Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1342171659982286848?s=20

"mistake"
"his manifest error"
"It is possible that the prime minister has a different definition of what the phrase means"

144: Number of times per day a British journalist will avoid calling bojo a liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Apraxin posted:

:psyduck: we need to leave the EU because it likes peace, but then rejoin it when it's become the EF with a foreign policy of enthusiastic participation in America's wars

I mean, if the fact that we could follow the US gleefully and zealously into Gulf War II despite being in the EU doesn't convince him that we can be as bloodthirsty as we wish without consequence, I don't know what would. And the fact that EU countries other than us have been involved in all America's wars for decades, and almost all of the EU was aboard GW I and the Afghanistan invasion?

Also lmao does he not know what a federation is or is it literally "I love Europe and I want a Federal States of Europe but the idea of some Bundeskanzler saying "Maybe we should make sure there's real evidence before we bomb that country flat for the fourth time?" makes my blood boil"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The problem with voting against the deal for Labour is the question it raises: what’s the better alternative then? The UK isn’t going to negotiate a better deal at this stage, and this deal is better than nothing. I don’t think it’s so bad for Labour. Most remainers have accepted, unhappily, that Brexit is going ahead (I think), so better a deal than no deal, whereas for the leavers Labour is going by the will of the people and voting for a deal that sees us separate from the EU. Abstaining would please neither side.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm fairly certain we're now stuck in a time loop where the government negotiates a lovely deal, but because it's last minute we're supposed to accept the poo poo deal because the alternative is no deal.

If I remember correctly the next step is that the deal fails to pass parliament, the EU gives us an extension, then we get a PM who is somehow worse than the last.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

Also lmao does he not know what a federation is or is it literally "I love Europe and I want a Federal States of Europe but the idea of some Bundeskanzler saying "Maybe we should make sure there's real evidence before we bomb that country flat for the fourth time?" makes my blood boil"?

:iiam:

He either thinks a federation is a loose cooperation of independent (Sovereign!!!!) states - maybe he actually means confederation? - and also actually believes all the 'EUSSR' shite about Brussels being the centre of a authoritarian regime that overwhelms its members and so an actual federation would be an 'improvement' or he's the sort of Brexiter who would have no problem with the EU if it was HQd in London and was dominated by the UK (see also the related fantasy about reforming the Commonwealth as an EU surrogate...but only the white right bits, though!)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I think this is passing - massive majority means you have to be SUPER sure your vote against is counting and as this is Johnson’s ‘massive victory’ any Tory MP who votes against can assume they’re hosed for the foreseeable.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Red Oktober posted:

I think this is passing - massive majority means you have to be SUPER sure your vote against is counting and as this is Johnson’s ‘massive victory’ any Tory MP who votes against can assume they’re hosed for the foreseeable.

On the other hand, Funny Timeline.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm fairly certain we're now stuck in a time loop where the government negotiates a lovely deal, but because it's last minute we're supposed to accept the poo poo deal because the alternative is no deal.

If I remember correctly the next step is that the deal fails to pass parliament, the EU gives us an extension, then we get a PM who is somehow worse than the last.

Or it means brexit and 10 years of boris and his mates

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Putting the specific details of the deal aside, is the press really so shameless as to let Johnson get away with both (1) saying this deal would be very easy to get, don’t worry about it, etc. during the last election; and (2) bigging it up as a huge triumph that only he could have managed some twelve months later?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You know the answer to this.

Recently I’ve come around to the idea that, as an ex-journo, Johnson is one of us, so they really like the idea that this could be them one day, if they really felt like it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

therattle posted:

The problem with voting against the deal for Labour is the question it raises: what’s the better alternative then? The UK isn’t going to negotiate a better deal at this stage, and this deal is better than nothing. I don’t think it’s so bad for Labour. Most remainers have accepted, unhappily, that Brexit is going ahead (I think), so better a deal than no deal, whereas for the leavers Labour is going by the will of the people and voting for a deal that sees us separate from the EU. Abstaining would please neither side.

Labour did propose a series of tests about whether they'd support a Brexit deal but since that is now inherently anti-semitic because it was under the Corbyn leadership I guess Starmer has to abandon any idea of the opposition party opposing the government in any significant or vote winning way.

Labour in opposition has the luxury of being able to craft an alternative narrative about governance and what principles and structures they should protect regardless of what the government does or fails to do. However this seems to not be grown up sensible opposition that many centrists spent years calling for so now they must vote for the Tories crap Brexit deal.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TACD posted:

Does this keep us safe from the US chlorinated chicken?

Nothing for sure but better than no deal I suppose. I think Boris and chums were wanking themselves into a frenzy over their dream scenario of no deal followed by a big carve off for a Trump led US government that made them all rich regardless of the fallout. Biden is hardly Gandhi but he doesn't like Brexit and he definitely doesn't like gung ho Prime Ministers undermining the Good Friday Agreement so Boris did a 'ruh-roh' and a deal happened in the end.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Um, and also Labour is whipping for it anyway

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

namesake posted:

Labour did propose a series of tests about whether they'd support a Brexit deal but since that is now inherently anti-semitic because it was under the Corbyn leadership I guess Starmer has to abandon any idea of the opposition party opposing the government in any significant or vote winning way.

