Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

VorpalFish posted:

They don't need to hit 5.3 all core to take back a gaming performance win, and realistically that's probably the audience that makes most sense for these chips.

If by win you mean a ~1-3fps difference (going by rumors here but still) at a more reasonable ~4.8-5Ghz clock and around ~180-200W sure you're technically right.

Realistically though most are gonna look at that, shrug, and still keep buying Zen3. Or try to anyways. Maybe supply gets better for AMD in Q1-ish after the xmas rush is over for consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Are threadrippers going to be refreshed or have they dropped that line?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AARP LARPer posted:

Are threadrippers going to be refreshed or have they dropped that line?

The niche is a lot smaller now that normal Ryzens go up to 16 cores, right? Epyc is there if you have lots of money and want a bajillion cores. The combo of high clocks and lots of cores must be entirely thermally limited now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

"However, in August 2018, GlobalFoundries made the decision to suspend 7 nm development and planned production, citing the unaffordable costs to outfit Fab 8 for 7 nm production. GlobalFoundries held open the possibility of resuming 7 nm operations in the future if additional resources could be secured."

They straight up couldn't afford a 7nm foundry. At this point, even if they got the money to build one, the node would be outdated by the time they could start production runs of 7nm parts. They basically consigned themselves to being a second tier producer.

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, but they're also funded by Saudi blood oil money, so they could probably still work it out...

Paul MaudDib posted:

The problem was that GF apparently didn't have the physical floor space at their fabs so installing 7nm would have meant ripping out the older stuff that had apparently just started to break even, and Mubadala balked at that.

Not really clear why if they were short of fab space they didn't just build a new building? Like I'm sure installing an ultra-clean building is not cheap but it seems like it can't be all that much when considering the revenue you would lose from tearing out your old node, and compared to the development cost of the new node?

I guess the subtext here is that GloFo is not making the profits that TSMC is and they just really didn't want to stay in the horse race when they're barely breaking even.

it's not just that. Less than a year after they announced they were canning 7nm, they started flipping properties non-stop. I remember seeing in the news that the old IBM facility in East Fishkill was being sold to a third party less than half a year later. They conveniently pulled the plug at exactly the same moment that the IBM payments for taking over their old chipmaking business dried up, so it's not like they were hurting for real estate.

It's clear that whoever was in charge of blood money at Mubadala (and by extension, GloFo) was a real estate person more interested in it for the real estate and assets they could flip, as opposed to someone in the tech industry having a literal goddamn money printer. Jesus, can you imagine the Saudis going all in on fabs? They could have continued to cement their place as an economic world power for the next century as we move away from oil.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 24, 2020

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
They're not gonna drop Threadripper, it's normal for it to come months after the consumer chips. There's still a fair amount of prosumers and professionals at small companies who would appreciate not having to pay the full EPYC price. It's not something :pcgaming: gamers buy for the ultimate overkill anymore with mainstream going up to 16 cores yeah, it's now solidly in the prosumer or professional category.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/amds-rick-bergman-talks-about-current-and-next-gen-cpus-and-gpus

quote:

Bergman: “I can't talk about unannounced products, but we're committed to the Threadripper family. And so you could certainly expect that we’ll in the future continue to have products in that particular area. Absolutely.”

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Noobles posted:

It’s me, I’m the person running an FX-8350 in TYOOL 2020. I’ve got it paired with a 970 and on mid-low setting it plays decent enough all things considered, just doesn’t look amazing.

I really can’t wait for 5 series supplies to stabilize so I can finally retire this worn out bulldozer.
Sup bulldozer bro! I run an FX-9590 for the sheer novelty of this 220w turd, I have a Ryzen 2600 for my main rig (although ithat whole computer has been offline for a few months now because :effort: )

BTW, I have an FX-9370 that might find it's way to either SA-Mart or eBay soon. . . I doubt your board can support it since the boards that can handle 220w brodozers are kinda rare, but I believe you can under clock or something cross your fingers and hope it doesn't turbo on all 8 4 cores for too long. . . to make it work in lower power boards

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

The niche is a lot smaller now that normal Ryzens go up to 16 cores, right? Epyc is there if you have lots of money and want a bajillion cores. The combo of high clocks and lots of cores must be entirely thermally limited now.

