Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Back 4 Blood also coming out on PS4 or is it just PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Happy and good holidays to the good thread for good people xx

I got free money so I’m gonna buy dark souls, sushi ghost, and one mystery impulse game (miles morales??)

have a good day !!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

anyone ever play Little Nightmares?

I just beat it last week. Excellent sound design, art direction, and atomsphere. Absolutely terrible controls, to the point where I wonder how it was ever released in this state. The character just feels awful to move around. The depth perception is garbage and a lot of the "challenge" in the game is running away from enemies, battling the controls as you can see exactly where you need to go but miss a jump again or fail to grab on to a ledge again and die. And the loading times are like 10+ seconds every time you die, which add up.

I'm still happy I played it if only to experience the truly wonderful and grotesque imagery. Shame they didn't tune the actual gameplay a bit more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

imma buy some sony bux and grab superhot and indivisible

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:swoon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Anyone else think fallen order is supremely lovely? Aside from the poorly executed souls rip off combat system the sliding is tired as gently caress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dpulex posted:

Anyone else think fallen order is supremely lovely? Aside from the poorly executed souls rip off combat system the sliding is tired as gently caress.

I enjoyed it other than some wonky parry timings.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Mafia Definitive edition worth picking up ?

For $40, no. You will beat it in a weekend and there really isn't any replay value. But it is a solid game that is worth experiencing if you have never played the original.

If you have played the original, I would just skip it entirely.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Rom, the bodacious spider

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Highly disturbing imo

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dpulex posted:

Never played a Souls game but I didn't find the combat to be particularly bad or anything. Enjoyed the immersiveness/atmosphere of the levels (first one in particular hooked me as "oh hey, an actual good SW game") but found them too long and just kinda ran outta steam.

Bought it on sale and had some good times with it so not really mad all in all.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I may have to. Thanks for reminding me! I never really found much use for the site while the browser version still had a wishlist, but now...

By the way, for the folks who were discussing The Pathless, are y'all playing on PS4 or on PS5? I do see that it's cross-buy, but I'm just curious if there's a noticeable performance difference between the two versions.

Yeah, as Exquisite Tea said, it runs at 60 FPS on PS5, but I think most importantly the Dual Sense’s haptics add quite a bit to the experience in general, it makes the game better. Since the movement is based around shooting the diamonds scattered around the world to maintain a fast speed, you don’t have to aim because it auto locks, but you do have to get the timing right. The haptics very subtly communicate when it’s okay to release the trigger to shoot by vibrating and then when you can shoot you feel a little sort of click, but it’s very subtle and incredibly useful, and if you buy it you get both the PS4 and PS5 versions anyways.

But yeah I finished it yesterday and it’s really good, the boss fights were perfect and each of the few bosses only lasted about 2-3 minutes, which was perfect and never overstayed their welcome. I didn’t mind that the puzzles were easy, which I saw someone complain about, but if I got stuck on any of them I would have been way more annoyed than I normally would in a puzzle game like it, as it’s just meant to break up the traversal and exploration, and the world seems loving huge, which surprised me. Really impressive they made it work so well with no map, although your detective vision or whatever helps a ton obviously. Also has a couple of really cool references to Abzu and connects the stories in a vague way like the Team Ico games.

Only minor complaint is the voice acting/dialogue which isnt supposed to be any deeper than it is, but it still sounds cheesy and is sort of jarring, I prefer Abzu and Journey’s decision to not have dialogue but the story wouldn’t make sense at all I suppose. They could’ve kept it to just the tablets with text on them, but it’s fine. Also the music is good, but my least favorite from what I have heard from Austin Wintory, but it would be hard to top Journey and Abzu’s OST’s. There’s moments that are great, but it’s more that it’s stylistically different, as the games are obviously very different thematically and visually. Still, nothing comes close to this track from Abzu: https://youtu.be/OAJIU9nMbYY

Basically, if you enjoyed Abzu, Journey and similar games and think the trailers look cool, then I recommend it. It might seem steep at $40, but it took me maybe like 12 hours to beat? But I did a lot of optional stuff, and I’m going for the platinum trophy, so I thought it was worth it, and the size of the world and effort put into the game definitely warrants the price. If you’re unsure though, maybe wait till it’s on sale.

