Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Chow Yun-fat owns, he's been consistently pro Hong-Kong and his film career has taken a hit even though his still working. Also lives modestly and is trying to give all his money away to charity.

I can't find the good article I read on him a last year but here are a couple to touch on it.

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-hong-kong-denise-ho-un-china-censorship-20190710-story.html
https://qz.com/1506767/the-humble-lifestyle-of-movie-star-chow-fat-yun/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

poonchasta posted:

I love that one! I just couldn't remember the name. Isn't the bad guy the same actor from My Father, the Hero? That guy is awesome and I think he was also Seraph on the Matrix sequels.

Colin Chou. I'm pretty sure I saw it as The Defender, and i wasn't wild about it. Although, that scene with Kenneth Tsang(I think?), where he does the John Woo dive with an empty pistol is pretty good. His expression when he realizes he has no ammo, all in slow-mo cracked me up.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I've done another Letterboxd review of an action film I saw recently, this time 1992's Red Mob:

When I tell you that Red Mob is an action film made in Russia in 1992, your first question will be "does it feature dudes wearing those stripy shirts?" I can tell you that this film does feature dudes wearing those stripy shirts.

Soviet-Afghan War veterans Oleg (Vladimir Menshov) and Nick (Sergey Veksler) run a camp in Central Asia where wealthy Russians can come to experience military training. However, not long after Oleg's young son Yura (Dmitri Volkov) comes to join them, the pair are drawn into the schemes of Jaffar (Aleksandr Rozenbaum), a gangster running a smuggling operation.

As the first western-style action film made in the former Soviet Union, Red Mob does a good job of importing the tropes of 1980s American action films. In fact, it probably manages to be more macho than its American counterparts, as there are pretty much no female characters at all: at one point early on a young woman turns up at Oleg and Nick's camp, and you'd swear she was going to be a love interest, but she vanishes as quickly as she appeared. The action scenes themselves are well done, if not mind-blowing, and are comparable to lower-budget American films of the 1980s and 1990s. The pacing is a bit of a problem, with the action loaded into the second half of the film, and the overall running time being a bit long.

As an action film Red Mob is passable, but nothing special. The interest really comes from it being a fascinating time capsule of the end of the Soviet Union from clothing and cars (if you want to see a Lada chase, this is the film for you) and even social attitudes: at various points the characters are uncertain which side they should be on, and whether old values have any place in the new world. One of the special features on the Vinegar Syndrome bluray I saw this on makes the point that the film is also prescient regarding the rise of organised crime in post-Soviet Russia.

All in all, if you've got any interest in action films this is worth your time.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I've been starting short Amazon Prime action movies before bed, watching them until I'm falling asleep, and finishing them the next day. So I have a bunch of these for you, including a legitimate DTV hidden gem that you should go out of your way to see (it leaves Prime in 3 days).

Acceleration (2019) - 1/5, Amazon Prime
Acceleration is an 80-minute movie with 43 credited actors. There are an incredible amount of events happening in this movie but everything moves so fast with no setup that it's completely incomprehensible. Danny Trejo is in the movie for two minutes, sitting down. Rampage Jackson is in the movie for two minutes, talking while standing in a doorway. At least we get the one thing we've always wanted, a Dolph Lundgren / Chuck Liddell fight scene.

The only minor credit I can give here is to Tony Messenger and Marko Zaror for having a few hints of good fight ideas trying to sneak into the production. I say "trying" because all the work they did is completely edited to poo poo in the final product.

Combine all of that with the other current-day DTV action movie hallmark, that all gun effects are done via CGI, and what you're left with is something that is not even worth watching for free.

Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018) - 2/5, Amazon Prime
I am having a good laugh after discovering that this movie had 34 producers and Stallone described it as "truly the most horribly produced film I have ever had the misfortune to be in." It definitely shows on the screen. Escape Plan 2 has maybe the most plot beats I've ever seen in a movie of this length. It feels like you're watching a "last season on" recap of an entire season of a TV show.

