Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
HOT CHILD SERVICES ACTION
No murder...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

At least Rika is doing something now! It's been a while since I played through the sound novels, but I recall the "Teppei comes back" scenario being the one Rika found the most hopeless, so that kinda explains why she's been so passive this chapter until she realised Keiichi remembered killing Teppei.

Not sure why Ooishi got the cicada treatment, but I did very much think they were going to pan to either Satoko's dead body, or Teppei having been pushed out of a window.

also it's definitely Bern's origin story and I cannot wait for Featherine to show up

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

just toss Erika in there next arc to confuse everyone and really gently caress things up

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Regarding the Bernkastel talk, if I haven't played Umineko yet, but plan to, should I stop watching this? Very pleased to see characters being more proactive this time, even if it just means we get alt-Minagoroshi instead of alt-Tatarigoroshi. At least it means the assumption that arcs will be handled differently after this one seems to be correct.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sinteres posted:

Regarding the Bernkastel talk, if I haven't played Umineko yet, but plan to, should I stop watching this? Very pleased to see characters being more proactive this time, even if it just means we get alt-Minagoroshi instead of alt-Tatarigoroshi. At least it means the assumption that arcs will be handled differently after this one seems to be correct.

Hm. No, I think you should be fine. There are a few characters in Umineko who physically resemble Higurashi characters, but there are very few actual references, it's mostly easter eggs for people who've played both.

Spoiler for people who have played Umineko: it's been a while but Featherine is definitely suspicious from the get go, right? She only goes full villain towards the end, but she's never really presented as trustworthy IIRC, so I think "Featherine is an rear end in a top hat" doesn't really spoil Umineko as such. Please correct me if I'm misremembering though.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

mycelia posted:

Not sure why Ooishi got the cicada treatment, but I did very much think they were going to pan to either Satoko's dead body, or Teppei having been pushed out of a window.

Oishi is really good at making Keiichi paranoid, and a paranoid Keiichi is the last thing they'd want if they want to finish this route with no murders

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ignis posted:

Oishi is really good at making Keiichi paranoid, and a paranoid Keiichi is the last thing they'd want if they want to finish this route with no murders

ah gently caress good point

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Since first three arcs will take half of the whole run, does that mean that they'll skip some in the future or that the arcs after that are shorter? I'm asking because I'm reading the novel more or less simultaneously with anime and I wonder if I should pick up the pace

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mycelia posted:

also it's definitely Bern's origin story and I cannot wait for Featherine to show up
I have literally no idea why people are coming to this conclusion after this episode.

macabresca posted:

Since first three arcs will take half of the whole run, does that mean that they'll skip some in the future or that the arcs after that are shorter? I'm asking because I'm reading the novel more or less simultaneously with anime and I wonder if I should pick up the pace
I wouldn't use the show as any sort of useful measuring stick for what arcs it will or will not cover; for example, what even would the "answer" arcs be for something like this? That's more than half of the original VN that is currently pretty unnecessary to implement IMO in the current format that is this show.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nate RFB posted:

I have literally no idea why people are coming to this conclusion after this episode.

Not just this episode, people have been speculating that since episode 2's opening. It doesn't make much sense for Featherine to be in the intro otherwise. It doesn't mean it 100% is - I was exaggerating - but it seems likely. That or Featherine is just loving around with Showa 58 again for Reasons, which isn't impossible.

To me it's more interesting if it is. That's all I meant by it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if this all just turned out to be some auxiliary story connecting the When They Cry Universe without actually saying anything on its own as a story that would be the most boring thing possible to me

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Colonel posted:

if this all just turned out to be some auxiliary story connecting the When They Cry Universe without actually saying anything on its own as a story that would be the most boring thing possible to me

aren't there already like two Higurashi OVAs that are exactly that

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

macabresca posted:

A lot of the stuff in today's episode is from the 7th VN arc. The current assumption is that this will be the last arc that follows close parallels, and once that's out the window, pretty much anything from the original series could be spoiled at any time. I'd really just put this on pause until you finish the VNs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i only watched rei and the killing dice arc is like. kinda something that works into that i guess. but it's also an adaptation of a short story released on a fandisc a bit after the original vns ended and isn't really built as an umineko prequel or anything.

besides that i, also do in fact have mixed feelings on lots of the extended higurashi material after the original vns including things like the console arcs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mycelia posted:

Not just this episode, people have been speculating that since episode 2's opening. It doesn't make much sense for Featherine to be in the intro otherwise. It doesn't mean it 100% is - I was exaggerating - but it seems likely. That or Featherine is just loving around with Showa 58 again for Reasons, which isn't impossible.

