Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe you used to? The way it works right now you just have to toggle your hives as valid targets for colony placement and/or harvest and your beekeepers will automatically harvest the honey and replace empty hives as necessary by fetching more bees from any hives that are currently ready to split. You just need to make sure that you keep enough breeder hives around that don't get harvested so you don't run out of colonies, but the rest more or less takes care of itself.

Yeah - you set up a couple of "master" hives that are marked for splitting, then leave the rest of the hives marked for harvest, and your dorfs will cheerfully generate and harvest infinite hives forever.

The real disadvantage of a honey-based food economy, in my experience, is that it steadily tanks your FPS, occasionally annoys passersby with bee stings, and periodically causes your small animals to become afflicted by lasting (possibly permanent) brain/nerve damage - because bee venom is a neurotoxin, and DF very earnestly implements this in the form of a syndrome that causes the victim's nerves to be damaged by toxins (unless they're big or tough enough to shrug it off, which dwarves are but kittens are not).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zereth posted:

Hang on, I was looking up alcohol in dwarf fortress for a reason, and mead is bottom-tier next t sewer brew and gutter cruror? Isn't beekeeping a huge pain in the rear end which requires a bunch of manual intervention from the player?

Mead? That sounds like something an elf would drink :colbert:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Mead? That sounds like something an elf would drink :colbert:

I imagine Dwarfs have a complicated relationship with bees. On the one hand, they admire their drive and industry, their ability to produce alcohol, their love of vomiting, and their defending of their homes via seemingly haphazard swarming and suicidal violence. On the other hand, they love flowers and sunlight and hate smoke and fire, which all seem pretty... elvish. If only there was some sort of underground-dwelling ant that also produced honey, they'd be the perfect organism.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, do I have some good news for you, then!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_ant

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, do I have some good news for you, then!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_ant

Okay but can you make booze out of them?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sure. You can make booze out of literally anything that has sugars in it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

and the pool is widened even further if you're galaxy brain enough to disassemble polysaccharides, but the flavor leaves something to be desired

(and before you theorycraft: naw, underground biomes cannot spawn any insect hives)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Purring maggots should be and underground hive creature

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always wanted to make an expanded hivetending mod that would add a bunch of new things to keep in hives that would do various things but i'm dumb at computer and would have no clue how to do coding things

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Hihohe posted:

Purring maggots should be and underground hive creature

how else do you think i discovered (banged my head into) the limitations in the code, if not trying to do exactly this

Johnny Joestar posted:

i always wanted to make an expanded hivetending mod that would add a bunch of new things to keep in hives that would do various things but i'm dumb at computer and would have no clue how to do coding things

putting in new things which live on hives on the surface that can be brought in like normal and allowed to slowly emit some kind of thing or goo in hives is, fortunately, in the camp of "intended to be modifiable" sort of stuff

doesn't require a deep understanding of the memory layout and a handle on C coding

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On a similar note, toady tested the eggs code moddability by having geese lay silver chairs.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Can reptiles get lycantropy?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm fairly sure lizard-beastmen can. Animals can't, though. It only works on people.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New developer diary and holy poo poo I love that UI.

Tarn posted:

Happy New Year!

The holidays have passed, though we've moved on to not exactly calm and workerly times. But we're mostly back to the game and can show you our in-progress Look command.

We haven't had an artist pass on this dwarf view yet, but it's starting to come together! The old text version of Dwarf Fortress made it unnecessarily difficult to find information about dwarves and other game objects. Not only was the data hidden behind many (many) keypresses as you might expect, but it was also scattered through many different windows and screens. We're trying to bring it all together here. We might end up with more icons and less text as we go.

The tabs and overview boxes are still in flux but the screenshot here is where we are so far in-game. Between physical attributes, mental attributes, personality facets, and beliefs, the game picks the strongest or most unique six and displays them in the overview. You'll still be able to get at the full set of data within the tabs; the intent of these boxes is to answer simple questions and provide the best flavor and context. The same is true for items, skills, positions and the rest. The full data and options can be found in tabs, with a short summary at the top level.

