Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wonder how many chuds are pissed off that their Christmas packages may be late while simultaneously failing to realize it was their Dear Leader who defunded the Postal Service in an attempt to stop mail-in ballots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

CBJSprague24 posted:

I wonder how many chuds are pissed off that their Christmas packages may be late while simultaneously failing to realize it was their Dear Leader who defunded the Postal Service in an attempt to stop mail-in ballots.

all of them

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Even if means testing was good and America had a unimpeachable system for doing it prior to the pandemic (lol), there wouldn’t be enough clerks to process the deluge of legitimate claims. The scale of distress is too much.

The payments are already means tested based on previous year AGI.

TCD posted:

It helps out some of those who had an adult wanting to return to the workforce only to find hiring pretty grim right now. Because my wife voluntarily left the workforce prior to the pandemic (having a kid) she doesn't qualify for any of the unemployment assistance.

Also, from talking with friends/family, even those with jobs, the stability of those jobs is a lot less certain then it was a year ago. Extra disposable income is great to help savings, emergency funds, etc.

I get that there are other cases, but it just seems to make more sense to replace income for people who lost it or saw it decline. Unemployment tends to be less than peoples' pay, meanwhile families who haven't been financially impacted get the same payment as everyone else.

I like the idea of UBI in general, but the stimulus as written gives the same amount of money to an hourly worker who has had their income go way down as it does to a software engineer whose only burden is logging onto VPN. How does that make sense?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
As someone who spent the last year unemployed but also not qualified for unemployment benefits which lawmakers genitalia have I got to apply my mouth to to get some motherfucking money?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm really looking for happier things, so here appears to be one:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1341794454550814730?s=19

The Judge is literally saying "ok, we'll start the briefings once you serve the Electoral College and provide proof. Good luck!"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Frantically searching for Electoral College Landscaping

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

As someone who spent the last year unemployed but also not qualified for unemployment benefits which lawmakers genitalia have I got to apply my mouth to to get some motherfucking money?

:same:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

I'm really looking for happier things, so here appears to be one:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1341794454550814730?s=19

The Judge is literally saying "ok, we'll start the briefings once you serve the Electoral College and provide proof. Good luck!"

I mentioned this stuff to my boss this morning and he went full on :stare: for a moment.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mentioned this stuff to my boss this morning and he went full on :stare: for a moment.

Actually a question for your legal brain:

https://twitter.com/RamCNN/status/1341804240713465863?s=19

I interpret this as "here comes the pain". The legal voices I'm hearing from basically say that Dominion has a serious, no-bullshit defamation claim in a world where almost all defamation claims are bullshit. That about right?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The payments are already means tested based on previous year AGI.

I get that there are other cases, but it just seems to make more sense to replace income for people who lost it or saw it decline. Unemployment tends to be less than peoples' pay, meanwhile families who haven't been financially impacted get the same payment as everyone else.

I like the idea of UBI in general, but the stimulus as written gives the same amount of money to an hourly worker who has had their income go way down as it does to a software engineer whose only burden is logging onto VPN. How does that make sense?

If you don’t need the money, just donate it to the local food bank. That’s what lots of software devs in my circle have done.

Adding more steps to the rollout of the stimulus slows things down and hurts those who need it most.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

I interpret this as "here comes the pain". The legal voices I'm hearing from basically say that Dominion has a serious, no-bullshit defamation claim in a world where almost all defamation claims are bullshit. That about right?

When you sell voting machines and someone claims your machine is not only defective but intentionally so in order to undermine democratic processes then yeah, you have a solid claim

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A few of the problems with extending unemployment benefits:

-Stimulus checks don't require you to prove to a bureaucrat that you qualify for the benefit
-UI money doesn't help those who never properly entered the workforce. If you entered the labor force in 2019 or 2020 but either never got a job before everything went to poo poo or had some basic contractor work, RIP your UI eligibility
-Independent contractors. Most states do not give UI benefits for that. CARES act gave states that option, but did not mandate it

-Not so tangible: Just easier to sell to people and easier to explain.

Now, most nations that already have more robust social welfare and safety nets used unemployment as their means for distributing stimulus and relief. But those nations already have more robust social welfare and safety nets!

If you're really concerned with giving money to people who have jobs, just ensure stimulus money is taxable. If someone was making 100K already and got 2K in stimulus, at least they're paying 22% of that stimulus back to the IRS. If someone else was making little to nothing, not so much!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
This is probably also Dominion's last chance to make any money after this cause their reputation is going to be ruined no matter what happens. They need to change names or dissolve or whatever after this cause no one is going to be using them again after this

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This is probably also Dominion's last chance to make any money after this cause their reputation is going to be ruined no matter what happens. They need to change names or dissolve or whatever after this cause no one is going to be using them again after this

Those issues and their related expenses will undoubtedly be included in the assessment of damages that Dominion has faced as a result of this disinformation campaign, along with resulting costs for security needs and potentially even lobbying efforts / rebranding expenses.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly they allege as the resulting damage from these conspiracy allegations. Considering how many states use their machines it's probably going to be pretty hefty

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

If you don’t need the money, just donate it to the local food bank. That’s what lots of software devs in my circle have done.

Adding more steps to the rollout of the stimulus slows things down and hurts those who need it most.

