Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Darkrenown posted:

Ugh, that's a shame. At first glance I was hoping for a higher tier T-61. Marceau it is then!

Yeah, it’s definitely not that. Given the bad reviews it may get buffed someday, but don’t buy it now. Marceau is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Velius posted:

This is a bad post. With the change to HE penetration the tech tree German dds are in a good place right now, with the exception being the 150mm gun ships. The Z-23 certainly isn’t a good ship, but aside from that the line is very solid, with the Z-46 in particular probably being a standout.

Z-44 is bad because it has for no good reason significantly lower HE DPM than the Z-35 a tier lower than itself, has no hydro, and bad concealment. For reference, I average 82k damage per game in the Z-35, which has short range torpedoes that stink, because the HE damage output is consistent and very high against most targets because it doesn’t rely on fires.

I guess I see so few German DDs and even less competently played ones I generally assume they are just terrible.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

I guess I see so few German DDs and even less competently played ones I generally assume they are just terrible.

There aren’t many because the line has probably the worst smoke of all dd trees to compensate for having offensive hydro. So they’re more vulnerable to CVs than most of the other lines, I guess? At the least, I think they’re less forgiving of mistakes.

On the other hand, well played German dds are able to influence rounds more than most of the others; you should almost always be able to trade favorably vs enemy dds using smoke and hydro (just not at round start unless you know where enemy radar is), your guns are consistently damaging (32mm HE penetration, more than Akizuki line 100mms at 30, and most other dds are 23mm or so), so you can deal with particularly cruisers better, but also battleships. The AP shells tend to also be great when you can penetrate things, but suffer from the usual low penetration value for German AP; citadeling even lower tier cruisers tends to be only possible at point blank. Great against superstructure or bow/stern of battleships though!

Basically all this is idealized in the Z-46, which you can build out to like 14 km range, 150k HE DPM. A Friesland can do twice the DPM but only pens 20mm, so while he’s limited to setting fires on anything not superstructure, you’re penetrating most cruisers anywhere other than belt armor and battleship deck armor in many cases.

Velius fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 17, 2020

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I agree the Z-46 is very good, and the extra pen really feels nice when playing it. I would actually contend you can build it as a full torp-boat (getting practically 1-minute reload on stealthy, fast, medium-dmg torps) and the guns are still very decent due to the pen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I presume if I've got the coal and don't have Thunderer that getting Thunderer is a good choice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes, if you already have a Georgia.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
IX Z-44, IX Georgia, IX Pommern, IX Alaska, IX Ägir, IX Azuma, and IX Friesland — for 19,300 doubloons.
If you want to pay funny money for a Georgia, it will be in the armory soon. Also there are some coupons to make it cheaper.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you don't want any doubloon ships, use the 25% off coupon to buy a Yahagi since it'll cost ~3200. Then when you earn it in the new year campaign you'll get 4000 dubs as compensation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyone know if the Hizen that's going to be the latest dockyard whaling gimmick ship is any good? I mean, I'll probably grind it out regardless but still.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

IX Z-44, IX Georgia, IX Pommern, IX Alaska, IX Ägir, IX Azuma, and IX Friesland — for 19,300 doubloons.
If you want to pay funny money for a Georgia, it will be in the armory soon. Also there are some coupons to make it cheaper.

Pommern for <15k doubs (with 25% coupon) is quite tempting. But then I am probably going to drop 10k doubs on the dockyard starter.

Is anyone else unable to get into the Armory? I've been waiting for over a month with 300k+ coal to go in and get a Thunderer with the coupon today and now this.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

kaesarsosei posted:

Pommern for <15k doubs (with 25% coupon) is quite tempting. But then I am probably going to drop 10k doubs on the dockyard starter.

Is anyone else unable to get into the Armory? I've been waiting for over a month with 300k+ coal to go in and get a Thunderer with the coupon today and now this.

I can't get into anything at the moment IG, clan, armoury or premium shop.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ooof the secondary skill rework has nerfed German Secondary DPM by roughly 50% against cruisers, and nearly 80% against destroyers due to the manual fire dispersion change. Even against battleships you barely hit anything.

Thanks for that 900m extra range in exchange though.

Its killed German secondary builds, but the Americans aren't quite as bad a hit but they've been knocked too.

Also taking out the AA benefits to the secondary skills is weak as poo poo too.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 20, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What do people think about the Moskva these days?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

That Works posted:

What do people think about the Moskva these days?