Labour in opposition has the luxury of being able to craft an alternative narrative about governance and what principles and structures they should protect regardless of what the government does or fails to do. However this seems to not be grown up sensible opposition that many centrists spent years calling for so now they must vote for the Tories crap Brexit deal.

I hear you on the tests but that was in very different circumstances. The general point about opposition is uncontentious but what would you have Labour do here in this specific instance?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Looking forward to seeing Keith vote for Brexit, and Corbyn vote against it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

therattle posted:

I hear you on the tests but that was in very different circumstances. The general point about opposition is uncontentious but what would you have Labour do here in this specific instance?

abstain? I'm sure starmer remembers how ;)

or at least a free vote

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

XMNN posted:

abstain? I'm sure starmer remembers how ;)

or at least a free vote

I think abstain pisses off everybody. Free vote makes a lot more sense.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The idea that Labour have to vote for this because it's better than no deal is ridiculous. The government has a huge majority so if the deal fails it's because they couldn't bring their own MPs on side. This frees the opposition to vote on principle.

If it's a bad deal they should explain why and vote against. Starmer has written for every right-wing rag out there since he became leader, so he has the platform. The trouble is he's more interested in avoiding bad headlines than building a position from which to hold the government to account.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

therattle posted:

Well in a general sense is have them stand for something, anything and then use that as a starting point to build policy and support from.

There's still millions of UK citizens living in the EU who are now solely depending on those EU states to give them residency rights to allow them to stay there, perhaps the fact that their existence is at risk is reason to oppose the deal? Perhaps international solidarity with EU citizens living here in a similar situation should be a reason to oppose the deal.

We're still dependent on some of the worst aspects of EU competition policy without any sort of inclusive or democratically accountable oversight or collaborative development between us going forward.

These are all great ethical starting points that Labour now appears to think aren't important or not worth fighting for. They are not performing the necessary principled policy work that builds loyalty and support and that's disastrous for a political party.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hbomber enunciating the 't' in "Christmas" is driving me completely around the bend

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1341805817566285829?s=19

These people are absolutely deranged

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

therattle posted:

Absolutely vote against it. It's going to pass anyway because the Tories have a monster majority so Labour should say it's a poo poo deal and vote against. When it all goes disastrously wrong they need to be able to pin it unequivocally on the Tories as being at fault.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The only fights Labour have actively taken up since last Xmas have been against it's own members and the unions. I can't believe there are people still paying a membership fee for the privilege to be told 'gently caress off scum' at every turn.

What did Keir say about Brexit in his leadership bid? A more cyncial man might suggest Keir 'Mr.Remain' Starmer held a strongly Remain position for as long as it was a useful way to outflank Corbyn and drive a wedge between him and the membership.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lungboy posted:

Absolutely vote against it. It's going to pass anyway because the Tories have a monster majority so Labour should say it's a poo poo deal and vote against. When it all goes disastrously wrong they need to be able to pin it unequivocally on the Tories as being at fault.

Absolutely. The default position of the opposition needs to be, "gently caress your poo poo, government" - they should only vote with the government in exceptional circumstances.

When the government is a Tory one, this goes a hundred-fold.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Remainers are permanently mugging themselves by living in a fantasy world the last 4 years

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There was once a dream that was a United Ireland. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... it was so fragile.

It's coming in 2024 now lads 

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ah, now finally i can start my rejoin party

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Gort posted:

they should only vote with the government in exceptional circumstances

...such as, say, a vote to confirm the final shape of some important constitutional change that was previously approved by a referendum?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Remainers are just mugs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Merry Christmas you bastards.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

There was once a dream that was a United Ireland. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... it was so fragile.

You think it'll take that long? I mean NI is now de facto its own EU member state.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

You think it'll take that long?

It's not important what I think, I trust Lt. Cmdr. Data implicitly

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

feedmegin posted:

You think it'll take that long? I mean NI is now de facto its own EU member state.

Everyone been blaming the poor old Russians as usual but Brexit was masterminded by the RA :tinfoil:

crispix fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 25, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Continuity NIP posted:

Remainers are just mugs

just reading about the stuff going on at the people’s vote, it just seems that having the same well connected liberals run these things is a recipe for disaster

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Everyone been blaming the poor old Russians as usual but Brexit was masterminded by the RA :tinfoil:
And its only known confirmed leader now that Gerry has been exonerated by the supreme court, Jeremy Corbyn.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Prophecy does say that when it happens the two Mr. Taytos will meet at the former boarder and will fight until only one remains.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

The Prophecy does say that when it happens the two Mr. Taytos will meet at the former boarder and will fight until only one remains.

https://twitter.com/IanFayArt/status/1314562853022633990?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Southern Mr Tayto is a creepy bastard :mad:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Free Stayto is real and he is my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
40 years in Ireland, north and south, and today I learn there are two Mr Tayto :aaa: