Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

F1 really could use 1-2 more teams. Bezos go do something with your unholy amount of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Zedd posted:

F1 really could use 1-2 more teams. Bezos go do something with your unholy amount of money.

Amazon prime, but your parcel is delivered by Grosjean crashing through your house in a blast of hellfire.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Theophany posted:

Amazon prime, but your parcel is delivered by Grosjean crashing through your house in a blast of hellfire.

GRO YEEEEAAAHHH

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Theophany posted:

I live on the 4th floor and the 1st floor people are old anyway, Sure why not.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
everyone who wants to use an incredibly cringe rivals pun itt should provide evidence of using it in a reply/quote/tagged social media post to the driver they're talking about or be shamed as a coward

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Theophany posted:

It's the circle of F1. The plucky young upstarts have at best a couple of seasons before they become garbage assholes that are part of the corporate machinery. The last example before Haas were Red Bull, the likes of HRT, Caterham and Marussia didn't survive long enough.

The only real good guys in F1 are Ferrari. Good, honest, not sexually aggressive lads who mean well and don't cheat. I bet Are Charles is the most gentlemanly gentleman. If he took me out on a date I'd just spend the entire night looking into his dreamy eyes whilst he put no pressure on me to do anything I wasn't comfortable with. We'd have dinner down around Larvotto and then go up to Nikki Beach on the rooftop of the Fairmont, have some cocktails, dance and just hold each other. Then we'd go our separate ways and I would wait for him to send me a message on WhatsApp and he wouldn't wait too long but when I get the message I'd know that he'd waited enough, but that it would have felt too long for him. :swoon:

:hmmyes:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Vando posted:

everyone who wants to use an incredibly cringe rivals pun itt should provide evidence of using it in a reply/quote/tagged social media post to the driver they're talking about or be shamed as a coward

are you fuckin telling me this thread has progressed beyong rivals puns????

gently caress you

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
honestly if "cringe" is acceptable but "meatspin" isnt just close the fuckin thread already

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vando posted:

lol you just want everyone's twitter names

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Zedd posted:

F1 won't be complete until the grid is 26 cars.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 24, 2020

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

OhsH posted:

honestly if "cringe" is acceptable but "meatspin" isnt just close the fuckin thread already

and dont make a new one for the actual races

fuckin christ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I will accept maxspin as an alternative just so discussion of the races are confusing as to whether people are referring to the driver or the action

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

OhsH posted:

and dont make a new one for the actual races

fuckin christ

if you post cringe you are going to lose subscriber

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

track day bro! posted:

if you post cringe you are going to lose subscriber

cringe day bro!

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
This thread has as much chance of making it through the offseason as Ferrari does of winning a WCC in the next 20 years.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
ireally like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDJIZkZ7L3I

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finished watching the 81 Grand Prix championship.

It's clear that Prost was a rising star at this point. Mired by reliability issues and veering Nigel Mansells in his path, but someone who reliably performed well when outside circumstances didn't steal that from him.

Reliability is a huge factor in these races. There was something of a running gag in the image of Riccardo Patrese entering the pits to retire, or a Ferrari spouting flame from its turbos. It's no surprise to see the Williams team as the runaway winners of the constructors championship, if only because both of their cars finished more often than not where their main competition each had at least one car that retired more races than it finished.

Gilles Villeneuve impressed. The few races his Ferrari let him finish were fought on bravery, taming the overpowered and wayward handling machine over circuits that often didn't advantage these things at all. Notably Monaco and a drenched Montreal circuit. At Montreal he took third place after driving with his front nosecone bent over backwards such that the mangled wing covered his eyes. Knowing what lies in his future for the 82 season is somewhat painful given that man's evident insanity and entertainment value.

I didn't get to watch the long career that the retiring driver Alan Jones had before this season, but his maneuvering in what was often a disadvantaged machine convinced me he must have been fantastic. His overtake at Hockenheim was astounding.

Not to say that Piquet didn't deserve his championship win, but the fact he drove a machine that capitalised on a rules loophole always casts a shadow on his performance. He crashed out many times in the season, but perhaps the fact he clawed his way to the top spot in spite of this says something for his skill.

Safety is nonexistent, and watching this with modern sensibilities is sometimes an uncomfortable experience.

An ambulance drove across the circuit mid race at Silverstone, causing a driver to slam on the brakes.
A mechanic got crushed between two arrows cars at Zolder.
Numerous drivers limped from their cars across the whole season from front end collisions. Not least Patrick Tambay whose Talbot peeled away like a banana skin at Caesar's Palace, leaving his legs exposed out of the front of the car. He was lucky to be able to hop away.
The willingness to leave cars and oil spills on the track so long as they were off the racing line is something I expect to see go sour in the future. I'm not too knowledgeable on the history of F1 or aware of any specific incident, but surely it stands to reason that another car may well end up where the cars, debris and oil spills ended up, on the basis that these things ended up there in the first place.

I think if I was watching at the time I'd have found myself supporting Gilles for a while. I'm not a Ferrari fan by any means but I found myself egging them on toward the middle of the championship. I got the sense that the Williams team were a dominant force in the sport who needed to be taken down a peg. Brabham ultimately delivered on that, but did so in a way that leaves a bitter taste. There was a period in the middle of the championship where Ferrari had visibly upped the power on its turbos and Villeneuve was powering his way to wins through sheer madness, and there's something about the spirit of that balls to the wall machine that I admired.

