Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's plenty of manga content after GI. GI ends on volume 18 and now we're up to 36 and change.

Battle Olympia shows up again in the Manga, and is also the setting for the second Anime movie, which is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man this most recent Hiatus is long.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

The longest so far, in fact, and it shows no signs of stopping.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MonsterEnvy posted:

For perspective, Chainsawman started in Shonen Jump right after this hiatus started, and is now finished and has an anime announced before HxH has resumed.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The longest so far, in fact, and it shows no signs of stopping.

At this point I think we can just assume this manga will never be done and we won't be seeing the Dark Continent in our lifetime.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

What exactly enforces Nen conditions? If Kurapika sincerely (but mistakenly) believes a target is part of the Spider, does his power work or does he die?

I know I'm overthinking things but this story has a habit of explaining details so I'm wondering if this is explained.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nen appears to work on some kind of omniscient karmic system so he probably has a real bad time if he uses it on the wrong person despite his own beliefs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

What exactly enforces Nen conditions? If Kurapika sincerely (but mistakenly) believes a target is part of the Spider, does his power work or does he die?

I know I'm overthinking things but this story has a habit of explaining details so I'm wondering if this is explained.

If he used it on a non-Spider he'd probably die.

More interesting would be if he used it on a former Spider because it would be very Spidery to have one of the people who was most responsible for his action no longer a spider (and thus theoretically immune to his skills if they only work on active Spiders.)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If he used it on a non-Spider he'd probably die.

More interesting would be if he used it on a former Spider because it would be very Spidery to have one of the people who was most responsible for his action no longer a spider (and thus theoretically immune to his skills if they only work on active Spiders.)

That actually happened in the first movie. The chain worked.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lots of poo poo happened in the movies. as far as continuity goes, the movies are below fan-fics where gon learns he is a saiyan.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

based on chrollo's poo poo it's probably based on kurapika's perspective on what should happen

so the question is more if kurapika would suffer emotionally upon finding out the target wasn't a spider, and I think he probably wouldn't, the condition is based on focusing his hatred, not based on preventing collateral damage

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So it was never raveled why the spiders attacked the Kurta Clan right? I mean I assume its because someone paid them to do it. But like, during the Yorknew arc I really thought there would be a "true mastermind" reveal, and THAT would be Kurapika's real target. But then he wouldnt be able to use The Chains since this person isnt a spider, he just hired them to kill the clan.... buut that never even came up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So it was never raveled why the spiders attacked the Kurta Clan right? I mean I assume its because someone paid them to do it. But like, during the Yorknew arc I really thought there would be a "true mastermind" reveal, and THAT would be Kurapika's real target. But then he wouldnt be able to use The Chains since this person isnt a spider, he just hired them to kill the clan.... buut that never even came up.

They stole their eyes and sold them for a lot of money. That could be justification enough alone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

We know exactly why. Chrollo thought the eyes were pretty and valuable, so the spiders killed them all and stole all the eyes. Chrollo eventually go bored of admiring them like he does with everything they steal and sold them off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one hired them to rob the auction or cruise ship. they learned the location of something valuable and got together to take it. the kurta clan massacre was likely the same, though it is odd that they'd take on something that would require careful dissection and preservation of so many body parts. maybe they used to have a member who was better suited for that sort of thing?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Pretty sure that while they don't explicitly say why, they do say thay Chrollo does some hits just to admire whatever he got and when he gets bored of it he sells it in the black market.

So the massacre was even more meaningless.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hmm, OK. Fair enough, and that does make the act even more cruel and thoughtless.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

based on chrollo's poo poo it's probably based on kurapika's perspective on what should happen

so the question is more if kurapika would suffer emotionally upon finding out the target wasn't a spider, and I think he probably wouldn't, the condition is based on focusing his hatred, not based on preventing collateral damage

I agree with the first part, but I think that if Kurapika did find out that someone he used chain jail against wasn't a spider he would suffer blowback. Back in the Trick Tower he purposely made sure not to kill that one guy imitating a spider even though he was angry, plus there is the whole line about how chained down he is in his own right. I don't think he'd accept being wrong about a target.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no one hired them to rob the auction or cruise ship. they learned the location of something valuable and got together to take it. the kurta clan massacre was likely the same, though it is odd that they'd take on something that would require careful dissection and preservation of so many body parts. maybe they used to have a member who was better suited for that sort of thing?