It’s a rough ship to play because it’s a huge soft target with bad maneuverability and bad concealment that can eat huge AP damage from almost any angle. It’s guns are really good, but they’ve been heavily power crept. IMO the Nevsky and Petro are much better ships in almost every way.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

colonelwest posted:

It’s a rough ship to play because it’s a huge soft target with bad maneuverability and bad concealment that can eat huge AP damage from almost any angle. It’s guns are really good, but they’ve been heavily power crept. IMO the Nevsky and Petro are much better ships in almost every way.

Compared to Petro Moskva has significantly worse armor and doesn’t get the wacky 360 turrets. In exchange it has more accuracy at range and the normal 12km radar duration, not the short one. I think Petro also has a weirdly faster heal timer too. Legendary Moskva is going to still be fine in randoms but it probably won’t see much competitive use.

Nevsky is a totally different duck and doesn’t seem to be particularly well regarded. Never see them competitively. I have one game in mine, it wasn’t super inspiring.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Ooof the secondary skill rework has nerfed German Secondary DPM by roughly 50% against cruisers, and nearly 80% against destroyers due to the manual fire dispersion change. Even against battleships you barely hit anything.

Thanks for that 900m extra range in exchange though.

Its killed German secondary builds, but the Americans aren't quite as bad a hit but they've been knocked too.

Also taking out the AA benefits to the secondary skills is weak as poo poo too.

does any ship class escape the skill rework without a nerf except carriers?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Jack_tripper posted:

Look deep in your heart, you know the answer already

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Jack_tripper posted:

Search your feelings.

e: poo poo

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Actually the biggest winners are sniping BBs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kaesarsosei posted:

Actually the biggest winners are sniping BBs.

Yeah the rework has encouraged blue line sniping and punishes close up play.

British cruisers have been nerfed too now that the +1 heal is seperate to the other consumable buff too.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

How the gently caress do I play the Montana?! You'd think an extra gun would help but I consistently lose with that ship. Iowa/JB/Alaska/Minotaur/Georgia I can get into a groove with, but I can't "click" with this loving ship. I get burned down playing it like a fat Iowa, I get out-sniped playing it long range, feels completely pointless as a ship.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Its such a mess of a rework that honestly I feels like each tree is not only handled by a different group, but by some people who really have an axe to grind. They don't like brawling BBs, but like sniping BBs, they hate cruisers, are indifferent on DDs and really love CVs.
Pretty much going to be BB's hanging back as far as possible, and the winner will go whatever side wins DD thunderdome. Which isn't super different then now to be honest, but the BB's will be farther back.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Cancelbot posted:

How the gently caress do I play the Montana?! You'd think an extra gun would help but I consistently lose with that ship. Iowa/JB/Alaska/Minotaur/Georgia I can get into a groove with, but I can't "click" with this loving ship. I get burned down playing it like a fat Iowa, I get out-sniped playing it long range, feels completely pointless as a ship.

I love the Montana. It's not a sniper, it's a mid-range bruiser (and because of its HUGE broadside it can brawl in a pinch). You should not be trading fire at long range with other battleships; use your relatively decent concealment to wait for cruisers to show broadsides. Delete cruisers. Stay alive by angling out, do NOT get stuck nose-in, and you can live a really long time.

When it's late game and you have to square off against battleships your best bet is—well I don't know what your best bet is, but absolutely the coolest bet is to pull up alongside like a pirate ship and drop a broadside into their citadel. Don't forget to pre-aim your turrets for the pass or you'll look stupid.

Really the key to the Montana is to angle out and to pick your shots. You can't just shoot every time your guns are ready like the overmatch BBs, your guns are too low caliber (pathetic that this has to be said of 16" guns, but, hey). Wait for broadsides and good angles.

You also don't need HE to hurt destroyers, your huge shotgun broadside is going to hurt even with overpens.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sure it might've been power crept but it's still the ship I have all my damage records in (despite owning a Thunderer and Georgia). It can do work.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Yeah I try to play like Iowa where I anchor on a flank and push, but it seems to get burned down really quickly. I think the red team hit the big "panic" button when they see a Montana. That and being an anchor doesn't suit her, she's not great at BB fights but will devstrike anything cruiser-ey.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Most of my success with the Montana has been following our DDs and giving a great big gently caress you to enemy cruisers trying to give them a hard time, then ducking back into concealment before everyone can light me up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Decided to get the Marceau for coal with the coupon, ship is definitely a odd duck considering the rest of the French line. First game, it was probably going to be a loss, but there was a chance and then the matched just crashed back to port.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Marceau is interesting. I have more fun in the Kleber, but with the Marceau you can do the normal Kleber DD rush-and-kill moves but can also fall back and lob hot bullshit from behind an island. On a lot of maps that have those medium height ranges you can just sprint around from cover-to-cover being an impossible pain in the arse. I think I'm pretty happy going for it instead of the Yoshino, it keeps you on your toes if you want to maximise your performance. The DPS is outstanding, it's just a matter of being in positions to use it.