Next season will surely be the swan song of the Cosworth V8s and possibly the V12s. The turbos have shown that they pack a punch for their weight, and Renault was able to use that to score some fantastic victories. Any constructor with the money must surely be looking at that and seeing the future.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 24, 2020

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Azza Bamboo posted:

I didn't get to watch the long career that the retiring driver Alan Jones had before this season, but his maneuvering in what was often a disadvantaged machine convinced me he must have been fantastic. His overtake at Hockenheim was astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f015MaNaA9M

Worth a rewatch. And then they got Keke who wrestled the hell out of that Williams too. '82 is fun, enjoy!

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

If you want a good inside view on Williams in 1981 you can't go wrong with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4pejg43Ug

It's got a few seconds chopped off the end, but it's just Alan complaining about Ferrari.

E: Don't miss '83 either. It's a cracker of a season, and tests the -downforce theory with the fact the cars lost around 80% (according to Frank Dernie in a few sources) with the flat bottom rule.

And do keep going. The transition into the turbo composite chassis era is fascinating. The safety things you mention didn't really get better, the cars just happened to get much stronger as a happy accident. I never saw a safety car before 1993, but my memory isn't what It used to be.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 24, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Gilles by all accounts was a nice dude but he was loving insane.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

Gilles by all accounts was a nice dude but he was loving insane.

What went on with Pironi is difficult to understand, and it afflicted them both equally, with awful results.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frank Dernie is brilliant but also loving insane.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus can you confirm whether Dernie still adamantly maintains mechanical grip does not in fact exist and all grip comes purely from downforce?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

the corona quid posted:

Rebus can you confirm whether Dernie still adamantly maintains mechanical grip does not in fact exist and all grip comes purely from downforce?

I know the interview to which you're referring. I'll just say this: I would not want to debate kinematics with Dernie. Maybe the phrasing sounds odd but the point he's making is sound. If it wasn't then touring cars, motorbikes, and karts would have seen performance increases well in excess of what the tires developed over the last few decades. The only lateral load increases have come from aero. It's the same reason they're mucking about with aero in MotoGP.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Hello, foreigners!

On Christmas Day, we are bringing Winter Heat to the SASCAR Discord! We'll be simulwatching the 2020 World Figure 8 Championship 3-Hour Enduro race. The first hour will be a one-hour pre-show featuring various Winter Heat favorite races, followed by the 4-hour replay of the live broadcast. Festivities will start at 11 a.m Pacific / 2 p.m. Eastern / 7 p.m. GMT on December 25. Chat will be in the new #winterheat channel.

You will need to be on Discord desktop to join the live stream. It's 5 hours if you want to watch the whole thing, which you probably will because it is Christmas and there's Covid so you are probably alone and miserable. :smith: So cheer up by watching some batshit crazy racing! :unsmith:

See this post for more info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874931&pagenumber=3#post510988516

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I disapprove so many are wasting energy on this Meatzipan guy. What will be will be.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Sulman posted:

What went on with Pironi is difficult to understand, and it afflicted them both equally, with awful results.

on track i mean, 82 was a nightmare year for ferrari

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Zeta Acosta posted:

on track i mean, 82 was a nightmare year for ferrari

I remember this video interview Pironi did with Walker in 1983, one year after his life-changing accident at the same venue. It's sobering watching someone realise simultaneously that their life has changed and they may never get back what they once had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxL2y0QTt0k

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sulman posted:

I know the interview to which you're referring. I'll just say this: I would not want to debate kinematics with Dernie. Maybe the phrasing sounds odd but the point he's making is sound. If it wasn't then touring cars, motorbikes, and karts would have seen performance increases well in excess of what the tires developed over the last few decades. The only lateral load increases have come from aero. It's the same reason they're mucking about with aero in MotoGP.

Saying that the only lateral load increases can come from aero is the second most idiotic thing I’ve read today and the first thing was by you as well lmao.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I guess it’s just a big dumb mystery that Ducati, the absolute undisputed leader in MotoGP aerodynamics, has retained poo poo cornering speeds compared to all the other manufacturers other than Shitprilia. There’s definitely nothing else at play there that would have an impact on grip like the frame which Ducati management has acknowledged that they lag behind the Japanese manufacturers on 🤔

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

the corona quid posted:

Saying that the only lateral load increases can come from aero is the second most idiotic thing I’ve read today and the first thing was by you as well lmao.

Do you have a competing hypothesis or are you just going to continue sucking your own dick?

Don't worry about answering, I won't see it.

Sulman fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 24, 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sulman posted:

Do you have a competing hypothesis or are you just going to continue sucking your own dick?

Don't worry about answering.

Scroll right below that post my friend 😘

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Theophany posted:

The only real good guys in F1 are Ferrari. Good, honest, not sexually aggressive lads who mean well and don't cheat.

You do know they're Italians, right?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

the corona quid posted:

Never met him, think I once saw him in the office a couple of years ago. Similarly I once saw Patrick Head but it could easily also have been Meatloaf.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gravity is downforce so he's right

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dictator. posted:

You do know they're Italians, right?

Please do not be racist about my people.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I've worked out how to deal with the Meatspin problem.

Is there any way we can trick him into driving a car designed by Colin Chapman?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus posted:

Never met him, think I once saw him in the office a couple of years ago. Similarly I once saw Patrick Head but it could easily also have been Meatloaf.

Would you prefer to work with Patrick Head or Meatloaf from a car design perspective?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I disapprove so many are wasting energy on this Meatzipan guy. What will be will be.

That's a bold stand on this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sulman posted:

Don't worry about answering, I won't see it.

Lmao so edgy