Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Playing through SRW V on the Switch. The original mech is really nice, love the stubby legs. Nine is very cute, too. Is X a direct sequel?

I am unfamiliar with Cross Ange so I looked it up after getting into its route split. It's horrible yet my friend said it was an amazing trainwreck. I felt bad for the Zola chick, until I read up what she did in the anime (bye bitch).

I feel like the UC units are underpowered compared to the SEED and 00 Gundams, but well, that's kind of to be expected? There seems to be a lot of Unicorn coming up (and Kamille) so I hope they do get better stuff down the line.

Also, I looked up the future route splits and there is a route split leading up to different final scenarios? Is this a true/bad ending thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Schneider Heim posted:

Playing through SRW V on the Switch. The original mech is really nice, love the stubby legs. Nine is very cute, too. Is X a direct sequel?

I am unfamiliar with Cross Ange so I looked it up after getting into its route split. It's horrible yet my friend said it was an amazing trainwreck. I felt bad for the Zola chick, until I read up what she did in the anime (bye bitch).

I feel like the UC units are underpowered compared to the SEED and 00 Gundams, but well, that's kind of to be expected? There seems to be a lot of Unicorn coming up (and Kamille) so I hope they do get better stuff down the line.

Also, I looked up the future route splits and there is a route split leading up to different final scenarios? Is this a true/bad ending thing?

SRW is the kind of series that expressly numbers its sequels. T has a DLC pack that nominally brings V and X together but it's more for fun and less of a coherent plot, so don't worry about it. X and T are both perfectly good individual games and mechanically build incrementally on V.

And yeah SRW has normal and "true" endings, typically based on reaching the last act on hard difficulties while setting up plot events in key series. For instance, in Z the true ending is attained by (among other things) changing the outcomes of certain events in Gundam SEED Destiny, and in Z2 by making choices related to Lelouch from Code Geass. One of the factors in V is how many characters you got the Ace achievement for.

Also consider stopping by the SRW thread if you have more questions.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 1, 2020

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Schneider Heim posted:

The ZZ gundam is basically a super, or at least that's what I played mine like.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Siegkrow posted:

The ZZ gundam is basically a super, or at least that's what I played mine like.

ZZ and Zeta both wind up insanely powerful, the other UC mechs less so but they're always super dodgy and can hit decently hard but you just get so many of them that you might as well only bring the good ones.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Caphi posted:

Also consider stopping by the SRW thread if you have more questions.

Okay!!

Fellas is Buddy Complex good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay!!

It was written by committee, which tells you everything you need to know about it. It's a strong contender for the blandest mecha show in existence. Also, the larger fight scenes are annoyingly difficult to follow because they don't do a good enough job visually differentiating between the good guy faction's mecha and the bad guy faction's mecha.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay!!

No

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Buddy Complex is a show that I would describe as paint-by-numbers mecha. It ticks a lot of expected trope boxes and is an okay but incredibly generic mecha show - until the big plot twist, but that happens at virtually the end of the show.

There are far, far shittier and less entertaining mecha shows to watch, but there's also a lot of better and more memorable ones, too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You have already seen everything Buddy Complex has to offer done better by other shows

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

You have already seen everything Buddy Complex has to offer done better by other shows

Pretty much this. It's like Real Robot Aquarion or Dendoh but with infinitely more boring mecha and an infinitely more boring plot that has all of one interesting twist that it does nothing with. Even SRW barely salvages it and mostly through having Heero Yui specifically setting out to gently caress up the plot.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Buddy Complex is one of those shows where you can play the SRW it featured in prominently and miss basically nothing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Schneider Heim posted:

The Xi Gundam is really good, and you can get a second one if you do it's secret requirements (the Penelope).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

As is the Nu and both unicorns.

Hell, the F91 is an excellent early to mid sniper unit.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Xi Gundam is really good, and you can get a second one if you do it's secret requirements (the Penelope).

The real poo poo is if you get the Missile Pod early and chain spam the MAP weapon.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Darth Walrus posted:

It was written by committee, which tells you everything you need to know about it. It's a strong contender for the blandest mecha show in existence. Also, the larger fight scenes are annoyingly difficult to follow because they don't do a good enough job visually differentiating between the good guy faction's mecha and the bad guy faction's mecha.

that is a big shame because it seems hella gay

the last non-Gundam real robot show I really liked was Majestic Prince, I also thought Argevollen wasn't bad after I recalibrated my expectations, but that's about it

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 1, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

the last non-Gundam real robot show I really liked was Majestic Prince, I also thought Argevollen wasn't bad after I recalibrated my expectations, but that's about it

I thought Obsolete was pretty alright, and the second season starts tomorrow. Short episodes, and not many of them, so it's easy to catch up.