Yeah, makes sense. I hadn't come across a threadripper reference in quite some time, but have seen the occasional Epyc mention here and there. I was just wondering. Thanks!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Not Wolverine posted:

I run an FX-9590 for the sheer novelty of this 220w turd

I love this and probably will try it at some point :lol:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MaxxBot posted:

I love this and probably will try it at some point :lol:

Novelty bulldozers are cool. I built one too.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MaxxBot posted:

They're not gonna drop Threadripper, it's normal for it to come months after the consumer chips.

I'm not taking a shot at anyone or being snarky, but I find it amusing that every new Ryzen generation people ask if Threadripper is dead now.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Guys is AMD going to leave the consumer-facing market segment where they take a gigantic dump on Intel by the largest margin? I think maybe they've done it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

fabs require a LOT of capital for relatively low return. if you're a investor with pockets deep enough to fund and operate a fab, there are easier ways to make money.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Wow, tough crowd tonight.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What kind of memory clocks are people getting on AMD 5 series chips?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3800 seems to be the new 3600. FCLK hits a brick wall at 2000 on zen 3 from what I see so 4000 is going to be the absolute limit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

3733/1867 @ 1:1. infinity fabric > 1867 isn't stable or doesn't post on a lot of motherboards right now. most people are waiting for AGESA updates and even Bullzoid has talked about what a shitshow the AMD AGESA updates are right now, and yeah it's quite bad when you get down to tinkering.

some people have done higher, but usually asynchronous with infinity fabric and memclock, or extremely lucky, or more typically using really high-end $400 motherboards with high-end b-die and a bit of luck https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dsu9K1Nt_7apHBdiy0MWVPcYjf6nOlr9CtkkfN78tSo/edit#gid=321590489

Everyone with gigabyte is pretty much stuck at a 1867 IF wall right now until we get some AGESA updates. Same applies to some other mobos. Some people who used to have 4000/2000 or at least 3800/1900 on Zen 2 on older BIOS versions ( like F11/F12) are unable to get it to work on the latest AGESA versions. I should also add it's even highly BIOS dependent too, some are getting 38/19 wall but using F31k, newer ones don't seem to work as well OC-wise so who loving knows, it's all early but I do hope it gets fixed at some point.

This was also a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEP8iVVQR-g and also briefly talk about a 1867 IF wall and why it's really common on anything not on a very high-end mobo (like asus x570 dark hero)
Some pretty nice benchmarks in it (albeit I would want to see at a high res myself)

It generally seems like getting to 3733 and tightening up timings and voltages is probably about the best gains you can get, especially for a cheaper motherboard and cheaper ram (i.e. the corsair micron e-die 32gb $90 kit). Above that yeah you can achieve it but probably won't see a real improvement and you'll be spending $400 on a mobo and $300-$400 on 32gb ram. Scarecrow is correct that 3200 is dumb and bad, but you should buy a good 3200 cl14 b-die or even a 3200-cl16 e-die and just OC it up to 3600/3733 (or beyond if you have a good mobo) and that'll be a hell of a lot more affordable and get you 99% anyways

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 24, 2020

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I'm running 3800/1900, my Ryzen 3000 chip could run that too but wasn't 100% stable while this time it seems to be.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dilber posted:

It came in yesterday, so I am lucky there.

Less lucky is the BIOS I flashed to yesterday had now been pulled for stability issues, so now i get to do a bunch of stress testing to see if I need to go to earlier or just wait for the next version.

