Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

So there’s no patches for MGSV, eh? 900p on the XSX...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i dont think konami would ever want to

American McGay posted:

TPP is a pretty lovely Metal Gear but it's a dream of a game to play. Every single action feels so good in it.

Such a shame that Kojima got thrown into the ocean and the engine only ever got used for Pro Evolution Soccer games after that.

at least kojima-decima is a pretty good replacement

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Escape Goat posted:

Oof, that sucks. Game runs and scales so well everywhere else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Yeah unfortunately support was dropped a long time ago. Game is best played on PC.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Well Forza is a ton of fun. Probably my first racing game that had a high FPS which seemed to make all the difference.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there any possibility of Series X eventually having support for Windows Mixed Reality headsets?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Twerk from Home posted:

Have any of the Far Cries been on game pass? I really enjoyed 4, but haven't played one in a while. I've got an itching to check out 5, New Dawn, or Primal.

Avoid 5 imo. I hated it. It forgets what makes farcry fun, has a lot of annoying gameplay instances and plot stuff, and the AI is really poorly done. I replayed the farcry 3 remaster this year and really enjoyed it though so give that a shot if you haven't. Its a way better game than 5 and the world, stealth, and enemy placement/ai is better done too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I thought Far Cry 5 was good as hell, way better than 3.

they really toned down the random eagle attacks.

and I dunno the plot/world of 5 was fun, but then again I live outside america so it doesnt hit too close to home.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Is there any possibility of Series X eventually having support for Windows Mixed Reality headsets?

There’s always a possibility, but that possibility is tiny

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
Far Cry 5 could've been good if I was able to enjoy the loving world instead of getting attacked every 5 steps

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is there any way to tell if the Series controller is charging with the charge kit? I plugged my controller in the other day when it was at medium, turned the console off, and a few minutes later the console turned itself on again. I assumed that the console has to be on to charge and kept it on during the day, and when I go back the controller level still says medium. When plugged in it does say charging but nothing on the controller or cable indicates this, and looking online just finds me Xbox One controller problems and they mention a charging light, but maybe it was removed from the new controllers?

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 24, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Original_Z posted:

Is there any way to tell if the controller is charging with the charge kit? I plugged my controller in the other day when it was at medium, turned the console off, and a few minutes later the console turned itself on again. I assumed that the console has to be on to charge and kept it on during the day, and when I go back the controller level still says medium. When plugged in it does say charging but nothing on the controller or cable indicates this, and looking online just finds me Xbox One controller problems and they mention a charging light, but maybe it was removed from the new controllers?

i dunno about the newer versions with the Series consoles but the XBONE controller using my old play and charge kit had a charge indicator on the cable that lit up orange when it was charging a controller (wouldnt light up when charging a phone, for example) and turned off when done. I didnt need to leave the console on to charge (but i always use standby mode, not total-off mode)

my elite v2 uses usb-c and has a light on the controller to indicate charging. it blinks on/off but the cycle is just a little bit too slow and you have to watch it for a few seconds to make sure its blinking on and off. it also vibrates when you start charging.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Seltzer posted:

Avoid 5 imo. I hated it. It forgets what makes farcry fun, has a lot of annoying gameplay instances and plot stuff, and the AI is really poorly done. I replayed the farcry 3 remaster this year and really enjoyed it though so give that a shot if you haven't. Its a way better game than 5 and the world, stealth, and enemy placement/ai is better done too.

I started playing Far Cry 3 after I had beaten 4, and 3 suffered in comparison. I abandoned it pretty early, with the general feeling that 4 had improved pretty much every system, and all together obsoleted 3. Pagin Min was a better villain too, and the environment more interesting in 4. I'm surprised that 3 got a remaster, I remember it and 4 both looking pretty good.

I'll just share my personal Far Cry history to give context to my opinions on them, I played 1 -> 2 -> Crysis -> 3: Blood Dragon -> 4 -> 3. I really enjoyed 2, and 4 was probably my favorite game to come out in 2014. 3 was the only one that I fell off of. I appreciate you guys mentioning MGSV, but I think I might go ahead and grab New Dawn to scratch that Far Cry itch. Reviews mention it's sillier and faster paced than 5, which sounds A-OK to me.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

I really hope KOF15 does away with the 3d models and goes back to 2D sprites, or whatever it is that Guilty Gear -Strive- is doing for its beautiful graphics.