It's not a good movie, but I love Escape Plan and this still presses a lot of the buttons for me as far as "bad things I'm willing to tolerate" go. The star of the movie is Xiaoming Huang and he's very good. There are somehow tons of underutilized name actors. A bonus for the MMA heads is getting to see Tyron Woodley in action, doing a strange African accent.

The low budget of the film doesn't end up looking too bad on screen, the biggest problems are all because the pace of the movie means that all the obstacles they set up for the characters are overcome almost immediately, via "just accept it" supertechnology. It seems to theoretically be set today but the stuff that happens in the plot is 50 years from now tech stuff, at least.

Anyway, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to watching Escape Plan 3.

Extraction (2015) - 2/5, Amazon Prime
Extraction has the most cliches per minute that have possibly ever been put into a movie. There is not one single original idea in the movie's plot. Thankfully, it still ends up being a cut above the other films at this level, presumably thanks to director Steven C. Miller. And it's an action movie, so it is safe to ignore the plot and dialogue.

Overall it feels like the budget was better spent here than something like 2020's Hard Kill that is produced in this same style. Nothing looked too horrible or cheap.

They didn't have the money for practical guns so they stuck mostly to hand-to-hand. Simon Rhee as the stunt coordinator turned in some great work here, with cool environments used well. Lutz and Carano did a good job, and even Willis got some action though he was sitting down most of the movie. Miller had restraint and did not allow the action to get completely shredded by the editing.

Extraction is a tight 80-minute movie that gives you a lot of action for its runtime. Trust me, you can do a lot worse picking a random action movie on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Blood Circus (2017) - 1/5, Amazon Prime
If you're looking for a bad underground fight movie with five minutes of entertainment over an 80-minute runtime, Blood Circus has everything you want:

- Big Sexy Kevin Nash
- Dada 5000
- Chuck Zito
- Vincent Pastore in a non-mob role
- A cameo by Tommy Dreamer

What it didn't seem to have, was the ability to shoot more than one take of each scene. The actors strangely talk over each other and repeat themselves a lot. It's heavy on disgraced actor Tom Sizemore, and his performance is abysmal. The MMA lead Jamie Nocher is also devoid of the charisma needed to carry a movie. He's supposed to be a washed up former MMA champion. Fights looked bad, too.

You know what you're getting into here. I've given you enough information to make up your mind.

Wrong Turn at Tahoe (2009) - 3.5/5, Amazon Prime
Talk about an unseen gem. I saw this had Johnny Messner in it and that was enough for me (I'm a psycho), and I got a genuinely great movie.

Miguel Ferrer was a legend and he's incredible. Great performances are also turned in by Cuba Gooding Jr. and Harvey Keitel. Messner's unhinged as well. Bonus minor appearances by Mike Starr and Louis Mandylor.

The plot isn't going to win any awards, but the script is good enough for the heavyweights to get quality out of it. Does suffer a little from the "these are all bad people, there's nobody to root for" but the last 20 minutes are so out of this world that you end up forgetting about that.

For a direct-to-video movie that nobody's ever heard of, I think any crime/action fan will find a lot to like here.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
January 2021 Action Movie Streaming Additions
Tubi - Windtalkers, Transporter 2, American Ninja 1-4
Prime - Robocop, Face/Off, Master and Commander, Macgruber, Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels
HBO Max - The Dark Knight, Mad Max Fury Road, Escape from New York, Blade 1-3
Hulu - Face/Off, Hell or High Water
IMDb - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Nice, it's been a while since I watched Face/Off. Thanks for these roundups.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Boco_T posted:

January 2021 Action Movie Streaming Additions
Tubi - Windtalkers, Transporter 2, American Ninja 1-4
Prime - Robocop, Face/Off, Master and Commander, Macgruber, Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels
HBO Max - The Dark Knight, Mad Max Fury Road, Escape from New York, Blade 1-3
Hulu - Face/Off, Hell or High Water
IMDb - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

I'm gonna give Macgruber a go, been wanting to see that for a while.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Got my hands on an insanely rare copy of Jackie Chans "Magnificent Bodyguards" from 1978 in 3D. First native 3D film shot in Hong Kong and only ever existed on the 1984 laserdisc but someone from a 3D enthusiast group got a copy, ripped it and swapped in the English dub from the DVD.

