Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cockblocktopus posted:

I listen to most podcasts at about 1.7x speed but about once a year I suddenly can't retain any information that way and have to go back to like 1.2x and work my way back up.

Thanks for this recommendation; I'm finishing the final episode tomorrow. It's a really good podcast that's dovetailing nicely into The Fault Line but without a ton of overlap (since Fault Line was more UK-focused). I'm fairly familiar with the subject matter but I didn't know a lot about Ahmed Chalabi outside of "he told us what we wanted to hear then Iraqis didn't actually give a poo poo about him" so this has really filled in that big gap.

I don't *love* the random pop culture clips (I'm fine with hosts having fun; they just feel out of the place here) but that's such a minor quibble and it's not like we get a 30 minute Carlin monologue about Batman and Wolverine every time.

I'm just finishing up The Fault Line and really enjoyed it so far. Having a British perspective and view point on how they got sucked into all is awesome. I've read few of the books on the war (The Gamble, Fiasco, Life in the Emerald City) but they don't focus that heavily on the British view from what I recall.

I also finished the Fiasco Bush v Gore series and only being a teenager I had no idea how much the cases and challenges went through. I thought it was just a straight shot to the SCOTUS and that was it. Listening to some of the reasons why Gore's people didn't push/try as hard as they could or Bush's team playing toward the media/public really encapsulates the modern ways both parties try stuff.

Floodlines is my next listen to and I barely recall or remember of Katarina. Need to find a new series to binge after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The second season of Gangster Capitalism is about all the self-dealing within the NRA that's hopefully going to bring the whole organization down if you're enjoying living in the "Republicans doing specific, awful things in the 21st century" mood. It's a really good story about selfish people thinking they're Frank Underwood and trying to outmaneuver each other to cover up their financial crimes and throw other people under the bus.

Also a different period of time but Rick Perlstein's giant books are good about capturing the evolution of American conservatism if you want to burn through an Audible trial or something.

e: but Floodlines specifically is incredible and one of the most moving podcasts I've listened to this year. Definitely add it to your queue.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Cockblocktopus posted:

Also a different period of time but Rick Perlstein's giant books are good about capturing the evolution of American conservatism if you want to burn through an Audible trial or something.
The audiobooks of Invisible Bridge and Reaganland are also on Scribd if you want to use a different free trial, although their limitations on audiobook listening are opaque as gently caress.

sertorius42
Aug 19, 2020

webmeister posted:

Yeah, remote podcast interviews like that are usually recorded by both parties, and then merged together for the final edit so everyone sounds good. Something probably got misaligned right at the end so they were both talking over each other.

On the topic of Tides, I've been slowly listening through the early modern history series and really enjoying it. But I've found that I really need to concentrate on Patrick's voice, and that losing concentration for a couple of seconds means I totally lose the thread of what he's saying. I don't have this issue with other history podcasters, so I'm not really sure why, but yeah.

I’ve noticed this lately with Tides too. Not sure if it’s because it’s a subject I’m less familiar with than his prior focus of medieval/early modern Europe or because I don’t listen on a commute since I work from home every day and am more likely to be wandering around the house doing random poo poo, but I’m either rewinding sections or shrugging and saying “eh guess I missed a bit here” way more than I used to.

sertorius42
Aug 19, 2020

Cockblocktopus posted:

I listen to most podcasts at about 1.7x speed but about once a year I suddenly can't retain any information that way and have to go back to like 1.2x and work my way back up.

Thanks for this recommendation; I'm finishing the final episode tomorrow. It's a really good podcast that's dovetailing nicely into The Fault Line but without a ton of overlap (since Fault Line was more UK-focused). I'm fairly familiar with the subject matter but I didn't know a lot about Ahmed Chalabi outside of "he told us what we wanted to hear then Iraqis didn't actually give a poo poo about him" so this has really filled in that big gap.

I don't *love* the random pop culture clips (I'm fine with hosts having fun; they just feel out of the place here) but that's such a minor quibble and it's not like we get a 30 minute Carlin monologue about Batman and Wolverine every time.