ArcSys makes their games (Guilty Gear Xrd/Rev2, Guilty Gear Strive & Dragonball Fighterz) in Unreal Engine 4. The characters are 3D models with excellent quality shading to make it look like you're literally playing a cartoon while also enabling those really impressive camera movements that swing around characters to remind you that although they're 2D fighters (in theory) you're actually seeing some incredible artistic and stylistic talent to mask the fact and make the camera transitions to 3D all the more impressive.

What really blows my mind about it is that aside from the console versions, these games run and look spectacular on PCs that do not have great hardware. They really are incredibly technically impressive games and I know you mentioned Guilty Gear (can't wait for Strive and praying Zappa is in the final character reveal they do) but I would recommend Dragonball Fighterz to anyone looking for a Marvel vs Capcom style fighter. I can understand being put off if you're not a Dragonball fan but it really is like someone took MvC and slapped Dragonball characters on top. It's incredibly fast, chaotic and a real visual spectacle and if you were disappointed with MvC Infinite and can tolerate Dragonball characters it's definitely worth a buy. They're still supporting the game with new character DLC as well, with the latest one just announced the other day.

On the topic of fighting games, now that MK11 has done a second DLC character pack that is only 3 characters (the first was 6) I'm really hoping they add another 3 and bring back Reptile & Triborg to make it perfect.

American McGay posted:

TPP is a pretty lovely Metal Gear but it's a dream of a game to play. Every single action feels so good in it.

Isn't it technically unfinished and missing the final chapter? It's been so long now but I remember at the time there was a lot of talk that Kojima had to cut a chunk out the game and wrap it up quickly so it had a bit of a weird ending? I don't know because I haven't played it but I remember talk of a whole chapter that was inspired by Lord of the Flies and took place on an island was apparently scrapped or just cut down to what they'd managed to make and the game doesn't have a satisfying ending as a result?

Shame because I remember playing Ground Zeroes when it came out and thinking it was really cool, then watching the pre-release gameplay that looked awesome (my favorite was scaling the cliff, going through the jungle and getting a pet, then extracting someone from some base in a big action sequence while the lady sniper helped) but being wary because of the drama near release and never picked it up due to all the mixed reactions. That and remembering being disappointed by MGS4 (cool Raiden cutscenes excluded) which is kinda dumb in retrospect because my main issue was gameplay-related and TPP seemed much more focused on gameplay than cutscenes.

Really curious to see what Kojima does next because I think they were teasing a horror game? Could be thinking of something else but I could swear after PT came out and hosed up everyone who played it (I'm still pissed they took that off the store - it was such a spiteful thing to do) that Kojima actually put out a proper Silent Hills trailer and it looked wild. It didn't even look like it needed the IP attached to it since it looked so fresh so I wondered why he didn't just continue with it and do some name changes or whatever. I'm guessing because it was made while at Konami so they must own it and he'd need to start fresh with nothing similar to avoid legal action. That god-drat hallway loop in PT was incredible, though, doing so much with so little. Tell any other game developer "You've got two corridors and two rooms, make a horror game" and they would either say it can't be done or not produce anything close.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure the story is that they were way off schedule and over budget and it was an ongoing problem that escalated and culminated with Konami removing him from the team entirely and forcing whoever was left to wrap everything they had up and put it out.

So now the game sits in this weird limbo where it's simultaneously the best video game of all time and the most disappointing video game of all time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Original_Z posted:

Is there any way to tell if the Series controller is charging with the charge kit? I plugged my controller in the other day when it was at medium, turned the console off, and a few minutes later the console turned itself on again. I assumed that the console has to be on to charge and kept it on during the day, and when I go back the controller level still says medium. When plugged in it does say charging but nothing on the controller or cable indicates this, and looking online just finds me Xbox One controller problems and they mention a charging light, but maybe it was removed from the new controllers?

It'll vibrate when seated correctly for charging and when the system is on and you hit the home button on the upper right hand side of the screen it'll show a charging animation. Otherwise, no

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Phantom Pain isn't 'unfinished', there was just originally meant to be more of it. The game as it stands tells a complete story.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Hey everyone, thanks for the recommendations earlier in the thread I downloaded a bunch of those. And I'll get started testing them out after I finish A Night in the Woods.