Aw poo poo, I spoke too soon? My order changed from "Backordered" to "Order in progress" so seems like they really are cranking through em now.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I was having issues getting my 5900x to post with even just 3600/1800, but thankfully I managed to snag a BIOS update (blessed 1.1.0.0 patch D) that seems to have fixed everything.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
My system would boot up with 3600 XMP, but the windows event log was throwing tons of WHEA "A corrected hardware error has occurred" without any real load so I just backed it down to 3200 and am waiting on the BIOS updates.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

THF13 posted:

My system would boot up with 3600 XMP, but the windows event log was throwing tons of WHEA "A corrected hardware error has occurred" without any real load so I just backed it down to 3200 and am waiting on the BIOS updates.

you probably have to up the VSOC voltage. Zen3 is very VSOC hungry for higher IF and XMP doesn't adjust voltages

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ugh, careful ordering from antonline. they are legit but give you no shipping options and default to the worst UPS service. I was supposed to get my processor today but it might be delayed until after the holidays.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Careful you dont get a slow shipping speed, it might arrive slow"
thats not an antonline problem.

If you are ordering from them its not because you had options. You got lucky there was stock at all

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 24, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
fedex smartpost can kiss my rear end though, that is the worst service on the planet.

"whenever fedex has enough spare capacity to move it to your region, then the postman delivers it a week later"

I've had that take three or four weeks even in the before times, and not during the christmas season

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

On a weirdo ASRock board I've gotten up to 3866/1867 off of 3600 non-b-die RAM. It'd boot at 3866/1900 but games would crash within 5 minutes. 1933 IF wouldn't boot even after bumping VSOC to 1.3 and VDDG CCD and VDDG IO up to 1.15.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DrDork posted:

On a weirdo ASRock board I've gotten up to 3866/1867 off of 3600 non-b-die RAM. It'd boot at 3866/1900 but games would crash within 5 minutes. 1933 IF wouldn't boot even after bumping VSOC to 1.3 and VDDG CCD and VDDG IO up to 1.15.
hoyly gently caress that vsoc is insane wtf i wouldn't even dare try that high. 1.175v is considered max safe daily usage and even then prob want to keep it under 1.15, or ideally 1.1. I'm at 1.138v myself and I should prob bump that down. but yeah you can see what other people have achieved here for reference (i've also listed my own OC-ing) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dsu9K1Nt_7apHBdiy0MWVPcYjf6nOlr9CtkkfN78tSo/edit#gid=321590489

from what i undestand, Zen3 actually prefers lower VDDP and VDDG values, try to keep those like around 900-950mV and can improve stability. but yeah there's an IF wall at 1867 for most mobos right now, not much getting around that besides spending $700. and AMD's AGESA updates are a mess

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 24, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

"Careful you dont get a slow shipping speed, it might arrive slow"
thats not an antonline problem.

If you are ordering from them its not because you had options. You got lucky there was stock at all

uh i mean, its a problem ordering from them. it's not hard to find 5800s elsewhere for better shipping

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HP apparently has a history of having laptops take forever to ship. I helped my partner pick out an HP laptop with a Ryzen 4500U and did some minor "customization" in choosing the FHD IPS screen and bumping the RAM to 16GB, which apparently took about 3 weeks for them to do (I know they were probably waiting on fulfilling a certain number of like units, but still), and then it spent the last week in Memphis saying there was a problem with customs. I did some searches and apparently they have had poo poo like this happen for years and years, but I didn't think to check on the reputation when I was buying directly from Hewlett loving Packard.

As of today it was off customs hold and was claiming it would be delivered today, despite having to cover the ground from Tennessee to the West Coast.

drat thing better be in good shape when it finally gets here.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Booyah- posted:

uh i mean, its a problem ordering from them. it's not hard to find 5800s elsewhere for better shipping

It's not? Anyway it says UPS ground and sorry if a mod wants to come here and shut me up but trashing a retailer because UPS rescheduled your package delivery on goddamn christmas eve is so loving :goonsay:

Do you think antonline called them and asked them to reschedule? Do you think they sat on the order and shipped it just late enough using just the worst shipping method, cackling, knowing it wouldn't get to you and that Christmas was a friday this year?