To me it's more interesting if it is. That's all I meant by it.

I mostly I mean to the point where people (erroneously, IMO) are now treating Umineko as apparently required to watch this show and like, lol we ain't even close to that being the case yet.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Honestly, not really? Saikoroshi is the one most people point to as having the most implicit connections but it's hardly definitive by any stretch and still ultimately more just functions as its own story.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
It's nice to see Rika being more proactive but I have no idea what is going on with her if she remembers things from OG Higurashi why is she only now attempting to overturn fate and utilise the power of friendship? Other than that is how it went in Minagoroshi-hen. If she doesn't remember anything from OG Higurashi we haven't had anything akin to Tsumihoroboshi to y'know inspire her to believe that fate can be overturned and friendship is magic

Anyhoo, my current theory is that there is a Witch of TV Tropes or something loving about undermining Friendship and Miracles, because they hate good storytelling

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Just gonna spitball some thoughts -

So far in Gou the arcs are playing out exactly as the surface level interpretation of events during a first read of Higurashi:
Rena is out to kill Keiichi
Mion is the killer

Even though initially 'the true nature of everything' is not as it would appear. Chapter 3 can't really follow this pattern with Keiichi not off to murderize a mahou Hojou, so what would I expect?

The obvious is despair and Rika's hopes getting crushed. That's a given. I want Ryukishi07's involvement to continue to subvert expectations at this point but nah, not going to happen. prove me wrong motherfucker I''m still not cool with how Onikakushi concluded this season. If Featherine is involved, which yeah that silhouette in the OP looks like her, then it jumps into a convoluted web of meta nonsense into Bernkastel Begins. I'd still love it but have a lingering doubt that's the case.

Following the pattern of 'poo poo plays out as it seems' now with Satoko, I'm anticipating a 'twist' in that she's either dead by the time anyone can do anything, or she kills Teppei herself. First time reading I totally expected an arc of death traps from her eventually, which is a really stupid take but Gou seems to be running with those.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

While a cameo or two would be cute, I really hope the series isn't going to jump whole-hog into Umineko's metaworld. It was awesome in the context of the kind of story Umineko was telling, but Higurashi neither needs nor benefits from going to much into the metanarrative that Uminkeo's arcs were built on. (Which followed a very different logic from Higurashi even if there are connections between them.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mycelia posted:

Spoiler for people who have played Umineko: it's been a while but Featherine is definitely suspicious from the get go, right? She only goes full villain towards the end, but she's never really presented as trustworthy IIRC, so I think "Featherine is an rear end in a top hat" doesn't really spoil Umineko as such. Please correct me if I'm misremembering though.

What? Featherine never goes "full villain." She's just a sort of "neutral/amoral" figure due to being fundamentally "separate" from the events transpiring as an author (since she's basically "higher level" relative to folks like Bernkastel/Lambdadelta in the same way they're "higher level" than people like meta-Battler/Beato, though all of this is also only in relation to the "meta" events; there isn't really a straight-forward plot arc in Umineko with a villain in the same vein as Higurashi.

That being said, it's true that there's no real risk of spoilers there. Anything potentially mentioned about that character in this isn't really going to spoil anything in Umineko since none of the core mysteries are really related to that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Seemed to be the convincing of the elders played straight. If there's going to be any major twist beyond a shift to Minagoroshi, it's happening in the last episode, again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nothing really new there, but it was still fun to see one of the most satisfying moments of the whole series animated since I've only read the VNs before. I wouldn't be shocked if the twist here is that one or both of Satoko or Teppei are dead by the time our heroes are ready to save her. We might be ready to get a first real hint about what's going on in the big picture too, since that's basically how the third arc of the original series ended.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Satoko and Teppei didn't even show up this episode, I have no faith that they'll be ok in the next one

edit: keiichi, present your rear end to the screen:

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 17, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a little funny how "I hope the show will do right by the pacing and not go through the question and answer arcs in two cours" has turned into "let's just speed run the question and answer arcs simultaneously in one cour".

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I dunno what the narrative goal is yet but its certainly the only logical progression for a rika with memories in this world

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

It's a little funny how "I hope the show will do right by the pacing and not go through the question and answer arcs in two cours" has turned into "let's just speed run the question and answer arcs simultaneously in one cour".

