Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

After a very annoying four hours of work I got called in to do last night, I am ALMOST ready to chill out and enjoy Christmas. I made four batches of cookies and two pans of fudge last night so I can Game more efficiently - one regular chocolate, one I was going to do white chocolate and pretzels, but the grocery was out of white chocolate chips so I got some kind of Funfetti (cake batter flavor for non-Americans) chips and used those. I just have to go and pick up some gifts from the store (I ordered them a week ago, not last-minute shopping) and then do a quick family dinner and I will be ready to do a video game really good

I managed to play maybe an hour of Gears Tactics and it seems fun so far. My favorite part is that the enemy spawners are called Emergence Holes, which gets shortened to E-hole. I see an E-hole! Grenade out, E-hold collapsed! Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at least they weren't ascendance holes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Relax Or DIE posted:

maybe for Christmas Jeff can flip the forums switch from 'slow' to fast' but that's just one poster's opinion

I think he actually did that, suddenly it's back to normal performance guessing a server or service had gotten squirrelly and needed to be poked once

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEIixVMu1g4

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

haveblue posted:

I think he actually did that, suddenly it's back to normal performance guessing a server or service had gotten squirrelly and needed to be poked once

I'm pretty sure I've seen him say it's something to do with a search indexing script that usually needs to get unclogged most of the time.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I got distracted from listening to Simone's music list by listening to Sean Bonnette from AJJ play Neil Young songs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My surge protector popped mid-game in Gundam and I got a 10 minute kick penalty

What if everyone thinks I'm a scrub and rage quit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I decided to try to play Sekiro again and I gotta be honest, I don't think I'm ever going to "get" this combat. I don't know what it is but trying to play this game just turns my fingers into useless lumps of garbage and I will never understand how to time parries. It's bumming me out because I can tell this game is great and I think it's just gonna be out of my reach.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I decided to try to play Sekiro again and I gotta be honest, I don't think I'm ever going to "get" this combat. I don't know what it is but trying to play this game just turns my fingers into useless lumps of garbage and I will never understand how to time parries. It's bumming me out because I can tell this game is great and I think it's just gonna be out of my reach.

You can do it Harrow.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Any advice on how best to tackle side quests, or whether there are some "don't miss these" side quests I should look out for? I remember I tried to get into the game on the Wii version years ago but I burned myself out fairly early/hit a crazy amount of analysis paralysis trying to do all the side quests, which I should've known better than to try.

From a few pages back - side quests fall into 2 categories. 'Kill/Loot X' and 'Quests with actual name'. The quests with names can be engaging, the others aren't. There are some quests that grant awesome stuff I won't spoil, but they tend to be gated by having a high reputation with a town to acquire them, which means doing ALL the sidequests. If you go that route, then you want to scan the map for quests at noon and midnight to catch all the questgivers regardless of their daily schedule. You can also gain town reputation by talking to NPCs multiple times, at different times of day, to get all their possible dialogues. New quests and new dialogues appear after doing quests, advancing town rep, and advancing the plot. It's, um, a lot.

That said, doing all the quests is a drat sight easier in the remake because the map and minimap have been massively improved both for showing you where to get quests, and where to go to complete them. So you can just warp to a zone, set the time, check the map, get quests, change the time, repeat. Then track a specific sidequest to go straight to the objective.

There are two sets of quests that I'd consider genuinely fun and interesting in XenoblaDE:
1) There are multiple sets of Giant's ruins in the game that always have a quest to explore. It's some good worldbuilding.
2) There's a nopon drug smuggling ring. It's awesome/hilarious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Reminding myself to post a reply to the post that mentioned monarchs when I get to my screenshot archive

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

In my experience parries almost always occur earlier than you think they do, whether it's due to input lag or something about how they do their animations. The game and most of the fans will tell you HESITATION IS DEFEAT and that you should always be aggressive, but that's not actually true- it's the same back and forth trading combos in recognizable patterns as most brawlers and the Souls games, just faster and with you having the ability to absorb enemy attacks and turn them into an advantage.

You can parry pretty much anything that doesn't flash the red icon with the right timing, and yes...