The quality isnt the greatest, but it is wild seeing this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That’s genuinely cool but even trying to imagine a bootleg copy of a 3D martials arts film is giving me a migraine

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
It’s mentioned in the streaming thread, but Warrior(Show, not the MMA drama) is on HBO Max! I haven’t watched it yet but I know people seem to love it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

thatfuturekid posted:

It’s mentioned in the streaming thread, but Warrior(Show, not the MMA drama) is on HBO Max! I haven’t watched it yet but I know people seem to love it

It's freaking awesome. If you ever watched banshee it's by the creator of that and Justin Lin. Season 2 episode 9 has a homage to Bruce lee that loving rocks and the fights are awesome.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Got my hands on an insanely rare copy of Jackie Chans "Magnificent Bodyguards" from 1978 in 3D. First native 3D film shot in Hong Kong and only ever existed on the 1984 laserdisc but someone from a 3D enthusiast group got a copy, ripped it and swapped in the English dub from the DVD.

The quality isnt the greatest, but it is wild seeing this.

How was it? I don't believe I've ever seen it. Does it predate Half a Loaf of Kung Fu?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Narzack posted:

How was it? I don't believe I've ever seen it. Does it predate Half a Loaf of Kung Fu?

Yes it does. Its not the greatest, but has some hilariously quirky choreography to take advantage of the 3D. Probably the worst of those 5 or 6 that came out that year. Jackie Chan even said he didnt like it because the director was very controlling.

The quality of the 3D laserdisc rip is pretty bad so it felt more like watching a museum archival film, but it was still quite a unique experience and a rare peak at a pioneering technical moment in Hong Kong cinema.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
That's cool, man, I'm glad you got to see it. I think Half a Loaf is the earliest Chan film that I actually like.

Has anyone else seen Hurricane Heist? I have some annoying thoughts on it, and kind of want to see if I'm the only one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes, I saw Hurricane Heist, which felt exactly like a late period Cannon film with some money and a bit of talent in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I do like to see Toby Kebbell getting work though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Absolutely, another actor that should be doing better than they actually are. Has a cool look and good screen presence.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Basebf555 posted:

I do like to see Toby Kebbell getting work though.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Absolutely, another actor that should be doing better than they actually are. Has a cool look and good screen presence.
:(

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So, what I wanted to talk about is something that is bothering me, and that is the politics and implications of the movie. Since it concerns the plot itself, I'll spoiler tag it.

Hurricane Heist

Okay, so as the title indicates, the movie concerns a robbery during a huge natural storm. That's fine, it was also done in Hard Rain, which I actually like quite a bit. But in this movie, the money they're stealing is cash that the federal government is going to destroy. It's a few dudes who want to retire and execute a completely bloodless takeover. They just want to take this federal trash and use it as a reward for their years of public service.

Then the chick who is supposed to transport the money busts in and starts killing people, despite the 'bad' guys using completely nonlethal methods. So,like, this movie paints these dudes are bad guys who deserve to die horribly in the storms for daaaaaaaaaaring to take money that is going to be destroyed anyway. And this chick thinks, yes, I have to shoot and kill people to protect this refuse.

I don't know, it just kinda bothered me. Especially when the hacker kids die for no real reason and then Chris Finch explodes. It's kind of like that one death of the babysitter in the Jurassic World movie.

I guess I'm just bothered by the idea that this federal property, that is being destroyed, anyway, is worth killing and dying for.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

So, what I wanted to talk about is something that is bothering me, and that is the politics and implications of the movie. Since it concerns the plot itself, I'll spoiler tag it.