So there's a bunch of racing games on game pass. Are any of them arcade racers, and are any good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Forza Horizon 4 and that need for speed game from EA are good bets

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Forza Horizon 4 is a mix of arcade and sim and super fun to play. Burnout Paradise Remastered should be available now on the EA Play combo thing? I assume the Need For Speed Hot Pursuit remastered will show up there in a couple months too.

Dirt 4 is pretty ok?

The rest of the Need For Speed games range from mediocre to bad.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Twerk from Home posted:

I'll just share my personal Far Cry history to give context to my opinions on them, I played 1 -> 2 -> Crysis -> 3: Blood Dragon -> 4 -> 3. I really enjoyed 2, and 4 was probably my favorite game to come out in 2014. 3 was the only one that I fell off of. I appreciate you guys mentioning MGSV, but I think I might go ahead and grab New Dawn to scratch that Far Cry itch. Reviews mention it's sillier and faster paced than 5, which sounds A-OK to me.

Having LOVED 2 and not really digging 3 I stopped playing them. Can you expand a bit on why 4 scratched that itch? It's on sale all the time so I'll pick it up if it shares something in common with 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Far Cry 4 is the only one in the series I liked, but this isn't high praise as my previous favorite was the hosed up console version of 1 that was basically a different unrelated game (evolution?)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Seconding Forza Horizon 4 and the recent Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit remaster. If you felt like going further back, the excellent Burnout Revenge is backwards compatible and very much worth playing.

I'd also recommend Forza Horizon 3 and the DLC packs for it and while I will no doubt be in the minority here, if you ever liked the Gran Turismo games maybe see if you can get a download code for Forza Motorsport 5 somewhere? It was a launch game for the Xbox One and since then there has been Forza 6 & 7 but they've had to downgrade the graphics to accommodate the greater amount of cars on track along with the weather features and there's just something about Forza 5 that I really like. If I had to compare it to any game it would be Gran Turismo 3. It's not bursting with content but what's there is great and it still has the most beautiful rendition of the Nordschleife in any racing game, imo. Great game from before Turn 10 started getting a bit too serious with future entries in the series, which is also the same of Gran Turismo 3 being an absolute classic and GT4 being much more serious and restrained afterwards with the similar visual changes that the Forza Motorsport series has seen.

There's the Dirt games that vary wildly in quality but if you want a serious rally sim Dirt 2.0 is excellent. There was a recent reboot of the Grid series as well which isn't amazing but is fun if you can get a cheap copy somewhere - it reminds me of old Sega racers in a way, as if it's the type of game you'd see on a current gen Sega console if they were still making hardware. It's not as insane as Grid 2 was but doesn't scratch the same itch that the original Grid did either. It's occupies a middle-ground of sorts? I hope the IP doesn't die and we see more of it in the future despite the EA acquisition.

If you're interested in some less conventional racing games there's also SSX3 (original Xbox) available via backwards compatibility and SSX 2012 (Xbox 360) available via backwards compatibility as well, which are both great games.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

Forza Horizon 4 and that need for speed game from EA are good bets

There is about 20 need for speed games from EA so the one you are probably referring to is NFS hot pursuit remastered.

NFS Heat and underground are both 30fps plot-heavy cringe-fests that opted to put in-game social media buttons on the controller instead of manual transmission controls. In a game targeted at car enthusiasts (or scenesters, more aptly)

While Hot Pursuit remastered doesnt have manual shifting (afaik) it actually has enjoyable driving in it. The game was made by the team that made the Burnout series what it was, and I would argue it is a better continuation of the Burnout series than Paradise because it stuck to what made the burnout games excellent racing games without too much focus on the open world aspect.

however, if you want the crash mode from burnout games you need to look at actual Burnout games.

- Burnout Paradise remastered includes all the DLC and is a good half-hour-to-play type game. can get a bit boring if you sit there for hours doing events as there is only 8 finishing points on the map so it gets a bit samey.

- Burnout revenge from 360 BC works well with some visual enhancements.

