Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

On that stat upgrade tab that you just unlocked, you should prioritize getting everyone 2 level-ups in the bottom-most stat (I forget the exact name). Upping that one from 1 to 3 will let a pilot participate in 3 battles before Brain Overload hits instead of the standard 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/221..._source=twitter

Polygon just published a glowing review for the game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
As I said, I'm 45% of the way through destruction and I just unlocked the second city. It seems like I haven't played enough battles to be already 45% of the way through them!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

redreader posted:

As I said, I'm 45% of the way through destruction and I just unlocked the second city. It seems like I haven't played enough battles to be already 45% of the way through them!

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the proportion of combat-to-adventure is way, WAY higher in the prologue than in the rest of the game. I was over 60% in the story before the game would even let me do the second half of the first cluster of battles.

However, there are a whole bunch of post-story battles you can do after the credits roll if you want. They don't have any story content or count for completion or anything.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Instant Grat posted:

However, there are a whole bunch of post-story battles you can do after the credits roll if you want. They don't have any story content or count for completion or anything.
Well hey I didn't even notice that, neat.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I remember hitting a pretty big wall at one point where I had to do an absolute shitload of story before I could go back to destruction mode.

If there was one thing I’d change it would be to maybe thread them together a little more evenly to keep the variety up. But to be fair the story is so captivating anyway it isn’t really a problem in the end, if it wasn’t as good as it is though that balance would definitely be more of a criticism.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

History Comes Inside! posted:

I remember hitting a pretty big wall at one point where I had to do an absolute shitload of story before I could go back to destruction mode.

If there was one thing I’d change it would be to maybe thread them together a little more evenly to keep the variety up. But to be fair the story is so captivating anyway it isn’t really a problem in the end, if it wasn’t as good as it is though that balance would definitely be more of a criticism.

yeah I decided to power through story and got to the bit where it unlocked the battles I needed to do, and then some story was locked until I do a certain amount of battles. So now I have like 10 battles to do in a row (done 5 of them ) in order to advance part of the plot. I'm ok with this too, there's a lot of great story.

Instant Grat posted:

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the proportion of combat-to-adventure is way, WAY higher in the prologue than in the rest of the game. I was over 60% in the story before the game would even let me do the second half of the first cluster of battles.

AWESOME! Thanks :) I am definitely looking forward to that. That spoiler wasn't a spoiler.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Just finished up the game with the platinum. I'd say overall it was good, but not great. I'd say this is more a $30 game. This is coming from someone who has literally never played a VN so the amount of dialogue to get through was a bit much for my taste, as the game seems divided into 20+ hours of dialogue and 10 hrs of battles (at most). I felt compelled to do as much VN stuff prior to battles and, man, after the prologue, the beginning is a suuuuper long string of unlockable story before you have to battle again.

The battle system was pretty enjoyable and quick paced, and I liked upgrading stuff and coming up with strategies. As for the VN sections I thought they were mostly good, but on the whole it felt a bit too jammed with mini-story threads and side-characters. The twists were decent but nothing outside of typical genre tropes. I feel the story would have better payoff if some of it was portrayed in a stronger or more straightforward manner, i.e. not through snippets from 13 different characters and multiple worlds. Anyway that's my 2c.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 21, 2020

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Finsihed Megumi story so I dunno if it will get explained at the end of other routes I never did but:

So she never shot Ei(tried though), Ryoko and Yuki right with syringe right? Natsumi , who also didn´t get shot, was shot by 426 in the bathroom so maybe they will get shot in other scenes but I did their stories full and nothing there, did I forget something or will that be explained?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everything will eventually fit together with clockwork precision.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
These Sumire Ward extra missions are a motherfucker and a half. I love them. Is this loving quad teleporting my guys around? This is madness.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god it's not the Quad there's an Aspos EX right next to it and every now and then it just moves your guys to somewhere completely random on the field. Who made this. I guess Sumire is just going to be the "here's some poo poo we made and thought needed to be kept far away from the main game" and honesty I dig it.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Finished the game

Loved it!

