Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

gently caress, what a lovely snipe, putting the context back in to what i'm responding to:

SiKboy posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Unrelated? I feel like it's completely related. The sexploitation and victimization are the basis of punk music and cyberpunk.

Sorry it's just the PCP talking.
Oh, you see, we thought you believed them to be unrelated because we must have mistakenly got that from when you said

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sorry, what?

No gimmick. Just a quick and dirty etymology of the word punk as I understand it.

No mention of punk music in my post but I feel that's unrelated to 'punk' in the sense of cyberpunk, steampunk, *punk &c.
silly us.
you may have missed some distinctions.

"The sexploitation and victimization are the basis of punk music and cyberpunk."

"No mention of punk music in my post but I feel that's unrelated to 'punk' in the sense of cyberpunk,"

BaldDwarfOnPCP is referring to an origin of both, not claiming a direct relation between the musical genre and the fictional genre.

to recast what was said in a different context, BDOPCP said two things you're taking issue with: "wolves are the source of labradors and golden retrievers", "I'm not talking about labradors, I'm talking about how wolves became golden retrievers specifically"

you're saying "lmao you're saying golden retrievers aren't descended from labradors? look at this guy!"

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SiKboy posted:

Oh, you see, we thought you believed them to be unrelated because we must have mistakenly got that from when you said

silly us.

My dumb.

But tbf most cyberpunk games/movies uses DnB or techno or "dub" rather than old school 80s or 90s punk music. I thought that was a given.

Haven't played CP 20yy yet so I don't know if there are any Black Flag or Husker Du slow jams.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
a classic, although i am unsure how real it is

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

in any case genres aren't real so who cares

the commodification of cyberpunk is cyberpunk

and hell iirc before '77 fried my OS drive i'm pretty sure i saw cyberpunk fiction in one of the journal log things written in the context of 2077

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's the insane thing, right wingers never understand that poor people spending their money on dumb poo poo is what makes the economy work. Like why does it matter that someone on SNAP buys the more expensive meat instead of eating nothing but rice and beans, the same amount of money goes into the grocery store allowing them to employee clerks and what not and also buying that expensive beef in the first place giving jobs to cowboys. Do they really think we should eliminate jobs for cowboys?

It's like how right wing commentators will bemoan people not being able to live easily on minimum wage by being thrifty. Yet they also reeee at noon essential businesses being closed because of covid/support corporate welfare like the eat out to help out scheme in the UK.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

a classic, although i am unsure how real it is

Was the language being spoken Yiddish?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cyberpunk never was anything other than a new coat of paint over existing boilerplate concepts, all this purism and talk about the essence of cyberpunk is bullshit. We've swapped all the things from America to take place in Japan instead because we think Japan is the next big deal and isn't going to end up in a thirty year spiral of stagnation, oh wowee.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Benny Harvey posted:

Was the language being spoken Yiddish?

yes lol

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

FFT posted:

doesn't sound as good as Good Omens tbh

It wasn’t. Gibson is a way better author than sterling and it was obvious while reading the book

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Benny Harvey posted:

It's like how right wing commentators will bemoan people not being able to live easily on minimum wage by being thrifty. Yet they also reeee at noon essential businesses being closed because of covid/support corporate welfare like the eat out to help out scheme in the UK.

"it's such a terrible failure of the system that you have to be working here on christmas eve while i'm shopping"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Not to continue a derail needlessly but now I'm legit wondering where the Deus Ex games fall on the spectrum of Cyberpunk-iness. Granted, I've only played Human Revolution, but an ex-cop cyborg questioning humanity while dealing with a conspiracy between mega-corporations running the world seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Deus Ex is cyberpunk pure as long as you take an "I'M NOT A PART OF YOUR SYSTEM" path

DX is more just unreasonably prescient what with the twin towers not being included in the backgrounds and a disease that's deliberately not being restrained by The Powers That Be where the Powers have access to the cure

imo cyberpunk is a futuristic anarcho-capitalist hellscape where the main character pulls an "i'm mad as hell, and i'm not going to take it anymore!" in whatever realm(s) of control they can manage to do that in.

stringless has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Dec 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deus Ex is just a loving documentary at this point, I desperately want the Q people to get a hold of it because they would literally just explode if they ever played it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is cyberpunk a setting or not?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hihohe posted:

Is cyberpunk a setting or not?
cyberpunk is a genre.

some settings are cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk 2020 is a TTRPG system and setting which is cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a videogame based on Cyberpunk 2020 that is questionably cyberpunk.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What about cybersex?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cyberpunk 2020 turned out to be a lot shittier than that game predicted

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
No Transhumanist Scotsman

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My favorite part of the game was where I was driving down the street and Johnny Mnemonic sighs and goes "man... I sure am tired of all these cyber punks"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the existence of the situation is very consistent with cyberpunk; forcing the player to be complicit in the situation is not

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ah yes the classic girl’s name “Root”

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I've seen this posted twice now but I don't want to let this person's dumbness overshadow their correctness. See https://caroljadams.com/spom-the-book which is really good.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is fiberpunk a thing or is that the same as treepunk?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Libelpunk

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

xtal posted:

I've seen this posted twice now but I don't want to let this person's dumbness overshadow their correctness. See https://caroljadams.com/spom-the-book which is really good.

um

only female cows give milk, is the joke

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

um

That was the part I said was dumb

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

the existence of the situation is very consistent with cyberpunk; forcing the player to be complicit in the situation is not

The game doesn't force you to be complicit in the situation. I'm not sure where the idea there are mandatory cop missions came from, but they're not in the game.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Mokotow posted:

Ah yes the classic girl’s name “Root”

Maybe they're a huge fan of Person of Interest

Is Person of Interest cyberpunk?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

What about cybersex?

"cyber-sex" was perfected in 1992's The Lawnmower Man

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

boar guy posted:

um

Apart from Root :pervert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aramoro posted:

The game doesn't force you to be complicit in the situation. I'm not sure where the idea there are mandatory cop missions came from, but they're not in the game.

Yeah, it’s easier if you get the rewards for going along with the oppressive system, but when isn’t that the case?

There’s an item you can get early on the game whose description is basically “you can say anything in Japanese and it sounds fancy”. They knew what they were doing when they pulled the thread of Cyberpunk 2020’s exotic-and-dominant-Japan framing through to 2077. V mocking Jackie’s provincial food tastes near the opening is just another piece of that.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
omg go argue about the bad video game in the games forum

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pastry of the Year posted:

"cyber-sex" was perfected in 1992's The Lawnmower Man

I love how they meticulously give the actors picture credit for a frame of pure CGI that doesn't picture the actors in any way.

Perhaps they have a policy of crediting voice actors for animated productions, and figured this was close enough to count.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm just going to come out and say that if you didn't build V to look like Bill S Preston you're an absolute fool. This goes for me as well because I didn't even think about that until just now.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

omg go argue about the bad video game in the games forum

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

the IOSM is coming from within the thread

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

My dumb.

But tbf most cyberpunk games/movies uses DnB or techno or "dub" rather than old school 80s or 90s punk music. I thought that was a given.

Haven't played CP 20yy yet so I don't know if there are any Black Flag or Husker Du slow jams.

Are you just totally unfamiliar with post-punk, or making some dumb not-real-punk distinction here? They don't put 80's/90's Black Flag in cyberpunk because by the 80's there was a whole host of electronic and experimental music that was inspired/had spun off of 70's punk. New Wave, industrial, even ska shows up in cyberpunk media a lot.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Cyberpunk is so last decade, meanwhile I'm sitting over here waiting for someone to make a punkpunk game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Has anyone done DunkPunk yet or is that just Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.