Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

His Dragon Age 2 video disappeared too.

Honestly, I do miss his content because he says a lot about complex ideas and applying them to video games in such a short amount of time. That Shandification video is paced supremely well and just as well written. I can listen/watch a few people talk about something for a couple of hours but MrBTongue's stuff was really interesting and bite-sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it's really surprising how good his videos are considering they are almost all shackled to the Mr. Plinkett style. His video on GoT perfectly summarizes what D&D failed to understand about the setting (and really everything wrong with the modern conception of a "badass" in media) and also hilariously, perfectly predicted what would happen when Septon Meribald was inevitably adapted in the show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

YouTube has to be the worst to try to put effort into. You see stream clips or people doing no effort reaction vids do numbers while you well edited and researched piece goes nowhere unless the algorithm decides to throw you a bone.

The funniest was I had some random true crime videos commended to me from this channel called Criminally Listed. He gets near a million views on the low end for every video (and several million on a bunch) but he might have the worst speaking voice I've ever heard. I've never understood how his channel is so popular.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

YouTube has to be the worst to try to put effort into. You see stream clips or people doing no effort reaction vids do numbers while you well edited and researched piece goes nowhere unless the algorithm decides to throw you a bone.

The funniest was I had some random true crime videos commended to me from this channel called Criminally Listed. He gets near a million views on the low end for every video (and several million on a bunch) but he might have the worst speaking voice I've ever heard. I've never understood how his channel is so popular.

its because quick short list poo poo gets viewed because most people watch youtube on the shitter or during a quick meal and they can finish it up quick. its also true crime is a bloated field and outside a few authors and podcasts, its mostly cheap peddled crap OR gross weirdos. i recommend last podcast on the left and jack olsen/Harold Schechter.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 23, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah it's just there seem to be so many of that type but this guy with the worst voice is getting the views.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's no surprise that most creators who put actual time and effort into well made, longer videos also tend to rely on a secondary source of income like Patreon. Youtube can really only bring in a workable amount of income if you're uploaded every day, or even multiple times a day, and bringing in 1M+ views.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because quick short list poo poo gets viewed because most people watch youtube on the shitter or during a quick meal and they can finish it up quick. its also true crime is a bloated field and outside a few authors and podcasts, its mostly cheap peddled crap OR gross weirdos. i recommend last podcast on the left and jack olsen/Harold Schechter.

Crime in sports/small town murder is good too (Both by the same guys)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis is a good VG reviewer who is slowing down his channel due to lack of traffic. He is somewhat annoyed that his quick 40 minute video, about how average Cyberpunk is beneath the bugs, got far bigger numbers than the 70 odd videos he did work on fully.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Curiosity Stream is the newer service that some creators have been posting to, right? How stingy are they with algorithms and copyright abuse?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violet_Sky posted:

Crime in sports/small town murder is good too (Both by the same guys)

i'll have to try it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Chris Davis is a good VG reviewer who is slowing down his channel due to lack of traffic. He is somewhat annoyed that his quick 40 minute video, about how average Cyberpunk is beneath the bugs, got far bigger numbers than the 70 odd videos he did work on fully.

yeah he is good. as is Noah Caldwell-Gervais who isnt really a reviewer but idk his stuff is great.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think Mr.Btongue was articles for the 20 Sided Tale blog for a bit, although the poor website design makes it hard to actually find his writing.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Macaluso posted:

The story stuff that I have done so far is really good, and the voice acting is fantastic.

You CAN'T romance just any of the romance options though, each gender has one gay and one straight option and that means Panam is straight male only and that's hosed up cause why would I ever play as male V :colbert:

Cyberpunk 2077 is Conservative as hell. It also happens to be really horny.

That's the games politics in a nutshell.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh yeah it's just there seem to be so many of that type but this guy with the worst voice is getting the views.

I think Chills is the champion for "how the hell is this a mega-popular channel?", especially given the voice and the complete disparity between the voice and the subject matter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7GPlJbVZg

Like, seriously, he's improved since his older videos and still sounds like this. 5.4 million subs. And now I'm going to have to "not interested" his videos for a month for searching for one.

