Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The actor that plays Thom is also Flynn Ryder in the Danish version of Rapunzel, if anyone wants to actually hear him singing. It'd expect Thom to be a bit more gruff/weathered, but it's not bad at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tdwySjgTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Somewhat more importantly, there's a Q&A with Rafe:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1341862273153810432

...in which the guitar question is addressed, though not the beer one.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sanderson being one of the go/no go people is a little concerning.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Somewhat more importantly, there's a Q&A with Rafe:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1341862273153810432

...in which the guitar question is addressed, though not the beer one.

Oh, I hadn't seen that Q&A. The fact that they're making Thom "younger and gritter" is a little disquieting, but I've heard good things from basically everyone about Rafe (and just found out he was on Survivor when I googled him) so I'll withhold judgement. Here's the specific answer if anyone else was curious.

https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1341858583680483328

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Sanderson being one of the go/no go people is a little concerning.

Whatever you think of his handling of the last three books, you can't deny he knows his WoT lore.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I thought he plays a harp

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought he plays a harp

yes, that's a change from the books

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Oh, I hadn't seen that Q&A. The fact that they're making Thom "younger and gritter" is a little disquieting, but I've heard good things from basically everyone about Rafe (and just found out he was on Survivor when I googled him) so I'll withhold judgement. Here's the specific answer if anyone else was curious.

https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1341858583680483328

Equating "strong masculine energy" with "younger & grittier" is a bit worrying, even given the gendered themes in the books but I'm going to hope for the best.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What the gently caress. At the very least make it a lute.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

jng2058 posted:

Whatever you think of his handling of the last three books, you can't deny he knows his WoT lore.

yeah makes sense to me

no one asked:
will randlanders say "gently caress" and "poo poo" like in GoT and will Elayne use these swears badly? Lews tap dancing Therin, egwene, you want to be an Aes Sedai??

Guitar, harp, whatever. A guitar's too delicate for your rough farmer's handy, boy. Toss a coin to your Gleeman!

i posted the link to the QA in that same post, fools. click my link instead

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Sounds like Jared Leto should have been cast for Thom.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Leto would be a better Rand tbh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Honestly I don’t mind if they change his instrument; but if he isn’t part of the initial party that leaves Emond’s Field I’m not going to be happy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Honestly I don’t mind if they change his instrument; but if he isn’t part of the initial party that leaves Emond’s Field I’m not going to be happy.

I believe he's only been filming in block 2, episodes 3 and 4. Which suggests to me that Rand and Mat meet him in an inn on their way from Shadar Logoth, and that he leaves them somewhere outside of Caemlyn, perhaps in Rand's last confrontation with the darkfriends (and there's a fade or so in that group) pursuing him and Mat.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1341858200941776896
Hmm. My bet's on no Elayne yet, and they only introduce her later once Egwene and Nynaeve are in the tower. Changes the romance with Rand too, probably for the better.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there an actor for Gawyn yet? Does he have a dumb stupid face that thinks a farm boy with a staff is easy pickings?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably just be better if they took the liberty to excise him. Not like he really does anything for like 12 books anyways.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1341858200941776896
Hmm. My bet's on no Elayne yet, and they only introduce her later once Egwene and Nynaeve are in the tower. Changes the romance with Rand too, probably for the better.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is there an actor for Gawyn yet? Does he have a dumb stupid face that thinks a farm boy with a staff is easy pickings?

Given that we've gotten pretty good info on casting so far, excepting "Steve", the fact that we haven't heard about a single Trakand, makes it seem like Elayne, Gawyn, Galad, and Morgase are all appearing first in season two. Though maybe Morgase and/or Elaida show up as part of the expanded Logain stuff the show is doing.

That said...

Invalid Validation posted:

Probably just be better if they took the liberty to excise him. Not like he really does anything for like 12 books anyways.

...this feels like a pretty decent idea. Gawyn only shows up sporadically and sucks when he does appear. If you need a "major" character to dump to smooth your production, Gawyn is at the top of my list. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My only worry is that without Gawyn someone else will be the Worst Person in the Story, and if we keep trimming those it'll eventually hit someone actually likeable.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

My only worry is that without Gawyn someone else will be the Worst Person in the Story, and if we keep trimming those it'll eventually hit someone actually likeable.

