Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ded posted:

California is doing worse right now than NY was back in the early months of the pandemic. So what do we do? Well gently caress you no lock downs we have celebs running maskless caroling!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/entertainment/kirk-cameron-protests/index.html

CA has a lot of lockdowns right now, my county started a new one a while back that lasts till the 6th. ICU beds in the state are full. There isn't even enough traveler nurses to fill slots and we are asking for nurses from other countries. But ya gently caress it lets protest the lockdowns.

But there are no celebs mentioned in this story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just because you don't recognize kirk cameron as the d-list piece of poo poo he is doesn't mean banana man isn't popular with the focus on the family crowd.

But he is absolutely a walking sack of poo poo who we should all revile more than andy dick because he's actively working to make the world a worse place. Andy Dick is just slowly rotting in a travel trailer in front of his house yet. Probably.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that it’s likely to happen, but I wonder if the Dems could say, we’ll do the NDAA override with you...once the 2K is passed.

It probably looks to harm D’s more, because they’re “loving over the troops.” But for 2K a person and the transformative effect that could have for certain families...I’d almost say it’s worth it.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just because you don't recognize kirk cameron as the d-list piece of poo poo he is doesn't mean banana man isn't popular with the focus on the family crowd.

But he is absolutely a walking sack of poo poo who we should all revile more than andy dick because he's actively working to make the world a worse place. Andy Dick is just slowly rotting in a travel trailer in front of his house yet. Probably.

Man I’m sorry but I’m not forgetting how good Phil was and all the awesome stuff he would have still been doing.

That said Kirk is still sentient dogshit capable of speech.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I get it, Andy Dick is most definitively human garbage. At least he's slowly killing himself in a can though, while Cameron is leading a merry bunch of covid spreaders because his sky wizard tells him to do it.

I feel like Cameron is the worse person of the two, but the degree of separation is so thin you need a micrometer to measure it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I get it, Andy Dick is most definitively human garbage. At least he's slowly killing himself in a can though, while Cameron is leading a merry bunch of covid spreaders because his sky wizard tells him to do it.

I feel like Cameron is the worse person of the two, but the degree of separation is so thin you need a micrometer to measure it.

You’re not wrong at all, I just really loved Phil Hartman. Honestly the best solution is for Jon Lovitz to beat the poo poo out of Cameron too...while dressed as Hanukah Harry.

Also MORE pardons and clemency today.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1341857598325309441?s=21

Place your bets.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 23, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It probably looks to harm D’s more

Centrists, both right and left leaning apply this phrase to any piece of action or legislation that isn't just doing what the republicans want the vast majority of the time. So there will need to come a point when one must ask themselves, If they really want a left leaning ostenisibly progressive party or do they just want a republican party that they can tell their LGBTQIA+ and Minority friends they're apart of without getting dirty looks.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Most of the troops have been doing just fine collecting their bimonthly paychecks through this entire pandemic. They don’t need help more than the rest of the American public right now.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Hekk posted:

Most of the troops have been doing just fine collecting their bimonthly paychecks through this entire pandemic. They don’t need help more than the rest of the American public right now.

Quite frankly, gently caress the troops. Especially if you are still in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Promise? I’ve been over seas for 6 months now and I feel like I might be the only one on this ship not having sex.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I’ll take Kyle Rittenhouse.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look I'm not disagreeing, just that I'd have trouble seeing the D's actually doing it.

Look being married with 2 kids...8K tax free would be really nice.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Nah he can't do that because it's state charges.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Can't, they're state crimes Rittenhouse is charged with. Couldn't pardon him if he wanted to :toot:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I like the idea of UBI in general, but the stimulus as written gives the same amount of money to an hourly worker who has had their income go way down as it does to a software engineer whose only burden is logging onto VPN. How does that make sense?

$2000 to an hourly worker can quite literally save their life. $2000 to a software engineer is a nice bonus. A person making 6 figures is benefiting less from a universal payout than someone who is living paycheque to paycheque.