Farm Frenzy posted:

everything about the writing in bethesda fallout games is so bizzare and inconsistent. it'd make more sense if they were universally poo poo but they always sneak in one or two areas and quests that are actually well made and thoughtful. something is just wrong with they write and design games at the highest levels.
From my understanding it was a "give everyone on the team a little spot on the map to make something" and a few people on the team would go hogwild and make something great. When they had time to actually finish stuff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

chills being unthinkably popular at least gave us people doing chills impressions which never gets old to me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stillvisions posted:

I think Chills is the champion for "how the hell is this a mega-popular channel?", especially given the voice and the complete disparity between the voice and the subject matter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7GPlJbVZg

Like, seriously, he's improved since his older videos and still sounds like this. 5.4 million subs. And now I'm going to have to "not interested" his videos for a month for searching for one.

hahahahah that sounds like a parody.

This is the guy I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9h515My14

He almost sounds like an alien trying to mimic a human. Monotone and then stretching out the last syllable of each sentence for god knows what reason.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the crown king will always be burger king foot lettuce

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you can fire me, but you can't unfoot that lettuce

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Ross gives us an Christmas game that goes places.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpL5KDiqgP0

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Number 15: Burger King Foot Lettuce is such an all-time legendary moment that Chills deserves to rake in millions of views until the end of time for it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahahahah that sounds like a parody.

This is the guy I was talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9h515My14

He almost sounds like an alien trying to mimic a human. Monotone and then stretching out the last syllable of each sentence for god knows what reason.
Haha holy poo poo, I was just about to post him. How did Mr Plinkett on tranquilizers get 700.000 subs.

This is the only crime youtuber I've been able to stand, mainly because he doesn't do a stupid spooky voice, seems to actually do his research and usually attaches fundraisers for crime related charities like The DNA Doe Project to his videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?itsjoshuamiles?videos

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

stillvisions posted:

This is reminding me of when I tried to listen to the podcast Creepy and the guy's voice is just so fake at trying to sound scary it's an instant turn off.

(Non of their guest narrators are good either. It's just awful acting and grating voices all around.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Vagabong posted:

I think Mr.Btongue was articles for the 20 Sided Tale blog for a bit, although the poor website design makes it hard to actually find his writing.

Yeah he was running a guest column there for a while. I think it ran its course (he largely talked about Game of Thrones) but hell if I know for sure because I eventually got real tired of Shamus Young's "no politics" stance and stopped paying attention to the site.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I suspect Chills is popular because his voice/tone and subject matter are just very very funny when placed together.

Kinda reminds me of a show on one of those discovery true crime channels called 'When Murder Comes to Town' and the guy who does the voice over naration has this weirdly sinister yet cartoony voice, he sounds like The Brain from the Animainiacs it rules.

Anyway I try to avoid criticising people's speaking voices mine is both monotone and slurred so who am I to judge. Also I remember seeing a lot of complaints and insults directed at that guy from gamexplain until it became common knowledge he was partially deaf. Maybe theres a reason someones voice is a bit off y'know?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was gonna say, speaking from experience another possibility is being on the spectrum.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://youtu.be/MBCP7h2RhVA

SimpleFlips has now, finally, collected every star in Super Mario 64 while being pursued by a deadly 1-up. This last episode has some of the stars that he was the least sure he would be able to get, including one for which he had to recruit the irreplacable Pannenkoek just to find a possible route.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

I suspect Chills is popular because his voice/tone and subject matter are just very very funny when placed together.

Kinda reminds me of a show on one of those discovery true crime channels called 'When Murder Comes to Town' and the guy who does the voice over naration has this weirdly sinister yet cartoony voice, he sounds like The Brain from the Animainiacs it rules.

Anyway I try to avoid criticising people's speaking voices mine is both monotone and slurred so who am I to judge. Also I remember seeing a lot of complaints and insults directed at that guy from gamexplain until it became common knowledge he was partially deaf. Maybe theres a reason someones voice is a bit off y'know?

The Murder Comes to Town guy sounds like he’s trying to sound like Peter Thomas, the sublime narrator of Forensic Files, but he does end up sounding exactly like Maurice Lamarche. I had to check to be sure that it wasn’t him.