- Dangerous Driving is made by the original Burnout Team (criterion's Alex Ward) and is an indie game. it sorta feels like Burnout 3: Takedown if it was an iOS game circa 2012 though. the upcoming sequel looks like it might be the actual game they want to release and this one was just an interest check.

This has been my every-5-pages-laserface-talks-about-burnout-games Post.

Dirt 4 isnt that great, neither is 5, but Dirt Rally 1 and 2.0 are both really fun games. They are called 'the dark souls of racing' though so be forewarned.

DIRT RALLY 2.0 is on Game Pass.

EDIT: anyone playing NFS Hot Pursuit plz add me so i have some more Times on my speedwall I cannot beat. my gamertag is Varvs or my EA tag is mervin_grogan

Laserface fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 24, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

butt dickus posted:

no? i played the poo poo out of ristar as a kid and i don't see what either of the ori games has to do with it, but now i'm definitely going to plug my ristar cart into my mega sg and play it this week

Bash, the way you bounce off enemies when you use it, the momentum when you jump off a wheel, the momentum when you spin on a stick and jump off

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barudak posted:

Far Cry 4 is the only one in the series I liked, but this isn't high praise as my previous favorite was the hosed up console version of 1 that was basically a different unrelated game (evolution?)

I think I remember that - is it the 360 game where you developed powers and were kind of like the Predator? I have vague memories of playing multiplayer for it and it being fun at the time but yeah, I can imagine it hasn't held up at all and if I remember right the singleplayer was very linear and nothing like the later open world games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I recently played through Burnout 2 on Dolphin at 4K60 and I gotta say that's probably my favorite racing game of all time. The last great true arcade racer. I know everyone is familiar with the series from 3 (or maybe Paradise if you're a zoomer) but 2 will always have a special place with me.

I was thinking through why I like it so much and the best I could work out was that it feels like you're playing a chase scene from a 90s movie. Sprawling landscape tracks that transition seamlessly to busy city streets, weaving in between and through cross traffic. The weighty sedan car selection that doesn't just feel like you're driving a 300mph hypercar. It's all just :discourse:

I wonder why it's not on OG Xbox back compat. It doesn't have any licensed music or cars, and another game from the studio (BLACK) is on there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I think I remember that - is it the 360 game where you developed powers and were kind of like the Predator? I have vague memories of playing multiplayer for it and it being fun at the time but yeah, I can imagine it hasn't held up at all and if I remember right the singleplayer was very linear and nothing like the later open world games.

Yep, thats the one, or two I guess as there was Far Cry Instincts and Far Cry Instincts: Evolution. It was a ton of whiplash going from Far Cry 1 PC->Instincts->Far Cry 2/3 and wondering when the games were gonna get good again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

I recently played through Burnout 2 on Dolphin at 4K60 and I gotta say that's probably my favorite racing game of all time. The last great true arcade racer. I know everyone is familiar with the series from 3 (or maybe Paradise if you're a zoomer) but 2 will always have a special place with me.

I was thinking through why I like it so much and the best I could work out was that it feels like you're playing a chase scene from a 90s movie. Sprawling landscape tracks that transition seamlessly to busy city streets, weaving in between and through cross traffic. The weighty sedan car selection that doesn't just feel like you're driving a 300mph hypercar. It's all just :discourse:

I wonder why it's not on OG Xbox back compat. It doesn't have any licensed music or cars, and another game from the studio (BLACK) is on there.

Burnout 2 is probably my favorite of the bunch, I think 3 is just preferred because its more of the same plus the takedown mechanic, it enabled online play for the first time, and the content was just massive.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Laserface posted:

There is about 20 need for speed games from EA so the one you are probably referring to is NFS hot pursuit remastered.

NFS Heat and underground are both 30fps plot-heavy cringe-fests that opted to put in-game social media buttons on the controller instead of manual transmission controls. In a game targeted at car enthusiasts (or scenesters, more aptly)

Well put. There was this insane rush and consistent need to copy fast & furious but in game form for nearly every racing title which insisted on some family friendly announcer with this nintendo rooftop inclusive party celebrating your extremely basic ability to not crash the car. It's a subject ripe for some nerdy documentary showing how we devolved from sims into playable movies w/ limited input.

