Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Golbez posted:

My favorite exonym is Madagascar - Marco Polo got it mixed up with Mogadishu. No, really, it's that simple.

That's... actually kinda an understandable screw up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OddObserver posted:

That's... actually kinda an understandable screw up?

I mean, whole people were called Indians and there's now the west and east Indies because of a mixup. I feel like this is very common in names.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tolkien explained a lot that "elf" and "elves" were not in any way proper terms for the stupid immortals that he wrote about. His "Lord of the Rings" is supposedly only some lovely 20th century dude translating the ancient and sacred Red Book of Westmarch. And he's really really apologetic about the whole thing:

quote:

Elves has been used to translate both Quendi, ‘the speakers’, the High-elven name of all their kind, and Eldar, the name of the Three Kindreds that sought for the Undying Realm and came there at the beginning of Days (save the Sindar only). This old word was indeed the only one available, and was once fitted to apply to such memories of this people as Men preserved, or to the makings of Men’s minds not wholly dissimilar. But it has been diminished, and to many it may now suggest fancies either pretty or silly, as unlike to the Quendi of old as are butterflies to the swift falcon - not that any of the Quendi ever possessed wings of the body, as unnatural to them as to Men. They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finarfin; 1 and their voices had more melodies than any mortal voice that now is heard. They were valiant, but the history of those that returned to Middle-earth in exile was grievous; and though it was in far-off days crossed by the fate of the Fathers, their fate is not that of Men. Their dominion passed long ago, and they dwell now beyond the circles of the world, and do not return.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
All this talk is reminding me about how California was named after a fictional country in a 16th century novel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“california” shares a root with “caliphate”

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also reminds me of the word "serendipity," which despite sounding Latinate actually comes from the archaic Persian name for Sri Lanka. It comes from an 18th c. English interpretation of a fairy tale, The Three Princes of Serendip, which was ultimately derived through many translations from a Persian tale about Serendip. The characters in the story were apparently always accidentally discovering things, hence the word.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The_Other posted:

All this talk is reminding me about how California was named after a fictional country in a 16th century novel.

Wikipedia posted:

The character of Calafia is used by Rodríguez de Montalvo to portray the superiority of chivalry in which the attractive virgin queen is conquered, converted to Christian beliefs, and married off.

OG spanish neckbeard fanfic :v:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Golbez posted:

My favorite exonym is Madagascar - Marco Polo got it mixed up with Mogadishu. No, really, it's that simple.

Not only the exonym but the endonym as well. The island was split up into a load of small polities with no overarching term for the whole thing, so they just accepted the gently caress up as correct.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The_Other posted:

The biggest pull for america colonizacion by spain was when stories where told about topless indians. A lof of people where like "gently caress spain, lets go for america titties"

Historians don't highlight this fact enough, imo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
To be fair, if I was given the choice between Spain and tits, Spain would be in trouble.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a tough choice, tits don't have El Caminito del Rey.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There are plenty of tits in Barcelona these days

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The_Other posted:

And then there's Idaho, which was a completely made up word created by a guy who claimed it was a Shoshone name.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The state of Wyoming is named for a valley in northeastern Pennsylvania, home to what is today the hundred‐and‐first most populous metropolitan area in the United States (Scranton and Wilkes‐Barre).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ironically, the City/County of Miami and the Miami Valley in Ohio are not related to each other and just have the same name due to a completely unrelated group of Indians with a similar name (Miami in Ohio, Mayaimi in Florida)

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Platystemon posted:

The state of Wyoming is named for a valley in northeastern Pennsylvania, home to what is today the hundred‐and‐first most populous metropolitan area in the United States (Scranton and Wilkes‐Barre).

Do you think anybody has actually arrived to their first semester at the Miami University with only a duffelbag of beachwear and tanning oil?

(I know a guy who actually applied to, was accepted by, and attended University of [City], the Catholic school, thinking it was [City] State University.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My grandad actually was from Miami, Oklahoma, named after the tribe from Ohio after their forced removal.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Golbez posted:

funny enough, Mogadishu isn’t the Somali name for Mogadishu either. It’s a Persian exonym meaning Kings Seat (Maqadas-Shah), though folk etymology claims that its Somali for Blinds-you-with-beauty (muqal-disho).

