Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

this is literally the worst attitude to have with regard to having dogs and if you want to hear why I'll tell you

I’d like to hear your take, maybe not directly in response to the other posters specific situation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i'm gonna guess that getting a dog and being able to promote good breeding is as a whole good for dogs while the attitude that any old mutt will work promotes BYB directly or indirectly. The many dogs in need come from somewhere after all.

I adopted my bassets but got lucky that I was able to get two that were 13 months old. They're so far healthy except for a cancer scare at 6, but holy gently caress it would have been nice to have either from puppy up to say not need a year to potty train and break old habits/fears. My next will probably be a puppy, maybe with a senior adoption when these two pass.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd also think a willingness to rehab dogs would be something else as well, but just looking for the perfect fit dog and avoiding the work of puppies is just lazy ownership.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

i'm gonna guess that getting a dog and being able to promote good breeding is as a whole good for dogs while the attitude that any old mutt will work promotes BYB directly or indirectly. The many dogs in need come from somewhere after all.
I guess I'm of the mind that unless you're planning to show a dog, or you have very specific needs related to a certain breed, any old mutt WILL do for most family dogs.

If you prefer buying from a responsible breeder, that's totally cool, and much better than buying from a BYB. For me personally, I'd feel weird about buying a "better" puppy when there are thousands of really good dogs out there being destroyed every day. Every dog I've ever owned has been a shelter or rescue adoption, and every one of them has been absolutely amazing.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'd also think a willingness to rehab dogs would be something else as well, but just looking for the perfect fit dog and avoiding the work of puppies is just lazy ownership.
I don't know if this was directed at me, but our last dog was a rescue with special needs (seizures, serious food and environmental allergies, and recurring ear issues). We've raised puppies in the past and are familiar and comfortable with the amount of work involved. We're not super-picky about breed or age, but since the puppies around here are getting adopted nearly instantly, we felt it would be more responsible to focus on adult dogs.

We're not looking for a perfect dog. We're looking for the right one for our household. We met a lot of dogs before the pandemic started and have applied for a few since then: a beautiful black lab, a couple of hound mixes, the great dane mix... with ages ranging from four months to six years. In a few cases we decided the dog wouldn't be happy with our level of activity -- attentive and happy to walk/play very frequently, but not hiking 3+ miles every day -- and in a couple of cases they got adopted while we were deciding.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't know if this was directed at me, but our last dog was a rescue with special needs (seizures, serious food and environmental allergies, and recurring ear issues). We've raised puppies in the past and are familiar and comfortable with the amount of work involved. We're not super-picky about breed or age, but since the puppies around here are getting adopted nearly instantly, we felt it would be more responsible to focus on adult dogs.

We're not looking for a perfect dog. We're looking for the right one for our household. We met a lot of dogs before the pandemic started and have applied for a few since then: a beautiful black lab, a couple of hound mixes, the great dane mix... with ages ranging from four months to six years. In a few cases we decided the dog wouldn't be happy with our level of activity -- attentive and happy to walk/play very frequently, but not hiking 3+ miles every day -- and in a couple of cases they got adopted while we were deciding.
It wasn't directed at you, just logic I've witnessed, then regret when a dog is harder to deal with then a puppy. Ill always advise bassets, there are too many of them always on the block due to demeanor and after year four usually mellow.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 4, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Someday I will get a nice picture of Chewie.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

fuzzy_logic posted:

lol wtf

Ok! Congrats on the doggo, honestly a well behaved chihuahua is a loving joy and delight to be around, and a great dog for quarantine because they just want to snuggle you.

To get the chew toy thing out of the way: look up symptoms of intestinal and stomach blockage and keep an eye out (and try not to freak out, the articles are always worded very alarmist like YOUR DOG IS GOING TO DIEEE) but if she's eating and pooping normally and not barfing it's fine.

I got a five year old chihuahua mutt eight years ago, so general advice I have about them:

- have high standards and expectations and let the dog rise to meet them, a lot of people think tiny dogs are stupid or untrainable or allow lovely behavior because lol dog is smol. Chihuahuas are pretty smart and want to please you so they're super trainable. Don't put up with any poo poo you wouldn't put up with from a big dog, like jumping on people. They can learn pretty much anything. They can also get manipulative and whiny if you give in to them too much.

- The biggest training issue with them I think is that they seem to get overwhelmed by their emotions really easily, both good and bad. So when you get out treats for training time, they might freak out in joy and be unable to listen or pay attention, then when you give up and put them away, you get a whiplash in the other direction and now the world is ending because the treats are gone. Try to be really patient and not get frustrated by this, being small is just hard, they have a lot of Feelings. I give my dog a ton of praise anytime she does anything to self-sooth or calm herself down, like shaking off or walking away calmly from something that scares her. Just keep reinforcing confident calm behavior and they can learn to manage themselves a little bit and not be quite so histrionic.