The only possible hope moving forward is Forza 8, which I have no idea what 'direction' they're going, but hopefully elevator dad rock is gone, and Gran Turismo 7.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Laserface posted:

I thought Far Cry 5 was good as hell, way better than 3.

they really toned down the random eagle attacks.

and I dunno the plot/world of 5 was fun, but then again I live outside america so it doesnt hit too close to home.

Far Cry 5 was mostly fine, but what's the point in playing after that endling?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

whos that broooown posted:

Far Cry 5 was mostly fine, but what's the point in playing after that endling?
I just try to enjoy the Far Cry gameplay and ignore the awful endings(except the Far Cry 4 hidden comedy ending which is excellent). 5 was my favorite in terms of gameplay and setting.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
fair enough, the game had plenty to offer after the story missions.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Laserface posted:

Dirt 4 isnt that great, neither is 5, but Dirt Rally 1 and 2.0 are both really fun games. They are called 'the dark souls of racing' though so be forewarned.

DIRT RALLY 2.0 is on Game Pass.

I read somewhere that one of the Dirt games has procedurally generated tracks, ensuring a fresh race every time. But I can't find any info on which one it might be. Am I thinking of another series?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Well put. There was this insane rush and consistent need to copy fast & furious but in game form for nearly every racing title which insisted on some family friendly announcer with this nintendo rooftop inclusive party celebrating your extremely basic ability to not crash the car. It's a subject ripe for some nerdy documentary showing how we devolved from sims into playable movies w/ limited input.

The only possible hope moving forward is Forza 8, which I have no idea what 'direction' they're going, but hopefully elevator dad rock is gone, and Gran Turismo 7.

I really prefer arcade racing games to sims most of the time, and I say that as a car enthusiast.

The need for speed series has always been about spectacle but they changed direction with Most Wanted which had some awful plot. The hot pursuit plot is pretty dumb too, but it's very much out of focus.

Underground (as in 2015) was really bad with the whole 'crew' aesthetic and the plot was worse than Tokyo drift. Every game since then they have done in collaboration with Speedhunters, a car lifestyle blog that got bought by EA I think at some point around Underground 2015.

So now you have all these aesthetic-heavy modifications like wheel stance that make nice looking cars that in reality you can't actually drive. Which is fine in a game but the games also lack any semblance of decent handling. The games have a big social aspect that with NFS Heat jumps the shark entirely by forcing you to design your character and buy the clothes.

The open world element of underground and heat is a pain in the rear end since it adopts the burnout paradise "level up then all the races reset". Not only that, the driving around flat out sucks for a number of classes you can align your car with, and on that, you have to tune multiple cars for each discipline. You can't have a street car that performs well as a drift car, or a race car that performs well in off-road events, or a drift car that can win circuit races. While there's some truth to that, in FH4 it's the physics engine that does the talking and you can still drift your street car around because it's not baked in like in NFS. Kinda like fh4 is ray tracing and nfs is baked lighting. That's the difference.

Forza horizon is what nfs Heat wants to be, but it fails because it's trying to be a tuner game to car tuners, an open world game to street racers, an a e s t h e t i c game to car scene assholes and fails at all of them.

Horizon manages to pull it off because it doesn't try to capture all aspects of the car world by way of market research of car people. It just makes a fun driving game and let's the rest happen on its own.

It's a bit of a tangent to what you were saying and I mostly agree with you but I don't think forza as a series is really to blame for it. The forza horizon festival concept is not really far fetched (Look up Gatebil, goodwood festival of speed or World Time Attack Challenge for literal festivals around cars)

The problem is EA tried to monetise the car scene with a game 'for them by them' and it turns out what car scene people want is a game about cars that offers driving that feels real.

Thankfully Heat bombed hard so they are rebooting the NFS series altogether. If they have any clue they'll go back to their roots and make more games like hot pursuit.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Barudak posted:

It'll vibrate when seated correctly for charging and when the system is on and you hit the home button on the upper right hand side of the screen it'll show a charging animation. Otherwise, no

It does vibrate and show "charging", but I'll charge it for hours and it won't go past medium. Is it supposed to turn the system on when charging? I'll plug it in and get the charging notice, turn the system off, and then after a few minutes it'll turn on by itself. Seems like odd behavior and kind of annoying.