We'll also be adding some of the missing options like camera follow and custom naming to the uppermost box.

The game can still run unpaused when this popup is displayed, so you can see e.g. the current job and thought list update in real-time. It's also pretty common to have multiple dwarves/creatures in a single tile, especially with pets tearing about and babies being held. Instead of the cumbersome 'Next' command, which is how we used to deal with this before, we have little tabs that pop up on the right side. If there are too many critters in a tile for right-side tabs to work (which doesn't happen often, but industrious players sometimes drop all of whomever in a narrow pit), clicking gives a scrollable list. The tabs also include items and buildings and engravings, with similar solutions for high object counts.

As a bonus, we have an image to put a cap on last month's winter video update, where I showed a small hallway that Zach had carved out for the coffins, but we didn't have the artwork added in at that time. Now we have the wooden caskets! And, um, the hallway got quite a bit longer... the open ones are unoccupied. Can't say the same for the closed ones.

Talk to you again in 2 weeks!

- Tarn

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

so detailed :allears:

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Holy gently caress, DF has a GUI now?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Aeble posted:

Holy gently caress, DF has a GUI now?

The Steam version will.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

drat this is looking really good. I got into this game a little bit a year or so ago, and was impressed both by it's depth and that it wasn't as hard to learn as it was made out to be. However, even with external utilities and graphics packs, it still feels cumbersome to actually play, so I'm really looking forward to this.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I know, right? personally all I want out of the deal is the TWBT functionality baked in the code without all the crash ballast

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm kinda hoping the revamp includes, like, a bug sweep to make sure the game generally "works"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dwarf Fortress is usually pretty stable except right after a new release, honestly. The problem is that in the long term there are a lot of (at least nominally) intended behaviors that cause a fort to degrade, bog down, or become unsustainable over time, which is more of a design/vision problem and less likely to be a priority if they ever get fixed at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like, for instance, the old one-tile trees meant that you got a decent crop of wood every year, it was enough to easily keep a fortress going, you sometimes ran out in the winter or if you were making tons of charcoal, then you filled up again in the spring

in new DF you get a massive, multi-year overabundance of wood when you first clear-cut a forest, but afterwards trees take so long to grow that unless you plan on waiting literal in-game decades between harvests you'll be forced to rely on trade to actually have usable amounts of timber (which means engaging with the awful trade UI on a regular basis, having to do stupid game-y poo poo like using up all your wood so the psychic merchants bring the extra emergency wood stockpile they only bring if you're out, etc.)

this is arguably more realistic, and it's definitely a logical consequence of trees taking X years to grow -- it's not a logic error -- but it's terrible for gameplay. will it ever be adjusted? maybe an IRL decade from now when Toady stops adding new subsystems and does an economy balance pass, i guess v:shobon:v

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yet another reason to make everything out of metal and glass, instead of wrangling plant bones like some sort of nature-loving elf :colbert:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I don't think I have every really ran into wood shortage, I imagine that its fairly easy to do f you rely on charcoal but Magma is right gently caress there.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 15, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Only thing I use wood for is beds and bins, and I could probably forego bins if I had to. But I embrace the truth of magma and do not crank out thousand unit pig iron/steel bar runs, typically

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
bling bins made out of gold, barrels made out of gold

they are very heavy, true, but think of your incredible gains

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You can make pretty much any furniture out of glass or lightweight metals. If you have access to neither, rock and fuckoff heavy metals are dwarfier anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The problem is that in the long term there are a lot of (at least nominally) intended behaviors that cause a fort to degrade, bog down, or become unsustainable over time, which is more of a design/vision problem and less likely to be a priority if they ever get fixed at all.

Yeah, that's my concern with coming back to the game with the steam launch. I feel like the current version seems to have a lot of sleeping traps in its design. Woops, your fort is all vampires! etc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

I don't think I have every really ran into wood shortage, I imagine that its fairly easy to due if you rely on charcoal but Magma is right gently caress there.