- Because of the above 2 things they are 100% no exception positive reinforcement only. If you even raise your voice at them they can end up just melting down and then they're not learning anything. Luckily they're absolute suckers for praise and being fussed over, you usually won't need food treats to train because they love attention so much.

- Your dog is tiny! This means unfortunately you may be called on in future to, at some point, pummel the living poo poo out of / get bitten by a bigger dog in order to save your tiny dog from being bitten. I've been bitten twice and had to punch a dog to get her out of its mouth. It sucks but it's better than your dog being killed. Also you occasionally get a shithead wanting to taunt or scare your dog for some reason, because they think it's funny, and you need to be quick to stand up for them in that kind of situation.

- Just because you can easily pick up and move your dog doesn't mean you always should. I always give my dog a heads up that I'm about to pick her up, and if she hits the deck or otherwise signals no, please don't, I let her be. If I need her to go on the couch so I can vacuum or something, I don't put her there, I direct her to go herself. Part of my treating her like a big dog I guess. It seems to make her more confident - hard to relax in life if at any moment a pair of hands can sweep you off your feet without warning.

- see above

- Chihuahuas only bark a ton if they're anxious. The whole "they think they're a big dog" thing isn't true, they're very, very aware of how tiny they are so they just front super loving hard to keep other dogs away from them. If your dog is calm and confident they probably won't be barky at all.

- Probably not, if you're both feeding/walking her. Chihuahuas kind of love people in general.

- This one I don't know, sorry. Even on the sidewalk people around here don't want to greet or go near a dog. If you have friends in the neighborhood maybe meet them outside? The good news is most chihuahuas don't really like socializing with other dogs so she's not missing out much. I went to a chihuahua meetup once that was around 40 dogs all sitting around studiously ignoring each other and soliciting humans for pets. I would make sure she's not screaming at dogs across the street while on walks or anything. That's pretty easily enforced by spotting the dog first, directing her attention to the dog, then immediately getting attention back and treat/praise so she knows seeing other dogs nearby is cool and good.

Anyway I hope I didn't write a huge essay, good luck with the puppy!

Thank you so much for all of the advice! We're very very happy to have this little lady in our lives, so we just want to make sure that we provide an environment that makes her happy and feeling safe, so this insight is definitely very helpful!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A good breeder will ensure that it's as healthy and well tempered as possible. They'll also support you and many will have a network where you can get help and advice and will take the dog back and ensure it gets a suitable home rather than just dumping it at some random shelter, should you be unable to take care of it.
It's better for you and its better for the dog. It means fewer dogs ends up getting dumped at the shelters, it means healthier dogs (both mentally and physically)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GOD loving DAMMIT

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Warbird posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT

Best dog

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
he looks so chill

Warbird
May 23, 2012

He’s a bastard

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Warbird posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT

yesssss

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

RIP

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Did you ever find a crate that could hold him? I need a crate for my own disaster dog

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Warbird posted:

GOD loving DAMMIT
Why do you keep doing that to yourself.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Help supporting the increasingly preggo Mrs. means the inlaws come stay for a few months. Inlaws mean fuckface.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did you ever find a crate that could hold him? I need a crate for my own disaster dog

I got my hands on a pretty study "airline" crate. One of those plastic shells that you screw together and has a three point locking mechanism on the door. Even then he's done a number on it over the years, but it holds.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What am I not seeing in the photo of the huskey? Why are we mad at the good boy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

I got my hands on a pretty study "airline" crate. One of those plastic shells that you screw together and has a three point locking mechanism on the door. Even then he's done a number on it over the years, but it holds.

Thanks!

Sab669 posted:

That adorable husky is REALLY good at destroying crates, couches, walls, and the will of Warbird

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah. I skimmed their post history but I didn't see anything obvious :v:

My pit mix got out of her crate somehow when I first started crating her. I suspect my hound, who does not get crated, pushed on the frame from the outside and she was able to get out that way. Ended up zip tying the whole drat frame together :argh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Fuckface has been an ongoing plague part of my life for the last few years. Check my post history in the thread for the cliffnotes. He's super chill now in his old age, but still an absolute and total bastard. Also sheds like a motherfucker, holy hell. And I tried the zip ties, fucker broke out; had to go for some thick carabiners for reinforcement as well.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

For other people with dogs that like to bust through the seams of crates, I really like my ruff land kennel. It's rotomolded so it's just one solid piece of material, no side seams. You can get a metal door cover too if your dog tries to chew through doors. It's more spendy than a petsmart crate but much better built and not as expensive as the gunner or impact crates that are meant for high-intensity military dogs or whatever.

Mine just stays in my car (I got the intermediate SUV model so it fits really well) but it isn't super heavy to move and I feel better with my dog secured during long trips. I just wish it came in fun colors like the impact crates but some stickers or spray paint is a lot cheaper than shelling out for an $800 kennel.