Against T8 carriers it throws enough AA out there so that they'll generally leave you alone too, so that's a bonus.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CitizenKain posted:

Its such a mess of a rework that honestly I feels like each tree is not only handled by a different group, but by some people who really have an axe to grind. They don't like brawling BBs, but like sniping BBs, they hate cruisers, are indifferent on DDs and really love CVs.
Pretty much going to be BB's hanging back as far as possible, and the winner will go whatever side wins DD thunderdome. Which isn't super different then now to be honest, but the BB's will be farther back.

What are they doing to cruisers?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

masterpine posted:

Marceau is interesting. I have more fun in the Kleber, but with the Marceau you can do the normal Kleber DD rush-and-kill moves but can also fall back and lob hot bullshit from behind an island. On a lot of maps that have those medium height ranges you can just sprint around from cover-to-cover being an impossible pain in the arse. I think I'm pretty happy going for it instead of the Yoshino, it keeps you on your toes if you want to maximise your performance. The DPS is outstanding, it's just a matter of being in positions to use it.

Against T8 carriers it throws enough AA out there so that they'll generally leave you alone too, so that's a bonus.

I've had the Kleber unlocked for some time now, but haven't felt like stepping up from the Mogador. But it was also the only coal ship that looked interesting from the ones I had left.

colonelwest posted:

What are they doing to cruisers?

The big one is super/battle cruisers lose the ability to take Fire Prevention. The German ones lose their secondary builds. AFT is gone, so Atlana/Flint/Smol/Colbert all get hit by that, although Atlanta is supposedly getting a buff to 13km range by default now. Also demolition expert has been dropped to 1%.
On top of that, now battleships can get a bonus to accuracy at long range, torpedo bombers can now essentially ignore torpedo protection as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The gacha spat me out a Kutuzov. :thumbsup:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
On the one hand, I got a Krispy Kreme. On the other, I also got a Benham. In conclusion, many gacha packs make a pickle, and weegee is a land of contrasts.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
any active goon clans running for this game?

The clan I'm in went full trump reelection and it split in half or thirds. kinda funny to witness really.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Despite near universal condemnation of the skills rework they're still aiming to push it out in the next patch.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Doesn't premium time usually go on sale around now? Or do they wait till after Christmas? Barring that, I've got one of those coupons and am now debating either buying some doubloons or grabbing a new premium ship.

Also I haven't been paying attention in months...could someone post a recap or a summary of the new skills system that's coming out?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 24, 2020

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
tl;dr: battleship secondaries getting nerfed, new skills encourage back-line sniping

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Handsome Ralph posted:

Doesn't premium time usually go on sale around now? Or do they wait till after Christmas? Barring that, I've got one of those coupons and am now debating either buying some doubloons or grabbing a new premium ship.

Also I haven't been paying attention in months...could someone post a recap or a summary of the new skills system that's coming out?

I have also been waiting for the biannual 50% off for 180/360 days premium, and so far nothing. Maybe they're waiting until after the xmas boxes are done?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MrKatharsis posted:

tl;dr: battleship secondaries getting nerfed, new skills encourage back-line sniping

If this makes my Mass secondary build near useless, congrats wargaming, I no longer desire to play this game!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Handsome Ralph posted:

If this makes my Mass secondary build near useless, congrats wargaming, I no longer desire to play this game!

US BB's aren't quite as bad, they had better base accuracy, but the Germans got wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MrKatharsis posted:

Some of the skills are mind-bogglingly stupid, like "how the gently caress would anyone who plays the game come up with this poo poo" stupid. Like a cruiser skill that gives you -10% main battery reload and +8% top speed if you have more spotted enemies in your base firing range than friendlies.

Which is a skill that's extremely difficult to get to pop in any normal situation and often isn't in any way in your own control, and costs 4 skill points.