Hurricane Heist

Okay, so as the title indicates, the movie concerns a robbery during a huge natural storm. That's fine, it was also done in Hard Rain, which I actually like quite a bit. But in this movie, the money they're stealing is cash that the federal government is going to destroy. It's a few dudes who want to retire and execute a completely bloodless takeover. They just want to take this federal trash and use it as a reward for their years of public service.

Then the chick who is supposed to transport the money busts in and starts killing people, despite the 'bad' guys using completely nonlethal methods. So,like, this movie paints these dudes are bad guys who deserve to die horribly in the storms for daaaaaaaaaaring to take money that is going to be destroyed anyway. And this chick thinks, yes, I have to shoot and kill people to protect this refuse.

I don't know, it just kinda bothered me. Especially when the hacker kids die for no real reason and then Chris Finch explodes. It's kind of like that one death of the babysitter in the Jurassic World movie.

I guess I'm just bothered by the idea that this federal property, that is being destroyed, anyway, is worth killing and dying for.

I'll spoiler too, just in case

The real life incident that parallels this, Britain's 'great train robbery,' ended up as a piece of folklore. The money was set to be destroyed and the real life gang were so charmingly inept (they got caught because they played monopoly in the hideout afterwards with the actual money and so their fingerprints were on everything. The member of the gang who was supposed to drive the train didn't actually know how to drive a train) and, indeed, harmless, that they became robin hood figures, even though they didn't distribute the money, obviously, and were all caught. Maybe the script for this started life as a goofy, fun heist, and morphed into something darker and more violent later on.

If you're going to do a heist where the federal government is the one getting robbed, you need to do what Cliffhanger did, and make the baddies comically ruthless and callous, quite contentedly killing people who are helping them, and even each other to gain even a brief advantage. On a side note, goddamn Lithgow is good in Cliffhanger. Way better than the movie needed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There great train robbery I know about is the one where they actually pulled it off just fine, but then one of the dudes got pinched for an unrelated crime and sentenced to Australia. He was like "yo, my fellow robbers, please give a big chunk of my money to my prostitute girlfriend" and they were like "sure no problem" and then waited for him to get on the boat and then were like "lol no". So the prostitute/girlfriend went to the cops and told them everything. And they all got got. The moral is: just do what you say you're going to do!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

jase1 posted:

I am about to start a Jet li binge. What are some of his movies I should do watch?

Besides what other folks suggested check out Iron Monkey and also Swordsman II: Asia the Invincible for sure.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Chow Yun Fat is awesome and like one of the only seriously major HK stars that isn't a total douche.

He is frequently bumped into around hk at your basic cheapo diner style restaurants, hiking trails (even happened to my partner's mum and they exchanged pleasantries lol), the mtr (metro), and always takes being bothered by strangers extremely gracefully. He donates a poo poo ton of his money, too.

Dudes a loving hk legend who took a bit of a hit last year for not being pro cop which makes him an even bigger legend.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 9, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There great train robbery I know about is the one where they actually pulled it off just fine, but then one of the dudes got pinched for an unrelated crime and sentenced to Australia. He was like "yo, my fellow robbers, please give a big chunk of my money to my prostitute girlfriend" and they were like "sure no problem" and then waited for him to get on the boat and then were like "lol no". So the prostitute/girlfriend went to the cops and told them everything. And they all got got. The moral is: just do what you say you're going to do!

That's probably not the same one, since it happened in 63, well after the UK was sending convicts to Australia. Wouldn't surprised me if there was more than one, though.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Chow Yun Fat is awesome and like one of the only seriously major HK stars that isn't a total douche.

He is frequently bumped into around hk at your basic cheapo diner style restaurants, hiking trails (even happened to my partner's mum and they exchanged pleasantries lol), the mtr (metro), and always takes being bothered by strangers extremely gracefully. He donates a poo poo ton of his money, too.

Dudes a loving hk legend who took a bit of a hit last year for not being pro cop which makes him an even bigger legend.