UPS ground is not DHL smartpost, thats the same way Bestbuy shipped my 5600x and Newegg shipped my friend a 3070.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bus hustler posted:

It's not? Anyway it says UPS ground and sorry if a mod wants to come here and shut me up but trashing a retailer because UPS rescheduled your package delivery on goddamn christmas eve is so loving :goonsay:

Do you think antonline called them and asked them to reschedule? Do you think they sat on the order and shipped it just late enough using just the worst shipping method, cackling, knowing it wouldn't get to you and that Christmas was a friday this year?

UPS ground is not DHL smartpost, thats the same way Bestbuy shipped my 5600x and Newegg shipped my friend a 3070.

I was too hard in implying that antonline was bad or at fault. What I was trying to say is that antonline doesn’t tell you what shipping they use if you click through to order as fast as possible, which is what you have to do to secure a purchase at the moment.

UPS is generally terrible in my area, so if I’d known that the shipping was UPS in advance, I would have waited to buy from somewhere else. That’s all that I meant.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Xaris posted:

hoyly gently caress that vsoc is insane wtf i wouldn't even dare try that high.

Yeah, I just wanted to see if it would work. After I verified that no amount of voltage would get me past 1900 booting / 1867 stable, I just put it back to Auto which is much lower.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrike82 posted:

fabs require a LOT of capital for relatively low return. if you're a investor with pockets deep enough to fund and operate a fab, there are easier ways to make money.

Again, Saudi blood and oil money, and the Saudis are going to need some way to remain relevant, assuming the human species doesn't undergo societal collapse in the next fifty years or so.

There will still absolutely remain some flavor of petrochemical industry going forward. But burning oil for the sake of propultion, that is definitely going on its way out.

I want to share two articles that give me cause to believe that fully-electric and hybrid vehicles have finally hit the point of inevitability.

The first is this article by Bloomberg a few days ago, about how electric motorbikes are displacing gas-powered ones in East Africa: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-22/east-africa-s-electric-motorbikes-are-fueling-a-carbon-free-future

This second article from a research blog was originally published in 2015, but was more recently updated earlier this year in June, when Tesla came out with their annual impact report: https://maartensteinbuch.com/2015/01/24/tesla-model-s-battery-degradation-data/

The takeaway here is that if you properly cool your batteries, they will easily retain 90% of the capacity of a factory-new battery over the lifetime of the vehicle. It's heat what kills your phone batteries and makes them run out of juice as the phone gets older, not charging or discharging.

Combined with state and municipal governments rolling back incentives for solar because they don't need to incentivize it anymore, hypocritical "free market" politicians that have no business being in government demanding subsidies for the oil, coal, and gas industries because they can't compete with renewables, and the general breakneck pace of solar development where solar cells are basically obsolete as soon as they get installed, Saudi oil leverage is going to mean subsequently less and less as time goes on. They could do absolutely worse than going into semiconductor manufacturing. They could also probably do better. But oil is politically and economically on its way out. (even more so once someone figures out a way to make battery or hydrogen-powered airliners economically viable.)

But hey, I'm just some loving geek on the internet, not a state economist, so what the gently caress do I know.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 24, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But hey, I'm just some loving geek on the internet, not a state economist, so what the gently caress do I know.

But have you taken into account the only factor that matters? Number Must Go Up!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(even more so once someone figures out a way to make battery or hydrogen-powered airliners economically viable.)

that one's gonna be a while, because in aircraft design you care a lot about energy density and batteries/hydrogen are really heavy for the amount of power they give.

there are some single-engine trainers that are starting to be used in some flight schools but they are quite incapable compared to a real aircraft - they only have about a half hour of endurance. That's fine for a student who's gonna be practicing patterns or whatever but you're not gonna fly an airliner on that kind of range.