Scout is not convinced she shouldn't just be allowed to eat the back seat. I got a primo pad for it that fits exactly and is chew resistant so she can ride in comfort but I can still hose the whole thing out after a trip to the beach.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

speaking as someone who owns a disaster dog: give in and face to giving the dog their area instead.

I came home to a great dane made of hamburger one day because She Was Getting Out, drat It. (she did not get out. she still has some light scars from it 5 years later)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Apollo is a mutt who I think is a gsd/husky mix and he has extreme separation anxiety if I leave, and he's irritatingly smart. I've tried a lot of the "help your dog handle it" techniques and no, he wants me back regardless of what is happening. If we leave him with people he spends the entire time poking them and whining and barking.

While I was living with my parents he got a den in the basement where he couldn't get out and he destroyed any toys we'd put in there with him while I was gone, so he got a water bowl (metal) and a kong full of peanut butter and my condolences as I left. He'd howl as I left, then go quiet (I'm told) for the few hours until I'd return and then he'd howl until I let him out. It wasn't ideal but it worked. Now that I'm living with my boyfriend we don't have that, so I need a place I can put him where he can't destroy anything - hence a crate. I know he'll hate it, but he's going to hate anything I do that involves me leaving, and he just can't come into some places. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apollo is a mutt who I think is a gsd/husky mix and he has extreme separation anxiety if I leave, and he's irritatingly smart. I've tried a lot of the "help your dog handle it" techniques and no, he wants me back regardless of what is happening. If we leave him with people he spends the entire time poking them and whining and barking.

While I was living with my parents he got a den in the basement where he couldn't get out and he destroyed any toys we'd put in there with him while I was gone, so he got a water bowl (metal) and a kong full of peanut butter and my condolences as I left. He'd howl as I left, then go quiet (I'm told) for the few hours until I'd return and then he'd howl until I let him out. It wasn't ideal but it worked. Now that I'm living with my boyfriend we don't have that, so I need a place I can put him where he can't destroy anything - hence a crate. I know he'll hate it, but he's going to hate anything I do that involves me leaving, and he just can't come into some places. :(

What's your budget my dude

I'd suggest getting pet insurance just in case your dog tries to hamburger itself like my old lady did all those years back. It shouldn't be more than $20-$40 a month.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hello this fine creature has learned how to open door latches and let herself out, please tell me how doomed we are.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Help. Chewie is suffering from the zoomies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVgqByd5W6M

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Suffering?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Our dog gets zoomies every time she has to poop

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Our dog gets zoomies every time she has to poop

Mine does every time he finds a stick on a walk, or eats some snow.

Snow is Magical Puppy Zoomy Powder.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My agoraphobic shelter pup had his first deliberate socialization today! We took him on a long walk with our friend and her very chill dog. Llewyn was a little taken aback by other dogs wanting to play with him but he's definitely opening up.

After all the trouble we've had with him so far I'm really proud that he was so brave today. He is a good boy.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So we normally was our puppy at the public bathing areas in a local big box pet store. It generally works great- they supply the shanpoo/conditioner, no cleanup, etc.

Finn had a bath there on Sunday, and starting Tuesday we noticed he was being really quiet and not eating much. After a few days of the vet trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, he’s been diagnosed with Grooming furunculosis, basically a really bad sub-dermal infection that can turn into sepsis reaaaly quickly. It’s thought to be caused by the diluted shampoo products that these places use. We caught it relatively early, so his chances are good, but he’s not totally out of the woods as the infection is notoriously difficult to treat.

This has been the toughest few days of our lives, please send god vibes my goons

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Awww, get well soon, Finn.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jeez, poor guy :(

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I had no idea that was a thing, I'll definitely take my own shampoo if I ever use one of those again.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sending good vibes. Please keep us up to date!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

He’s feeling much better and definitely back to his old bullshit (constantly moistening the cats and running around the house like a maniac with a kong in his mouth). Had a follow up this morning and the vet said he’s looking great.

The antibiotic pills they have him on are loving huge (like three dimes stacked on top of each other), but luckily he is a lab and will happily consume object presented to him regardless of whether or not it resembles actual food

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 26, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The lab I raised for guide dogs loved getting tablets so much she would come running at the sound of me popping painkillers for myself. I had to be so careful to never drop any or she'd kill herself eating them. I never had a lab before doing this but they're such funny dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mall Santa Metis posted:

The lab I raised for guide dogs loved getting tablets so much she would come running at the sound of me popping painkillers for myself. I had to be so careful to never drop any or she'd kill herself eating them. I never had a lab before doing this but they're such funny dogs.

lol yep. The vet’s initial assumption when he started feeling bad was that he had eaten a face mask, which is apparently a common issue with labs these days