The Somali name is Xamar-Cadde (pronounced Hamar-Adde) meaning white tamarind town.

PawParole fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 24, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Greg12 posted:

Do you think anybody has actually arrived to their first semester at the Miami University with only a duffelbag of beachwear and tanning oil?

(I know a guy who actually applied to, was accepted by, and attended University of [City], the Catholic school, thinking it was [City] State University.)

Probably the same kind of people who end up at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Probably the same kind of people who end up at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

No, those would be the ones who ended up at the California University of Pennsylvania.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

The German word for ivory is Elfenbein (lit. "elf‘s bone") which makes Côte d'Ivoire ("Elfenbeinküste") super tolkienesque if you think about it

In Finnish its "Perseensulkijalihas" which just rolls off your tongue.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In Finnish its "Perseensulkijalihas" which just rolls off your tongue.

I know you meant this as irony, but in the one year of Finnish I took as an optional course at uni, I found Finnish spelling to be incredibly easy to get into vis à vis pronunciation. So yeah, it does. To be honest, that was the easiest part of it all, though. Grammar rules I can remember, but it's very hard to learn vocabulary that's in no way related to any other (Indo-European) language you already know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I know you meant this as irony

Yeah, "Perseensulkijalihas" means irony, not ivory.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xelkelvos posted:

Ironically, the City/County of Miami and the Miami Valley in Ohio are not related to each other and just have the same name due to a completely unrelated group of Indians with a similar name (Miami in Ohio, Mayaimi in Florida)

Jamaica, the sovereign nation and Jamaica, Queens have no relation. They are descriptions of the places in different Indian languages.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jewish Ethnic Divisions by country

This shows the ethnic background of the majority of Jews in each country. Besides the familiar Ashkenazi, Sephardic, and Mizrahi groups the map identifies several "special" Jewish ethnicities in several countries, including some quite small groups. Most of these special communities are gone from their historic countries, either by emigration to the US or Israel (especially in the wake of the 1948 war) or from the Holocaust in Italy and Greece. Some of these isolated groups practiced traditional Judaism seen as archaic today, but there's some offshoots like Karaites not covered here.

Italy: Italkim
Malta: Not sure what the map author had in mind here
Greece: Romaniotes
Israel: Yishuv (in Ottoman and British Palestine)
Georgia: Georgian Jews (and Mountain Jews should probably be shown in Azerbaijan)
Uzbekistan: Bukharan Jews
Yemen: Yemenite Jews
Ethiopia: Beta Israel (and more controversially the Beta Abraham)
India: Bene Israel and several other groups of a few thousand or less
China: Kaifeng Jews probably

But for a really good time, read the Wikipedia talk page archives on this topic!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Who_is_a_Jew%3F

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 24, 2020

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Not only the exonym but the endonym as well. The island was split up into a load of small polities with no overarching term for the whole thing, so they just accepted the gently caress up as correct.

"Bushmen" is a similar kind of interesting example. The native people living in southwest Africa often use "bushmen" to describe themselves collectively, and tend to explicitly prefer it to the Westerner-determined "more PC" demonym "San," which has a pejorative native meaning as opposed to the neutral etymology of "Bushmen" ( https://www.survivalinternational.org/material/1156 ). There was no local word for the collective name of all of that group, as everyone historically would refer to themselves as (whatever) actual group they are, as they still do, but if they need a generic term like for collective government bargaining or something, then it comes in handy rather than writing out however many local names for all the different groups there are.

E: Apparently it is more complicated than I thought and depends partly on what country in southwest Africa you are in, and moreover probably exactly who you are speaking to, as it seems that "Bushmen" is considered more derogatory than "San" in South Africa, but in other places, like Namibia, it is the opposite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_people#Names. I had my honeymoon in Namibia and we spent a couple days with a Bushman guy who preferred that demonym and disliked "San", and said not to bother trying using a more specific term because I wouldn't be able to even vaguely pronounce it without more practice and training than would be realistically expected.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Eskimo” has largely fallen out of favor, but there are quite a lot of people who don’t like the usual substitution of “Inuit” because that’s a specific ethnic group to which they do not belong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Similar to Bushmen in South Africa and Namibia is Coloured people (and Cape Coloured in the Western Cape) in that you'll probably piss more people off trying to dance around it looking for a more 'correct' variant.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Guavanaut posted:

Similar to Bushmen in South Africa and Namibia is Coloured people (and Cape Coloured in the Western Cape) in that you'll probably piss more people off trying to dance around it looking for a more 'correct' variant.