I think it's pretty reasonable for people's expectations to change once we knew it was a sequel, and to be impatient even with the pace we're getting. I do think people would have been more bored with a straight remake that took more time than a lot of us realized at the time, though my perspective may be biased by having read the VNs very recently, whereas a lot of people's experience with the series could have been a number of years ago. Still, expanding on the arcs would have probably required a bigger focus on the slice of life stuff, and that seems to be one of the most divisive things about the series. I think it adds meaning to the rest, but a lot of people seem to view it as boring homework before getting to the good stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think that view is just born out of how much the original anime skips in favor of portraying the story as a bloody slasher flick until like, chapter 6. i think there are definitely ways you could shave down higurashi's pacing, ryukishi's writing always kinda lingers on some things longer than it needs to, but the original anime's approach didn't so much pare things down as it did chop out everything important those scenes established and give a weird impression of what the story is about, and that approach ultimately just kind of put them in an extra awkward position for s2 when they actually had to go back and adapt a lot of the things they skipped over

ultimately though i have just kind of accepted that basically nothing past the original release of the vn can recapture the way that first half comes off, its horror is too reliant on how vague its presentation is and the moment you go beyond just describing things in text things always get a bit uneven to me. even some of the cgs added in console releases of the vn end up just looking, weird. so i'll just be happy that the old anime's covering of chapters 7 and 8 is like the best animated treatment those parts could ever get in contrast

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 18, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mostly just think it's weird how we're just in this more or less straight up Minagoroshi arc, a story that was entirely notable because of its juxtaposition to not only to Tatarigoroshi but all of the other arcs as well. So we've skipped basically of the reasons Keiichi giving Oryou poo poo would've been such a big deal.

Like ostensibly the idea with all of these arcs is that they are the Question arc issues presented with the "solutions" gleaned from the Answer arcs except, surprise they didn't actually solve anything this time around for ~reasons~ which may or may not pay off but until then it makes episodes like this feel largely wasteful.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I mostly just think it's weird how we're just in this more or less straight up Minagoroshi arc, a story that was entirely notable because of its juxtaposition to not only to Tatarigoroshi but all of the other arcs as well. So we've skipped basically of the reasons Keiichi giving Oryou poo poo would've been such a big deal.

Like ostensibly the idea with all of these arcs is that they are the Question arc issues presented with the "solutions" gleaned from the Answer arcs except, surprise they didn't actually solve anything this time around for ~reasons~ which may or may not pay off but until then it makes episodes like this feel largely wasteful.

Yeah that's the worst of both worlds aspect of the way they handled this. None of this is going to mean anything or come off as coherent to people who haven't experienced the original, and it's super repetitive for people who have. Like I said before, I enjoyed this specific episode because there's novelty in seeing arguably the highpoint of the series animated after having only read the VNs before, but there have been others that have been pretty boring because the expectation has been set that this is different and many episodes are basically straight retellings. On the plus side, I think this is the last episode of the series that'll be that way. I could be wrong, but I expect next week's episode to diverge even more than the other arc endings have, and then to be in new territory from there.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I feel the biggest weakness is that it is hewing too close to the original arcs by having almost exclusively having Keiichi as the point of view character, episode 2 opens with Rika going "Dang I gotta solve and escape this new puzzle" followed by 11 episodes of seeing very little of what she's thinking or doing, why was she so passive in the first arc? Why was she a doomer in the second? What changed that lead her to being so confident in this arc, while seemingly doing little to confront the over-arching threat?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Congratulations! Satoko comes to Watanagashi just fine!

And then serious spoilers TEPPEI(?) TRIES TO KILL KEIICHI!? BUT KEIICHI KILLS HIM BACK IN DEFENSE!? AND NOW EVERYONE IS DEAD BESIDES HIM AND RENA? IS IT AUTUMN? WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?

Oh well, Nekodamashi next, have fun~

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
WTF HAPPENED WHY

NEKODAMASHI???

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was odd.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

WTF HAPPENED WHY

NEKODAMASHI???

bernkastel is associated with cats. is this seriously going to be the bernkastel origin story nobody asked for

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I completely forgot about the existence of Nekogoroshi when I made that post, wonder if it'll be a spin on that or just change into something completely different

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

I completely forgot about the existence of Nekogoroshi when I made that post, wonder if it'll be a spin on that or just change into something completely different
Huh. I only played the VN, so I didn't even know about it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

Additionally it was never licensed for the US so there’s another barrier to access for a lot of people.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man these arc endings keep falling completely flat for me. Like instead of feeling like a tragic ending or even a mysterious one or whatever, the last five episodes just feel like a total waste of time now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So are the scenes with that flickering effect actually happening, or just Keiichi going crazy? Because Teppei coming back and killing Keiichi with the bat (that should have been at the school?) makes even less sense than Satoko doing it, and that first swing looked like it came from below Keiichi,

while Teppei is huge and should have hit him from above like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elephant Parade posted:

Thanks When They Cry Wiki...