Personally, I don't need it but my wife and I both work in nonprofit and so things are always tenuous. Having the extra free Trump Bux made us a lot more comfortable getting takeout from local restaurants during this. Putting it back into the local economy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

A few of the problems with extending unemployment benefits:

-Stimulus checks don't require you to prove to a bureaucrat that you qualify for the benefit
-UI money doesn't help those who never properly entered the workforce. If you entered the labor force in 2019 or 2020 but either never got a job before everything went to poo poo or had some basic contractor work, RIP your UI eligibility
-Independent contractors. Most states do not give UI benefits for that. CARES act gave states that option, but did not mandate it

-Not so tangible: Just easier to sell to people and easier to explain.

Now, most nations that already have more robust social welfare and safety nets used unemployment as their means for distributing stimulus and relief. But those nations already have more robust social welfare and safety nets!

If you're really concerned with giving money to people who have jobs, just ensure stimulus money is taxable. If someone was making 100K already and got 2K in stimulus, at least they're paying 22% of that stimulus back to the IRS. If someone else was making little to nothing, not so much!

I can say from personal experience trying to get unemployment money out of Arizona is like getting loving blood from a stone.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Mlillions have either taken massive pay cuts or lost a job and taken a much less well paying one.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hekk posted:

Splitting this one 50/50 between the local food bank and donating to the GA senate campaigns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

My esteemed colleague has already responded, but let me add a little bit. Newsmax and Fox News both put segments on the air in response to the C&D letter debunking each and every dominion/smartmatic conspiracy theory.

These software companies have as close to a slam dunk defamation case as possible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Extremely cursed take: giving stimulus money to those who are still employed might help them afford the legal work to evict their tenant(s)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

My esteemed colleague has already responded, but let me add a little bit. Newsmax and Fox News both put segments on the air in response to the C&D letter debunking each and every dominion/smartmatic conspiracy theory.

These software companies have as close to a slam dunk defamation case as possible.

Hilariously, OANN has not gotten the message, hope they enjoy the lawsuit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Hilariously, OANN has not gotten the message, hope they enjoy the lawsuit.

Has anybody said “OANNism” yet?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

mlmp08 posted:

Extremely cursed take: giving stimulus money to those who are still employed might help them afford the legal work to evict their tenant(s)

Depending on how their rental operations are structured, many landlords already had access to bundles through the PPP, potentially. Evicting a tenant is typically a discount affair as is - in many jurisdictions you'll have the same pissant baby attorney filing and managing dozens of cases a day because people.facing eviction can't afford representation and don't know what their rights are or the procedural requirements for the eviction process.

Anecdotal but a friend of mine who worked for a housing clinic managed to stave of an eviction for over a year due to procedural issues with the case. It's absolutely an area where people desperately need legal representation because of how specific the laws are to different jurisdictions. Boulder just passed an ordinance granting indigent representation to residents facing eviction. Hopefully it catches on elsewhere, fast.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Frantically searching for Electoral College Landscaping

:lol:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Mlillions have either taken massive pay cuts or lost a job and taken a much less well paying one.

But enough about 21st century job creation...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1341418729100423169

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So Rudy is just turning even more so into Lionel Hutz

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nick Soapdish posted:

So Rudy is just turning even more so into Lionel Hutz

Unfortunately with none of the Phil Hartman voice work.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

He posted that tweet right before it came out that SDNY already have a lot of his emails, because emails go two ways.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1341513648540401668?s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Anyone else wondering if they sue Trump himself as well January 21st?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1341839584125173761?s=19

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1341839588462047233?s=19

He ain't letting go of the nonsense yet.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
So is that the defense budget or something? Has a president every vetoed something like this before?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So is that the defense budget or something? Has a president every vetoed something like this before?

It's like the sixth time since 1961

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1341843088273248258?s=19

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1341843479962521602?s=19

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1341844513950740480?s=19

If only people's lives didn't hang in the balance of all this dumb poo poo, I'd be laughing my balls off.

Override votes next week!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
2020 is the stupidest year on record and with just days left on the clock it is determined to run up the score

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I still don’t think an override is guaranteed but I’m ready to enjoy the show

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Eugene_Scott/status/1341358952832000001

McNally posted:

It's like the sixth time since 1961

hmm, obama even did it in 2015

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

There's some reddit post that floats around in the gbs trump thread from a guy who apparently lives somewhere deep red that pretty much says "mask wearing is perceived as a sign of weakness" in those areas, so I guess that tracks.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

So masculine they have crystal charging sessions with their best buds

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
California is doing worse right now than NY was back in the early months of the pandemic. So what do we do? Well gently caress you no lock downs we have celebs running maskless caroling!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/entertainment/kirk-cameron-protests/index.html

quote:

Actor Kirk Cameron is facing criticism for organizing at least two events in Southern California in recent weeks, where dozens of mask-less people stood shoulder-to-shoulder to sing Christmas carols in protest of state and local stay-at-home mandates.
"I'm getting ready to go out in 38 minutes, it's T-38 minutes for our Christmas caroling peaceful protest," Cameron said in an Instagram post in advance of an event held in the parking lot of The Oaks mall in Thousand Oaks, California. "We are going to be celebrating our God-given liberties, our constitutionally protected rights at this time at Christmas to sing Christmas songs to gather, to assemble, and to sing about the birth of our savior."

CA has a lot of lockdowns right now, my county started a new one a while back that lasts till the 6th. ICU beds in the state are full. There isn't even enough traveler nurses to fill slots and we are asking for nurses from other countries. But ya gently caress it lets protest the lockdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Those leopards can't help themselves once they start going to town on all those delicious faces :sad: