Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Triarii posted:

The problem with right-hand rules is that there are also some left-hand rules and I can never remember which applies to what.

Left hand rule applies to acetylene fittings and 60s Chrysler lug nuts on the passenger side.

I'd say right side, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

In my house we say sunwise and widdershins

It’s ‘deasil’, heretic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

Swastikas aside that's still loving nonsensical. The point, as viewed from your point of view, is clockwise, or right. Thats why it has a loving name.

Can you not drive west because at some point you are, from your current position, actually driving east? We don't live in a 2D world.

Jfc theres no way this isn't an absurd troll that I'm falling for.

Clockwise is no more right than it is left, that's why we have the word "clockwise" to describe it because it describes a motion that isn't really properly described by right or left.

iwentdoodie posted:

I'd say right side, but

Depends on what country you're in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://mobile.twitter.com/donhertzfeldt/status/1341795799932547072

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"67 new replies"

Of course it's about something as stupid as clockwise / counter-clockwise vs lefty loosey righty tighty

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1342235192023339008?s=19

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
imagine four screws on the edge of a cliff

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1342314532006461441

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Huh, this is a good one. Why doesn't it have more oh my god it's not actually dril

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, not to attach any value judgement to it or compare it to any other methods or mnemonics; I don't get the thumb trick for remembering which way is clockwise.

You put your thumb up, then turn it to point right, and whichever way your fingers curl is clockwise? But my fingers are curling downward (and then back toward myself). What am I doing wrong?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tiggum posted:

So, not to attach any value judgement to it or compare it to any other methods or mnemonics; I don't get the thumb trick for remembering which way is clockwise.

You put your thumb up, then turn it to point right, and whichever way your fingers curl is clockwise? But my fingers are curling downward (and then back toward myself). What am I doing wrong?

you would point your thumb either into the screw hole or out of the screw hole (back toward yourself)

this derail sucks. merry christmas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ITT: we’re moving the wrench handle to the right to tighten the nut

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Obviously in this case you would move it to the north.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/dril_gpt2/status/1342316997388939266?s=20

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiggum posted:

... What am I doing wrong?

Reading.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I didn't want this to get lost in the weird pissy chat about directions, but yes. Marsupials have what you might call an underslung barrel. Also the marsupial penis is bifurcated to match the vaginal canal of the females.

Evolution is wild.
Thanks, I knew about monotreme penises but somehow had missed that fact. Seems like it'd get in the way, but I guess they make it work somehow.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/McSapra/status/1342122978687987718

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This was posted in the replies: https://twitter.com/namknarf/status/1342266268775288833?s=19

And gently caress I've been saying for years that there should be a Netflix Bloodborne prequel series with full on practical effects. Gimmie dem lumberin horseboys.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Son of Rodney posted:

Let me blow your mind right now and tell you that people under the age of 20 barely know how a mechanic clock works. It's like asking why people don't use starboard and port while driving because a car technically has a prow and bow.

I'm so sorry to add to the confusion, but a prow and a bow are essentially the same - the pointy end of a boat. The back end is the stern Also did you know there are colours associated with port & starboard? ( red and green) Sailing is fun! And very complicated! And has an enormous specialized vocabulary!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/empire_of_dust_/status/1340497876967931904?s=20

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

That's, uhhh, quite literally the correct direction to push the wrench in that orientation, just for future reference.

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Dec 25, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps but it is not the correct direction to tighten the nut.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Of course it’s lefty tighty, righty loosey when you’re doing plumbing.

Unless you look at the bottom of the screw then plumbing is righty tighty, lefty loosey.

From the left side it’s downy tighty, uppy loosey.

From the right it’s uppy tighty, downy loosey.

This is to prevent you from loosening the pipe when turning a nozzle, which is back to righty tighty lefty loosy from the top, and reversed all down the line.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Dec 25, 2020

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Pookah posted:

I'm so sorry to add to the confusion, but a prow and a bow are essentially the same - the pointy end of a boat. The back end is the stern Also did you know there are colours associated with port & starboard? ( red and green) Sailing is fun! And very complicated! And has an enormous specialized vocabulary!

Shame on me :( I'm not as good with nautical terms in English, in my native language I'm a real seabear I swear!

Also I didn't know that, that's cool!

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

MisterOblivious posted:

That's, uhhh, quite literally the correct direction to push the wrench in that orientation, just for future reference.

The picture says right but the arrow is clearly pointing to the left???

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

SiKboy posted:

Because Lefty Loosey is alliterative, and righty tighty rhymes. Thats why, its to help people remember. There arent many good relevant rhymes for clockwise.

Clocky locky

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A whole new type of nerd worse than sports nerds

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Whybird posted:

Clocky locky

This isn't bad

I'll still probably use lefty loosey because I have been using it for decades but I'll definitely mention this some day in the future to someone

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dragonwagon posted:

The picture says right but the arrow is clearly pointing to the left???

The ASVAB test isn't pass-fail, apparently.

yes, I get that it was a joke

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Dec 25, 2020

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Whybird posted:

Cocky locky

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

It’s best practice to follow that advice when possible to maximise the lifespan of adjustable spanners, but they’re made for turning in both directions. This is why the the opening isn’t orthogonal with the handle, as it is on ye olde monkey wrench:

Having the jaws canted off‐axis allows for double the number of angles the handle can point off of the nut at, in addition to the six options given by the nut’s rotational symmetry, and that means it can be used in tighter spaces.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
But how many days are in a week if you work out every other day?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MisterOblivious posted:

If we're being technical about it the correct way to move a spanner its into the trash to make room on my belt for channel locks instead.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1341119761510445057?s=19

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/standplaats_krk/status/1342220090876583936?s=21

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Extremely easy to say "oh yeah clockwise = right, if we're looking at a screw right on, and we only look at the top of the screw for its movement".

Easier to get confused when you have to reach behind something, you can't see the screw, you have to hold the spanner upside down, and right and left mean gently caress all.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Simply Simon posted:

Extremely easy to say "oh yeah clockwise = right, if we're looking at a screw right on, and we only look at the top of the screw for its movement".

Its almost like these are simple ways to teach young children and you should move past the need for such things.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was going to ask how any of you learned to tell time, but you've probably never had to read an analog clock.

Vigilantly Vigorous
Jun 23, 2007
How delightful...
If you turn a car right to derail this thread how would you turn the wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Vigilantly Vigorous posted:

If you turn a car right to derail this thread how would you turn the wheel?
I steer with my knees while posting, making the answer again quite ambigu