Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I've always used olive, it works fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Happy Christmas to those that celebrate it!

Keep safe everyone!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If any of you have unreconstructed luddite friends who refuse to have truck with any form of messengers, zoom, whatsapps etc yet always manage to call you when you're having a snooze so you have to call them back at extortionate mobile phone rates, I discovered this site yesterday where you can make free calls.
I called a friend earlier on it and got 4 minutes:

https://www.poptox.com/free-international-calls

Availability is not guaranteed. I made my call before the USA got up.

(NB miss out the 0 after the country code unlike with skype. So if it's a UK call to London: +44 208 NOT +44 0208 (don't worry it will tell you the number is wrong if you put that 0 in.)

Merry Crimble.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jose posted:

Merry Christmas

Pheasants are maybe the stupidest animal and it really takes the shine off danny champion of the world once you learn that

I can confirm this. I live near a couple of pheasant shoots, and more of them end up being splatted on the roads than shot. I've killed a few that have been stood on the side of the road and decided to dodge into the path of my car.

The meat's pretty much worthless. The paying shooters don't want to dirty up the inside of their 20-plate range rovers with dead pheasant, and the gamekeepers sometimes struggle to even give the birds away. I'm pretty sure most of them end up as dogfood.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OwlFancier posted:

Would olive oil work? I thought it had too low of a smoke point. Never tried making yorkies with it, vegetable oil or lard is all I've ever known to be used.

If your oven can get oil to its smoke point then I'd be pretty impressed. Olive oil should be fine as long as you're OK with the flavour.

e: I looked it up and olive oil can have a smoke point as low as 190C, so I guess there's a small chance. Should still be fine as long as you're not using the really expensive stuff.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 25, 2020

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Hopefully the flavour of the light one won't come through too strongly

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
All the best of the season to you all, I have over eyes swollen shut and bad light sensitivity in the other. If I go blind its been nice talking to you. Except you, you know who you are.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Hey man. That sounds bad. I hope you're OK. I hope you're not entirely serious (or at all serious) , but if you are then please don't do anything drastic, but just shitpost here instead.

I had a delicious breakfast and have managed to stave off any thoughts of seriousness. I’ve just had a really, really, really poo poo year and I don’t see it getting any better, but shitposting here has definitely helped. Thank u kind goon :unsmith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like your posting Jakabite.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bobstar posted:

I am choosing to believe you mean one of these two defintions:

(informal, dated, Britain, Cambridge University) A social event featuring sketches, songs, etc., whether or not smoking is carried out.

A vent in the deep ocean floor from which a plume of superheated seawater, rich in minerals, erupts.

Given this year I'd rather go for the ocean floor vent.

So after eating way too much Chinese last night... I'm entirely not hungry and thanks to the acid blockers haven't digested any of it! Boo! Hopefully I'll be hungry by 6pm =(

Have a lovely day goons. Just opened loads of presents on the bed from various relatives and now trying to not fall asleep under a pile of cats and cat related presents. We got sent 5 cat mugs!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deketh posted:

Thanks mate, I'll go with the the light then

Personally I'd not, because to get a proper Yorkie you need the fat at whatever the highest temp your oven can do when you pour the batter in, and olive oil's smoke point is somewhere below that.

Having said that a lot of the oil gets absorbed into the batter (you know you've done it perfectly when there's just a teeny tiny bit of oil/fat at the bottom of the tray) which is why beef dripping is best, coconut oil might give it a bit of a weird taste. One trick I've used is sunflower oil with like a tiny corner of an oxo cube thoroughly mixed in (or just some of the beef juices if you're cooking beef) to give it a bit of flavour.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Extra virgin olive oil has a much lower smoke point than light. Wikipedia has a great smoke point time

I've started on the booze before eating today it's going to get messy

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Merry Christmas UKMT goons.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Extra virgin olive oil has a much lower smoke point than light. Wikipedia has a great smoke point time

I've started on the booze before eating today it's going to get messy

I'll be honest Jose, I'm impressed it took you this long to start on the booze

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lol grandparents zoom call lasted like 2 mins cause they cba with computers. Bless.

Started drinking already coz people sent me lots of beer, as a current lightweight this is surely a good idea

Chestnut sausage stuffing and roasties later, and a duck and other things but that's the main event for me

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I like your posting Jakabite.

I like your posting too owly. I’m feeling a little better now. It can just be a little overwhelming sometimes - just like, everything. Lord of the Rings tomorrow, anyway, which is definitely something to look forward to. Basically an 11 hour motivational speech.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Personally I'd not, because to get a proper Yorkie you need the fat at whatever the highest temp your oven can do when you pour the batter in, and olive oil's smoke point is somewhere below that.

Having said that a lot of the oil gets absorbed into the batter (you know you've done it perfectly when there's just a teeny tiny bit of oil/fat at the bottom of the tray) which is why beef dripping is best, coconut oil might give it a bit of a weird taste. One trick I've used is sunflower oil with like a tiny corner of an oxo cube thoroughly mixed in (or just some of the beef juices if you're cooking beef) to give it a bit of flavour.