I'm glad to hear this as I was a huge fan of his as a kid.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The one I was thinking about is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Gold_Robbery

Check out this Wikipedia entry, it's a legit cool story and they made a movie by way of a fictionalized book about it with Sean Connery.

Also the tagline "never have so few taken so much from so many" is legit great. Man they had some good lines on those 70s movie posters.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 11, 2021

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's more just the implied value system of Hurricane Heist that bothers me. As if trash is worth killing and dying for.

On the other hand, I'm rewatching Gladiator, and holy cow do I still like that movie. If I remember correctly, it's the movie that got me into Ridley Scott, and, really, directors as a whole.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

It's more just the implied value system of Hurricane Heist that bothers me. As if trash is worth killing and dying for.

It's just the way movies are gonna be under a capitalist system. Money and resources are for those that earn it. Giving them away to people who haven't earned it is worse than simply throwing them into the trash because it "sends the wrong message" or whatever a capitalist would say.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Narzack posted:

Hurricane Heist

Welcome Comrade! Seriously though it gets hard to unsee copaganda once you have it on your radar but it makes enjoying action movies only marginally more difficult. I think its just that cop tropes are very easy to write into films and cop stories are generally easy to shoot and script being urban, potentially dramatic, familiar etc etc. It's a self perpetuating hero narrative or something I dunno. Thanks for reminding me of hard rain that was a blast of memories.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Whoops, I forgot to post for a bit so I got a bunch of these. Including, I've already watched a 2021 action movie that rules (and is a cartoon).

Ring of Death (2009) - 1/5, Amazon Prime
By-the-numbers prison fight movie. Stacy Keach goes from being the Prison Break TV show warden to being a psychotic bloodthirsty fight promoter warden that is British and blind in one eye for some reason. He really milks it. Messner's good enough, most of the supporting cast is fine too.

But this is a fighting movie and the fights look like absolute poo poo. Hundreds of cuts with shaky cam gives you unwatchable results. Shame on director Bradford May and editor Thomas Krueger for turning something like this in.

Ultimate Justice (2017) - 1.5/5, Amazon Prime
It's a testament to the entertainment value I got out of the fights in this movie that I did not otherwise bestow on it the absolute lowest possible rating. I see that the fight choreographer is Mike Möller, who plays Benny in the movie. No surprise that Benny gets the coolest fight moments (and does the most pro wrestling moves).

As I said, there is really nothing else remotely positive about Ultimate Justice. The script is awful, full of unnecessary twists and a confusingly large cast of inconsequential characters. The movie has a rape scene in it. The editing somewhat destroys the fights. Some of the characters appeared to have filmed their parts in other languages, so there is noticeable looping throughout the movie even with Dacascos speaking English the whole time.

Speaking of Dacascos, he is the only name actor in the film and he performs well in the action but acting-wise he does seem to be operating at the same level as his no-name co-stars.

Look up the fights if you care to and skip the rest.

The Running Man (1987) - 3.5/5, Amazon Prime
drat, they did deepfakes in 1987

Sniper 3 (2004) - 2.5/5, DVD
The main thing that you're here for, the action, really rules in Sniper 3. As usual it's a bit on the light side because they build up to it since he's a sniper, but when it happens it's explosive and looks great. Hats off to director Pesce for keeping things fresh for this DTV third installment in the series. The final snipe in particular is incredible.

The movie also does some good exploration of PTSD and the other effects of war, and how they take their toll on Beckett decades later.

The problem I have with Sniper 3 is the plot. The premise of the movie is "the CIA is sending a Vietnam sniper back to Vietnam 30 years later to extrajudically murder an American citizen." This is did not sit well with me and dragged my viewing experience down. Luckily, the plot barely matters in DTV action movies.

Had a good laugh about part of the story in this movie being about how Beckett is over the hill, knowing that there are five more Sniper movies after this one.

From Paris with Love (2010) - 3.5/5, Netflix
How are there not 10 more Charlie Wax movies by now?