That scary youtube video guy who goes way up on each final syllable sounded like a parody to me. The selection of “supernatural” videos is so lame that I thought he must be making fun of the people who make videos like that, a lot of whom have an affect inappropriate to the subject and overexplain everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chills is sincere hence why he’s so funny.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbZo4x0NbbI

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEzOylq9rnQ&t=175s
Seems like he initially wanted someone else to narrate because he knew that he wasn't good at it. He naturally speaks slowly and coupled with him not emoting while reading out loud is what makes it sound a little weird I guess. He could unknowingly be on the spectrum or just not want to disclose that he is, I hadn't thought about that at all.
I do like his attitude, he seems like an alright kid :kiddo:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Civvie bringing out the Cancer Mouse voice for Hbomb's video.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Civvie bringing out the Cancer Mouse voice for Hbomb's video.

That's the bird robot, not Cancer mouse, he left for greener pastures earlier this year.

They're similar but not the same and I'm part of the problem.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Criminally Listed is actually one of the few true crime channels I enjoy. His voice is an aquired taste but it's well researched and doesn't just cover the same cases as everyone else all the time AKAIK.

I totally get why other people can't enjoy his voice, though.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Curiosity Stream is the newer service that some creators have been posting to, right? How stingy are they with algorithms and copyright abuse?

Curiosity Stream is more for full length documentaries done for places like National Geographic. Nebula is the service that you're thinking of, and as it looks like it's might be jointly owned by the creators in question, I imagine it's far better as far as copyright abuse and algorithms go. Seeing as it's a closed, invite only network things like copyright and DCMA claims would be handled by an actual person, rather than an automated system which is where most of the issues with Youtube occur.

I've been thinking of signing up for that Curiosity Stream & Nebula bundle as I watch a lot of content from those services on Youtube and it'd be easier to support the creators.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Got a 5 minute long PragerU ad with the Dirty Jobs host on the Hbomb New Vegas vid so youtube is having a normal time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Going back to the last page's discussion: Bethesda is the great evil of our time, but on the other hand, if we didn't have Oblivion we wouldn't have Demon's Souls and then Dark Souls and then Bloodborne. So maybe great evils... are good?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

i've probably linked this before but it's a very illuminating look into the process that creates a game like Skyrim or Fallout 4 and its kind of incredible how the dude comes off without intending to at all

watched all this thank you. jesus christ lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

x1o posted:

Curiosity Stream is more for full length documentaries done for places like National Geographic. Nebula is the service that you're thinking of, and as it looks like it's might be jointly owned by the creators in question, I imagine it's far better as far as copyright abuse and algorithms go. Seeing as it's a closed, invite only network things like copyright and DCMA claims would be handled by an actual person, rather than an automated system which is where most of the issues with Youtube occur.

I've been thinking of signing up for that Curiosity Stream & Nebula bundle as I watch a lot of content from those services on Youtube and it'd be easier to support the creators.

I've got that bundle and while Nebula is a great idea it has one fatal flaw: no notifications. Since it only gets a few videos per day at most (compared to the dozens I get from my YouTube subscriptions) I never remember to manually check it. I would probably watch it quite a bit more if I could get email or app-based notifications when a new video was posted but according to posts on their official Reddit they've been "working on it" for about a year now with nothing to show so far. Apparently they're prioritizing a switch to a different CDN for the actual video content but the absence of such a basic but critical feature for so long really doesn't bode well for the service.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi51-wjcwp8

i've probably linked this before but it's a very illuminating look into the process that creates a game like Skyrim or Fallout 4 and its kind of incredible how the dude comes off without intending to at all

The dialogue part (25 min) is very interesting because it's just staggering incompetence at display and it's so revealing:

'Oh so we found that playtesters and even our own developers don't want to hear voiced fluff. So we let them skip it. Wait why did we voice all these lines th-' *Todd Howard cuts the feed*

Like if the no one wants to sit through boring dialogue then maybe cut it? At least don't vest resources into voicing it? I mean this is a two-solution problem, either:

A: Write less boring dialogue
B: Write it, but don't voice it

But the guy just goes on like he demonstrated this poignant idea. Yeah sure poo poo players want to skip through boring garbage, maybe you should have learnt from that instead of gratuitously patting yourself on the back?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Chills is great because he comes off as the most credulous person on the planet. He once featured a video of a cgi kaiju hanging out in the New York Harbor and ended the clip by asking why the media or government isn't talking about this. Rationally I know he's just trying to hit the 10 minute mark, but I like to believe he watches movies and just takes them as actual historical footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

GBorBB talk about a ridiculous Christmas movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga3skxdlk0k