Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I was wondering that too, I remember reading about the incoming changes and thinking that'd be a good time to reinstall.

Yeah it's basically just bows = as before, crossbows = zooms in more, doesn't lose accuracy after a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Yeah it's basically just bows = as before, crossbows = zooms in more, doesn't lose accuracy after a while

Throwing weapons seem to ready faster and bows seem to have slightly different rates based on whether they're long or short bows.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BigHead posted:

Probably not if playing video games is your hobby.

lol

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Throwing weapons seem to ready faster and bows seem to have slightly different rates based on whether they're long or short bows.

Long bows seem more accurate. I've been meaning to buy one and try it out during a siege since not on a horse.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
There is a coop campaign mod under development. #GOTYmod

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandbl...utm_name=iossmf

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Valtonen posted:

Oh hell ya.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the xbox button for the radial menu?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Valtonen posted:

Isn't that just vanilla captain mode

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Enjoy posted:

Isn't that just vanilla captain mode

The background video is not showing the coop campaign. It's just the guy talking about it. The video is actually poo poo, but if they get it working then that would be amazing..

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

One of my companions is "staying at" xyz castle but I can't find him to put him back in my party.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

One of my companions is "staying at" xyz castle but I can't find him to put him back in my party.

Have you tried entering the map, he might be idling outside the keep

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the xbox button for the radial menu?

Is the radial menu even in the game?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Really enjoying my time with the game, but it's so rough around the edges. I was playing vanilla for 20 hours before I started diving into mods, and it's unbelievable how many QoL changes the mods bring. They almost turn it into a not-so-rough game. Being able to order your party members around should be standard! I also wish there was a way to talk with AI armies, and give suggestions, because they are absolutely stupid. I can't deal with the braindead siege issues, or bouncing between objectives. They'll besiege a castle and spend weeks spam building siege artillery that just gets immediately destroyed by the enemy defenses before the army dissolves due to cohesion loss. It's absurd. When you finally assault a castle and break down the gates, the enemy just forms a conga line at the door instead of pushing out to prevent your men gaining access?? They also don't really shoot you through the killhole either. So my guys will just smash through the initial blob and then slowly make their way down the conga line on each side. I spent the longest time grinding my way up from -200 influence (didn't realise raiding villages started wars and deducted tonnes of influence) and as soon as I had enough to get a somewhat decent army together, I rushed to it. I'm taking castles and settlements way more efficiently than the AI ever did. I don't know if I've managed to break the game though, my personal army rarely ever suffers deaths, and I curbstomp armies twice my own size. Caveat is I'm spending 2000 gold per day on wages, but the amount of loot I get from wiping out bigger armies keeps me absolutely balling. It just creates a vicious cycle where I can only function during wartimes, when it's peacetime, I hemorrhage money so I cheese it by sending companions off with quests and 90 troops for 30 days lol, negates upkeep completely. I would love to see a stand down / muster mechanic though. You can stand your troops down during peace time and then muster them during war, but it takes a solid 30 days to get them all back. So in the meantime, you just mass recruit peasants until your veterans return from their farms.

Battles are really fun, but vanilla made everyone feel so squishy? You're kitted out in really strong armour but die to hits from a fresh recruit. I installed the realism mod and things are much better now. Heavily geared units are super tanky and take a hell of a beating before they go down, whereas basic units die relatively easily. Only negative is that archers are pretty nerfed because of it (arrow shots do 2 damage to me), and they barely ever get as many kills as in vanilla.

Only issue I have with battles - even though they're incredibly fun - is mainly to do with map design. The ugly mountainous peaks that the AI loves camping on needs to go. It looks so ridiculous seeing a shield wall haphazardly camped on a tall peak, with archers splayed out behind them. Map design needs to make hills smoother but larger instead of little peaks everywhere.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

M&B Warband is $4.99 on steam. I'm sure many (most?) have it, but I never played it. It's a cheap game I can play on my laptop which I was looking for. And it's quite interesting. I'm looking forward to adding mods to bring in some QoL for sure.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

downout posted:

M&B Warband is $4.99 on steam. I'm sure many (most?) have it, but I never played it. It's a cheap game I can play on my laptop which I was looking for. And it's quite interesting. I'm looking forward to adding mods to bring in some QoL for sure.

Eventually try some of the overhaul mods too! Prophecy of Pendor and the A song of ice and fire ones are actually really good.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

tildes posted:

Eventually try some of the overhaul mods too! Prophecy of Pendor and the A song of ice and fire ones are actually really good.

I was surprised the mods aren't like I expected. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say bannerlord is already generating better mods in pre-release. Either way, it's a fun little game for 5 bucks.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/261550?emclan=103582791456145274&emgid=2915483382995190795

Pretty massive beta patch got released. Some big changes are they finally implemented rebellions, a bunch of maps for single player battles (14 in villages, 26 in field), a photo mode was added, and knocking people down with heavy weapons is finally added

unfortunately not all the changes were positive or necessary:

quote:

Fixed a bug that caused lords in map conversations to smirk easily and in illogical situations (wounded).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 25, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Are the maps in campaign or just for doing solo battles?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if i'm understanding the patch notes correctly i think they're added to the pool of maps that the game picks from when starting a battle scene from the overworld map. i don't have the game installed right now to check though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I kind of wish someone would make a mod that brings back Warband-style randomly generated maps with tons of 75-degree slopes you need to trudge up

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/261550?emclan=103582791456145274&emgid=2915483382995190795

Pretty massive beta patch got released. Some big changes are they finally implemented rebellions, a bunch of maps for single player battles (14 in villages, 26 in field), a photo mode was added, and knocking people down with heavy weapons is finally added

unfortunately not all the changes were positive or necessary:

Merry Christmas. I will drink eggnog from your skull.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

they finally implemented rebellions

!!!