I've been part of a few conversations where my happily-self-identified-as-coloured South African friend gets lectured by overly politically correct white British or American people on why the term coloured is racist, and hes not allowed to use it. Despite it being a completely accepted identification in his country. Its always amusing listening.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Platystemon posted:

“Eskimo” has largely fallen out of favor, but there are quite a lot of people who don’t like the usual substitution of “Inuit” because that’s a specific ethnic group to which they do not belong.

Do they actually prefer to be called Eskimo, or do they just not mind it? What term would they prefer?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Do they actually prefer to be called Eskimo, or do they just not mind it? What term would they prefer?

I don't know what such people who don't like "Inuit" being used as a catch-all term prefer, but I know "circumpolar peoples" is an option. Though that term also includes groups that we don't normally think of as being connected with groups called Inuit/Eskimo, like the Sami and Nenets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blut posted:

I've been part of a few conversations where my happily-self-identified-as-coloured South African friend gets lectured by overly politically correct white British or American people on why the term coloured is racist, and hes not allowed to use it. Despite it being a completely accepted identification in his country. Its always amusing listening.
Especially since the polite/preferred British version is 'mixed race' which is wayyy more problematic to South Africans because it brings to mind the race mixing laws and so on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the groups that grumble about being labeled Inuit are the Aleut, Yupik, and the Chukchi. I liked CGP Grey's video about the word "indian" that he did, although often northwestern native groups are talked about separately because they faced significantly different hardships from east-coast or great plains groups.

I feel like there's a bit of a mess with broad ethnic categorization words where all the words may have some kind of half-life, because any term to denote the people will eventually sour from being mired in the old, archaic understandings of ethnicity. Maybe even some people would want to no longer be categorized as something as they assimilate into larger populations, although that can come undone as the result of rediscoveries of ethnic pride or new waves of nationalism alienating people, it's a whole mess.

If you don't personally know someone of the ethnicity in question or like a sociologist, it can feel like arbitrary bombs going off as words pass into being offensive, and there's some kind of weird mystique about the more accepted as universally offensive words because people refuse to even say them when talking about the words themselves. It's weird.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the thirties, Canada tried to argue that Inuit people were not “Indians”, but in fact full Canadian citizens.

Sounds great, right? Hahaha no. It was so the government could starve them.

quote:

In the early 1930s, the Conservative government of R.B. Bennett was desperate to shore up the dismal accounts of the Canadian government. Canada was one of the countries hardest hit by the Great Depression of the 1930s. As an export nation the sudden stillness of international trade hit the northern Dominion harder than most. Prime Minister Bennett's solution was to cut expenses across the board. Bennett - a long time corporate leader and millionaire - ran the country the way he would run his business. It made sense to many during the Depression that if the government had less money flowing in, it should cut down on money flowing out.

One of the expenses Ottawa looked hard at was the administration of relief in Arctic Quebec. In 1931, the federal government decided that Quebec should pay for the welfare of those Inuit communities and at first they agreed. Within a year though, the Quebec government wrote back to the federal government noting that it had no responsibility in the matter of administration of Aboriginal peoples (though they would have said Indians or Eskimos at that time). On 7 July, 1932, Ottawa replied: "Eskimo not classed with Indian in British North America Act and Indian Act does not apply to Eskimo. Eskimos own property and operate businesses in their own names and have all rights of citizenship. Debates in Dominion House show contrary intention with respect to Indians. Eskimo is not ward of Crown." The Attorney General agreed with the province of Quebec's position that it was a federal matter, but neither side was willing to budge. At the expense of starving Inuit, a stalemate over jurisdiction issues developed.
This continued on until 1933, when Quebec Premier Alexandre Taschereau referred the case to the Supreme Court, asking whether the term 'Indian' used in section 91 of the British North America Act included the Inuit residents of his province. The case wouldn't be heard until 1935 and it was only in 1939 that a judgement was rendered.