I mean, it's at least better than what I've seen of Argevollen.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Speaking of recent 'real robot' shows, Price of Smiles was pretty alright as well.

Argevollen was the show that had (for me) the CG that was distractingly bad. I tried to explain the exact issue that bugs me, but this bit from the OP is a really good example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzU2Mo6SYkI&t=27s (27s in if the timecode doesn't work) "Lots of mecha shooting at each other with no discernable effect until one just falls over: The Anime."

I remember when it first aired seeing their set piece melee combat scenes and just thinking "oh ok the 3d model is just gonna clip into the other mech and then it's gonna fall over and spark a little"

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 1, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

The queerbaiting is also extremely designed-by-committee.

For lesbian mecha shows, there is also Rinne no Lagrange.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schneider Heim posted:

It's not really gay, unfortunately. The two male protagonists have a fairly standard "we can't stand each other but we work so well together!" dynamic going on, but one of them has a designated female love interest that consumes basically his entire motivation for the entire runtime, and the second one basically decides to wingman the crap out of that pairing.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

The queerbaiting is also extremely designed-by-committee.

Kanos posted:

It's not really gay, unfortunately. The two male protagonists have a fairly standard "we can't stand each other but we work so well together!" dynamic going on, but one of them has a designated female love interest that consumes basically his entire motivation for the entire runtime, and the second one basically decides to wingman the crap out of that pairing.

Which makes it kinda disturbing after the fact because they're grandpa/grandson.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pyronic posted:

Speaking of recent 'real robot' shows, Price of Smiles was pretty alright as well.

Argevollen was the show that had (for me) the CG that was distractingly bad. I tried to explain the exact issue that bugs me, but this bit from the OP is a really good example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzU2Mo6SYkI&t=27s (27s in if the timecode doesn't work) "Lots of mecha shooting at each other with no discernable effect until one just falls over: The Anime."

I remember when it first aired seeing their set piece melee combat scenes and just thinking "oh ok the 3d model is just gonna clip into the other mech and then it's gonna fall over and spark a little"

Those explosions are like something you'd see in a youtube poop lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RussellLatshaw/status/1333838550631030784

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, it's easy to focus on the trappings of Heaven's Day, like the traditional barbequing of wiseman burgers, or the fireworks when the Mariemaia army invades Brussels, or even the annual fleeing in terror from Satan Clause P10.

But, as Alex Rosewater reminds us, this season is really about the birth of the Son of God, and to a lesser extent, about making a really nice tree. That's what mech anime teaches us Heaven's Day is all about.

...Unless I'm confusing Big O and Charlie Brown Christmas again. I just can't remember.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I finally read the first two volumes of the Getter saga.

Won't say it's must read yet, but it holds up much better than Mazinger Z. The characterization is basic, but you get an idea of what makes the leads tick, and they're fun to watch. (It's also nice after Mazinger to see the heroes barrel through hostage situations instead of being caught offguard every time.)

It's made a little more awkward artistically if you read the Saga version, since there's a bunch of later art mixed in with the clean Dynamic Pro house style from the originals.

Overall, it's a quick read, and it's pretty fun. Going to be interesting to see it go crazy for Shin, Go, and Arc when I get to them, but even on its own, the first Getter manga were solid early Super Robot stuff.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to read in production order (as all right-thinking people should) it's go, shin, arc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

If you want to read in production order (as all right-thinking people should) it's go, shin, arc.

Well, I finished Go, at least. Shin, Arc, (and maybe Hien, why not) can come later, but I figure I should put some thoughts down now, especially since Go is the longest of the Getter arcs.

The art is very, very different, to begin with. I think it was probably an influence on James Stokoe, and the detail is reminiscent of the whole European science fiction comic scene. Not at all like the Dynamic Pro clean style of earlier, and it gives scenes a very different tone even when they have similar content. It makes the whole thing feel grittier and more apocalyptic, which helps with action scenes and philosophical trippiness, but it doesn't go as far as to make the comedy scenes feel alien to the rest of the atmosphere.