With the way trees work now evem with entire charcoal driven economies for 80 dwarves I still had more logs than I knew what to do with

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is arguably more realistic, and it's definitely a logical consequence of trees taking X years to grow -- it's not a logic error -- but it's terrible for gameplay.
I prefer it this way because I like trading to be impactful. If anything I'd like it to be harder to be self sufficient-one of the biggest things that bugs me right now is how easy it is to get food currently, where a tiny mushroom farm(or just foraging once in a while) can easily produce more than enough food for all your dwarves, and they don't have any real nutritional needs beyond 'food'.
I like buying foods from traders because the idea of dwarves that otherwise don't have a lot of choice buying a bunch of varied food from a passing caravan is really cute and flavorful(no pun intended), but it's fairly pointless right now. Not to mention there's not much difference between a fortress that specializes in food production since food is so plentiful anyways.

Likewise I like the idea of being low on building materials and needing to purchase them from traders-like being low on wood, or iron, or whatever. And if you trade more the status of surrounding civilizations matters more.

The actual issue here is that the trade UI is bad, not trees being a semi-limited resource.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I would like the game to not slow to a crawl after 2-3 in-game years.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That is definitely something I wouldn't bet on happening any time soon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally I'd prefer my CPU not exploding under the strain of discarded xXpig tail socksXx anymore at some point in the future.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe clean up your computer room every so often, then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

promising carl posted:

I would like the game to not slow to a crawl after 2-3 in-game years.

i'd like a real optimization patch or two myself, but in the mean time, i strongly recommend trying microforts. not only is it better for FPS (there are other factors but creature pathfinding absolutely dwarfs everything else) it's actually really fun to have a small enough number of dwarves that you get to know each of them individually, as it were

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of creature pathfinding: even making sure that no more of the map than is absolutely necessary is revealed and accessible at any one time makes a surprising difference for that. When I played around with DF Hackit, I found very quickly that uncovering the map absolutely killed framerates, even when you're not even looking at one of the revealed levels. Just flagging all that space as "this is something you need to keep in mind now" for the game increases the overhead to a pretty crazy level. Extensive use of burrows and hard barriers like floodgates (maybe even locked doors) can do a lot to minimize that in my experience, because it basically excludes parts of the map as viable for wayfinding, so the game doesn't even need to try.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

On that note, building solely aboveground - with no digging or mining at all - can be interesting. You have to consider shelter, siege defensibility, snatcher security, water access, and more, all using only the materials you bring, harvest, or trade for. Settling in a forest area will generally get you enough wood to set up a little walled compound or ring of houses (long walls are bad for FPS in my experience), and you can brew foraged plants for seeds to set up a couple of little farm plots in a central location.

I guess you could import stone blocks on your wagon if you don't want to anger the elves - which is fair, since elf raids are incredibly brutal in a surface fort without a hardened chokepoint to retreat through. Actual sieges are extremely hard to survive unless you've got a crack military kitted out in bartered gear.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

One weird thing about this version is that I’ve seen a ton of weird zombie/cursed humans and elves showing up at my fortress. They’re not hostile and usually hang out a while then leave, but they seem to be connected to artifact thefts because when I look in legends viewer they’re usually “recruiting” fortress dwarves to help steal things. That’s fine but since it’s my dwarves doing the stealing there’s no way to really protect the artifacts except by walling them off in display cases behind glass, which is fun and atmospheric but kind of a pain.

This is dwarf fort so I’m not even sure it’s a bug per se - but if your poo poo’s getting stolen and you can’t figure out why, it might be weird undead visitors trying to get your dwarves to steal it.

Also man masterwork got weird and bloaty but I would so love a “craft full set of clothes” interaction in vanilla.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'd like a real optimization patch or two myself, but in the mean time, i strongly recommend trying microforts. not only is it better for FPS (there are other factors but creature pathfinding absolutely dwarfs everything else) it's actually really fun to have a small enough number of dwarves that you get to know each of them individually, as it were

What's a good population cap? 20-30ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I can't wait for the GUI version to be released. I've never been able to stick to DF but I've played pretty much everything that was clearly DF-inspired but with a decent-ish GUI and been disappointed by the lack of depth.