Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dual Sim support in ios sucks IMO. Maybe it's improved in ios 14 but I haven't traveled for obvious reasons. Not that android was perfect, but at least I can select which one in using to text somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Are there any MagSafe car mounts that also charge the phone out yet? Belkin came out with a car mount alongside the 12’s launch but it doesn’t even charge.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/EQJD2Bx.gifv

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Katt posted:

My company forced an Iphone 12 on me and I have a music question.

For 20+ years I have accumulated an MP3 collection. I found out how to get them on the phone but not how to get the phone to sort them by folders.

Like I will have a Nightwish folder and in there I keep all the Nightwish albums which works great.

The Iphone rips the albums out of the folder and puts them in a general "albums" collection. Which at first is "okay"

The problem is when I add a folder with 200+ 70-80s rock by varying artists. Now each song is assigned to its own separate album and now my album list is 100 units long. Most of it containing only 1-2 songs and overwhelmingly most of them are the wrong album names anyway.

It also assigns the wrong artists/albums to the song and flat out ignore the meticulously curated file names. It thinks "Comfortably numb" by Pink Floyd is "Kiss me here" by some band named "hit me"

The real question is what do you actually want it to do?

If you want it to recognise a folder as an album then that isn't a thing. Fix your tags.

If you want it not to rearrange files around then that's an option. Pretty sure it's even the default for ages now.

If you just want your "random poo poo" songs to not appear as albums then clear the album tag off of them.
If you only want to listen to just your "random poo poo" songs when the mood strikes then make a playlist of them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Other option would be to just use a file manager (e.g. Documents by Readdle) rather than the stock music app since it seems your music workflow is more similar to opening files on a computer than using a tag-based media manager.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

~Coxy posted:

The real question is what do you actually want it to do?

If you want it to recognise a folder as an album then that isn't a thing. Fix your tags.

If you want it not to rearrange files around then that's an option. Pretty sure it's even the default for ages now.

If you just want your "random poo poo" songs to not appear as albums then clear the album tag off of them.
If you only want to listen to just your "random poo poo" songs when the mood strikes then make a playlist of them.

It's thousands of Mp3s dating back to the 90s and tags never mattered at all before. Only file names. I can't manually edit them all.

Even since my earliest mp3 player I only ever used folders to manage music

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

It's thousands of Mp3s dating back to the 90s and tags never mattered at all before. Only file names. I can't manually edit them all.

Yeah, I guess the answer here is iPhone isn’t gonna play nice here, apples whole goal is the phone sorts it for you so you don’t have to worry about folders.

I assume you don’t have a personal phone. Why not just carry said Sony phone as a glorified MP3 player ?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

Now I’m triggered.

There are tools out there that will assign tags from folder/file names if you know regular expressions. I haven’t had to use them in literally decades because I’m not some kind of freak who ignores tags, so I don’t know what the current ones are.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah your way of wanting to organize your music flies in the face of what’s become the “standard practice” for about two decades. Ever since iTunes and iPods hit it huge metadata in your audio files became king. It’s definitely a bit of that whole just sync it and forget it. As someone else mentioned you want something more akin to a file manager that plays audio.

I feel like everyone I know had a month long period sometime in the 2000’s where they fixed all their metadata but then Apple introduced iTunes Match and that became pretty redundant anyways.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 24, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I use Mp3tag to edit tags on my music files. It can add tags and album from Discogs so you don't need to manually do it yourself.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I guess the answer here is iPhone isn’t gonna play nice here, apples whole goal is the phone sorts it for you so you don’t have to worry about folders.

I assume you don’t have a personal phone. Why not just carry said Sony phone as a glorified MP3 player ?

I tried that but then I'm carrying two phones with two phone logs, two cameras/storages two sets of bluetooth controllers for various devices/cars etc.

Eventually I want to share a picture/document with someone but I have to shuffle through two phones depending on which one took it and to which number it needs to be sent to/from.

Not to mention charging 2 phones and bluetooth headphones at the end of every day.

I actually used my $200 Sony (which has slots for 2 sim cards and 1 memory card while the Iphone 12 has room for 1 sim card and then virtual sim cards)

Because our original work phones were Huawei junk phones that I didn't like at all. Then we got Iphones but I have spent 2 days trying to move my Android experience to the Iphone but it just feels off.

I wanted to put my custom ringtones on the iphone but to do that I had to cut them down to 30 seconds, convert them to a new format and then manually change the file extension to a new format and then upload them through Itunes.

On my Android I just put them on the phone and then told the phone what mp3s to use.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Katt posted:

I wanted to put my custom ringtones on the iphone

Okay now you need to tell us what the custom ringtones are before anyone else helps you further.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Dave posted:

Okay now you need to tell us what the custom ringtones are before anyone else helps you further.

I just took the eyedrop sound from final fantasy tactics and wanted it for the notification sound when I get a text.

https://vocaroo.com/1czGsBge9MGN

I had to convert it from an mp3 to AAC and then change the file extension to .m4r

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I use Mp3tag to edit tags on my music files. It can add tags and album from Discogs so you don't need to manually do it yourself.

That thing is super handy in general and will probably help my car show the proper songs too!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Katt posted:

That thing is super handy in general and will probably help my car show the proper songs too!

MusicBrainz Picard is an automated tool that can just churn through the bulk with you not doing anything. You probably want to adjust match confidence up a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are apps out there now that do shazam-like audio matching to tag mp3s too. I've never needed to use one but I heard about 'em once and it seemed like a cool idea.

eg: https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Honestly, it’s always been a weak spot of iTunes how it deals with “albums” where you only have a single song. In album view they get mixed in with actual full albums. In my ideal world, there would be “full albums” as a distinct thing from “random singles” but not in Apples world.

Of course, this was really more of a problem ten years ago when we didn’t have every song from every album instantly available for $10 a month.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Katt posted:

used to use mp3tag but i've found picard to be better especially for huge sets of music:

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

efb

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

kimcicle posted:

I bought a 12 mini two weeks ago via the app. I picked the exact model I wanted and it gave me a list of stores I could go and pick up the phone. It wouldn't let me set an appointment for the same day, but some stores would have either the next day or the day after available. It would then ask you to confirm a reservation time. So it's not immediate, but you might be a day+ without a phone if the local stores don't have stock for you to buy from tomorrow.

edit: also note that they closed some stores recently, including every store in California.

I bought and picked up my 12 yesterday. I didn’t press the “buy” button yet when I made that post so I didn’t know I had to choose a window; I just saw that the phone was in stock at the store. I picked a window and was able to pick it up as soon as the order status said ready for pickup. (I asked before hand and they said it was fine, just that people with current windows get priority over me.)

Some thoughts going from the XS:

I like the flat side design but holding this phone is a bit of a pain. It’s like slightly wider so my hands stretch a bit more, and the flag sides don’t feel as nice to hold onto as the rounded XS. I hope I can get used to this size.

The lack of telephoto immediately came up on the first day I had the phone which made me sad and consider exchanging this for a 12 Pro (assuming my XS can’t be cheaply repaired). I took a walk through the woods and saw a heron across the pond and wanted to get a closer but well, no optical zoom.

Hey Siri works… differently compared to the XS? On my XS, I’m pretty sure that whenever I used Hey Siri, she would do a beep/tone to acknowledge that she herd my command ie: “Hey Siri, what time is it?” … doodoo … “It is 10:15.” But on this 12 she just responds without making that sound. I kinda like hearing that sound to be honest cause it lets me know that I don’t have to say it again louder from across the room.

Another thing I noticed with Siri is that I can once again use Hey Siri while audio is playing. On my 6S I was able to say “Hey Siri, I like this song” or “Hey Siri, what is this song” but that went away with the XS. Does anyone else with a XS have the same problem? (If so, is it a US region phone?)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

smackfu posted:

Honestly, it’s always been a weak spot of iTunes how it deals with “albums” where you only have a single song. In album view they get mixed in with actual full albums. In my ideal world, there would be “full albums” as a distinct thing from “random singles” but not in Apples world.

Of course, this was really more of a problem ten years ago when we didn’t have every song from every album instantly available for $10 a month.

This is the real heart of the matter. It IS a lovely situation that the Music app does this. It’s not really an edge case; the entire “Albums” category is useless if you have a bunch of singles on your iPhone.

It bugs me enough to pay for streaming to keep random playlists. That’s about all you can do unless you have time to gently caress with metadata manually all the time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I noticed today that a lot of the passwords saved on the "iCloud" keychain on my mac aren't showing up on my iDevices, in particular the "encrypted volume passwords" for my backup disks.