I’ve also enjoyed Know Your Enemy lately, which focuses mainly on various aspects of the conservative movement, some contemporary, some historical.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'll second Know Your Enemy. Plus it only comes out once a month so it's not overwhelming.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The editing work on Tides of History is often kinda bad for a commercial show. It's one of my favorite shows, but I'm certainly not paying for Wondery Gigapremium if they can't cut and stitch without needing a second shot at it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is Tides of History otherwise solid? I listened to Fall of Rome, and thought it was really interesting to have a more academic view, with lots of discussion of recent scholarship, of the era that Mike Duncan kind of rushed through/didn't get to as he was wrapping up his show. Wyman's dissertation having to do with the subject matter makes me wonder if the show took a hit when it switched to new subjects he didn't previously study as much, or if it's still really good and feels like something he covers with expertise. The prehistoric stuff that's available for free atm doesn't sound as immediately interesting to me as the rise of the modern world stuff that's paywalled, so I'm particularly curious about the quality of that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's good, I wasn't as into the early modern because it's a period I find uninteresting, but the prehistory is great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't vouch for the Prehistory season since I don't give a gently caress about it. But the early modern season is good, if not a little unfocused. His habit of creating composite characters is nice for getting a ground level view of things, but it can lead to the listener quickly losing sight of the big picture if they aren't at least a little familiar to them.

The sound effects and ads are terrible though, and every single wondery podcast on my feed needs to announce whenever a new show, or event is released which is real annoying seeing podcast addict update with 12 new episodes and half are "Announcing Business wars: Coke Vs. Charmin" or some poo poo.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have never been less interested in a podcast than I am with Business Wars

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm enjoying the Tides prehistory stuff

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Fwiw I’ve really enjoyed Tides and the early modern period, though I skip over the interviews more often than not. They’re still available free via Apple Podcasts as far as I can tell

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm enjoying the Tides prehistory series, though I don't know enough about the era (save for some old Great Courses stuff, which is probably all out of date) to speak to it beyond "it's a good listen."

webmeister posted:

Fwiw I’ve really enjoyed Tides and the early modern period, though I skip over the interviews more often than not. They’re still available free via Apple Podcasts as far as I can tell

Same. The interview they broke in editing was one of the first in a while that I thought was compelling. The guests tend to be more misses than hits, and this is a professional quibble but if my no-budget thing can ship microphones to guests, shows put on by something like Wondery can afford the FedEx-and-back.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I usually liked the interviews more than the main episodes in the early modern stuff, but both were pretty good. I'm having a real hard time with the prehistory stuff, it's certainly interesting but without any actual... history, or people and specific, non huge timespans my brain just can't focus on it well.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

The sound effects and ads are terrible though, and every single wondery podcast on my feed needs to announce whenever a new show, or event is released which is real annoying seeing podcast addict update with 12 new episodes and half are "Announcing Business wars: Coke Vs. Charmin" or some poo poo.

I only listened to a few episodes of Tides some time ago, but this was my biggest complaint. Tbh it made the podcast totally unlistenable to me and I have not returned to it since.

e: vv yeah its overproduced as all hell, that's a good description

And thanks for the Fault Lines recommendation thread, I've been listening to that and its great. I love these British presenters-- their typically dry style is so much better than the American tendency to over-dramatize things.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 24, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I have never been less interested in a podcast than I am with Business Wars

Business Wars is probably the Wonderyest of the Wondery podcasts: overproduced, utterly shallow in content, and yet way too long. It's like they start with a one-page article on the subject and stretch it out to 5 episodes.

Still not as bad as Parcast's stuff though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I binged through about half of the Business Wars backlog like two years ago (when there was a lot less content) and yeah you can definitely skip it. It was a pretty decent podcast to listen to at 2x speed while doing puzzles because you wouldn't miss anything important if you zoned out for a few seconds but it felt overly scripted and simultaneously not researched enough on topics I was sort of familiar with. I wouldn't recommend it but I'd agree that most of the Parcast output is worse.

In general there was a lot of focus on how the businesses were started then a quick AND HERE'S WHERE THEY ARE TODAY segment -- I remember they skipped some part of the DC vs. Marvel rivalry (maybe the Marvel bankruptcy? probably also the early media adaptations of both like the Superman movies or the X-Men and Batman cartoons) that felt like a relevant part of the story.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Actually I'm currently looking for a podcast on the comics industry past and present, so that sounds interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd look to pick up a book or at least a doc on youtube for that. Business wars was never strong but the marvel DC episode really stood out to me as being super weak. They rushed right past the golden age, barely mentioned bob kane and bill finger. And skipped a lot of the drama around fleischer and schuster. Believed way too much of stan lees bullshit, never even mentioned ditko. And then skipped how successful DC was in the late ninties and early 2000's with their animation department. I don't even remember if they talked about jack Kirby at all.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If you want a decent documentary on the history of DC/Marvel, the SFDebris series on the topic is a good place to start:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7v2GoLok37YBm3WBaqvrKd97uSMYDPT

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1342459857501380608?s=19

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Now to decide if I should re-listen to the entirety of the russian revolution a second time in anticipation or just wait a week and hope I didn't forget anything. Maybe I'll start with Bloody Sunday and go from there

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Appoda posted:

Now to decide if I should re-listen to the entirety of the russian revolution a second time in anticipation or just wait a week and hope I didn't forget anything. Maybe I'll start with Bloody Sunday and go from there

The next ep will be a recap ep both for the audience and Mike himself, so the latter is a more viable option.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks for the opinions on Tides last week. One thing I can say for sure is that I agree about the sound effects being bad.

sertorius42
Aug 19, 2020
Yeah the opinions here reinforce what I expected about business wars.