It's like giving someone riding the poverty line a loaf of bread, box of fresh produce and a sack of potatoes every week versus some computer toucher in Silicon Valley (ignoring the part where the latter probably doesn't know what to do with it).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Nah he can't do that because it's state charges.

Why would he let a little thing like the Constitution stand in the way of bigly MAGA justice? :sad:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eej posted:

$2000 to an hourly worker can quite literally save their life. $2000 to a software engineer is a nice bonus. A person making 6 figures is benefiting less from a universal payout than someone who is living paycheque to paycheque.

It's like giving someone riding the poverty line a loaf of bread, box of fresh produce and a sack of potatoes every week versus some computer toucher in Silicon Valley (ignoring the part where the latter probably doesn't know what to do with it).

Giving everyone money is a lot easier and probably more effective than figuring out some sorta means test hurdle that screws some amount of people that actually need it. Worst case scenario in giving computer touchers 2k is that they go and spend it on food, stupid electronics crap, or spends it repaying loans.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Giving everyone money is a lot easier and probably more effective than figuring out some sorta means test hurdle that screws some amount of people that actually need it. Worst case scenario in giving computer touchers 2k is that they go and spend it on food, stupid electronics crap, or spends it repaying loans.

That’s a weird way of typing weed.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
2k is just enough money for a ps5 and some weed these days

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1341902581002629122

https://youtu.be/xF0cGt5-69k

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Even if its because he's Jared's dad, its even funnier because its mostly just a gently caress you to Chris Christy for not being a perfect bootlicker and Jared's dad was doing *~*just fine*~* already

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ok, I'm starting to like the Orange gently caress. He's just going full potato, and it's fantastic. The perfect ending to the year.

Doesn't accepting a pardon compel you to testify?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ok, I'm starting to like the Orange gently caress. He's just going full potato, and it's fantastic. The perfect ending to the year.

Not exactly, but accepting one carries an implicit admission of guilt that could be used as evidence of crimes related to the thing you got pardoned for. Example: if you got brought up on federal and state charges for the same thing but got pardoned of federal charges, then it could be used as a proof that you did it. It's basically waiving your 5th amendment rights not to self-incriminate.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 24, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

orange juche posted:

Not exactly, but accepting one carries an implicit admission of guilt that could be used as evidence of crimes related to the thing you got pardoned for. Example: if you got brought up on federal and state charges for the same thing but got pardoned of federal charges, then it could be used as a proof that you did it. It's basically waiving your 5th amendment rights not to self-incriminate.

Thanks for clarifying.

Maybe I'm the idiot, but pardoning all your conspirators when you aren't exactly free and clear seems like a tactical error. But I don't play 4d Chess.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1341908306730704896?s=20

~*~drain the swamp~*~

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Especially when they all either need/want money and rolling on Donald would be the easiest way to get some.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633?s=19

At least most of these are the clean-record kind of corrupt pardons. Even Manafort was in home confinement already. I'm more pissed about the Blackwater fucks.

He's definitely going to pardon himself on the way out, then probably find out that's not as great a shield as he thinks.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

hmm, obama even did it in 2015

https://twitter.com/ossoff/status/1341850791309668356

(tweet he's quoting is from 2015)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Soylent Pudding posted:

Splitting this one 50/50 between the local food bank and donating to the GA senate campaigns.