I think the return of the Dinosaur Empire definitely felt a little awkward. We spend most of the manga on Rando, we build up his personal grudge with Hayato, we see his generals infighting... but when the dinosaurs get going, all that is tossed aside, with Rando being dropped and forgotten while the protagonists get the Shin Getter. Similarly, Kei felt pretty pointless. She has some scenes with Go, she seems to be kind of building a dynamic... and then she's mind whammied by the Getter, arc over without even really starting. Gai gets more to do, both early on and in the finale, but it feels like something could have been done with his whole love of Getter early leading into hatred and fear. Nothing big, just a panel or two to make it feel more like a character arc rather than just a bit of drama at the end.

Even Go felt like the story didn't quite have a grasp on what he was supposed to be sometimes. Usually he played the newbie well enough, but the last bit had him just speeding through his relationship with Getter energy right as Ryoma was going through the same places, and it didn't really feel like the conclusion of how he started the story.

It was a fun read, but I was really expecting the Big Ideas to be more evenly paced through the story, not just all jammed in at the end.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1336779731564285953?s=21

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Acrobunch has a top tier OP from an era that was full of them*, though from what I hear it's story is both mostly nonexistent and weird in such a way that it's kinda obvious why SRW only touched it like once and didn't use any of it's plot

*though honestly the only bad in every respect OP I can think of for a Mecha show up through the 90's is Gordian(which has both a mediocre song and terrible and boring animation), as much as God Mazinger gets memed for it's OP at least it's a good song(albeit one that fits way better as an ED than as an OP)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think there's something to be said for solid episodic content which is what a lot of mecha from that era go for. Bryger is honestly one of the better mecha series I've watched recently and it was pretty much entirely episodic until the end. I'd rank it above several series with more serious and driven plots for sure

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I think there's something to be said for solid episodic content which is what a lot of mecha from that era go for. Bryger is honestly one of the better mecha series I've watched recently and it was pretty much entirely episodic until the end. I'd rank it above several series with more serious and driven plots for sure

Patlabor's mostly episodic too. So far I've liked the episodic OVAs more than the episodic TV show, but it's still good stuff.

Moving back to longform, I finished the Ishikawa Getter manga. Shin was good, and I liked how the art tried to go for a bit more of a middle ground between the original and Go.

It's interesting how Go had the Getter as a fundamentally benevolent force, despite its hazards, while Shin and Arc show it as the biggest threat in the setting.

It's also going to be interesting to see how the anime plays things out, since Arc ended right as things seemed to be hitting their climax.

Edit: Also finished Hein, which... was not good. You just get a generic doomsday villain, bargain bin versions of the Getter team, and a basic apocalyptic plot with a plant theme. It's also a remarkably fast read, with very little happening in its fight scenes to be worth slowing down, and very little that isn't fight scenes.

One thing that stands out, though, is how it plays with the Getter Emperor plot. In previous Getter Robo manga, Getter Rays were increasingly identified with humans, especially the original Getter team. It tied the heroes into the doom to come in a way that made a nice devil's bargain.

Here, there's just... some plants that are also superpowered by Getter for reasons. And the bad guy killed everyone's parents, so it's personal.

It's just... dull. (Not a usual problem for Getter.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 10, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm watching Patlabor TV for the first time too, fun stuff. Some of the eps could use a little more meat for me, I love the laidback feel, but sometimes I could use more character moments and stuff like that. I guess just the bear episode and runaway mecha episode back to back just felt like your usual monster of the week show, but a little bit quirky and slow. And really really good looking. But the first few episodes knocked my socks off.

Midnight Blue is one badass song by the way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm watching Patlabor TV for the first time too, fun stuff. Some of the eps could use a little more meat for me, I love the laidback feel, but sometimes I could use more character moments and stuff like that. I guess just the bear episode and runaway mecha episode back to back just felt like your usual monster of the week show, but a little bit quirky and slow. And really really good looking. But the first few episodes knocked my socks off.

Midnight Blue is one badass song by the way.

Like God Mazinger's OP is more of an ED, Midnight Blue is the sort of song that could kick rear end as an opening, even if it's used to close the episodes out.