I’m hoping they clean up the plot line, but Perrin’s teenage relationship angst could pick up that mantle pretty quickly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thom better still be coming to Emond's field.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I dunno if a younger Thom can even really be Thom. It changes his relationship dynamic with pretty much everyone, and I'm not sure you can cram even most of his backtsory and motivations into someone not-old. I suppose maybe that doesn't matter as much in the shorter format of TV?

jng2058 posted:

You... actually probably can argue that. On certain subjects and details, at the very least.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Younger Thom was busy being callow and rash in various places. Half the character is hung on the “I’m too old for this t’averen” trope. I don’t know how his relationships have any of their necessary depth if he’s younger, including the penultimate one. Going to be strange, for sure.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gawyn should just be a minor character who shows up in the Warder training grounds, gets knocked out by Mat, and then is never seen again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

that but with no other context or backstory he goes flying towards demandred and gets loving chumped

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I never expected a Thom older than, say, the early 50s. Morgase is like, mid-to-late 30s, Moiraine's probably early 40s. They probably made Thom like 5 whole years younger than in the books.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't mind the change to guitar, or Thom only being 48 instead of like 70. The stated reasons for the changes sound pretty stupid though

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I never expected a Thom older than, say, the early 50s. Morgase is like, mid-to-late 30s, Moiraine's probably early 40s. They probably made Thom like 5 whole years younger than in the books.

Moiraine is 40s. She was Accepted in the day Rand was born, and he's 18ish at series beginning, and she and Sanche haven't spoken in 20 years. Morgasse has a ~16 year old kid so, yeah, late 30s. Thom can't be 70 unless he was banging a couple 18 year olds at 50.

Also I can definitely see cutting out characters. I'm doing a reread, on book nine, and there are approximately seven hundred minor characters that constantly pop up and disappear for a book or two. The illuminator, the illian boat captain, Domon, Valda/Carridan, Luca, Elyas, Uno, Rhurarc, most of the Aiel, all the endless nobles, all disappear and then reappear then disappear again. I'd imagine they can't hire actors for a two minute appearance then a three year break before another one minute on screen.

Then the Aes Sedai. They can write out every single one except Moiraine, Verin, Alanna, Elaida, Sanche, and, uh, maybe Cadsuane? Maybe have Galina play her and Alvirian's part? Characters like Myrelle, Romana, Nisao, Merana, Pevra, Kiruna, the twelve dark sisters, Teslyn, etc are all totally interchangeable and all inexplicabley disappear between books. Cast three of them and subsume all of those characters into those three. Ditto for the men. I mean they don't have the screen time to give every character one minute of dialogue, much less develop personalities.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe they'll consolidate gawyn and galad

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Galad would be a better cut anyway. He contributes even less to the plot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

They better not write out Domon :mad:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Galad will definitely make it he's a relatable character

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hes also pretty important to Perrin

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, it's weird to me to imagine WoT without all of its side characters. It has to be that way, obviously, but... weird.

Like, Domon. Undoubtedly a minor character, but without him you have to do something different with the escape from Shadar Logoth. He's not really immediately relevant to the main characters at Falme, but he's how Egeanin gets into the story and without both of them Tanchico and Ebou Dar end differently and the Domination Band has to take a different path. Dude somehow manages to mostly only show up at climaxes, which honestly has to be a tough life.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean you could still have Domon be there on his ship

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Given that we've gotten pretty good info on casting so far, excepting "Steve", the fact that we haven't heard about a single Trakand, makes it seem like Elayne, Gawyn, Galad, and Morgase are all appearing first in season two. Though maybe Morgase and/or Elaida show up as part of the expanded Logain stuff the show is doing.

That said...

...this feels like a pretty decent idea. Gawyn only shows up sporadically and sucks when he does appear. If you need a "major" character to dump to smooth your production, Gawyn is at the top of my list. :colbert:

It does seem like they are just pulling Caemlyn out of the first season entirely, which sort of makes sense since you can get most of those character introduction in the Logain stuff or at Tar Valon. Also you do not have create both Tar Valon and Caemlyn at the same time which has to be useful production wise.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

*sigh* I hate to be one of those guys, but this is starting to look like it's going to land firmly in my "insufficiently accurate to source material" reject pile.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

rndmnmbr posted:

*sigh* I hate to be one of those guys, but this is starting to look like it's going to land firmly in my "insufficiently accurate to source material" reject pile.

That’s a super dumb reason to reject something, who cares if it’s telling a different story as long as that story is good

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

awesmoe posted:

That’s a super dumb reason to reject something, who cares if it’s telling a different story as long as that story is good

See The Shining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Too much accuracy can harm an adaptation because things that work in text can absolutely torpedo a film or tv series

I'm more interested in whether they'll get tone and messages that WoT tried to convey.