Is it bad to charge it using a phone USB brick? The official site says not to use them and only charge using the console or a PC.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
After all this Far Cry chat, I'm just going to pop in to stand up for the much maligned Far Cry Primal. At the time of release it got shat on for being too derivative of previous titles, and copy pasting the map from FC4.
On the first point I totally disagree. There are some weapon analogues like a "sniper" bow and a "shotgun" bow, but overall I felt the weapons totally changed the combat encounters. Also, taming and riding a Sabre-toothed Tiger in to battle was badass.
As for the map, while it looks bad when you compare the overhead map from FC4 and Primal, in practice they changed so much about the landscape or was impossible for me to really see the similarity.
All in all Primal is my second favourite of the series, just after FC4.
edit: Fat Cry, lol.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

I read somewhere that one of the Dirt games has procedurally generated tracks, ensuring a fresh race every time. But I can't find any info on which one it might be. Am I thinking of another series?

Dirt 3 or 4 I think. It was only a certain mode I believe.

It was more build-a-track than proc. gen though. Just kinda plonked down tiles.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, 4 is the one with generated tracks. It's just a handful of biomes, but at least the campaign keeps feeling fresh when you're not repeating the exact same layouts.

The GRID reboot is insultingly average but it has IMO absolutely insane graphics, looks more like a nextgen game than Dirt 5. Shanghai at night looks nuts on PC.

aaand the EA Play conversion is still valid, adding a code for a year (you can get them for 20 euros) will now prompt you "this will add 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate, that okay?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

It looks like both the next Forza game (they're not calling it Forza 8, weirdly enough) and Gran Turismo 7 seem to be very similar judging from the announcements. We've seen less of the next Forza Motorsport game (no gameplay - unlike GT7) but it looks like they're leaning heavily into the GT direction of recent with a focus on serious racing which is a bit disappointing because I fear they're going to continue to ignore their strength (their excellent fictional track designs) and go hard on all the flat and outright dull real-world tracks that have plagued later Forza games. Here's the reveal trailers for both if you're interested, and I will admit that after the way the GT series had been going, it is actually really nice seeing a next (current?) gen version of Trial Mountain, even if it looks like they removed Nessie from the lake :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfC-vvlbHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz-O74SmTSQ

Watching one after the other makes it look like the two games may very well be incredibly similar with the approach that they're taking. I wonder if when they eventually release the only difference is the actual track list? The way both trailers start with racing teams in garages etc. is weirdly coincidental, nevermind the other stuff shown.

Please don't forget all your awesome fictional tracks Turn 10 :negative:

Laserface posted:

So now you have all these aesthetic-heavy modifications like wheel stance that make nice looking cars that in reality you can't actually drive. Which is fine in a game but the games also lack any semblance of decent handling. The games have a big social aspect that with NFS Heat jumps the shark entirely by forcing you to design your character and buy the clothes.

The open world element of underground and heat is a pain in the rear end since it adopts the burnout paradise "level up then all the races reset". Not only that, the driving around flat out sucks for a number of classes you can align your car with, and on that, you have to tune multiple cars for each discipline. You can't have a street car that performs well as a drift car, or a race car that performs well in off-road events, or a drift car that can win circuit races.

This is what bums me out about NFS Heat because I have watched some YouTuber's videos of modifying cars and it looks really deep and fun (visual customization - that is) and seeing what could be done to the cars was incredibly exciting and had me contemplating picking the game up. Then I watched more videos where he did this and it was always incredibly impressive (games like Forza & GT mainly focus on under-the-hood tuning and reserve visual customization to liveries) but then I'd see him take these cars out to test them in such a dull, flat, ugly and empty open world that I was immediately turned off the game. The car customization stuff looks so fun because it doesn't seem to care much for realism and some of the creations looked like something out of Mad Max, but that's no good if the actual gameplay is horrific. It's really disappointing because I think they nailed something that nobody else in the genre has (remember when NFS Carbon let you actually deform and change the shape of body kits?) but the actual driving and racing aspect seems to always be their lowest priority and the worlds that they create to race in are just abysmal.

The last NFS reboot (the one set at night with the return to live action cutscenes) actually looked incredibly impressive graphically but just watching five minutes of actual gameplay is enough to bore you no matter how nice it looks.