Regy Rusty posted:

You can do it Harrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy8GU_19V4E

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah I think you got this Harrow

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Try thinking the parrying in sekiro as more like dark souls blocking than dark souls parrying. You can parry/block early and not take damage, you just wont get the extra bonus if you don't get the timing exactly right.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Who blocks in dark souls

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Should be Monarch or something imo

Me when another IK is promoted

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Who blocks in dark souls

If I want to not block I play the superior game for that playstyle, bloodborne

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The shield slot is for putting a cool design on your back

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The shield slot is for putting a cool design on your back

Grass crest shield is pretty ugly tho

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
blocking owns when you're fighting a huge guy and you just stop his big sword hit and make him look like a dumb jackass

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like the souls shield with the little spider on it

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
One Hour into Final Fantasy XIII First Impressions:
- First cut scene got me hyped up
- Lightning is just femme Cloud
- You can see the guts of the Final Fantasy VII ATB system, and I'm worried that is going to hinder my personal experience with this game.
- Setting & initial lore seem promising

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

One Hour into Final Fantasy XIII First Impressions:
- First cut scene got me hyped up
- Lightning is just femme Cloud
- You can see the guts of the Final Fantasy VII ATB system, and I'm worried that is going to hinder my personal experience with this game.
- Setting & initial lore seem promising

Wait for the exposition dumps and try to keep up with all of the terminology.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“L’Cie” is French for “the saw”, almost

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

You know what they call a Fat Chocobo in France?
They don't call it a Fat Chocobo?
Chocobo's a Chocobo, but they call it "le grande avion"

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Jay Rust posted:

Please be mindful of spoilers tia

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
wait a minute, Moms are tough

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I wanted to screenshot that, but didn’t.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I want you all to know I am not responsible for the poll numbers you see. I would never interfere with democracy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

hatty posted:

wait a minute, Moms are tough

:hai:

My ma isn't cool, but she's tough as gently caress. When I was 17 a million years ago (2010) a boy called me a dyke for having short hair in front of her, and she lectured him so hard he started crying and ran away lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

Try thinking the parrying in sekiro as more like dark souls blocking than dark souls parrying. You can parry/block early and not take damage, you just wont get the extra bonus if you don't get the timing exactly right.

important to remember just blocking will quickly break your posture though, so there is a pretty big downside. also one thingg i think people forget early on is that holding block and not taking hits recovers posture faster than having your sword down which is kind of opposite to a souls game with shields and stam.

haveblue posted:

In my experience parries almost always occur earlier than you think they do, whether it's due to input lag or something about how they do their animations. The game and most of the fans will tell you HESITATION IS DEFEAT and that you should always be aggressive, but that's not actually true- it's the same back and forth trading combos in recognizable patterns as most brawlers and the Souls games, just faster and with you having the ability to absorb enemy attacks and turn them into an advantage.

You can parry pretty much anything that doesn't flash the red icon with the right timing, and yes...

yeah you def dont need to just be aggressive all the time, but there are some bosses where you need to press them otherwise you never wear them down. there is also a sort of defensive benefit to pressing an attack in some cases in that it stops them returning attacks until they deflect you, which can give you a window to collect your thoughts on bosses that just keep advancing on you. thats all situational on some bosses tho, most you can settle into a defensive trading posture if thats whats comfortable.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Happy holidays to everyone. But happier holidays hopefully to the next 2 goons who post itt promising they want to feed some fishes and also who have pms so that I can pm them my Steam account and gift them The good fish game.

You don't have to name any of your fish Bowsette but it is strongly encouraged.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"...Dyne...is that you?"

Dag nabbit I plum darn hate having to put Sad Barret through all these shenanigans.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

:hai:

My ma isn't cool, but she's tough as gently caress. When I was 17 a million years ago (2010) a boy called me a dyke for having short hair in front of her, and she lectured him so hard he started crying and ran away lol

hell yeah!!!

edit: not to you being called that obviously, I'm sorry that happened, but to your mum

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds like moms are tough...to be near

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Call Your Grandma posted:

Happy holidays to everyone. But happier holidays hopefully to the next 2 goons who post itt promising they want to feed some fishes and also who have pms so that I can pm them my Steam account and gift them The good fish game.

You don't have to name any of your fish Bowsette but it is strongly encouraged.

I will feed fish.

In the spirit, who wants a Danganronpa code? I got gifted dupes (priority to Call Your Grandma if they want it)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Sounds like moms are tough...to be near

My ma is a chav, so, yes, quite tough to be in earshot of

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

SIMONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Iirc the scene goes

MOM: "Moms are tough"

MOM gets killed

End scene