It’s your money but wouldn’t recommend donating to the senate races at this point. There’s so much cash pouring in they’ve been buying ads in Tennessee and Florida to try to reach every possible voter. Might be better to donate more to food banks to directly help people, instead of a Nashville tv station.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The references to Manafort being in the "hoax" and Stone being treated "very unfairly" makes me think Trump personally wrote these in crayon and some handler put them in third-person for public release.

e- https://twitter.com/WindsorMann/status/1341906497228451841

:aaaaa:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 24, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I was about to get angry and then I remembered that sensible revered elder statesman George H W Bush pardoned all his co-conspirators for the little incident wherein he and his buddies illegally sold weapons to Iran and used the proceeds to illegally fund a rape and torture drug club.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Essentially. It means you can't refuse to testify by pleading the 5th with regard to the pardoning jurisdiction. This is the actual legal rule of the Easlick case, not the 'finding of guilt' (implicit or otherwise) tweetbait.

e: Accepting a pardon is in no way, shape or form evidence of guilt.
(*Florida may be the exception)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 24, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

joat mon posted:

Essentially. It means you can't refuse to testify by pleading the 5th with regard to the pardoning jurisdiction. This is the actual legal rule of the Easlick case, not the 'finding of guilt' (implicit or otherwise) tweetbait.

So effectively if you get brought to court on matters relating to the pardon you have to either tell the truth or perjure yourself?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

So effectively if you get brought to court on matters relating to the pardon you have to either tell the truth or perjure yourself?

Or called before Congress.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Defenestrategy posted:

You could still claim the 5th for a different jurisdiction.
Also keep in mind that people like Flynn and Manafort have already (actually, legally) pled / been found guilty, making the Easlick fantasy completely inapplicable.

Congress needs be careful about compelling testimony, e.g. Ollie North. (Convictions overturned because they relied in part on Congressionally compelled testimony)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This is probably also Dominion's last chance to make any money after this cause their reputation is going to be ruined no matter what happens. They need to change names or dissolve or whatever after this cause no one is going to be using them again after this

Yeah they got Acorned.

No one is going to buy their stuff ever again. It doesn’t matter if the people making the purchase decisions know the claims are bogus. It’s not worth the public ire when alternatives exist.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

You can actually take the 5th and claim that you would expose yourself to prosecution at the state level, however a state prosecutor is liable to go to the US attorneys office and say "hey gimme the deets on that case" so they can investigate to see if they can bring state charges for the same or similar things. This is probably actually happening right now at this moment for most of the folks Trump is pardoning. The federal pardon is not going to be the end of the road for a lot of this poo poo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

You can actually take the 5th and claim that you would expose yourself to prosecution at the state level, however a state prosecutor is liable to go to the US attorneys office and say "hey gimme the deets on that case" so they can investigate to see if they can bring state charges for the same or similar things. This is probably actually happening right now at this moment for most of the folks Trump is pardoning. The federal pardon is not going to be the end of the road for a lot of this poo poo.

There was mention that NY dropped the Manafort case after the federal conviction due to double jeopardy rules. Does that change with a pardon?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There was mention that NY dropped the Manafort case after the federal conviction due to double jeopardy rules. Does that change with a pardon?

The New York state courts threw out the state case because of New York's strong double jeopardy protections (they were not dismissed with prejudice, though), however New York also has a law that says that accepting a federal pardon removes your double jeopardy immunity at the state level, so the state DA is right now probably rolling up their sleeves and getting ready to super slam him. (this law is how they're planning on nabbing Trump if he pardons himself for financial crimes etc, it's also why NYS has been extremely quiet about unveiling charges against Trump, to potentially prevent the double jeopardy law from kicking in.)

All the state DA will have to do is say "Look! He accepted a pardon! We can reopen the case now!" and the state courts will say "Ok do it".

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 24, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man Jared‘s dad is one colossal piece of poo poo. Even by standards of today.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1341909721943580674?s=21

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In case you've been missing it, the combination of the UK's lockdown and imposed-quarantine by the EU has triggered a logistical nightmare. Thousands of trucks cannot leave the country, the M2 to Dover is basically a parking lot, an airfield has been repurposed as an actual parking lot, truckers have been rioting on the docks, demanding to leave, it's a complete and utter shitshow.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's somewhat less than optimal

The UK had years of warning that this exact thing would happen but for some reason their government adamantly stuck to their "Bluff the EU into giving us what we want and wait them out" plan even though the EU already held all the cards

Bonus:

https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1341357568606744577