Hmm now I don't know what to do, I don't really want to taste coconut oil and I don't want to burn the olive oil. I have some Trex in the fridge, I don't know why, is that a decent option?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I have as per my name a (fancy lemon) gin and tonic. Putting the turkey on in an hour.

Merry Christmas comrades! You helped keep me sane(ish) in the hell dimension that is 2020. Hope to organise a London meet up when the 'roni has gone.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Trex is vegan lard, so that should be perfect. Might try it myself actually.

I plan to make this later, assuming I can be bothered:

https://vegsoc.org/recipes/woodland-pie/

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jakabite posted:

I like your posting too owly. I’m feeling a little better now. It can just be a little overwhelming sometimes - just like, everything. Lord of the Rings tomorrow, anyway, which is definitely something to look forward to. Basically an 11 hour motivational speech.

We marathoned the trilogy recently, it was a fun day. We had snacks lined up and got food delivered and had a few drinks. It really was great seeing them back to back, enjoy it tomorrow.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bah humbug to you all. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Wolfsbane posted:

I am disspointed they didn't go with "T-rex".

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Olive oil is fine, the thing about getting it really sizzling before you pour the batter in is unproven, what has been demonstrated is resting your batter for as long as possible (even a day or more) gives a consistently better rise and texture.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

Sweet, thank you

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

Merry Christmas

Pheasants are maybe the stupidest animal and it really takes the shine off danny champion of the world once you learn that

i once saw one run out across a road with a car coming. it had time to run across but turned and ran directly at the oncoming car :(

i don't think it suffered at all, at least. it made a noise like BOOF

boof

like that

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Growing up in the Sussex countryside pheasants were by far the most common roadkill so I can believe that. The most oblivious birds.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Marxmas to all, and to all according to their needs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Growing up in the Sussex countryside pheasants were by far the most common roadkill so I can believe that. The most oblivious birds.

This happened in my grandparents part of Ireland when I was kid 40 years ago.
We would go visit them once a week, and you would get pheasants jump flying across the road in front of you.
I think we hit a few and took them home to eat, but not sure, memory is hazy.

Don't see them nowadays though, they must be extinct in the area

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be honest Jose, I'm impressed it took you this long to start on the booze

Hey now I may be an alcoholic but I usually drink later in the day

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Happy rjombuses you pieces of poo poo

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Happy Christmas all!

I've never been a huge Christmas person, but being stuck in my flat in tier 4 make me realise I do love spending a day with people. Instead, this Christmas I'm grinding federation rank on Elite Dangerous.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Have a good one comrades. Do whatever the hell you want and enjoy it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
If there are no food shortages in the new year how long will it take y'all to eat through your stockpiles? I think i have enough pasta to do until next Christmas :yum:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Oh lol this isn't the switch thread.

Merry Christmas all.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 25, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

If there are no food shortages in the new year how long will it take y'all to eat through your stockpiles? I think i have enough pasta to do until next Christmas :yum:
Boris' deal still means extra customs checks at the border, doesn't that mean we still get queues at the ports and lorries backed up in Kent?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that reminds me, there is a sticker with a helpline number on my 1990s tumble drier that i am tempted to ring every time i use it just to see if someone is still there

do any of yous remember those adverts for batchelors in the 1990s with the lady and the bloke who manned the helpline but were bored because nobody rang (because batchelors food is so easy to make)!!!!!!! and there was a real number you could ring and speak to people who said they were the people in the ad

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Boris' deal still means extra customs checks at the border, doesn't that mean we still get queues at the ports and lorries backed up in Kent?

i'm in NI

nobody knows where the border is anymore after shooting and bombing the poo poo out of each other for 30 odd years over it, way she goes i suppose :geno:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

crispix posted:

Depends on the things i got, but things like the meat i got will last until the end of Feb; pastas porridge and such until summer.

Thing is, it's stuff we're going to eventually eat anyway, we just don't have to go to the shops for it as often.

I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing again to cut down on trips to the supermarket at the weekends over the year.

Not sure on the environmental impact though, like we've got a new freezer running 24/7 in the garage, but does that offset the half hour drive to and from the supermarket?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The Holy Bible is still a loving masterpiece.

Happy Holidays, goons.

Look at this man with an absolutely correct opinion. Always been in my top 5 & James Dean Bradfield is so underrated as a guitarist.
All the best to everyone on this magical day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

nobody knows where the border is anymore after shooting and bombing the poo poo out of each other for 30 odd years over it, way she goes i suppose :geno:
Boris Johnson has spoken, and it's now apparently right here

Not sure how this will affect his very real bridge.

Kin posted:

Not sure on the environmental impact though, like we've got a new freezer running 24/7 in the garage, but does that offset the half hour drive to and from the supermarket?
Almost certainly better, even if you have an electric car.