And airliners (and maybe bizjets) are where you really need to work. The military isn't gonna be an early adopter on electric or hydrogen aircraft (although they are looking at bio-derived liquid fuels), and the economics of the general aviation (small aircraft) market don't really support any sort of change, new aircraft production is at a virtual standstill.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 24, 2020

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If by win you mean a ~1-3fps difference (going by rumors here but still) at a more reasonable ~4.8-5Ghz clock and around ~180-200W sure you're technically right.

Realistically though most are gonna look at that, shrug, and still keep buying Zen3. Or try to anyways. Maybe supply gets better for AMD in Q1-ish after the xmas rush is over for consoles.

I'd be willing to bet stock vs stock it beats the 5900x in gaming workloads while coming within 20w of total system power consumption. You most definitely don't need 180w+.

How much that additional performance matters is up in the air of course, given that processor performance is arguably good enough for really good frame time consistency at high refresh rates, but the picture for intel probably doesn't look as bad as you're painting even though they'll still lose at efficiency.

For gaming at least, they're still sol for media creation and productivity unless they price really aggressively.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Paul MaudDib posted:

that one's gonna be a while, because in aircraft design you care a lot about energy density and batteries/hydrogen are really heavy for the amount of power they give.

As a teen in the 1990s I was all in on the looming hydrogen economy. But since the 1990s we've had really big jumps in photovoltaic efficiency and battery storage capability. Everything going electric is the sane way forward.

And once you start looking into it, hydrogen is just kind of a mess. You have to generate lots of electricity so that you can make yourself super-clean water and then electrolyze it into H2 and O2. Once you've actually made all this hydrogen, now you need to ship it to all the places that gasoline currently goes. In 4000PSI tanks.

And as Paul said, the energy density on gaseous H2 is really low, no matter how much pressure it's under (until you get into the regimes found in diamond anvils or the hearts of stars, where you can produce pressure ice).

The energy density on batteries is also currently low compared to jet fuel, but batteries are improving. Hydrogen will always be hydrogen. So my feeling is that it won't be batteries super-quickly, but it'll eventually be batteries.

You don't even have to change the engine design, except to replace the fuel burner with an arc discharge (or other form of high-intensity electric heater). Modern high-bypass turbofans generate the primary part of their thrust not from the burning of fuel itself (like a rocket), but from driving a turbine that compresses intake air before immediately turning around and heating it to produce thrust -- the air rapidly expands the air and exhausting it out the back. Then secondarily from the bypass fans, which act as many-bladed propellers. The system doesn't care where the heat comes from.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

VorpalFish posted:

I'd be willing to bet stock vs stock it beats the 5900x in gaming workloads while coming within 20w of total system power consumption. You most definitely don't need 180w+.

By all the rumors RKL gots a 250W PL2 power mode and Intel doesn't normally go doing that sort of thing for no reason. And there are plenty of "leaks" showing how it benches with a 125W or 250W power limit, Intel is not being subtle here with how they're presenting this thing or which way they want to push it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

By all the rumors RKL gots a 250W PL2 power mode and Intel doesn't normally go doing that sort of thing for no reason. And there are plenty of "leaks" showing how it benches with a 125W or 250W power limit, Intel is not being subtle here with how they're presenting this thing or which way they want to push it.

Is this known as the full netburst?

Though tejas was rumored to “only” be 150W

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

Is this known as the full netburst?

10980XE/Cascade Lake X gets that award imo, rocket lake at least looks like it’s gonna perform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

mdxi posted:

And as Paul said, the energy density on gaseous H2 is really low, no matter how much pressure it's under (until you get into the regimes found in diamond anvils or the hearts of stars, where you can produce pressure ice).

I'm given to believe that the real poo poo in 2H2 + O2 = 2H2O + heat is the LOX, as opposed to relying on ambient O2, and that a lot less of both hydrogen and LOX are needed when you aren't trying to do things like break the atmosphere of the planet.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 25, 2020