Several of their members seem like they would have been fine at it. All they needed was some containers to preserve the eyes and it would go well.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think Kurapika's power will work with no immediate repercussions on anyone he fully believes is a Spider at the time of its use.

I also think Kurapika will get blowback if he does find out that they're not a Spider later on, at least at the time of his contact. Like if he bumps into Hisoka and Hisoka was like "Hey you remember ____? Just fyi he was never a proper Spider and was only pretending like me" and RIP Kurapika.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I was never really impressed by the reveal that Hisoka was just "pretending" to be a Spider. He knew them. He was even pretty chummy with Machi. Presumably he's been on other missions before Yorknew. I don't really see what the fact that his tattoo wasn't permanent has to do with anything.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's more that he never considered himself a Spider and had no pride/camaraderie with regards to the Phantom Troupe, and thus had no qualms betraying them, indirectly (Pakunoda) and directly (Shalnark, Kortopi) causing their deaths.

Sure, he was fond of Machi, but he was always out to kill Chrollo. And even then Machi was just one toy among many.

The Spiders are a dysfunctional group but they are sorta close, even if they bicker and poo poo. They've got their own set of rules, and Hisoka never intended on following any of them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I know the previous 4th (who was supposed to have been killed by Hisoka for his spot but actually survived cause what Hisoka killed was a puppet or some poo poo) appears in the movie but gently caress the movie.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It's possible Hisoka had never gone on another heist, or even done anything with the Spider beyond killing a member. We know he's one of the most recent recruits and the others make comments about his attendance.

Kurapika's vendetta was his opportunity to corner Chrollo into a fight, so of course he was going to show up this time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the spiders are a tightly bound group who would gladly die for each other. they are also an informal, loosely bound group that replaces dead members with random outsiders who aren't particularly loyal. so, there's a bit of a disconnect. hisoka is certainly no worse than fuckin' kalluto, the kid with more baggage than killua.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair, prior to Hisoka, the rest of the gang seemed pretty tight-knit. Silva killed a Spider once and while it's unclear who filled that person's void, the non-founder members (Shizuka, Mummy, Koltopi, Shalnark, and Phinx) all seem generally loyal to the group.

Then Hisoka joined, caused a death and contributed to Chrollo's temporary depowering before leaving, which meant the Spiders had to (presumably) be less picky about their members (cause their physical powerhouse Uvogin also died on top of that). Then after Chrollo got his powers back Hisoka personally killed 2 members, so the Spiders are this point are just pretty pissed and willing to do whatever to kill Hisoka, which is presumably why they agreed to let Illumi join their ranks.

Also Kalluto is pretty weak compared to the rest of the Spiders, kid thought he could take control over the group and then realized how far he was out of his depths when he saw them in action. They probably do not perceive him a threat no matter what he does.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm just saying that if I swear in as an American citizen, I don't think that "jokes on you I was just pretending" would hold up in a court of law.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh jay posted:

I was never really impressed by the reveal that Hisoka was just "pretending" to be a Spider. He knew them. He was even pretty chummy with Machi. Presumably he's been on other missions before Yorknew. I don't really see what the fact that his tattoo wasn't permanent has to do with anything.

oh jay posted:

I'm just saying that if I swear in as an American citizen, I don't think that "jokes on you I was just pretending" would hold up in a court of law.

Nen is shaped by belief. It's the reason for things like how Shizuku's vacuum can't suck up living things but can suck the blood out of living things, despite blood cells also being alive, and for the restrictions on the powers Chrollo was using during his fight with Hisoka, for some other examples of this. It doesn't care about the legal system or strict dictionary definitions or whatever unless that's what the person is going off of themselves when making their power.