I will vouch for sports wars, another wondery offspring. It covers different rivalries or moments in sports, so if you’re into the subject matter, it’s worth a listen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you want an interesting business podcast type of show CBC radio does "Under the Influence" and it's about marketing and advertising. Keep in mind that it's produced primarily as a radio show that airs once per week so it has different pacing and what not. It's available on podcast platforms.

It's good enough that I'm stoked if it comes on when I'm driving and listening to the radio, but not good enough for me to seek it out when looking for a podcast.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

If you're looking for decent business podcasts, the Harvard Business Review has at least two podcasts (HBR Ideacast and Dear HBR) that were both pretty good when I went though a business podcast phase a few years ago.

Planet Money is usually pretty good although I'm still not over them airing a two-parter of Pinochet apologia. The Indicator is also pretty good and daily.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I usually listen to Motley Fool Money for a weekly update on stocks and industry developments, it's ok but don't expect those guys to care much about worker's rights or the wealth gap.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Yeah, I haven't found a consistently good business podcast that actually focuses on ethics or issues of economic justice. Probably the closest recommendation would be whatever Kara Swisher's podcasting, but her main(?) podcast right now (Pivot) is cohosted by Scott Galloway but he has the exact viewpoints you'd expect from an NYU business professor (such as being a vocal Bloomberg endorser).

They're both consistently anti-big tech company which is nice since all of the podcasts I mentioned in my last post can fall under the sway of "wow look at this cool thing Google's doing!"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

For a different take on business Canadaland has produced a few good seasons about the oil sands, business dynasties, long term care homes, etc.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/introducing-our-new-season-crude/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cockblocktopus posted:

Planet Money is usually pretty good although I'm still not over them airing a two-parter of Pinochet apologia. The Indicator is also pretty good and daily.

Planet Money has always had a pretty clear free market obsession. Back in 2016 they had an episode endorsing Gary Johnson for president because he supposedly had the only "realistic" economic policies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Planet Money has a certain slant in the same way that a lot of economics scholars have a certain slant. Economics is sort of the least social of the social sciences, in that the availability of numbers to just do math with attracts people who are better at playing around with numbers than they are at doing comprehensive analyses of all the people involved. That leads to a lack of sympathy that economists often pride themselves on, which in turn leads to theories missing key parts of the human element (or "externalities" in economist-speak) that they only figure out after they reach implementation.

That also leads to a lot of people who are shopping around for facts to fit their feelings to finding certain economic theories to push, which recently Planet Money did episodes on people like the guy who masterminded the propaganda campaign against socialized healthcare or a guy who lobbied for putting a bunch of fake recycling symbols on plastics, after they largely recanted and were working on projects to earn their readmission into the human race.

I feel like as a show about economics, they're somewhat obligated to confront the wider consequences of economic theory, even if in some ways they're not as well-equipped for it, and I think they did an okay job with Pinochet. They talked about the coup and Nixon and the large number of people who were killed or kidnapped or tortured, and they ended with talking to somebody who was arguing against the things that the coup left them with.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I tried Tides of History and it kind of sucked aside from a select few episodes. I feel like it's easy to lose track of the material because there's so much being crammed into 40~60mins. Show would probably be a lot better if the host dedicated several episodes to each topic covered.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I tried it and I liked some of the topics but I couldn't stand all of SFX mixing. If you're gonna put that in make it like 5% of the speaker's volume, not almost louder than the speaker

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
Revolutions is back, baby 😎

Mike also teased on Twitter that one of his next book ideas was about Aurelian and the Crisis of the Third Century

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

webmeister posted:

Revolutions is back, baby 😎

Mike also teased on Twitter that one of his next book ideas was about Aurelian and the Crisis of the Third Century

Oooh, wanna read that book

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Revolutions comes back after a hell year just in time for an episode to be re-created on live tv.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

uPen posted:

Revolutions comes back after a hell year just in time for an episode to be re-created on live tv.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1346905142214479881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how Revolutions starts back up at the same time that The Last Post ended, so now the slot left open by the alternate dimension news satire will be filled by history.