The federal government argued that the Inuit were a different 'race' than Indians, that there had been no Inuit within the borders of the Dominion in 1867 so it could not apply, and that the Inuit had traditionally been treated "differently" than other Aboriginal(as poor, destitute Canadians, rather than how they treated other Aboriginal peoples, which was effectively as a lower class of citizen - not a shining moment in our history). Quebec argued that the term Indian had been applied to the Inuit before 1867 and that many other Indians had lived outside the boundaries of Confederation but were now beholden to its laws.

In the final decision by Chief Justice Lyman Duff (which you can read in full here thanks to the wonderful internet), Duff clearly explains that yes, Inuit are Indians. The Hudson Bay Company had for a long time treated them as such. In 1867, the Canadian Parliament passed legislation outlining its responsibility for Indians in the Hudson Bay's Ruperts Land when it took that territory over, which it did in 1870. Effectively the Supreme Court researched and argued a historical debate over the use of the term Eskimo and found that it was consistently conflated with Indian. Thus, the federal government would be responsible for administrating Inuit people.

So all of that to say that the premise of your question is slightly mistaken - Inuit were separated in that there was no explicit statement saying they were considered "Indians," but Duff's decision outlines (and is made on) the fact that the Inuit, regardless of legal definitions, had always been considered the same as Indians throughout Canada's legal history. Any distinction between them was accidental or non-binding.

source

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Platystemon posted:

In the thirties, Canada tried to argue that Inuit people were not “Indians”, but in fact full Canadian citizens.

Sounds great, right? Hahaha no. It was so the government could starve them.

Nothing that involves both "Indians" and "Canada" ever sounds great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yes inuits are a specific ethnic group in Canada. It’s not that inuit people don’t like inuit, it’s that ignorant people use that as a catch-all term because they don’t realize that there are other groups. It’s like going “I don’t use the offensive term kraut, these people are called bavarians. Also none of the arctic peoples in North America are First Nations/Native American.

Also a lot of indigenous people in the US prefer Indian as the catch-all term. It evolved naturally, whitey made up the new name to make up for the centuries of and ongoing genocide.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 24, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Generally Alaska Native since thats the place where there are multiple indigenous ethnic groups. Canada has almost inuit exclusively iirc.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes inuits are a specific ethnic group in Canada. It’s not that inuit people don’t like inuit, it’s that ignorant people use that as a catch-all term because they don’t realize that there are other groups. It’s like going “I don’t use the offensive term kraut, these people are called bavarians. Also none of the arctic peoples in North America are First Nations/Native American.

Also a lot of indigenous people in the US prefer Indian as the catch-all term. It evolved naturally, whitey made up the new name to make up for the centuries of and ongoing genocide.

If you want to get technical Indian refers to the tribes and enrolled members of tribes while Native American or Indigenous refers to people who are descended from the Pre-Columbus inhabitants who because of blood quantum and enrollment rules may not be enrolled members of a tribe.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Aleutian tribe member here, can't speak for everyone, but generally when it comes to the Alaskan Native population...

Platystemon posted:

We go with Native Alaskan, Native and for the tribes in the west to south regions Yupik. Native is the most common/casual usage.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some tribal elders do prefer Indian, with the younger people it's mostly Native.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you want to get technical Indian refers to the tribes and enrolled members of tribes while Native American or Indigenous refers to people who are descended from the Pre-Columbus inhabitants who because of blood quantum and enrollment rules may not be enrolled members of a tribe.

Alaskan Natives had much looser blood quantum rules and eventually just dropped it and went with being able to prove descent. The US government measures three things by blood quantum: horses, dogs and Indians. I do have a certificate of live Indian birth with my blood quantum on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Aleutian tribe member here, can't speak for everyone, but generally when it comes to the Alaskan Native population...

We go with Native Alaskan, Native and for the tribes in the west to south regions Yupik. Native is the most common/casual usage.

Some tribal elders do prefer Indian, with the younger people it's mostly Native.

Alaskan Natives had much looser blood quantum rules and eventually just dropped it and went with being able to prove descent. The US government measures three things by blood quantum: horses, dogs and Indians. I do have a certificate of live Indian birth with my blood quantum on it.

Wait what? Really? I guess I shouldn’t be surprised