Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Serotonin posted:

This is what happens when you make your whole social media team redundant

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I think some of the charm of historical mini companies is their idiosyncratic social media presence. The owner of Victrix minis, for instance, can get real salty on his FB page when people are even slightly critical of previews, release schedules, etc. and it's pretty entertaining.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

MeinPanzer posted:

I think some of the charm of historical mini companies is their idiosyncratic social media presence. The owner of Victrix minis, for instance, can get real salty on his FB page when people are even slightly critical of previews, release schedules, etc. and it's pretty entertaining.

Lol yes he got into a fight with a grog recently regarding whether or not it’s acceptable to make horses that only touch ground with two hooves. Sometimes it shows that it’s a garage industry.

E:

Ok so my first Italian Wars hobbits are done. Not sure if I should have pushed the red-white scheme more, now they look a bit random and rag-tag. But that'll have to do, given that they're a militia.

The striped pants don't really show in the pictures, but they're there. My biggest victory with these is that I don't think that the hand sculpted heads immediately stand out from the rest. Small preview of my Christmas painting queue:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 23, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

If you're looking for something with pretty pictures of miniatures, current events in the wargaming scene, and some tutorials on how to do this or that it's pretty good. Don't expect any hard-hitting reviews or investigative journalism out of it though.

Thank you, that is exactly what I am looking for in a hobby magazine.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

MeinPanzer posted:

They are based in Cumbria. The locals can be like that.

Watch Withnail and I.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lovely cell phone pics but here's my first base of these 3d printed 10mm guys. Turned out pretty good, but wow was it fiddly to get them on there. There's no small base that they stand on in the model so I just had to fiddle with gluing their tiny feet to the base. But I like the varied poses, gives the base a nice "organic" look. I forsee having a hell of a time getting sand in the small gaps as my basing media though because they're packed on there so tight, haha.

Looking forward to cranking out some more stands, next I'm going to do a stand of knights and a stand of bowmen so I can experiment with the spacing of horses and loose order infantry

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Painting tutorial for the Warlord 15mm ACW infantry. Another huge bonus of a small shoulder to shoulder unit - you can paint it a hell of a lot quicker.

Also this video shows you can't easily cut the 10 man unit into 5 with just a hobby knife and they are smaller than other manufacturers whose 15mm is often closer to 20mm.

Anyone ever re-fought Pickett's charge and won? Or is the Sealion of the ACW, doomed to failure every time.

I joined the Australian ACW wargame group, and the first post I see is one advocating Texas to leave the union...yeikes.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My https://grumblerminiatures.com/ Old Guard arrived today, just in time for eight days off! I'm going to get photos up tomorrow maybe, they are hands down the best sculpts I've seen in 6mm. The details on them are insanely crisp.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Lol yes he got into a fight with a grog recently regarding whether or not it’s acceptable to make horses that only touch ground with two hooves. Sometimes it shows that it’s a garage industry.

E:

Ok so my first Italian Wars hobbits are done. Not sure if I should have pushed the red-white scheme more, now they look a bit random and rag-tag. But that'll have to do, given that they're a militia.

The striped pants don't really show in the pictures, but they're there. My biggest victory with these is that I don't think that the hand sculpted heads immediately stand out from the rest. Small preview of my Christmas painting queue:

Love the scheme. Especially the metallics, which pop quite a bit.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Comstar posted:

Anyone ever re-fought Pickett's charge and won? Or is the Sealion of the ACW, doomed to failure every time.

As with all wargames, it's all what you consider a win.

I've played plenty of hex-and-counter Gettysburg wargames, and some of them have ended up with a Confederate victory. But in general terms it seems like if you get to the point that you're on Day 3 (July 3rd) and you haven't pushed the Union off of their hills and ridges and are considering one big charge across open ground into their guns a la Pickett, you've already lost. Your best chance at a win is to be aggressive at the start (Day 1), pick one flank, and try to push the Union out of the good defensive positions.

Comstar posted:

I joined the Australian ACW wargame group, and the first post I see is one advocating Texas to leave the union...yeikes.

This is the absolute worst part of ACW gaming. I really want to play games and paint little soldiers in the era, but you really need to carefully curate your opponents unless you want to play with Nathan Bedford Forrest apologists.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Cessna posted:

This is the absolute worst part of ACW gaming. I really want to play games and paint little soldiers in the era, but you really need to carefully curate your opponents unless you want to play with Nathan Bedford Forrest apologists.

This right here, the civil war is interesting, but being from the mid-west, there are some people who want to play the confederacy a little too enthusiastically. I really want to play Longstreet (Sam Mustafa's ruleset), bought some minis and got the rules/cards, but I just don't want to play the conflict itself as its too polarizing still (which is just sad). I imagine ww2 gaming isn't super popular in Germany either. When there is a distinct "bad guy" in historical gaming its gets weird. When everyone is the bad guy, or all sides were ambiguously grey area its easier to play a faction/side that you may not ideologically align with.