Also I thought I was being incredibly dumb at first because I couldn’t figure out what to do aside from the few puzzles I came across and then I got lost going in circles, until I realized I was running around the like small tutorial area, and I just needed to take the wind draft up to the actual rest of the game world. Escobarbarian seemed to have the same issue, so I’m glad I’m not the only one, but once you find one of the towers with the ropes that pull you up to the top, then you should know what to do, the game is pretty intuitive for having no tutorial, or direction I suppose , at all really.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Oxxidation posted:

little nightmares was perfectly Okay

the sequel's looking a lot more interesting to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_BJJm-n0g

yeah the sequel looks real smooth. can't imagine it'll be a full price game so almost definitely gonna give it a try

dantheman650 posted:

I just beat it last week. Excellent sound design, art direction, and atomsphere. Absolutely terrible controls

huge agree. one minute i'm really enjoying the atmosphere and soaking it all in, and the next i'm getting extremely frustrated at the controls where i'm missing very easy jumps/maneuvers. i would go back through it to get everything i missed but the controls really keep me from wanting to do it all again.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Man P5 royal really has a ton of qol features

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

Man P5 royal really has a ton of qol features
Is one of them not making every conversation take 3x longer than it needs to? “Show me, don’t tell me” was definitely not the motto of the developers, even more so than its predecessors.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dpulex posted:

I thought it was good. Certainly had some issues, mostly in the story's pacing where almost all the plot-relevant stuff happens in the last 2 areas. And then also in the difficulty, which is like a bell curve where it starts off a little challenging, dips into being easy the majority of the time and you can just button mash through most things, and then having 2 nasty difficulty spikes right at the end. Think I died more on the final boss than in the 10 hours preceding it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Imhotep posted:

A very helpful post about The Pathless

Excellent, thank you for the write-up!

The art of Spiritfarer is quite pretty. :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imhotep posted:

Yeah, as Exquisite Tea said, it runs at 60 FPS on PS5, but I think most importantly the Dual Sense’s haptics add quite a bit to the experience in general, it makes the game better. Since the movement is based around shooting the diamonds scattered around the world to maintain a fast speed, you don’t have to aim because it auto locks, but you do have to get the timing right. The haptics very subtly communicate when it’s okay to release the trigger to shoot by vibrating and then when you can shoot you feel a little sort of click, but it’s very subtle and incredibly useful, and if you buy it you get both the PS4 and PS5 versions anyways.

But yeah I finished it yesterday and it’s really good, the boss fights were perfect and each of the few bosses only lasted about 2-3 minutes, which was perfect and never overstayed their welcome. I didn’t mind that the puzzles were easy, which I saw someone complain about, but if I got stuck on any of them I would have been way more annoyed than I normally would in a puzzle game like it, as it’s just meant to break up the traversal and exploration, and the world seems loving huge, which surprised me. Really impressive they made it work so well with no map, although your detective vision or whatever helps a ton obviously. Also has a couple of really cool references to Abzu and connects the stories in a vague way like the Team Ico games.

Only minor complaint is the voice acting/dialogue which isnt supposed to be any deeper than it is, but it still sounds cheesy and is sort of jarring, I prefer Abzu and Journey’s decision to not have dialogue but the story wouldn’t make sense at all I suppose. They could’ve kept it to just the tablets with text on them, but it’s fine. Also the music is good, but my least favorite from what I have heard from Austin Wintory, but it would be hard to top Journey and Abzu’s OST’s. There’s moments that are great, but it’s more that it’s stylistically different, as the games are obviously very different thematically and visually. Still, nothing comes close to this track from Abzu: https://youtu.be/OAJIU9nMbYY

Basically, if you enjoyed Abzu, Journey and similar games and think the trailers look cool, then I recommend it. It might seem steep at $40, but it took me maybe like 12 hours to beat? But I did a lot of optional stuff, and I’m going for the platinum trophy, so I thought it was worth it, and the size of the world and effort put into the game definitely warrants the price. If you’re unsure though, maybe wait till it’s on sale.