And yeah. Those two episodes in a row were one of the first things to really kill my momentum. Patlabor episodes are kinda up and down, with really good ones next to dull ones.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I'll always have a soft spot for Patlabor. It was a highlight of my childhood since it was one of the few anime series on the local network that wasn't Doraemon (we didn't even get DBZ). The incongruity of having a high tech looking beast like the Ingram pull out an oversized revolver sticks with you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

I'll always have a soft spot for Patlabor. It was a highlight of my childhood since it was one of the few anime series on the local network that wasn't Doraemon (we didn't even get DBZ). The incongruity of having a high tech looking beast like the Ingram pull out an oversized revolver sticks with you.

It fits nicely with how mundane Labors are in the show. Giant robots aren't superheroes or weapons of war. They're construction equipment, and the show mostly treats them that way. Having guns look like guns instead of like futuristic superweapons helps keep things feeling grounded even when things get ridiculous. (Which they often do.)

In less grounded stories, I decided to flip through Mars (the manga for Godmars) since I'd already read Mazinger and Getter. You know, see the B-team after spending time with the stars.

It sucks.

To be fair, I haven't read all of it yet, just the first volume of five, but it's really, really bad so far. The first chapter stands out for ending on perhaps the worst opening hook I've seen, with a bunch of journalists just walking away from a story because the mysterious boy found alive on a volcanic island isn't able to talk to them yet, but the rest isn't much better. Instead of the usual slow build approach to an amnesic protagonist, Mars is pretty much immediately met with one of his coworkers, who talks about how they're aliens planning to blow up the Earth because of humans being so evil. (Credit where due, though, Japan's war crimes in China during WWII are one of the exhibits against humanity.) Further evidence is given in the form of... humans being willing to shoot the terrifying murderbot that came out of nowhere that seems to be taking aggressive action against them, and that refuses to communicate in any language but murder.

The hero responds by asking for ten days to decide if he's going to commit genocide, which he spends reading history books, the most boring method available. We also find out that the doomsday bomb is activated by Mars firing it... or dying. (A setup that seems to exist primarily to allow for the plot.)

It feels like it has Devilman's cynicism without any of wit in the execution.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I said it before and I'll say it again, most early mangaka are to be blunt really bad at storytelling and their reputations mostly exist due to a combination of their artistic skills and them establishing a bunch of tropes and concepts that later creators would use much better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, most early mangaka are to be blunt really bad at storytelling and their reputations mostly exist due to a combination of their artistic skills and them establishing a bunch of tropes and concepts that later creators would use much better

I've read a bunch of old manga, and I can't agree. Haven't gotten to everyone, but Tezuka had a lot of fun reads, Go Nagai's stuff was a mixed bag (God Mazinger was terrible, but Devilman lived up to its rep, which kind of shocked me when I was reading it), and Ashita no Joe... what can I say that hasn't been said? It's one of the greatest manga of all time.

Mars, meanwhile, is just bad. It came out in 1976, too, so it's not like it was a trailblazer any more. The mech aspects were done better in Getter, and the downer ending was much better in Devilman.

Funny to find out this is where Alberto the Shockwave is from because from all I've seen of Giant Robo, he's a total badass there... but here? He's just some rear end in a top hat who kills people with a weird giant robot. I'm not even sure if he gets a name. You can spend whole chapters watching the sphinx murder nameless army men to the point of killing all 39 million people in Egypt (which is treated with shockingly little concern from the cast) but spending some time making people care about the characters? Obviously giving names takes away from valuable laser murder time. (Not grisly murder like in Getter, though. Just lame bloodless mass death.)

You get more characterization in a 15 minute episode of Obsolete. Speaking of, the second season of that is out. It's fun, although the plot doesn't advance that much towards the first episode. I laughed at the last episode, if only for how all out they went on the gag.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I've read a bunch of old manga, and I can't agree. Haven't gotten to everyone, but Tezuka had a lot of fun reads, Go Nagai's stuff was a mixed bag (God Mazinger was terrible, but Devilman lived up to its rep, which kind of shocked me when I was reading it), and Ashita no Joe... what can I say that hasn't been said? It's one of the greatest manga of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6fyxUdFTNU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

question: what are the good mecha animes that have, like, adult main characters/aren't about child soldiers

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I... think Aura Battler Dunbine? Patlabor totalyl counts but it is about police and I dunno if that rattles your chains. Armored Trooper VOTOMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Macross Plus.