Needless to say losing access to those if anything happened to my Mac would be a big problem. Is there a way to access them via iOS, or do I need some other secure storage method?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Charles posted:

Dual Sim support in ios sucks IMO. Maybe it's improved in ios 14 but I haven't traveled for obvious reasons. Not that android was perfect, but at least I can select which one in using to text somebody.

I can’t get my eSIM to actually work, but I believe it gives you the option to set preferred phone on a per contact basis, and you can change it when you dial out as well. I am not sure if you can change pick it when texting.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Toe Rag posted:

I can’t get my eSIM to actually work, but I believe it gives you the option to set preferred phone on a per contact basis, and you can change it when you dial out as well. I am not sure if you can change pick it when texting.

On my 12 I can set it per contact but not per sim. So it only tells me when a known contact calls my work phone but not the phone number itself.

I can change to have one card dial out at all times and one card per contact (out) but I can't activate the prompt to decide before each call.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I hope you figure out what you’re trying to do but drat, I would never trust any workplace (or myself and drunkenness) enough to jump through so many hoops instead of just using a personal and a work phone and having them not interact with each other. Most I ever did was add workplace email to a 2nd mail app (Outlook) so that there was still some modicum of separation for a minute before deciding I didn’t want to see work emails on my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been using dual sims for a few years now on iOS and it’s... ok? Calling works well enough you can choose prior to the call or just have a preferred line per contact. Texting is an absolute crapshoot especially on the odd cases of people you both work with and actually chat/call off-work.

Also you can’t use 5G with dual-sims enabled. It’s defintely a “it’s there” feature that could use some improvements.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

wdarkk posted:

I noticed today that a lot of the passwords saved on the "iCloud" keychain on my mac aren't showing up on my iDevices, in particular the "encrypted volume passwords" for my backup disks.

Needless to say losing access to those if anything happened to my Mac would be a big problem. Is there a way to access them via iOS, or do I need some other secure storage method?

I don’t think those get saved to the iCloud Keychain. That’s pretty much just for Safari/web based logins. You’d have to go into the keychain utility on your Mac, export whatever and save that to your iCloud Drive.

edit: I played around with those more and yeah that's probably how you have to do it. The iCould keychain is for safari poo poo, wifi, some application passwords but it doesn't sync everything in the normal MacOS keychain.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 24, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope you figure out what you’re trying to do but drat, I would never trust any workplace (or myself and drunkenness) enough to jump through so many hoops instead of just using a personal and a work phone and having them not interact with each other. Most I ever did was add workplace email to a 2nd mail app (Outlook) so that there was still some modicum of separation for a minute before deciding I didn’t want to see work emails on my phone.

I don't drink. Plus the work phone has a ridiculously high bandwidth cap so I just turned my private bandwidth down to minimum and do all my surfing on the work card.

Technically we're not supposed to do private stuff on the work networks/computers but nobody cares. We have an IT department but they don't "watch" anyone and never dare to chastise anyone of us because employee turnover has been about 80% in the past 10 years and something like 20% in 2019 and recruiting new people is really hard and expensive so keeping the current staff is a very high priority.

Even our tech hardware isn't locked to the company. They just give us blank phones and the only thing they care about is that we call from the correct number and accept calls to it during work hours.

I don't mind seeing work stuff during my spare time because it's a super relaxed job and all our clients are just happy and grateful when they interact with us.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It can also generate tags from file names (even if you are someone like me who uses a slightly off format) and also show you blank tags, so with a few clicks you can turn hundreds of tagless mp3s into tagged files. It's somewhere on my all time favorite software list, even though I haven't thought of it in years.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don’t think those get saved to the iCloud Keychain. That’s pretty much just for Safari/web based logins. You’d have to go into the keychain utility on your Mac, export whatever and save that to your iCloud Drive.

edit: I played around with those more and yeah that's probably how you have to do it. The iCould keychain is for safari poo poo, wifi, some application passwords but it doesn't sync everything in the normal MacOS keychain.

I've never really thought about how secure iCloud Drive really is. What I'm looking for is a secure place to store my APFS passwords for my backup drives that I don't have to pay each month for.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

wdarkk posted:

I've never really thought about how secure iCloud Drive really is. What I'm looking for is a secure place to store my APFS passwords for my backup drives that I don't have to pay each month for.