This will probably suck at first, but I think it has the potential to be great, been waiting for something like this.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

!!!

This will probably suck at first, but I think it has the potential to be great, been waiting for something like this.

The way they implemented it sounds really cool. Basically if loyalty gets too low for too long, a town's militia production gets a big boost and then when it grows large enough the militia instigates a battle against the garrison. If the militia wins then the city breaks free of its ruling clan and eventually a new clan and kingdom is created.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shear Modulus posted:

The way they implemented it sounds really cool. Basically if loyalty gets too low for too long, a town's militia production gets a big boost and then when it grows large enough the militia instigates a battle against the garrison. If the militia wins then the city breaks free of its ruling clan and eventually a new clan and kingdom is created.

Okay, that sounds great. Small elite-ish garrison vs swarms of useless militia is an interesting contest.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I played 1.5.5, and some of the changes are great. Increased accuracy on horseback is nice (other than the khuz being more OP than ever). But now the bow has some stupid stutter shot where the aiming reticle zooms in, then stutters, opens back out halfway, and then finally zooms in for real. Who knows wtf that is.

I'm really looking forward to the option, soon, to gift castles and towns to bribe these clans.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lol they still never fixed the bug where if you have any companions in the cavalry group then when you select the cavalry your guy shouts "INFANTRY! :downs:"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gobblecoque posted:

Lol they still never fixed the bug where if you have any companions in the cavalry group then when you select the cavalry your guy shouts "INFANTRY! :downs:"

All of my formations are infantry, apparently...

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The patch notes said they added skeletons, which I assume means expansive skelton modding for unique units? For people, horses and camels. That could be interesting.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 27, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah poo poo I forgot to opt into the new beta so I've just been playing the old "stable" version which is not very stable at all lmao

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BigHead posted:

The patch notes said they added skeletons, which I assume means expansive skelton modding for unique units? For people, horses and camels. That could be interesting.

Nah, it's just something they wanted to add on halloween, but they're too late so they just dropped it on Christmas. Spooky snowtime, y'all

I'm kidding, in case it wasn't obvious

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh, so sometimes the game will throw up a message as if the game has crashed. But it hasn't crashed. It seems to be going just fine. Of course clicking on the "upload error report y/n" causes the game to close.

So I guess Taleworlds managed to make their crash reporter crash the game? haha wtf

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It's Schrodinger's crash. As long as you don't click the bug report the game is in a state of quantum uncertainty and simultaneously has and hasn't crashed. Clicking the bug report causes the crashed state to be observed and the game to close.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, I've not played this since 2 weeks after it came out.

Have there been significant changes? What are the best mods currently?

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
I just started playing Warband, and I was wondering what some good difficulty settings would be for a new M&B player. I'm not entirely sure what they do TBH, especially the AI settings. I did the first little batch of "kill these bandits for this merchant" missions, and it didn't seem too hard (though my soldiers sure do love to get caught on trees when charging forward).

Also, what's the best way to get your bearings in combat when a battle starts? Just go forward until I see dudes?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
For difficulty, the standard settings are probably fine for a new player. The early looter and mission bandits aren't too tough, it's more the lords and some of the high end bandits that will really test if you are able to turn it up.

Some people play with the damage to your own troops turned down even if they otherwise play hardest on everything else, just because it's annoying as hell to recruit a full army after every even fight.

DrankSinatra posted:

Also, what's the best way to get your bearings in combat when a battle starts? Just go forward until I see dudes?

Depends on what you are facing. If you're facing a superior enemy, don't worry too much about getting your bearings, put archers out front in a loose formation and put infantry behind in a shield wall. When the enemy starts to get close order the archers to fall back. If there is some nice high ground nearby sometimes you can even put the archers on top of the hill and the infantry at the base so the archers can pelt the enemy the whole way in and you don't even need to order them forward. Note that if the enemy has cavalry or horse archers, you might not have a ton of time to set up.

If you're facing an equal or lesser enemy, my general advice is to tell all your troops to follow you and lead them on an advance until you get eyes on the enemy and get an idea of what they are doing and then give orders based on that.

Edit: This was all for bannerlord, but it generally still all applies the same. I think shield wall doesn't exist in warband, so just normal line will do.

One other tip in the warband case, probably look into an overhaul mod like Floris sooner rather than later, as they really fix a lot of the game's shortcomings.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 29, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah there are a few big mods like floris or silverstag that don't add too much crazy stuff but do add a lot of Qualty of Life improvements

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Floris for a vanilla plus experience. Prophesy of Pendor for a total overhaul.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

If you're new to M&B, I'd definitely recommend going in and just doing a whole lot of repeated arena fighting. It gets you used to the way combat works and can build your skills, and there's no risk or loss attached with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks, but I will give my bruises some time to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
-says the man with a javelin sticking out his left ear