Plot is incomprehensible and Jonathan Rhys Meyers sucks but who cares, this movie is about CHARLIE WAX and what he says and does.

The action is outstanding, the point of the story is to get Charlie Wax into different locations where cool poo poo can happen. Why are they firing a bunch of guns in a mannequin factory? Because it looks loving cool, that's why.

Golgo 13: The Professional (1983) - 3/5, Amazon Prime (Japanese audio)
Combination of the insanity of Golgo 13 with the beauty of Osamu Dezaki. Since Golgo manga stories are self-contained this ends up feeling more than a little like connected vignettes to stretch into a feature-length story. But the action is great and so are the freeze frames that you expect.

Bonus points for the 1983 CGI that looks totally out of place like the Dire Straits Money for Nothing video.

Could have done without the rape scenes.

The Aggression Scale (2012) - 1.5/5, Amazon Prime
An 80-minute film with a bad script and almost half an hour of unnecessary filler. Watched it because of Dana Ashbrook and Ray Wise in a Twin Peaks reunion. Ray Wise is in the movie in a single room for 5 minutes. Dana Ashbrook is pretty great, at least.

In the end the movie is an R-rated Home Alone with a non-verbal teen. The violence is pretty well-done considering the budget, but overall there's not a lot of entertainment even considering the short run time.

Final Score (2018) - 2/5, Amazon Prime
This is completely the exact same movie as Sudden Death, but I'm fine with that. We can have a Sudden Death every 20 years, I'd allow it even more often, let every action star have one. Where's my Scott Adkins Sudden Death?

The action is great, and Dave Bautista is great. The problem is that Ray Stevenson is no Powers Boothe and the driving plot elements are way, way worse here than in Sudden Death. You don't need to over-complicate the drat plot of an action movie so much, sheesh. So much time is spent on the fake Russian republic and it is nothing. This movie could easily shed 15 minutes of its runtime and be much, much better.

Batman: Soul of the Dragon (2021) - 3.5/5
An excellent animated Bruce Lee movie. That's all I need to say, really. If that sounds good to you, then you will love it.

Incredibly kinetic, well-choreographed fights. A stacked voice cast that includes Mark Dacascos, Michael Jai White, Kelly Hu, and James Hong. Cool 70s design.

Only a little bit of Batman, but that's fine with me. I am not particularly into superheroes. Mostly gets Batman-ish in the end, which is why I rated it down just a tiny bit. But don't let that stop you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

It's just the way movies are gonna be under a capitalist system.

Huricane Heist's morality does suck, but it sucks in a way that is 100% divorceable from capitalism. I could easily see a communist country making GBS threads on the idea that a couple of guys weren't content with their lot in life and decided to elevate themselves above others by taking money that the state had deemed no longer necessary.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

On the other hand, I'm rewatching Gladiator, and holy cow do I still like that movie. If I remember correctly, it's the movie that got me into Ridley Scott, and, really, directors as a whole.

oh, i got it. And I was trying to say I understood by comparing it to our cultural reaction to a real life equivalent. Sorry if that was unclear.

I also had the exact same experience with Gladiator, weirdly enough. The Matrix had come out the year before and made me pay attention to films more closely, and then Gladiator came along and was so very different to the old sword and sandal films I'd seen. Gave me the first inkling of how much a director's style could impact a film.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I just finished Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and that movie whips rear end. The fight in the sporting goods shop was extremely good and I love how grimy and horrible the final fight was.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

Welcome Comrade! Seriously though it gets hard to unsee copaganda once you have it on your radar but it makes enjoying action movies only marginally more difficult. I think its just that cop tropes are very easy to write into films and cop stories are generally easy to shoot and script being urban, potentially dramatic, familiar etc etc. It's a self perpetuating hero narrative or something I dunno. Thanks for reminding me of hard rain that was a blast of memories.

Yeah, and I still enjoy cops and robbers type stories, for the most part. For instance, I finished The Shield, and I think it's one of the greatest television shows I've ever seen.

And, I also agree that for Hurricane Heist, it was a mistake to not make the villains mustache-twirling monsters. It would have probably been a pretty killer Steven Seagal movie back in the day. He always had super evil villains.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Bullbar posted:

I just finished Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning and that movie whips rear end. The fight in the sporting goods shop was extremely good and I love how grimy and horrible the final fight was.

This cannot be said enough. For all of the films I've been pollinated by via this forum, US:DoR stands tall above the rest with a perfect storm of Jean Claude, Adkins and brutal action done almost entirely in-camera.

When the film approaches it's third act and starts to rip whole pages from Apocalypse Now, you don't really mind because it works.

E: I also really dug the take that an impervious super-soldier is basically a mini-Cenobite mixing extreme pain and pleasure out of sheer boredom.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
A 77 minute action scene in one continuous take.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/movie...campaign=210114

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I’ve already seen Crazy Samurai Musashi and it is very very bad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
After watching all of those Scott Adkins Art of Action episodes the idea of a 77 minute one-take action scene just sounds absurd to me. There's just no way you can properly frame action and give it weight and impact without any cuts over that length of time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

After watching all of those Scott Adkins Art of Action episodes the idea of a 77 minute one-take action scene just sounds absurd to me. There's just no way you can properly frame action and give it weight and impact without any cuts over that length of time.

The five minute scene in Tom Yung Goon is pushing it. That scene lacks any pacing or energy for a lot of its length. On the whole, as time goes on, i'm less and less sold on the idea of long take action scenes. They're cool in concept, and obviously an insane achievement for everyone involved, but you have to give up a lot of what makes a good action scene to pull it off. Adkins himself hit the perfect length. In undisputed 3, most of the fights work in a series of 5 to 15 second bursts, cutting only to emphasise particularly heavy movies. His fight with Lateef Crowder is especially impressive.

I watched our very own Hbomberguy's video on RWBY the other night and, holy poo poo, the late great Monty Oum might have actually been some kind of loving genius. If you haven't heard of him (I hadn't) he was a superstar of the early internet, creating elaborate, insane, anime style fight scenes out of very simple 3d models, usually from games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU this was apparently seen by the entire internet except for me.

I know it's a little outside of this thread's usual wheelhouse but, holy poo poo, the guy could come up with that on his own, for fun, with essentially no resources except whatever modeling and editing program he had. I also realised, watching it, that it's the exact style that Kingsman is emulating in the church fight scene. Imagine being so good at making internet videos that one of the best stunt teams in the world is trying to emulate your style. Also, i'm pretty sure that's what action scenes looked like in my head when i was a teenager. If you're going to have a fight scene that isn't realistic, go loving hog wild, and Oum did.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I just finished watching Headshot and liked it fine, but I can see how The Night Comes For us kind of evolved from it. I loved Sunny Pang as Lee, he had perfect Final Boss energy, and the final fight made me want to rewatch the final fight with Mad Dog from The Raid, but in a good way. I also enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces from The Night Comes..., I want to see more of these people kicking rear end. Really looking forward to more of Timo Tjahjanto's work.

Uwais was incredible as always, and I am getting a bit sad that I have gotten pretty much through all his movies bar that Netflix show and things also starring Mark Wahlberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I just finished watching Headshot and liked it fine, but I can see how The Night Comes For us kind of evolved from it. I loved Sunny Pang as Lee, he had perfect Final Boss energy, and the final fight made me want to rewatch the final fight with Mad Dog from The Raid, but in a good way. I also enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces from The Night Comes..., I want to see more of these people kicking rear end. Really looking forward to more of Timo Tjahjanto's work.

Uwais was incredible as always, and I am getting a bit sad that I have gotten pretty much through all his movies bar that Netflix show and things also starring Mark Wahlberg.

The TV show is actually really good. It ends with a bit of a whimper, but it contains some absolutely dope fights. The one at the docks (docks? I think?) was especially loving cool