In this case, no one involved in the situation sees Hisoka as "really" being a member of the Troupe (Story-wise, this is mostly important so Chrollo can tell Hisoka what Kurapika did to him at the end of the arc, since Kurapika's curse would kill Chrollo if he talked to any actual members. And you can't tell me the story would be better without Hisoka's reaction to what Chrollo had to say to him there.)

Hisoka sees the Troupe as at best toys and at worst distractions or obstacles, he has no interest in what they actually do, and from the start his only reason for joining was to fight Chrollo, so he doesn't think of himself as actually being a Spider.

Kurapika knows all this, and that Hisoka's a newer member who wasn't part of the massacre of his clan, and Hisoka is actually helping him to take down the Troupe, so he doesn't think of Hisoka as a Spider either.

And, heck, after Hisoka's confession and challenge Chrollo doesn't think of him as having ever been a true Spider either, hence him being willing to tell Hisoka what Kurapika did to him.

Compare him to a spy or double-agent is infiltrating an organization of some sort, or a cop going undercover in a gang or something; neither the members (if they find out about the true goals), the spy themselves, nor whoever is employing the spy, would likely consider them to "really" be part of that group, even if on paper they're officially a member or whatever, because they were only ever in it in order to work against it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 24, 2020

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Nen is shaped by belief. It's the reason for things like how Shizuku's vacuum can't suck up living things but can suck the blood out of living things, despite blood cells also being alive, and for the restrictions on the powers Chrollo was using during his fight with Hisoka, for some other examples of this. It doesn't care about the legal system or strict dictionary definitions or whatever unless that's what the person is going off of themselves when making their power.

In this case, no one involved in the situation sees Hisoka as "really" being a member of the Troupe (Story-wise, this is mostly important so Chrollo can tell Hisoka what Kurapika did to him at the end of the arc, since Kurapika's curse would kill Chrollo if he talked to any actual members. And you can't tell me the story would be better without Hisoka's reaction to what Chrollo had to say to him there.)

Hisoka sees the Troupe as at best toys and at worst distractions or obstacles, he has no interest in what they actually do, and from the start his only reason for joining was to fight Chrollo, so he doesn't think of himself as actually being a Spider.

Kurapika knows all this, and that Hisoka's a newer member who wasn't part of the massacre of his clan, and Hisoka is actually helping him to take down the Troupe, so he doesn't think of Hisoka as a Spider either.

And, heck, after Hisoka's confession and challenge Chrollo doesn't think of him as having ever been a true Spider either, hence him being willing to tell Hisoka what Kurapika did to him.

Compare him to a spy or double-agent is infiltrating an organization of some sort, or a cop going undercover in a gang or something; neither the members (if they find out about the true goals), the spy themselves, nor whoever is employing the spy, would likely consider them to "really" be part of that group, even if on paper they're officially a member or whatever, because they were only ever in it in order to work against it.

Yeah, but if you ask a cop if he's a cop, he's obligated to tell you. It's in the constitution.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

Yeah, but if you ask a cop if he's a cop, he's obligated to tell you. It's in the constitution.

edit: shitposting aside. I get what you're saying by Nen is shaped by your belief. If Togashi was trying to write a different story (and Hisoka wasn't so popular), I could imagine the ending of Yorknew involving Kurapika calling out Hisoka for swearing allegiance to the Spiders, maybe mentioning the fact that he killed dozens of mafia enforcers just days ago as a specific example, and Judgement Chaining him right there.

edit edit: or I could just quote myself instead of editing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I do not think that Kurapika would care that Hisoka killed mafia enforcers, who are, you know, generally not good or innocent people. Kurapika might be in the mafia himself for his goals, but it's not like the family he was serving was on good terms with other families. Heck, the rest of the families saw the Nostrade (or whatever) family as upstarts who just got lucky thanks to the daughter's fortune telling abilities.

Heck, if you brought in the heads of those Mafia enforcers to a bounty office I bet you could pass yourself off as a Bounty/Criminal Hunter and get paid for that poo poo.