I think (also as an American) that's why I am so enamored with the Napoleonic era, the Seven Years war, War of Spanish Succession, etc. Time and distance, not having a direct tie to much of the conflict. Probably why ACW is popular in Europe and Australia.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mr.Booger posted:

This right here, the civil war is interesting, but being from the mid-west, there are some people who want to play the confederacy a little too enthusiastically. I really want to play Longstreet (Sam Mustafa's ruleset), bought some minis and got the rules/cards, but I just don't want to play the conflict itself as its too polarizing still (which is just sad). I imagine ww2 gaming isn't super popular in Germany either. When there is a distinct "bad guy" in historical gaming its gets weird. When everyone is the bad guy, or all sides were ambiguously grey area its easier to play a faction/side that you may not ideologically align with.

I think (also as an American) that's why I am so enamored with the Napoleonic era, the Seven Years war, War of Spanish Succession, etc. Time and distance, not having a direct tie to much of the conflict. Probably why ACW is popular in Europe and Australia.

I found a good group that just doesn't play ACW or WW2 to weed out these people automatically.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

If I pick up the Warlord starter I bet the worst thing will be the arguments about who gets to command the 69th New York.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

69th New York.

Nice.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

There are two coupon codes for Warlord Games right now and they stack:

IWANTBETTERTOYS - 10% off (expires Dec. 26th)
XMASGIFT5 - 5 quid off (expires at the end of December)

+ Free shipping right now for orders over 36 dollars.

Also, they just announced preorders for Soviet Airborne, NKVD squad, and anti-tank teams.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Class Warcraft posted:

Also, they just announced preorders for Soviet Airborne, NKVD squad, and anti-tank teams.

Glad to see the NKVD and airborne were spared the worst of Warlord Head Syndrome.

quote:

Soviet airborne troops always fought with tremendous courage and elan, but lacked heavy anti-tank weapons and were badly supported in every operation they attempted.

:ussr:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Glad to see the NKVD and airborne were spared the worst of Warlord Head Syndrome.

:ussr:

”Badly supported” can pretty much sum up most ww2 airborne attempts for all armies involved, though.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Class Warcraft posted:

Sadly I don't think this works anymore, went to go try it and the 2nd one doesn't work at all, maybe they forgot to limit it to one per household or something and someone got a bunch of money off a massive order

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

working mom posted:

Sadly I don't think this works anymore, went to go try it and the 2nd one doesn't work at all, maybe they forgot to limit it to one per household or something and someone got a bunch of money off a massive order

It was a super shortlived promotion so it might be over now but try logging into your warlord account (if you have one). I think it’s linked to their reward system.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 26, 2020

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Class Warcraft posted:

It was a super shortlived promotion so it might be over now but try logging into your warlord account (if you have one). I think it’s linked to their reward system.

Yeah the 10% off one is now expired and the £5 off one is giving me a different message that its not availible, so maybe its for long standing customers or something like that? I only just created an account though I had ordered from them before, ach well didn't really need to add to the shame pile anyway :v:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Q&A on Warlords Epic Scale ACW army

I had typed out every answer...when the browser ate it :(

New news:

The original idea was based on the old ads at the back of comic books in the 60's for 1000's of ACW troops in a foot locker (I know EXACTLY what he means).

They did this scale to fit lots of troops on one frame, uniforms on both sides are the same, you can fit a lot on one frame.

Special figures like Zouvers, Iron Brigade, Horse handlers and wagons will be in resin.

Iron Brigade is coming.

Cavalry will be armed with Sabre/Revolver/carbine.

A Napoleonic version would be great but one game at a time.

The rules in the box is a stripped down Black Powder book with extra rules from Glory Hallelujah (not including the background and scenario's).

(That old add I found at here and the figures look like this:

)

That lead to this where you could buy army surplus unit's...in 1-1 scale

Warlord is missing the bus here, they clearly picked the wrong advertisement.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 27, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Christmas vacation means a lot of painting time. I managed to paint up all my converted Italian halflings except the ones armed with pikes and halberds.

First up are the rodeleros. I wanted to do something with the shields, so I gave most of them a blue chevron. A... cordon bleu, you could say. ;)

The men-at-arms turned out to be mostly metal painting. I added some gold here and there to keep them from looking too bland. The few puffy sleeves I added also helps a lot to give colour to them. They are ready to wade into the thickest of the battle and break through the kneecaps of whatever dares oppose them.