My only complaints are that I hoped we got more of the 2188 version of the characters like Nenji, Ryoko and Ida who basically are also the reason the whole thing went to poo poo. Also that Nenji's father who was mentioned in one scene and log, should have made that person be Nenji himself but evil because why use a new character out of nowhere in the backstory where it could be Nenji since you know it would be like "wow he was really evil huh"

Also big props to try keeping things all answered but my original question of Yuki, Ryouko and Ei not being shot by Megumi is a weird thing not to show since it's such a big thing not to show or even bring up at all

Also the whole Control Key is a weird plot point where it's important but it goes nowhere? Like how did Natsumi get it from Nenji? And what was the point of 426 shooting her later and saying he now controls the one that controls the Kaiju? Didnt get that plot point at all since it gets dropped

Also was expecting a twist about the 15 pilots people since they were being so coy about not mentioning the full list of the 15 in a file or scene. Yeah you would assume it would be Tamao the 15th one but I dunno they never said it and she was out of action during most of the game so I was expecting something to come up with that like Miwako being the one after all

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

IceBorg posted:

Finished the game

Also big props to try keeping things all answered but my original question of Yuki, Ryouko and Ei not being shot by Megumi is a weird thing not to show since it's such a big thing not to show or even bring up at all

The game addresses this but in true 13 Sentinels fashion it's so out of order that you could be forgiven for missing it.

Ei (and Juro for that matter although he gets shot anyway) was already able to pilot Sentinels but was hosed up by DD-428; however, Okino does some surgery to Miura that basically lets him pilot Sentinels without suffering the effects of DD-428. In addition, this proliferates to anyone who comes in contact with him, which by endgame is pretty much everyone, so Ei ends up not needing to get shot. This is explicit in data files but not in-game scenes. This is also true for Ryoko, but with the additional wrinkle that by the end of her story her brain is so fried by DD-428 already that it doesn't matter if she got the shot or not.

Yuki specifically is injected with nanomachines off-screen by the 428-possessed Tamao android while it's posing as Erika Aiba; again, I'm pretty sure this is explicit in data files and only hinted at by Yuki after the 'android on the bridge' event (I think she says something along the lines of 'who knows that she was doing to me'. These nanomachines do the same thing as the 'magical gun' so Yuki didn't need to get shot either (hence why Fluffy doesn't send Megumi after her).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've learned that Sumire Ward apparently goes on for like 9999 waves or something, so after 30 I think that's gonna be it for me. I got the plat from the story missions anyway. Besides, I think it about peaked with the one fight with the EX Quad and the 3 EX Carriers and the novelty EX Aspos that surprise teleports your dudes to completely random locations at the start of the map, and that's the first boss.

I choose to believe that the deal with Sumire Ward is they fixed the sim up and are just playing for fun now that they won't die if it goes poorly. I wish there was still some character chatter before the missions though.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

IceBorg posted:

Also the whole Control Key is a weird plot point where it's important but it goes nowhere? Like how did Natsumi get it from Nenji? And what was the point of 426 shooting her later and saying he now controls the one that controls the Kaiju? Didnt get that plot point at all since it gets dropped

It's all in 426's explanation to Okino. The original plan was to stop the invasion by destroying the key but he eventually found out all 15 are infected by the virus and if you kill or incapacitate one commander another one will just activate. So instead he switched his plan to altering the kaiju program to add metachips. Upon hearing it Okino similarly drops his pursuit of the key.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Atlus has revealed the cover art and the full tracklist for the upcoming 13 Sentinels remix/arrange album.

https://personacentral.com/13-sentinels-remix-album-cover-art/

The cover is kind of a spoiler! Don't click it if you're not in the cool kid club!

New Miyuki Inaba song!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
okay seeing this just confirms a cursed take that's been percolating in my brain for a while

this game is anime homestuck

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looper posted:

okay seeing this just confirms a cursed take that's been percolating in my brain for a while

I hate that you've said this because you're kinda entirely correct

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

god.....loving drat it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looper posted:

you fucker

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I went out of my way to learn absolutely nothing about Homestuck because the fandom seemed to be insufferable, so thankfully the game remains unspoiled for me!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I went out of my way to learn absolutely nothing about Homestuck because the fandom seemed to be insufferable, so thankfully the game remains unspoiled for me!

same, thank god

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I finished this last night and I have a burning question: what is Miura wearing on his lower legs? In one scene you see him without shoes on and the bandages (?) Aren't on his feet. It looks like part of his uniform rather than a double lower leg injury.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

redreader posted:

I finished this last night and I have a burning question: what is Miura wearing on his lower legs? In one scene you see him without shoes on and the bandages (?) Aren't on his feet. It looks like part of his uniform rather than a double lower leg injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttee

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Is it just my controller? I've noticed in combat, often I'm selecting someone's action and then suddenly I'm out of the menu and combat is flowing again. I haven't noticed it with any other games but I bet it is my controller :( Otherwise it's a bug?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

redreader posted:

Is it just my controller? I've noticed in combat, often I'm selecting someone's action and then suddenly I'm out of the menu and combat is flowing again. I haven't noticed it with any other games but I bet it is my controller :( Otherwise it's a bug?

That happened all the time whenever I was playing. It was extremely annoying during the final fights.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I got an A-rank in the final mission first time I played it. So this time I loaded everyone up to level 10 in all stats and 20 in the EP stat, with +8 for all skills . When I finished it played the story, I said 'skip', and it booted me to the menu with a save. I didn't get a mission rank screen at all. I think I actually did worse somehow than my first try, so that loving sucks. I didn't use missile rain this time, although I did use super large missile which loving RULES, I had 2 sentry people: Shinonome and Fuyusaka, and Miura for super large missile, the second and third first gen guys, and Yuki. I suppose next time I try I'll have 3 people for missile rain because it's anti-air and anti-ground. Also with level 20 on Generator people start with half-ep but recharge really fast, and miura can use super large missile twice in a row for 750 EP each time. I suspect with 3 3rd-gen I can use 2 for missile rains non-stop and one for super-large missile. I think my sentry guns were also getting destroyed a lot. I used Yuki mostly for shield and I had city 80% at the end, and terminal on 55% even though I used a restore already. I used the first-gen guys for a couple of anti-air flairs then beating up robots with emp if needed, then demolisher blade.[/spoiler]

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Spiggy posted:

That happened all the time whenever I was playing. It was extremely annoying during the final fights.

I don't know about all the time but in the next to last stage the boss has an EMP that doesn't seem to have much effect other than cancelling people's orders and making gen 4s walk for a while. It's not communicated well.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

lets hang out posted:

I don't know about all the time but in the next to last stage the boss has an EMP that doesn't seem to have much effect other than cancelling people's orders and making gen 4s walk for a while. It's not communicated well.

Maybe it felt like all the time because that's the only stage I played more than once and played it far too many times to get the max rank on it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

lets hang out posted:

Does the EMP make you stop being in the weapon selection menu and make time start going again? It's so loving annoying.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

redreader posted:

Does the EMP make you stop being in the weapon selection menu and make time start going again? It's so loving annoying.

I don't think so. I never experienced that, it could be a controller problem like you thought

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

redreader posted:

Not a bug. It's just that the action is always flowing. The battle menus don't actually pause it, just slow it down a whole lot, and if a new spawn occurs that the game wants you to see (or any event that needs focusing on) you'll be taken out of the menu.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also I've found the action in Destruction is very slightly asynchronous; the most common effect of this is that a lot of the time you'll end the mission and get to open somebody's menu before the game processes that you're done, and it'll wait a few seconds and then kick you out. I want to say the quad's EMP does something similar.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

This game is really good. Holy poo poo. In a stacked year where I thought my GOTY was already set, this just blew everything else out of the water. I was completely absorbed for the last week until I finished it and got the platinum trophy. Buy this game. Play this game. Eat the yakisoba pan and fear the hemborger, like a true Son of Japan.

Yuki Takamiya is the fuckin GOAT

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:hai:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yes I made yakisoba pan (twice) and yes I can see where Hijiyama is coming from

Hemborger is next

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

eating only apples posted:

Yes I made yakisoba pan (twice) and yes I can see where Hijiyama is coming from

Hemborger is next

You wanna drop a link to that recipe?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

wuggles posted:

You wanna drop a link to that recipe?

I used this one for inspiration but winged it mostly. Storebought yakisoba sauce for ease (I needed it to be vegetarian), just make sure the noodles are dryish or everything'll get soggy. You need the beni shoga (red pickled ginger), aonori and kewpie mayo for sure, adds a lot of interest. I wanted to do cabbage with the noodles too but used brioche buns which were too small to fit much more inside, I'm not much of a baker so didn't make them myself. So went easy on the other ingredients, just onion and carrot matchsticks with the noodles.

And not kidding, I'm making hambagu this week, one vegetarian version, one proper one for me :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

eating only apples posted:

I used this one for inspiration but winged it mostly. Storebought yakisoba sauce for ease (I needed it to be vegetarian), just make sure the noodles are dryish or everything'll get soggy. You need the beni shoga (red pickled ginger), aonori and kewpie mayo for sure, adds a lot of interest. I wanted to do cabbage with the noodles too but used brioche buns which were too small to fit much more inside, I'm not much of a baker so didn't make them myself. So went easy on the other ingredients, just onion and carrot matchsticks with the noodles.

And not kidding, I'm making hambagu this week, one vegetarian version, one proper one for me :smug:

Nice, thanks!