Also I thought I was being incredibly dumb at first because I couldn’t figure out what to do aside from the few puzzles I came across and then I got lost going in circles, until I realized I was running around the like small tutorial area, and I just needed to take the wind draft up to the actual rest of the game world. Escobarbarian seemed to have the same issue, so I’m glad I’m not the only one, but once you find one of the towers with the ropes that pull you up to the top, then you should know what to do, the game is pretty intuitive for having no tutorial, or direction I suppose , at all really.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dpulex posted:

Yes, I thought it was rubbish!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas wonderful PlayStation goons!!!! I hope none of you got Jedi Fallen Order for Christmas

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fallen order isn’t rubbish it’s just super meh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/jackmactonight/status/1342197431711092736?s=21

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always just felt bad pulling off sick viscerals on the Swedish chef. He just wanted to dur de durr .

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Merry christmas everyone

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Michael Caine wouldn’t be my first choice for Gehrman but I’m sure he’d do a drat fine job of it anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's santa day!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

"Our assets are frozen!" from A Muppet Christmas Carol never fails to make me laugh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been revisiting the past year of posts here trying to figure out what I played this year, what a wild ride, remember what we were talking about a year ago

Donovan Trip posted:

Uncut Gems is the sekiro of movies. Far too challenging for casuals, winning all the awards, tightly executed panic inducing and beautiful.

Edit:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 25, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Escobarbarian posted:

Merry Christmas wonderful PlayStation goons!!!! I hope none of you got Jedi Fallen Order for Christmas

I got Yakuza 7 for christmas from my brother and Ichiban owns

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought Fallen Order sucked out loud. It is maybe 2-3 good ideas buried under a mountain of bullshit, and it is also an extremely buggy and half-baked game. The difficulty levels were added last minute and barely tested, and the cosmetic rewards for exploration are straight up insulting.

Also it’s possible to get a special item in the game, but depending on whether or not you get it on the starter planet or the final planet, it comes with a cutscene and lore OR it comes with absolutely nothing.

I remember me and a few other goons just tearing it to shreds in the thread.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
My own opinion on the game isn't quite that harsh, but Fallen Order is pretty much a game made for Star Wars fans. If you love Star Wars, you will really love that there is a game that lets you open-world roam on multiple worlds with a solid if not amazing plot and that the gameplay is actually decent. If you're not a Star Wars fan, it's basically a middling knock-off Sekiro with some metroidvania world exploration mechanics thrown in, which is certainly not shabby, but individually not anything other games don't do exactly the same way but better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hahaha

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Fallen Order was really bad and I dropped it after an hour.

Merry Christmas everyone !

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Foulin' Odor

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fallen order had a great finale, everything leading up to that ehhhhhh not so much

it desperately needed some kind of fast travel option

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It needed literally any incentive to unlock the 14 different green ponchos

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The sheer lack of any good reason to explore the open world because there's literally nothing to find except for more cosmetic garbage is definitely the biggest failing of the game. You don't give your game an open world and metroidvania mechanics and then make it so there is no point whatsoever in ever going anywhere except to the next plot beat.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i generally like video games I play, like when I buy a game I do my best to enjoy it or find some aspect of it taht i like, and goddamn i haaaated Fallen Order. Sometimes I found it boring, sometimes I found it stupid, and sometimes I found it absolutely outright bad. The combat never felt good even once. I really like Star Wars and I don't think it hit the vibe at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The sheer lack of any good reason to explore the open world because there's literally nothing to find except for more cosmetic garbage is definitely the biggest failing of the game. You don't give your game an open world and metroidvania mechanics and then make it so there is no point whatsoever in ever going anywhere except to the next plot beat.

there are a bunch of health vial upgrades for BD and i had no idea any of them existed until like 8 hours in

glad i realized, because some of the later encounters would have been very frustrating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

there are a bunch of health vial upgrades for BD and i had no idea any of them existed until like 8 hours in

glad i realized, because some of the later encounters would have been very frustrating!
Yeah, those are basically the only exception to that. There is only one per planet, though, and every time you find another crate and it's just yet another stupid-looking poncho, it's just so incredibly frustrating.