I guess it depends on how secure you're talking. I would say if you have all the security poo poo turned on for your iCloud account you'd be ok. But you can take those exported keychain items and put them wherever you feel most comfortable. If you have a Google or Microsoft account those come with more than enough free storage and both of those services have stuff for authentication to make them secure.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

It probably makes more sense to sign up for Apple One if you want all that stuff. You can family share everything.

For us the $20 a month option made the most sense (don't care about news or fitness) and we got way more icloud storage plus apple tv for almost the same price for the services we were paying for individually (icloud and music).

So after doing some more research, I've come to the conclusion that all the services are share-able with family sharing, EXCEPT for Apple Music. To share Apple Music, you need to upgrade from the 9.99/mo individual plan to the 14.99/mo family plan. This presumes not signing up for any kind of Apple One plan.

The point became moot for me, though. I was thinking about switching from Spotify to Apple Music, but today I learned that my parents bought me a 1-year Spotify Premium gift card for GiftCardChristmas, so I guess I'm locked into Spotify for another year.

And it seems like most (all?) of the Apple One plans are kind of centered around Apple Music, so once you remove that, the plans don't make much sense.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't get the appeal of using an iPhone naked since like 4. I just don't get it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't get the appeal of using an iPhone naked since like 4. I just don't get it.
I don’t get the appeal of using an iPhone with the extra bulk of a case since forever. I just don’t get it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I feel like I would break it within a week. If not ding up the glass. How do you carry it naked? Just in your pants pocket? I mean every other naked iPhone I see someone set down has cracked glass.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've honestly simply used the apple leather cases because of the combination of good feeling in the hand and good protection (including a lip so the front glass doesn't touch the surface it lays down upon) without being hugely bulky. They have saved my iphones from drops even onto concrete ever since I had a 5.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Welp I bought a $200 8-64G to trade into ATT to get the $700 discount on a 12 instead of trading in my 8P-256

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've honestly simply used the apple leather cases because of the combination of good feeling in the hand and good protection (including a lip so the front glass doesn't touch the surface it lays down upon) without being hugely bulky. They have saved my iphones from drops even onto concrete ever since I had a 5.

:same: here. Decent protection, not much extra thickness.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey Siri works… differently compared to the XS? On my XS, I’m pretty sure that whenever I used Hey Siri, she would do a beep/tone to acknowledge that she herd my command ie: “Hey Siri, what time is it?” … doodoo … “It is 10:15.” But on this 12 she just responds without making that sound. I kinda like hearing that sound to be honest cause it lets me know that I don’t have to say it again louder from across the room.

Just tested this with my iPad Pro (2918) and I’m not crazy.

On the iPad (and XS) when I say “Hey Siri, what time is it?” there’s a set of beeps when I stop talking and then a set of (higher pitched) beeps before Siri responds. On the iPhone 12 there’s no beeps at all and Siri just responds with the time.

Another thing that’s different is if I say “Hey Siri…” and then nothing else, on the 12 Siri responds with a “uh huh?” sound, but on the iPad Siri does the beeping sounds.

Kinda weird but ok. Siri not doing the beeps has grown on me and now I wish my iPad did the same. I guess the A12X isn’t powerful enough compared to the A14 :allears:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shaocaholica posted:

I feel like I would break it within a week. If not ding up the glass. How do you carry it naked? Just in your pants pocket? I mean every other naked iPhone I see someone set down has cracked glass.
Yeah just in my pocket. I haven’t shattered a screen in over 10 years of naked iPhone use. They get some scuffed up corners and scratches in the glass but nothing too bad or anything that would stop me from getting the full trade-in deals when upgrade time rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

fourwood posted:

Yeah just in my pocket. I haven’t shattered a screen in over 10 years of naked iPhone use. They get some scuffed up corners and scratches in the glass but nothing too bad or anything that would stop me from getting the full trade-in deals when upgrade time rolls around.

When I ordered my 12 Plus I was quoted $800 for my trade-in. I'm OCD so when I bought it the very first thing I did was go into a steamy bathroom, open the box, and put it directly into a freshly opened Otterbox case with a glass screen protector. Apple gave me $700 because there were "scratches and dings". :what:

I guess some dirt could've gotten in there at some point during usage, but whatever.