Especially since Hisoka already murdered a buncha people during the Hunter exams in his own self-imposed sorting test.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I meant to add in "under Dancho's orders." I'm sure there are other things he did that explicitly advanced the mission of the Spiders. And I'm saying that end result can matter as much as intent.

I understand that my take isn't what everyone in the story takes it as, but I'm saying that you could probably write a more cynical "helping the Spiders means you're a Spider" Kurapika by changing, like, 10 lines tops.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
You know when I asked the boyfriend to choose a good, long-running shonen show, something fun and optimistic that would distract me from my post-election anxieties, I did not expect to end up crying my eyes out over a chess-playing bug dying from radiation poisoning. And yet here we are.

I also did not expect to end up consuming the greatest cultivation novel of our time, but that's a whole other conversation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf I went into Hunter x Hunter knowing Chimera Ant was A Thing and was also super ill-prepared to expect not-Perfect Cell/Evil Saitama playing not-shogi with a blind girl to be the most compelling part of the series’ 148 episode run.

Lol that your s/o recced HxH at a palette cleanser anime tho, like it’s one of my favorite forms of televised media ever but I’d just tell someone to watch the magic pirate cartoon until the filler becomes unbearable, cause even early as the Hunter exam it’s obvious how horribly unstable Gon is.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Tbf I went into Hunter x Hunter knowing Chimera Ant was A Thing and was also super ill-prepared to expect not-Perfect Cell/Evil Saitama playing not-shogi with a blind girl to be the most compelling part of the series’ 148 episode run.

Lol that your s/o recced HxH at a palette cleanser anime tho, like it’s one of my favorite forms of televised media ever but I’d just tell someone to watch the magic pirate cartoon until the filler becomes unbearable, cause even early as the Hunter exam it’s obvious how horribly unstable Gon is.

I knew Chimera Ants were A Thing, but I didn't know much more beyond that. All I had was a vague impression that a horde of bug people were invading from somewhere, posed a big threat to humanity, and were led by a badass king. All of that is roughly true, but doesn't nearly prepare you enough from the :magical: of the last third or so. Felt like repeatedly getting hit by a train, and each time the train picks up more speed.

The magic pirate show would have been the ideal choice, except we finished WCI last year-ish and have been waiting for Wano to wrap up to start watching again, so it's not really an option. In defense of the boyfriend, HxH has been a good, fun, distraction, even allowing for the brutal parts of Yorknew. But while Chimera Ant has an incredibly gory premise, what really makes it so brutal is how emotionally devastating the second half is. You start out with a very tense, desperate feel, and then ratchet it up to poo poo like a Mental Breakdown: Super Saiyan Edition and a goddamn suicide nuclear bomber. I'm a big romantic at heart, too, so well-written, tragic relationships always leaving me sobbing like a baby. Don't get me wrong, I loved every second of it, I just...I might need to take a break for a few days. :sweatdrop:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Viola the Mad posted:

Don't get me wrong, I loved every second of it, I just...I might need to take a break for a few days. :sweatdrop:

Chimera Ant is so long and you end up so invested in the characters and the ending is so conclusive that it feels like the end of the entire series. I've watched HxH 2011 twice and each time I needed a break after this one.

Or I would need a break if I didn't see Hisoka in a preview for the next arc and felt a sudden compulsion to continue, lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

You won't understand why Leorio is the best character without the next arc.

Considering this story will probably never finish, the 2011 series has a pretty good ending.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really as far as I’m concerned we had the one loose end that needed to be tied up addressed making Hisoka eat poo poo in a frankly pretty hilarious manner for cathartic value after how Gotou got did dirty so I’m forced to conclude that Hunter x Hunter is the perfect series.

Aside from how boring the not-training parts of Greed Island are. And not gonna lie, some of Chimera Ant do be dragging a tad. And how in retrospect how obvious it is that Togashi just kind of lowkey wrote his main character’s super useful weapon out of the series to nerf him...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what, the fishing rod? enhancers can choose to focus on enhancing a tool instead of their own body, but gon never seemed to even consider that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

GOOD