I also ended up making a lot of minis that can fight in these units if I'm using them for Saga, or can be command groups for games like Warhammer Fantasy or Pike and Shotte etc. First up are some standard bearers. I have not yet decided on what flags to use, but I'm slightly leaning towards them being from northern Italy. So I might up ending using a combination of both Milan and some princely families from there (like the Sforza), as well as condotteri (sort of mercenary captains) employed by them. The coloured flagpoles were chosen to emphasize the red and white scheme, as so much of the minis are covered in metal.

The musicians got horns. Later on I'll try to make some pipe and drums, as those seemed very common, often depicted in pairs.

And finally, some commanders. I used the chains as a sign of their status. They can either lead units, or be relegated to further back if I end up making better looking ones.

These were more heavily converted than my archers, and it was fun to see them painted. Basically all metal armour except the leg guards were converted, and on some of them the entire arms and heads were converted as well. Next up will be some more "vanilla" troops, in that the spearmen are mostly head swaps. But there are some surprises in there as well. :)

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Now I'm picturing a tiny hobbit running around shanking and slicing tendons like that scene in Alatriste and its horrifying.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Liljonas you are an inspiration

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Now I'm picturing a tiny hobbit running around shanking and slicing tendons like that scene in Alatriste and its horrifying.

By coincidence that’s pretty much the mental image that convinced me that this project was a good idea. :p

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Liljonas you are an inspiration

Thank you! I’m really getting inspired as well by this project, it has made me try sculpting more and also read up on a new period. Sometimes you get into a positive loop like that, and it’s great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The first tabletop wargame I played was GW's LotR game, and hilariously, hobbits were the top-tier tournament army when I was a kid after they released the Scouring of the Shire supplement book.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Everyone being able to throw stones broke that game so badly. The system was legit great though, and I love it dearly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, going "everyone's a rock thrower" in a game that is very careful about doling out ranged seems to be bad thing.

Also, nice halftierri.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ropes4u posted:

How good/bad is the magazine?

I have been debating ordering one just for the ACW figures.

ACW game at Anniversary con 2025? :D I'll bring some indians

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, I'm really tempted by the new Warlord 15mm ACW, but... I feel like I could get a whole lot more bang for the same buck if I picked up a couple packs of Baccus 6mm ACW. I only have a 3'x4' table anyway :negative:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tias posted:

ACW game at Anniversary con 2025? :D I'll bring some indians

I’m down for that

Tias
May 25, 2008

If I was to use a 1:48 Ilyushin-2 for my Bolt Action game, what brand would be best - assuming that I want something that looks good on a gaming table and not a collector's kit with ridiculously complicated assembly?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tias posted:

If I was to use a 1:48 Ilyushin-2 for my Bolt Action game, what brand would be best - assuming that I want something that looks good on a gaming table and not a collector's kit with ridiculously complicated assembly?

Have you considered doing it in a smaller scale, ie if it is supposed to be flying over the table? Otherwise the zvezda one seems to be the budget i.e not a million parts one.

E: ooops it seems to have a million parts too. But it’s brand new (2020) and cheap, so hopefully it has decent quality.

https://www.detailscaleview.com/2020/12/zvezda-148-il-2-shturmovik-4825.html?m=1

Your other option is a revell kit that’s at least 50% more expensive in the shop I checked:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03932-il-2-stormovik--1080225

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 30, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tias posted:

I'd consider doing it at a smaller scale, 1:56 or even 1:72.

Airplanes are big. A 1:48 IL-2 has a wingspan of around 30cm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

1:56 pretty much doesn’t exist in airplane hobby, but 1/72 is a good option if you don’t want a ”serious” kit with a million details. Airplane builders who build in 1:48 tend to like small details, so you’ll have a harder time finding more basic kits.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ouch, good points. Which 1/72 would y'all recommend then?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tias posted:

Ouch, good points. Which 1/72 would y'all recommend then?

Looking at reviews, the main options seem to be academy if you want a single seater or zvezda for a double seater. People seem to enjoy the academy one a bit more, though it also has a higher price.

E: scalemates is acting up, but Tamiya seems to have one as well in 1/72, which this reviewer seems to like:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937052-il-2-shturmovik-in-172nd-scale-by-tamiya/

Smer also makes one that seems to be both cheap and have gotten pretty good reviews. It has skis! And is like, under 10 euros.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Iljusin-IL-2-549341.html

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 30, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

I found a pretty cheap Zvezda from a Polish export, but I'll check out the Academy ones as well

Thanks a bunch! :ussr:

Tias fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 30, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also if you use 1/72, you can use it in plus-size Blood Red Skies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tias posted:

I found a pretty cheap Zvezda from a Polish export, but I'll check out the Academy ones as well

Thanks a bunch! :ussr:

drat you, now I want to build a cute little Il-2 with skis on to fly over my clubmate's winter soviets, whenever they get done. :argh: