't go back. Make stock. Make stock all the time and marvel at it's clarity. Also make pulled pork/cartinas Serious Eats has a great beef stew recipe that I mostly use for timing reasons for taking out the flavoring veg and adding in the veg you don't want to turn to mush. SE also has an amazing chili verde with either chicken or pork I highly recommend.

What's your boiled eggs timing for the Instant Pot? I did some googling and found like 1000000 different opinions on it and it frightened me out of trying it

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Whats a good way to prepare a ham for christmas? It goes in the oven, I was just going to pour the pack in syrup on it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Cheese Thief posted:

Whats a good way to prepare a ham for christmas? It goes in the oven, I was just going to pour the pack in syrup on it.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/ham-in-coca-cola

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My experience with an Instant Pot so far is that it really shines at any dish whose recipe normally includes "and then simmer for 4 hours", but less so for anything you can normally cook in under an hour, 'cause that's about how long you're signed up for when you include the pressurizing + cook + natural depressurizing.

Also, as that coq au vin recipe above mentions, it's worth getting one more pan dirty to brown stuff instead of fiddling with the sauté function.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hawkperson posted:

What's your boiled eggs timing for the Instant Pot? I did some googling and found like 1000000 different opinions on it and it frightened me out of trying it

Update: most common thing I found was 5 min at high pressure, 5 min let it depressurize a bit, 5 min soak in cold water, peel so I tried that, and yeah, pretty perfect hardboiled eggs. I saw some peeps swear by 3 min for softboiled and other peeps say that came out super raw, so I guess I'll try that tomorrow because I fuckin love softboiled eggs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don’t understand why you would use a special pot to take longer to boil eggs than it takes to just do them the normal way?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I don’t understand why you would use a special pot to take longer to boil eggs than it takes to just do them the normal way?

Because of the peeling, I guess?

taichara
May 9, 2013

Thanks again for all these, folks!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Scientastic posted:

The peeling is a really nice perk but I have an electric stovetop and legit it takes the same amount of time or less for the Instant Pot to get to pressure as it does for the loving stove to boil water :gonk:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Hawkperson posted:

5 min, and quick release, straight into an ice bath.

Scientastic posted:

They slide out of the shells like a seal in a luge track, and I really hate peeling eggs.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve been using SV to do soft boiled eggs but the peeling is an absolute bitch. Is the Instant Pot better for those too? Or anybody have other tips for the SV method?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The best way to boil an egg is steaming, bar none. Fast as heck and the shells practically jump off.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Totally Reasonable posted:

The best way to boil an egg is steaming, bar none. Fast as heck and the shells practically jump off.

You can cook them with the ham that way!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Totally Reasonable posted:

Tell me more. I tested a dozen eggs today with the instant pot to get to soft boiled eggs. Closest I could get was 2 cups water, 1 minute low pressure and 20 seconds before a rapid release. The center of the whites were still runny so I'm thinking 30 seconds before rapid release. If steaming them is the way to go, please tell me how to soft boil eggs right every time. I want to make scotch eggs and that'd be a great surprise for christmas for my wife who loves them.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 25, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Never mind, I just read one person's idea and it worked perfectly

Pour 2 cups water into 4 quart soup pan
Add steamer basket
Bring to a strong boil
Use tongs to add refrigerated eggs to basket and cover with lid
Steam for the time needed for your desired doneness for LARGE EGGS:
Six to seven minutes for runny yolks
Eight to nine minutes for medium set yolks
Twelve minutes for completely set yolks
After cooking, move eggs to a large pot of cold tap water
After 5 minutes, crack each egg shell and roll with palm on a hard surface/countertop, but do not peel yet.
Remove some shell and membrane at the large end of the egg and return the egg to the cold water for an additional 15 minutes. This will allow water to seep in between the egg and shell to make peeling later easier.
After a total of 20 minutes, peel the egg completely.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is there a cheese thread?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Is there a cheese thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844210

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Never mind, I just read one person's idea and it worked perfectly

Pour 2 cups water into 4 quart soup pan
Add steamer basket
Bring to a strong boil
Use tongs to add refrigerated eggs to basket and cover with lid
Steam for the time needed for your desired doneness for LARGE EGGS:
Six to seven minutes for runny yolks
Eight to nine minutes for medium set yolks
Twelve minutes for completely set yolks
After cooking, move eggs to a large pot of cold tap water
After 5 minutes, crack each egg shell and roll with palm on a hard surface/countertop, but do not peel yet.
Remove some shell and membrane at the large end of the egg and return the egg to the cold water for an additional 15 minutes. This will allow water to seep in between the egg and shell to make peeling later easier.
After a total of 20 minutes, peel the egg completely.

I always figured unless you're at altitude the 6 minute egg was long solved. Reinventing the wheel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I might try that because idk if it's the different water in my new place or what but all of my boiled eggs in the last while have just been loving terrible tearout messes. For most purposes I've just been poaching them instead because it's less mess.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Did your move also come with switching egg providers? Age of the eggs is a big deal with results!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It worked quite well. This was my first try at scotch eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

Did your move also come with switching egg providers? Age of the eggs is a big deal with results!

A bit yeah. I'm going to a different grocery store now quite frequenty too, but I'm 100% on an entirely different water system now.

Croatoan posted:

It worked quite well. This was my first try at scotch eggs

Delicious